Author Topic: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions  (Read 1263201 times)

Offline problemxyz

Re: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #5800 on: Thu, 11 November 2021, 13:57:24 »
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

In a thread on unpopular opinions?
Keychron Q1 Unsilenced Boba u4T silents 55g springs Mistel kecyaps | Keychron K6 Feker Panda MT3 Cyber | GK64 in pieces | Ducky One Full Size PCB broken

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #5801 on: Thu, 11 November 2021, 14:51:17 »
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

In a thread on unpopular opinions?

Where else? Surely not a thread on popular opinions.

Offline selsik

« Reply #5802 on: Sat, 13 November 2021, 07:01:41 »
1. I hate silent switches. They sound mushy and are not satisfying to type on - IMO if you want that kind of feel, just get a membrane keyboard

2. Not all switches need to be lubed and filmed. Especially tactiles
Topre >>> MX

Offline problemxyz

« Reply #5803 on: Sat, 13 November 2021, 08:03:23 »

Where else? Surely not a thread on popular opinions.

Haha that's a good one actually. Imagine a thread popular opinions only, you disagree and you're out.
Oh wait 80% of the internet ...
Keychron Q1 Unsilenced Boba u4T silents 55g springs Mistel kecyaps | Keychron K6 Feker Panda MT3 Cyber | GK64 in pieces | Ducky One Full Size PCB broken

Offline gr8ps

« Reply #5804 on: Sat, 13 November 2021, 23:59:57 »
Lubing switches is not a mystical art. Just throw the stems in a bag with some lube and shake it around. Put it back together and wipe off the rest of the lube from the exposed stem. Don't worry about consistency from switch to switch when hand lubing. It all evens out with wear over a few weeks. I cannot believe the amount of hours I wasted hand lubing switches. No one will be able to tell the difference between hand lubed and bag lubed after a month of use - I'd put my money on that.

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #5805 on: Sun, 14 November 2021, 00:53:59 »
Lubing switches is not a mystical art. Just throw the stems in a bag with some lube and shake it around. Put it back together and wipe off the rest of the lube from the exposed stem. Don't worry about consistency from switch to switch when hand lubing. It all evens out with wear over a few weeks. I cannot believe the amount of hours I wasted hand lubing switches. No one will be able to tell the difference between hand lubed and bag lubed after a month of use - I'd put my money on that.

Depends on your circumstances TBH. Like bag/tub lubing stems would never for me as like linear switches lubed with 205g0, using 63.5g to 45g regular or progressive springs. Bag/tub lubing stems in a situation like that would leave me with quite a few sluggish switches after being put into lubed housings. Honestly probably would even with the added benefit of unlubed housings. 205g0 is just to thick to have on even a little bit heavy at those low weights IME.

On the other hand, if you enjoy heavier weights or dual/triple stage springs & are not super particular about how you lube. I could see it working in a situation like that for sure. It wouldn't feel the most consistent for the first few weeks, but once the lube gets pushed around to all the contact areas & settles into a thinner layer sure it'll probably feel like any meticulously hand lubed switch that has had the same amount of usage.

One other thing, I completely agree with you on is that lubing is no mystical art, LOL! I am constantly surprised by the fact that there is so many who are either scared of trying it, tried once & swore it off, or are just to lazy to do for themselves. Like to the point people are making money lubing switches for people & selling lubed switches at a premium. Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't let anyone lube my switches, I know what I like & doubt someone else will have the same tastes. Pretty much 99% of switches I end up getting that were factory lubed or lubed by someone will get ultrasonic cleaned & lubed to my standards before I use them. Truly though, with all the techniques to use out there a person will find their preferred lubing method if they just put in the work to find it.
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 November 2021, 00:55:59 by Rob27shred »

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #5806 on: Sun, 14 November 2021, 23:49:44 »
Agree with the mystical art part, but I still think it is a kind of art in the fact that many beginners can somehow screw it up whether its screwing up a leaf or overlubing. Overlubed switches are nasty and can be a thing that happens with bag lubing sometimes. I get the springs, but I don't get the other parts since you'd usually want to use 205g0 which is a lil thick and hard to spread.

Offline Volny

« Reply #5807 on: Mon, 15 November 2021, 03:48:10 »

Speaking of unorthodox typing habits, sometimes when I see these youtubers do their "typing tests" I pull my hair out watching the strange places/angles they hold their hands.  Ms. Peterson would never have tolerated this poor form in 10th grade Keyboarding class!  Almost as bad as watching dad "hunt-and-peck", LOL.   :p

After the decline of the standalone typewriter, for some reason, an emphasis on teaching typing seems to have declined. It picked back up a little while I was in school (as the home computer and broadband internet spread through almost every home). It seems now that the average person doesn't even use a computer anymore that it is once again on the decline. People would rather stare and poke at a tiny screen, waiting for its anemic hardware to do the tasks a real computer should be doing and routinely mistyping/misclicking things with their relatively gigantic pointing implements.

In the school district in which I work, typing is no longer even a standalone class. They shoehorn it briefly into a section of another computer class.

I never learned to type properly, as the only 'typing lessons' I received at school were a few weeks in 1988 of typing on a.....laminated A4 printout of a keyboard layout. Needless to say, the experience was sufficiently uninspiring to be almost entirely useless, and I ended up developing an undisciplined and adhoc typing style on my own as I grew up.

It annoys me a little that my typing 'education' was so pathetic. Though while I would have preferred to have received better typing lessons, I don't particularly care much. If I felt that better typing technique was important enough, I could easily have retaught myself as an adult. But I never felt the need.

I suspect that it's a small minority of people whose work actually benefits from lightning-fast typing speeds, and I suspect that most of those people must have pretty uninteresting jobs, if the amount of thinking they have to do is so low that their brains can actually keep up with their nimble fingers.

I assume that most people's jobs nowadays are, like mine, too complicated for ultra-fast typing to be of much significance. I use my keyboard more for navigating between multiple programs and various interfaces than for typing long strings of uninterrupted text. When I'm doing creative work, the keyboard merely plays a support role for my mouse. When I type code, the bulk of my work consists of thinking and decision making, and fast typing skills are as useful there as a Ferrari on a mountain hike.

Offline bkrownd

« Reply #5808 on: Mon, 15 November 2021, 05:12:27 »

Learning typing isn't about being "ultra-fast", or even quite fast.  It's about using the tool (keyboard) efficiently and ergonomically, which in turn makes any task involving it more efficient.  Doesn't need to be long strings of text, though pretty much everyone regularly types a lot of text since we use language to communicate.  You can certainly e.g. hunt-and-peck through code, but it's much more efficient to be able to type all those curvy () curly {} blocky [] brackets and funky % ^ # symbols without stopping your flow of coding concentration to think/look which keys they're on.  For my own work I'm usually typing hundreds or thousands of commands a day to control the equipment I use, and can keep my eyes and mind on the information on the display while my fingers are running the keyboard by muscle memory. 

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5809 on: Mon, 15 November 2021, 08:11:29 »

It annoys me a little that my typing 'education' was so pathetic.

Strangling the intellectual essence out of education is a core objective of the Radical Right's power plan. If you were alive and aware before the late-1970s, you might recognize the changes. If not, you can't remember when (and more importantly - why) America "used to be" great and that leaves you ill-equipped to understand what it would be required to regain our stature in the world.

When I was in high school, I had a free elective and told my father that I wanted to take "Wood Shop" - he said "no" and insisted that I take"Typing" since I already had good basic carpentry skills. This was in the mid-late-1960s and included one semester on a manual typewriter and the second semester (assuming that you passed the first) on the glorious new IBM Selectric.

But, even worse, in my time a year-long course in "Civics" was required, usually around the 7th-8th grade, wherein you learned the basic tenants and mechanics of the operation of our society and government. That was targeted as one of the earliest casualties for the Hard Right "Culture Wars" - if you don't understand how the world works you can more easily be manipulated into an "alternative" world view.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline jamster

« Reply #5810 on: Mon, 15 November 2021, 10:05:06 »
I never learned to type properly, as the only 'typing lessons' I received at school were a few weeks in 1988 of typing on a.....laminated A4 printout of a keyboard layout. Needless to say, the experience was sufficiently uninspiring to be almost entirely useless, and I ended up developing an undisciplined and adhoc typing style on my own as I grew up.

I had to chuckle at that image :)

I (and my cohort) also never learned to type 'properly in school.' Some of us played with typing tutors on ancient home computers, the sorts that had green or amber monitors. I don't think I ever came across the concept of typing classes until I spoke to Americans of a similar age.

One of my best friends only learned to type properly in his mid to late 20s because he was so annoyed that he had to hunt and peck, whereas I could touch type, and would do so just to annoy him.

Typing is never about raw speed though, it's about being able to use the keyboard fluently enough that the act is not mentally distracting. I'm okay with normal text, but come to jarring halt when I have to throw in symbols. Or these days, even numbers are slightly distracting as I no longer have a numeric keypad.

Offline NoteMakoti

• for sale, baby shoes, never worn
« Reply #5811 on: Mon, 15 November 2021, 12:19:22 »
I probably said this before but the Ikki 68 reinforced the hot take: Customs that don't allow for unique layouts are kinda pointless. If you don't want stuff like split spacebars, or 40s, or whatever, just get a Razer Optical keyboard and rest easy.

Offline bkrownd

« Reply #5812 on: Mon, 15 November 2021, 15:52:16 »
This was in the mid-late-1960s and included one semester on a manual typewriter and the second semester (assuming that you passed the first) on the glorious new IBM Selectric.

We were still learning on the Selectric 20 years later.  ;)  I may have been in one of the last classes to use that fleet of battleships. 

Offline Altis

« Reply #5813 on: Mon, 15 November 2021, 15:57:04 »

Learning typing isn't about being "ultra-fast", or even quite fast.  It's about using the tool (keyboard) efficiently and ergonomically, which in turn makes any task involving it more efficient.  Doesn't need to be long strings of text, though pretty much everyone regularly types a lot of text since we use language to communicate.  You can certainly e.g. hunt-and-peck through code, but it's much more efficient to be able to type all those curvy () curly {} blocky [] brackets and funky % ^ # symbols without stopping your flow of coding concentration to think/look which keys they're on.  For my own work I'm usually typing hundreds or thousands of commands a day to control the equipment I use, and can keep my eyes and mind on the information on the display while my fingers are running the keyboard by muscle memory.

It's a good point. I'm generally a very quick typist when typing out plain language, but typing up crazy reports in LaTeX with all kinds of equations and tables really trains the finger muscles differently. It was a struggle at first, and I suspect it's the difference of training your hand-mind coordination to quickly select each character, compared with having whole words in muscle memory.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Volny

« Reply #5814 on: Tue, 16 November 2021, 04:14:07 »

It annoys me a little that my typing 'education' was so pathetic.

Strangling the intellectual essence out of education is a core objective of the Radical Right's power plan. If you were alive and aware before the late-1970s, you might recognize the changes. If not, you can't remember when (and more importantly - why) America "used to be" great and that leaves you ill-equipped to understand what it would be required to regain our stature in the world.

When I was in high school, I had a free elective and told my father that I wanted to take "Wood Shop" - he said "no" and insisted that I take"Typing" since I already had good basic carpentry skills. This was in the mid-late-1960s and included one semester on a manual typewriter and the second semester (assuming that you passed the first) on the glorious new IBM Selectric.

But, even worse, in my time a year-long course in "Civics" was required, usually around the 7th-8th grade, wherein you learned the basic tenants and mechanics of the operation of our society and government. That was targeted as one of the earliest casualties for the Hard Right "Culture Wars" - if you don't understand how the world works you can more easily be manipulated into an "alternative" world view.

I struggle to see how any of what you just wrote has anything at all to do with my post. And the idea that rote learning of typing patterns on a proper typewriter versus rote learning of typing patterns on a piece of laminated paper can translate to 'strangling intellectual essence" is just plain bonkers. The next time you need to give a stern talking to to the demons in your head, go for it, but don't take unwilling passengers along for the ride. Leave me out of it, thanks.

You're right, of course, but only to a point. Obviously it's better to be a fluent typist than not - it'll never hurt, and will usually help. But there's a finite limit to how far fluent typing and muscle memory can take you. At the risk of appearing arrogant, I'd suggest that unless you're using a much smarter keyboard layout than the standard one, then I'm probably more efficient than you are with all those funky characters, regardless of who is the faster typist. When those symbols were built into the standard layout they were mostly unimportant and were placed (appropriately) in obscure locations. But their placement is nonsensical for anyone who actually uses them a lot (ie. lots of people nowadays). ​I've replaced my entire function row with keys such as "$(){}, so I now have all those symbols right where they should be: next to each other, and next to the numbers, where I also have all 4 math operators -+/* as well as the decimal point. And a separate equals key, so that I no longer have to hit shift to do a plus sign. My fingers also run the keyboard with muscle memory, but faster and with less friction and needless back-and-forth than they ever could if I were using a standard layout. I'm actually somewhat obsessed when it comes to eliminating unnecessary workflow friction, so my workflow is full of  streamlined modifications like this, and my keyboards are so customised to suit my own needs that they barely resemble what anyone would call a normal layout.

Of course, being a fluent typist and using a smarter layout are not mutually exclusive, and it is better to have both than just one. But it may be that because I never learned to adhere or care about any 'proper' typing technique, that it was easier for me to see the glaring flaws (and/or more irritating to put up with them), so I became more likely to cut through the Gordian knot and find more efficient, unorthodox solutions. To me, it's incredible that most people simply accept a design as poor as having the minus, plus, multiply and divide signs spread haphazardly around the keyboard, with two of them requiring a shift, and one of them being nowhere near the numbers (and the numpad doesn't solve this, since it moves the hands even further away from ()[]$ etc.). If I was an ultra fast typist I'd probably notice the inefficiency less, and maybe I'd grow to accept it too. But faster inefficiency is still inefficiency.
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 November 2021, 05:07:36 by Volny »

Offline bkrownd

« Reply #5815 on: Tue, 16 November 2021, 06:45:08 »
At the risk of appearing arrogant, I'd suggest that unless you're using a much smarter keyboard layout than the standard one, then I'm probably more efficient than you are with all those funky characters, regardless of who is the faster typist. When those symbols were built into the standard layout they were mostly unimportant and were placed (appropriately) in obscure locations. But their placement is nonsensical for anyone who actually uses them a lot (ie. lots of people nowadays). ​I've replaced my entire function row with keys such as "$(){}, so I now have all those symbols right where they should be: next to each other, and next to the numbers, where I also have all 4 math operators -+/* as well as the decimal point.

If a personalized layout works for you, that's great.  For my fingers the f-row is way too long of a reach.  I don't see the standard locations of those symbols as obscure - they're easy to reach where they are, with the sole exception of the tilde key, and I don't mind using shift at all.  Personally I don't think the location of any character/symbol in the layout actually matters anyway, since all of them are already within easy reach and found by reflex.  But nobody says you can't use a different layout if you prefer.

But the efficiency I'm talking about is the ergonomics and process of typing, not about the exact layout of the keyboard.  Use whatever layout you like, on whatever keyboard format you prefer.  Good basic technique will allow you to efficiently use of any of them with practice. Though I'd suggest being fluent with the "standard" layout is still a necessity since 99.9% of the time that's the kind of keyboard you're going to encounter.     

« Last Edit: Tue, 16 November 2021, 06:46:47 by bkrownd »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5816 on: Tue, 16 November 2021, 09:02:44 »

I struggle to see how any of what you just wrote has anything at all to do with my post.

It was my impression that you were expressing frustration and displeasure with a post-1980 education.
I take it as my mission to ensure that people today truly recognize that the the degradation of public education in the US is no accident.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline bkrownd

« Reply #5817 on: Tue, 23 November 2021, 22:38:20 »

Yesterday I got a shipping notification.  For a keycap set that I forgot I had bought.  Unpopular Opinion: maybe this hobby is too addictive...

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #5818 on: Wed, 24 November 2021, 17:47:07 »
1. I hate silent switches. They sound mushy and are not satisfying to type on - IMO if you want that kind of feel, just get a membrane keyboard

2. Not all switches need to be lubed and filmed. Especially tactiles

How should silent switches otherwise sound lol clacky? Also that is the dumbest opinion ever just get a membrane keyboard. You definitly  didn't try a silent linear that is tuned well.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline NoteMakoti

• for sale, baby shoes, never worn
« Reply #5819 on: Wed, 24 November 2021, 17:52:10 »

Yesterday I got a shipping notification.  For a keycap set that I forgot I had bought.  Unpopular Opinion: maybe this hobby is too addictive...
The way influencers promote FOMO is irresponsible. There's always a better keyboard or keyset around the corner, you don't need to kill yourself to chase down this month's hot raffle or GB.

Offline dankthropod

• Formerly wariomale
« Reply #5820 on: Thu, 09 December 2021, 04:10:32 »

4. I cannot stand blank keycaps, I think they are a waste of money and just do not look that appealing/attractive to me. (I'm currently using Leopold stealth keys, side printed keycaps essentially and I can only just tolerate using these).

5. I think a lot of these esc key replacements, the gas masks, the helmets and all that kind of stuff are just repulsive and why someone would want to put that on their keyboard in the first place is beyond me.

4. Although I do understand your dislike for them, they are really useful if you want to stop looking at your keyboard and start touch typing better. I have never personally used them, since I learnt how to touch-type without them, but for someone having trouble resisting the temptation of looking I can recommend.

5. I have to agree that those are very repulsing to me, but some artisans like the 4 seasons ones and the jelly eiden ones from dorp are really beautiful, I'm considering putting them on my main board right now.
KEEBS: Niz atom TKL, KBD67 Lite V2 R3 with gateron black inks
AUDIO: beyers dt 880 pros with a k3 DAC. Really want to get my hands on some sennies hurr durr six hungos

Offline bkrownd

« Reply #5821 on: Fri, 10 December 2021, 17:54:28 »

Different people have different artistic preferences.  There's an artisan keycap for every style and kink out there.  ;)

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

« Reply #5822 on: Fri, 10 December 2021, 18:48:44 »
I just have a lot of artisans in a box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Faceman76

« Reply #5823 on: Fri, 10 December 2021, 19:04:25 »
I prefer blank keycaps, it looks clean and keeps co-workers off my keeb.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

TKC 1800, Crystal Box Navy, Sprit 100g

Offline santela

« Reply #5824 on: Mon, 13 December 2021, 00:19:26 »
Linears are all 99.9% the same thing, I don't know why people are so obsessed with getting a dozen different linear switches. Tactiles, on the other hand, are much more interesting.

Offline hussar_name

« Reply #5825 on: Mon, 13 December 2021, 07:11:53 »
Linears are all 99.9% the same thing, I don't know why people are so obsessed with getting a dozen different linear switches. Tactiles, on the other hand, are much more interesting.

This is really sad. There are a lot of differences. Just try some scratchy reds and the you tell me how much do you like them.

Offline bkrownd

« Reply #5826 on: Wed, 15 December 2021, 20:50:20 »

SA is the sexiest profile. 

Crisply but gently Clicky is the sexiest feel.

I want my workstation to look like a beefy 1960s military grade command center console.  BOOM

Offline lolkey

« Reply #5827 on: Thu, 16 December 2021, 02:33:25 »
Bluetooth is pure garbage and shouldn't be used for keyboards.

filco ninja mj2 tkl · mx brown · black case · blank black pbt
varmilo va87mr tkl · gateron red · black case · dye sub pbt ❤
vortex pok3r rgb · mx silent · white case · blank xda pbt

Offline jamster

« Reply #5828 on: Thu, 16 December 2021, 06:07:25 »
Bluetooth is pure garbage and shouldn't be used for keyboards.

I've thought this for ages, but more generally that Bluetooth is just garbage all round.

Offline VimLover

« Reply #5829 on: Thu, 16 December 2021, 09:33:47 »
The mechanical keyboard market has been flooded with gimmicks and shilling for switches that are not discernibly better than Cherrys or Gaterons, and the people who claim they do feel different are just experiencing a placebo effect because they want them to feel different.

The only switches that really are different enough to be worth the price are Topre and bucking springs.

Oh and artisan keycaps and over the top keycap sets are gaudy and childish. People who actually care about mechanical keyboards just want a good layout with a nice feeling switch (but one that isn't a gimmick).

Offline Faceman76

« Reply #5830 on: Thu, 16 December 2021, 16:44:09 »

The mechanical keyboard market has been flooded with gimmicks and shilling for switches that are not discernibly better than Cherrys or Gaterons, and the people who claim they do feel different are just experiencing a placebo effect because they want them to feel different.

The only switches that really are different enough to be worth the price are Topre and bucking springs.
You must not be familiar with Kailh's Box switches, especially their tactile and clickies.  The minimal amount of wobble is a nice bonus. 

Offline yui

« Reply #5831 on: Mon, 20 December 2021, 04:11:53 »

You must not be familiar with Kailh's Box switches, especially their tactile and clickies.  The minimal amount of wobble is a nice bonus. 

although i do not agree with his text editor choice :), i see where Vimlover is coming from there, true Kailh innovated a bit with the clickbar and gateron with their MX compatible optical switches, most MX compatible are either a black or brown that has been recolored and at most has a different weighted spring in it, and lower wobble is not really what i would call ground breaking innovation.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Leopard223

« Reply #5832 on: Mon, 20 December 2021, 23:38:10 »
Bigger tactility =/= better tactile switch. 

The modern coiled cabled are useless and unpractical.

Offline bkrownd

« Reply #5833 on: Tue, 21 December 2021, 01:14:34 »

I like the way you think   :cool:

Offline Leopard223

« Reply #5834 on: Tue, 21 December 2021, 05:24:16 »

although i do not agree with his text editor choice :), i see where Vimlover is coming from there, true Kailh innovated a bit with the clickbar and gateron with their MX compatible optical switches, most MX compatible are either a black or brown that has been recolored and at most has a different weighted spring in it, and lower wobble is not really what i would call ground breaking innovation.
Kailh is the real MVP of the mechanical keyboard community, I don’t think it’s fair to say they “innovated a bit”. 
While the crowd mentality seems to be stuck on revolving around countless recolors, dozens of HP style switch every month, hype and useless aesthetics, Kailh is actually trying to push this community forward, and they do whatever they can on the limited MX form factor.
Hot swap sockets [and v2] (!!), click bar, BOX design, round BOX design, their collabs with NK_ (Creams, BB, Muted Jades), and much more. 

Maybe if we’re not going to ditch the MX form factor, the next step is to go up in switch height?…

BTW, I agree that the MX switch family tree isn’t that different from each other when you look at the 100s of versions of the HP style switch, or countless versions of the linear switches, but you can’t honestly say you don’t feel a difference between a Cherry MX Brown and Boba U4T for example, or BOX Jade vs Cherry MX Blue.
Maybe in comparison to something entirely different such as buckling springs or topre the variations in the MX world seems minuscule, I wouldn’t know I haven’t used anything other than MX type switches, but you can definitely feel a difference when using different weights and tactile mechanisms.

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

« Reply #5835 on: Tue, 21 December 2021, 10:05:30 »

Thock= good mmm yum thockkkk

Offline OhKeycaps

• OhKeycaps
« Reply #5836 on: Tue, 21 December 2021, 10:59:39 »
Unpopular opinions:

1. Normal space bars are stupid and a gigantic waste of space and a waste of everyone's time and money trying to make sure they are stable and spending stupid time and money lubing etc.
2. Caps lock sucks is by far the worst placed key on a keyboard. Tab or Control makes much more sense there. I have caps lock disabled at all times via AHK because it's just a waste of space.

Edit: unironically I am running a GB for SA split spacebars

Offline OhKeycaps

• OhKeycaps
« Reply #5837 on: Tue, 21 December 2021, 11:01:51 »

Wait wait wait. Go UP in switch height? You want more wobble?

Offline iri

« Reply #5838 on: Tue, 21 December 2021, 11:14:02 »
How wobbly are beam springs?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline -Space-NATO-

• Love Cats and old keyboards.
« Reply #5839 on: Tue, 21 December 2021, 12:03:32 »
How wobbly are beam springs?

About this [ ] much.

IBM Model F XT        IBM Model M          IBM Model M122     Leopold FC980M

Offline Leopard223

« Reply #5840 on: Tue, 21 December 2021, 15:37:12 »
Not necessarily, it was just an idea I had, a taller switch could have more room for a better mechanism maybe? I just don't see how much more improvment you can make in the small MX switch.
Alps switches aren't much bigger than the MX but as Zeal is working for a very long time on putting a tactile leaf in the MX form factor I'd say that form factor is pretty limited.

I still don't know what is thock , I thought it was low pitched bottom out sound but seem like people slap the "thock" label on whatever sound they found to be pleasing.
Low pitched switch? thock.
Super hollow keyboard? thock.
Stem clacking on the bottom housing? thock.
I like this sound? it's thock.

Unpopular opinions:

1. Normal space bars are stupid and a gigantic waste of space and a waste of everyone's time and money trying to make sure they are stable and spending stupid time and money lubing etc.
2. Caps lock sucks is by far the worst placed key on a keyboard. Tab or Control makes much more sense there. I have caps lock disabled at all times via AHK because it's just a waste of space.

I think the Backslash button is as worst as the Caps Lock if not more, at least the Caps Lock have a usage for less tech savvy people, but the Backslash, correct me if I'm wrong has very little specific usage mainly in coding, we could have had a big ass enter keycap for everyone, instead we got ANSI and ISO... I diactivate the Backslash button on my keyboards.

Offline OhKeycaps

• OhKeycaps
« Reply #5841 on: Tue, 21 December 2021, 15:49:17 »
Not necessarily, it was just an idea I had, a taller switch could have more room for a better mechanism maybe? I just don't see how much more improvment you can make in the small MX switch.
Alps switches aren't much bigger than the MX but as Zeal is working for a very long time on putting a tactile leaf in the MX form factor I'd say that form factor is pretty limited.

I still don't know what is thock , I thought it was low pitched bottom out sound but seem like people slap the "thock" label on whatever sound they found to be pleasing.
Low pitched switch? thock.
Super hollow keyboard? thock.
Stem clacking on the bottom housing? thock.
I like this sound? it's thock.

Unpopular opinions:

I think the Backslash button is as worst as the Caps Lock if not more, at least the Caps Lock have a usage for less tech savvy people, but the Backslash, correct me if I'm wrong has very little specific usage mainly in coding, we could have had a big ass enter keycap for everyone, instead we got ANSI and ISO... I diactivate the Backslash button on my keyboards.

I code, so I actually do need it sometimes when I need to escape a character in regex or something, or when typing out a windows file path. I could see why most people would want a big enter there instead, however it's not as obnoxious as caps lock because it's not on the home row.

Offline bkrownd

« Reply #5842 on: Tue, 21 December 2021, 16:37:59 »

What's the purpose of making the enter key unnecesarily large when it is operated by the smallest finger on your hand? 

Since I'm part of the Command Line Master Race I use backslash and pipe quite often.  :D

Offline Faceman76

« Reply #5843 on: Tue, 21 December 2021, 16:43:05 »

What's the purpose of making the enter key unnecesarily large when it is operated by the smallest finger on your hand? 

Since I'm part of the Command Line Master Race I use backslash and pipe quite often.  :D
Same for Delete....

Need a type 40 kitting 1800 or similar to full size if that makes any sense. 

Offline OhKeycaps

• OhKeycaps
« Reply #5844 on: Tue, 21 December 2021, 17:48:34 »

Same for Delete....

Need a type 40 kitting 1800 or similar to full size if that makes any sense. 

Actually I use delete all the time, but I hate where it is on a standard keyboard. I have an ergodox and I moved it to the key directly under 'C' on my ergodox.

Offline kahlilnc

• KNC Keys LLC
« Reply #5845 on: Tue, 21 December 2021, 23:26:09 »
I just have a lot of artisans in a box

Where do you get the majority of your artisans from? I do not have enough... I haven't been as active on Mechmarket as of recent so I feel as if I missing all of the most recent raffles.

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

« Reply #5846 on: Tue, 21 December 2021, 23:28:42 »
I get most of mine from continually joining raffles the selling some to fund more raffles

Offline oofers

« Reply #5847 on: Sat, 25 December 2021, 07:12:05 »
I cannot understand why there are so many different linear switches coming out. They all feel the same! Smoothness stops mattering after a certain point and has already been perfected with contactless switches and weight can usually be changed very easily by the user. The only reason I can think of is the sound, but that doesn't mean there should be so many switches that feel pretty much the same.

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

« Reply #5848 on: Sat, 25 December 2021, 14:35:01 »
The hobby is thirsty for weeb colored switches and maximum thock

Offline OhKeycaps

• OhKeycaps
« Reply #5849 on: Sun, 26 December 2021, 22:28:07 »
I get most of mine from continually joining raffles the selling some to fund more raffles

With that said I want to make a new custom colored linear switch