Author Topic: Das Keyboard 4 quick review  (Read 10101 times)

Offline suby4me

Das Keyboard 4 quick review
« on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 01:29:08 »
Hey all, just decided to do a quick review on the das keyboard 4. Bare with me, as this is my first review. I may use terminology incorrectly in my explanations, so I'd like to apologize for that. Now with that out of the way, lets start.

Here is the box. Pretty simple:

Upon opening the box:

The ruler was of course on the leet text, "the footbar ruler" Ignore the keycaps there. It's from another keyboard.

Here is the keyboard, with some caps changed and compared with the das keyboard mac version:

As you can see, the shape is identical. Not much difference in looks except for the fact that its now a slick anodized aluminium top panel, rather the plastic glossy look. Less fingerprints is always a plus for me. You'd think with the new plate there would be some heft, but compared to the old keyboard, not much of a difference. While the face is the same, it is thinner than it's predecessor.

The new additions, the media keys:

They work pretty well, with a big volume nob on the side. There is a click as you move the knob, which I like. This ensures that you don't accidentally hit the knob and shift it high enough that if you were wearing  headphones, pop an ear drum. I find the keys to be useful, as I can quickly pause my music and waltz off. Gives me the option to be even more lazy, instead of moving my mouse to my music app and then click stop. There is a bright blue led that lights up when cap lock, scroll lock, or num luck is activated. Since I'm using this for mac, the only light that pops is if I have caps on.

We can see that the usb ports have been moved. Originally it was on the side where the volume nob was, but due to these additions its been shifted to the top. They are usb 3.0 which is nice. I'm not sure if the move was a good thing or not, as it all depends on how people place their keyboard.

Here is the ruler on the bottom. Rather having the standard feet you can plop, the ruler now replaces that. According to the das keyboard website, the ruler adds an optimal "4 degree angle." It's hard for me to express this, as I've never used the feet before in any of the keyboards I owned. It feels subtle, barely of an angle compared to my old das keyboard that still had the standard feet. I'm not sure how this will effect others, but I seem to be okay.

As you can see it's held by just a magnet that's on the keyboard, rather the ruler itself.

Just the ruler. I'm still unsure of how useful this is. I mean it's kind of a hassle to take the ruler itself to use. I don't know if people will simply lift the keyboard and yank it off. I guess its useful if you really need to measure something and there is no ruler in close proximity.

I tried using some of the old keycaps off my mac version. As you can see, there is a slight height difference between the older caps and the new ones being used here. Not the end of the world, but it's there. As for the switches, they are cherry blues. I don't know if its just me, but it feels a bit different when I push the keys compared to my mac version. It's hard to describe. On my old mac, I could feel a nice clack response. These are good, but it feels a bit mushy. It's hard to explain. I'm sure someone might understand where I'm going with this.

Overall the keyboard isn't bad. I dig the aluminum plating, as I don't have to worry about finger prints. The keyboard also requires only one USB port to plug in, rather than two on the older models. I believe the best feature is NKRO that is easily activated by hitting shift and mute together at the same time. There isn't a function key anymore either. The media keys are a welcome and I find myself using them constantly. I still like the type on the mac keycaps than the ones on the new das keyboard. While I appreciate it to look more standard, I like the font they used on the older mac version. I've been swapping out keycaps and it seems to work fine. I might eventually replace all of them and see how that goes.

I hope this review was informative  ;D
current: poker 2 | HHKB pro2, Novatouch | off: das keyboard 4 | Ducky 3 TKL | death by coffee das keyboard mac ver. | razer blackwidow | whitefox | corsair K70 RGB

Offline Lu_e

Re: Das Keyboard 4 quick review
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 02:29:28 »
Not too bad. Thanks for the review. Are the keycaps nearly the same height as your colored clover and cloud keycaps? It almost sounds as if the new caps are lower is that what you're saying? I have a hard time believing they would go Cherry profile... I cant tell whats old and whats new caps in your pic.

Also wouldnt mind seeing the stabilizers... Are they still Cherry style?

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 07:58:13 »
how's the build quality? Still there like the previous das keyboards?

Would you recommend it? Or would you recommend a filco or ducky for that price?

Does the drivers install well? Or plug and play?

The connection to the kb is a USB3.0 also i hope?

Since it only requires 1 USB port to work, are there any issues with the 2 3.0 usb ports not having enough power? Like what if I decided to plug in 2 ext hard disks? Or charge my phone?

Offline suby4me

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 10:18:03 »
Not too bad. Thanks for the review. Are the keycaps nearly the same height as your colored clover and cloud keycaps? It almost sounds as if the new caps are lower is that what you're saying? I have a hard time believing they would go Cherry profile... I cant tell whats old and whats new caps in your pic.

Also wouldnt mind seeing the stabilizers... Are they still Cherry style?

The keycaps are actually a bit taller than the colored keycaps that I have. Not that I mind. You're right, the height of the new caps is lower than the older key caps. Some pics:

The left is from the mac version, and the left is the new das 4

In this shot, you can kinda see a somewhat difference between the two.

Hard to see the difference, but it's subtle.

Stabilizers:

The cherry blues (das 4 top image) compared with the mac version blues (bottom image):

Looks like the same manufacturer for the switches.

how's the build quality? Still there like the previous das keyboards?

Would you recommend it? Or would you recommend a filco or ducky for that price?

Does the drivers install well? Or plug and play?

The connection to the kb is a USB3.0 also i hope?

Since it only requires 1 USB port to work, are there any issues with the 2 3.0 usb ports not having enough power? Like what if I decided to plug in 2 ext hard disks? Or charge my phone?

The build quality is actually pretty good, if not better than the previous versions. It feels a lot more durable, especially with the aluminum plate. With my mac version, I could usually push the plastic plate in. The das keyboard 4 doesn't really flex and as a nice hard thump when I tap the plate.

The price is steep, but I usually enjoy das products. I have a ducky TKL 3, and I really like it for the leds and style. However, I always find myself going back to the das. I guess I feel a bit more productive. In the end, it depends on what you're looking for. If you just want a simple keyboard, with no leds and what not, and just for pure typing fun, the das is great. I can't say much with the filco, as I've never used them before. From what I've read, you can't go wrong if you picked one up.

There are no drivers, just straight plug in play. I use a mac, and it was pretty easy to set up. Media keys worked fine also.

For the USB, there isn't any issues. It actually works pretty well, even with one cord needed to plug the keyboard in. I tested it with my phone and an external usb drive, and it worked just fine. However, I have my keyboard plugged into a regular powered USB 2.0 hub and that's not enough to power the external. My phone would still charge, but I did get one of those messages saying not supported yada yada. So if its keyboard direct to your laptop or pc, works fine. If you plug it into a hub, there are issues. It could be just the fact I'm using an old hub that its causing those issues. It'll probably be okay with the newer USB 3.0 hubs.
current: poker 2 | HHKB pro2, Novatouch | off: das keyboard 4 | Ducky 3 TKL | death by coffee das keyboard mac ver. | razer blackwidow | whitefox | corsair K70 RGB

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 17:25:22 »
I'm wondering... are the media keys mechanical as well or did they make those rubberdomes? How do they feel?
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline suby4me

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 19:09:46 »
I'm wondering... are the media keys mechanical as well or did they make those rubberdomes? How do they feel?

Feels like rubber. If the layout is the same as the mac version (prob is), there isn't any room to have cherry switches. When I cracked open the mac version, it was a PCB with the USB ports in that upper right region.

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 19:35:10 »

You mean the one on the right for the das 4 :)

and thanks alot for your reply!
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 April 2014, 19:38:33 by Razor Lotus »

Offline Belfong

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 20:02:16 »
I find it interesting that DAS used l33t speak when their target market for the professionals are non gamers. Do they have identity crisis?

Offline suby4me

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 00:56:02 »

You mean the one on the right for the das 4 :)

and thanks alot for your reply!

whoops you're right lol.

I find it interesting that DAS used l33t speak when their target market for the professionals are non gamers. Do they have identity crisis?

Yeah, I was a bit puzzled when I saw that. I have no clue why they did that. Maybe they are saying programmers are l33t ? :))

Offline Heezy

• Formerly trynds
  • ★★★★★
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 08:33:52 »
I saw those on a local website from Australia, and they cost near a whopping 200$ aud shipped.

Are those costar stabs? They are still made from costar? Taiwan?

Looks great though, I'm sure a few of my friends would be satisfied with the new media implementation. Great review!

Rig - i3 6300, 240GB SSD, 500GB SSD, Gigabyte H170N Wifi, 16GB DDR4, Zotac 1060 Mini, 650w SuperFlower
Monitor - HKC144hz Mouse/Mousepad/Keyboard - Zowie EC1A - Zowie GS-R - Zowie Camade - Filco TKL MX Pink

Offline suby4me

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 28 April 2014, 09:44:44 »
I saw those on a local website from Australia, and they cost near a whopping 200$ aud shipped.

Are those costar stabs? They are still made from costar? Taiwan?

Looks great though, I'm sure a few of my friends would be satisfied with the new media implementation. Great review!

Yeah they are costar stabilizers. Not sure where it's from. I'll take a look when I'm back home.

Offline Dansor

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 08:56:21 »
Having received the ultimate version, I thought I'd add a few items of note.
I don't want to threadjack, but I really don't have enough to add to warrant a new thread IMO.

1 - Mine says Assembled in China.  However, I recall reading somewhere that only the ultimate is assembled in China; the others in Taiwan.  suby4me can say for certain  ;D
2 - All of the stabs are costar, except the space bar, which uses cherry stabs.  Interesting to see a mix.
3 - This may be nothing, but for some reason the numpad stabs use black wire with black plastic (nylon?) pieces.  They are otherwise identical, but maybe the material is slightly different, resulting in a different feel.  I can't see it though.
4 - The keycaps are, IMHO, thin and crummy.  My Ducky shipped with thick PBT.  Why can't Das get on board?   :cool:

So far, it seems to feel great, but I'll need to give it a few days to be certain.   :thumb: :thumb:

Offline suby4me

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 21:07:30 »
lol don't worry about it. the more info the better  :thumb:

also, i got the assembled in China also. interesting findings eh  ;D

Offline Xrayz0r

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 01 May 2014, 11:07:07 »
I don't want to threadjack, but I really don't have enough to add to warrant a new thread IMO.

1 - Mine says Assembled in China.  However, I recall reading somewhere that only the ultimate is assembled in China; the others in Taiwan.  suby4me can say for certain  ;D
2 - All of the stabs are costar, except the space bar, which uses cherry stabs.  Interesting to see a mix.
3 - This may be nothing, but for some reason the numpad stabs use black wire with black plastic (nylon?) pieces.  They are otherwise identical, but maybe the material is slightly different, resulting in a different feel.  I can't see it though.
4 - The keycaps are, IMHO, thin and crummy.  My Ducky shipped with thick PBT.  Why can't Das get on board?   :cool:

So far, it seems to feel great, but I'll need to give it a few days to be certain.   :thumb: :thumb:

The ultimate version is the one with blank keys. The one with letters is called professional. You're saying you have the ultimate version and it's made in China? I emailed Das Keyboard support and they told me the ultimate version would be made in Taiwan.

Offline gh_pp

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 13:09:11 »
LOVE the big volume knob, I wish TKL keyboard would adapt that!
QFR brown x2, Realforce 45G, Type-S, Keycool 22 blue

Previous keyboards: 55G, IBM Model M, Dell AT101W, Fujitsu FKB4725, G80-3000 clear, QFS green, QFS blue

[WTB] Custom keyboard build

Offline ccmpbll

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 20:59:01 »

The ultimate version is the one with blank keys. The one with letters is called professional. You're saying you have the ultimate version and it's made in China? I emailed Das Keyboard support and they told me the ultimate version would be made in Taiwan.

I just got an Ultimate today and can confirm that the sticker on the bottom says "Assembled in China"