Author Topic: SHKB: HHKB-controller with USB-C and 3-port 3.0 HUB  (Read 41543 times)

Offline Applet

SHKB: HHKB-controller with USB-C and 3-port 3.0 HUB
« on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 06:36:03 »
Hi,

I'm making a USB type-C controller with built in USB3 hub (5Gb/s) for the HHKB what is fully compatible with the current TMK/QMK-firmware and VIA-implementation. Project is still in development but current design is verified and working.

Some specs:
  • 3 available USB3 ports, two external, one internal. Hub: TUSB8042
  • ATMEGA32U4 for keyboard firmware (TMK/QMK)
  • 900mA per port current limit on each downstream port using TPS2552D
  • Will need modification of hhkb case because of the usb-c connector

Current status: Prototyping revision B3 with new component selection
Rev A: 5qt PCB's are currently being tested and used. Two HHKB JP, Three regular ANSI.
Rev B: Revision B3 is being tested. So far everything works well, but I've yet to test it with a proper high speed device on the USB-A ports.

Altium 3D view of latest revision:
278986-0

Project on Github: https://github.com/4pplet/SHKB
Designed in Altium 21
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 December 2021, 04:39:26 by Applet »

Offline AppleVsAndroid

Re: Hobby project: HHKB USB-C controller with USB 3.0 HUB
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 15:11:02 »
Sounds amazing! I would be interested in testing this out.

Offline rm-rf

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 15:16:15 »
this is excellent! i would be quite interested in getting one of these for myself.

Offline USER9127

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 15:23:53 »
If this comes through, and works, I would buy a HHKB for this. This would make pretty much the perfect keyboard out of the HHKB, especially for those of us who like having quick USB 3.0 ports available, or use their keyboard with a laptop with limited Usb ports (2 for me).

I wish more build it yourself MX case/PCB designs were designed with extra ports, and based around USB-C; For my use case, at least, it increases the versatility of the board.

Offline Applet

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 27 April 2019, 00:43:01 »
Necro-bumping. Finally got around to complete the design for a first prototype run. Got the cards, will start testing them in the coming weeks. We'll see how it turns out  :D

Offline growler

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 27 April 2019, 06:46:26 »
Sounds very interesting!

growler

Don't just stare at it ...

Offline Jkshowman

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 26 May 2019, 02:35:10 »
this is honestly so cool! would love an update :)

Offline Applet

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 26 May 2019, 13:47:14 »
I actually soldered the prototypes this weekend, but I have yet to power them, since I don't have a current limited supply at home. Moving forward, but please have patience :D.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 26 May 2019, 21:25:28 »
What's the USB A on the side for?

I like the project anyhow. USB C above everything :P

Offline Applet

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 27 May 2019, 02:13:54 »
Well, the idea is just to have an extra, internal usb-port for a usb-drive, mouse dongle or such. The hub chip I'm using is a 4 port hub, and the atmega for the keybord controller uses one port, so we have 3 left. Might as well make hardware support for it, if not used, we can just skip mounting the components for the extra port.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 27 May 2019, 02:42:43 »
Well, the idea is just to have an extra, internal usb-port for a usb-drive, mouse dongle or such. The hub chip I'm using is a 4 port hub, and the atmega for the keybord controller uses one port, so we have 3 left. Might as well make hardware support for it, if not used, we can just skip mounting the components for the extra port.

That would actually be pretty cool to have onboard storage in your keyboard.

Offline Applet

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 27 May 2019, 09:53:12 »

That would actually be pretty cool to have onboard storage in your keyboard.
I have been playing with the idea to try and fit a m.2 ssd in the case, since it's usb 3, you should get decent speeds ;D (not sure if there is enough space tho)

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 27 May 2019, 10:18:26 »
I actually soldered the prototypes this weekend, but I have yet to power them, since I don't have a current limited supply at home. Moving forward, but please have patience :D.

Very cool. Excited to hear more about this.

Offline Applet

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 06:33:43 »
I've powered the boards now, so far all is good. I have usb 3 functionality and it shows up in the OS like it should, but only tested briefly. Next step is to program the onboard EEPROM that configures the hub, so I can get usb 2.0 functionality (swap the data-lines). Then we can test the hub properly, and program the atmega for the HHKB controller. I'll keep you updated. I'll hopefully have time to continue this weekend.  :D

Offline wokees

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 07:06:22 »
Indeed, pretty cool project :)  I hope, there will be an option to buy that controller in future somehow ;)
Matias Tactile Pro PC | HHKB Pro 2 | Dell AT101W | AEK II | SPC Gear GK530 (Kailh Brown)

Offline facebook

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 23:42:25 »
Definitely interested in this!  Any idea how difficult it would be to make this work for the JP variant?  I know Hasu used a different controller for his version. 
HHKB Pro Japan

Offline Applet

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 01 June 2019, 11:40:08 »
Definitely interested in this!  Any idea how difficult it would be to make this work for the JP variant?  I know Hasu used a different controller for his version. 
If there is demand for it, I'll add a footprint for the JP connector, but I do not really see the appeal of using this with the JP since it has no hub. Do you just need the usb-c, and the internal port, or do you intend to modify the case for the external usb-ports?

Offline facebook

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 02 June 2019, 01:00:13 »
I want the USB-C and all the USB ports.  I have the proper housing for the ports from another HHKB. 
HHKB Pro Japan

Offline Applet

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 02 June 2019, 01:26:24 »
I want the USB-C and all the USB ports.  I have the proper housing for the ports from another HHKB.
I see, I'll definitely look into adding support for the JP then. :D

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 05 June 2019, 17:54:18 »
Would definitely be interested in this if you decide to GB eventually

Offline feralfoo

• Software developer and mech keyboard nut
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 06 June 2019, 22:54:05 »
This is awesome work! I've been using a HHKB Pro JP with TMK motherboard for years. If you make your board available with extra usb ports for JP I will definitely pick one up.
HHKB Pro JP + Hasu controller, Realforce RF87U55G, G60 Retro, QK65

Offline Applet

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 11 June 2019, 02:35:42 »
Quick update: I ran into some issues with my level converters for programming the EEPROM (could only find a non working one), I've ordered a new one and will continue when that arrives (and I get time). Thanks for patience and showing interest in the project ;D

Offline rm-rf

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 11 June 2019, 03:05:11 »
i would really like to have a few of these.

Offline Applet

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 17 June 2019, 04:16:52 »
I have not had time to work on the prototypes yet, but I have got the stuff for programming them. I have however added JP support to the design, and identified some tweaks in USB-port placement that will be revised to next revision. I'll keep you updated as the project moves along.

Offline facebook

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 17 June 2019, 16:20:48 »
Woohoo!!!  Great to hear, Applet.  Thanks for the update. 
HHKB Pro Japan

Offline Applet

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 28 June 2019, 09:31:30 »
Short update: I've made an EEPROM-flash that works as intended and is programmable using the flash-tool provided by TI (no external programmer needed). It switches USB2 dateline polarity and sets some configs for power limiters etc. Next step will be to verify that the current limiters works as intended. I will most likely do another limited prototype run to verify the changes I have made. Slowly moving forward  ;D

Offline Applet

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 05 July 2019, 03:46:25 »
I have tested the current limiters and as far as I can tell, they are correctly set in settings for hub in EEPROM and work as intended. I will look into making another prototype run and a small limited group buy after my summer vacation.

Cheers  ;D

Offline facebook

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 30 July 2019, 23:50:56 »
Let me know, I would like to buy one for my Pro 2 and JP.  Happy to help beta test prototypes. 
HHKB Pro Japan

Offline ihateregister

• I like cookies. Yum!
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 14 August 2019, 01:29:26 »
I have tested the current limiters and as far as I can tell, they are correctly set in settings for hub in EEPROM and work as intended. I will look into making another prototype run and a small limited group buy after my summer vacation.

Cheers  ;D
That sounds cool, does this work with the Realforce RGB by any chance? I was in the process of procuring USB-C breakout boards to install them on my three keyboards.

Offline Applet

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 14 August 2019, 04:56:30 »
Let me know, I would like to buy one for my Pro 2 and JP.  Happy to help beta test prototypes.
Good to know, I'll let you know when we get there. Testing of prototypes will be needed.  :thumb:

Cheers  ;D
That sounds cool, does this work with the Realforce RGB by any chance? I was in the process of procuring USB-C breakout boards to install them on my three keyboards.
No, this will not support the Realforce RGB, only HHKB.

Offline Applet

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 07:14:28 »
Small update:
Preparing for the next prototype round (files done), I will make a small amount of cards to verify changes and function. Added HHKB JP-support (involved moving of current limiter and components), moved the USB-ports a bit for better fit, improved the USB-C footprint and removed some debug-stuff on the board. I missed ordering stencils last time, making sure to include it this time  ;D

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
Re: HHKB USB-C controller with USB 3.0 HUB
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 31 August 2019, 03:49:40 »

Small update:
Preparing for the next prototype round (files done), I will make a small amount of cards to verify changes and function. Added HHKB JP-support (involved moving of current limiter and components), moved the USB-ports a bit for better fit, improved the USB-C footprint and removed some debug-stuff on the board. I missed ordering stencils last time, making sure to include it this time  ;D

Wow, really packing a punch in one PCB here.

Man, I wish there were a Bluetooth one for HHKB Pro 1.

Offline Longicollis

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 02 September 2019, 13:05:32 »
If all goes well, I'm buying one fershure.

Offline facebook

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 26 September 2019, 14:29:46 »
This is awesome applet, great work.  Thanks for the updates.  Stoked to see some prototypes! 
HHKB Pro Japan

Offline Applet

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 27 September 2019, 04:52:57 »
Thanks for the encouraging words ;D I actually got the PCB's for the new prototypes yesterday. Only need to find some time to order some components and do some soldering  :thumb:

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 11:41:17 »
Thanks for the encouraging words ;D I actually got the PCB's for the new prototypes yesterday. Only need to find some time to order some components and do some soldering  :thumb:
:eek: can't wait :cool:

Offline Applet

Re: SHKB: HHKB-controller with USB-C and 3-port 3.0 HUB
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 08 October 2019, 06:04:08 »
Quick update: Still not had time to populate a board for test, but hopefully soon. Boards look good. I updated main post a bit. Repo is added to main post if someone want to contribute, but please realize, this is still a untested design which probably still need some work before it's ready for everyone. Cheers ;D
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 October 2019, 06:10:28 by Applet »

Offline facebook

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 15 October 2019, 17:10:55 »
Dude this is so awesome to hear!  I'm very excited to see this thing come to reality. 
HHKB Pro Japan

Offline kinifi

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 20 October 2019, 20:46:25 »
This is so awesome! Next round you should show us steps of putting it all together

Offline Applet

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 05 November 2019, 07:43:37 »
Short update: Life got in the way a bit, but this week and the next, I will be able to put the new prototypes together.  :D

I have populated the QFN IC's using hot air reflow station, the rest I will do with the soldering iron. I'll keep you updated. Next step is to check my inventory of parts and order the ones I'm missing.

The top one is the only one I've cleaned up the solder on, so don't worry about it on the other 4, I'll clean them up
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 November 2019, 10:05:32 by Applet »

Offline Lbibass

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 05 November 2019, 10:09:19 »
Short update: Life got in the way a bit, but this week and the next, I will be able to put the new prototypes together.  :D

I have populated the QFN IC's using hot air reflow station, the rest I will do with the soldering iron. I'll keep you updated. Next step is to check my inventory of parts and order the ones I'm missing.

The top one is the only one I've cleaned up the solder on, so don't worry about it on the other 4, I'll clean them up

Wow. That looks incredible. Amazing work! It reminds me a little bit of YDKB's BLE HHKB replacement controller.

But I am a big fan of the USB hub on the inside. Great work!

Offline Applet

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 08 November 2019, 03:08:51 »

Wow. That looks incredible. Amazing work! It reminds me a little bit of YDKB's BLE HHKB replacement controller.

Thanks man, I appreciate it! :D

I have ordered the components I'm missing, should get them in the beginning of next week.

A little teaser of something that I will prototype when this is fully done (don't expect this soon):
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 November 2019, 03:13:21 by Applet »

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 08:06:17 »
Oh my, that's sweet

Offline benfrain

• benfrain.com
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 09:02:30 »
Look forward to these being available. The ingenuity of the folks on here never ceases to amaze me! 👍

Offline Lbibass

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 11:26:58 »

Thanks man, I appreciate it! :D

I have ordered the components I'm missing, should get them in the beginning of next week.

A little teaser of something that I will prototype when this is fully done (don't expect this soon):

You're wild. Holy **** dude.

I can't wait to see a Thunderbolt 3 HHKB controller… That'll be interesting.

Speaking of threes, I wonder where the HHKB refresh is. It was supposed to be happening this fall!

Offline crd

• Discord: crd#7617
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 22:56:24 »
Talked to them at the NorCal Booth and all they would say was “expect an update early 2020”

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 15 November 2019, 10:51:38 »
Talked to them at the NorCal Booth and all they would say was “expect an update early 2020”
That's pretty soon

Offline Applet

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 26 November 2019, 03:41:21 »
I finally got the remaining components I needed and put the boards together yesterday. 3 works perfectly, 2 I need to troubleshoot a bit (likely some issue with my soldering). Currently testing it out and using the controller in my daily driver at work. I'm driving my USB3 hub through the keyboard (keyboard connected to PC, Hub connected to HHKB), so far it works good and has 0 issues with my devices and 1440p screen. The USB-placement on USB-A ports is still not perfect, but works fine, I'll move them a bit them for next revision. A regular sized USB-drive seems to fit inside the case (tho my sandisk one does not fit, it's too long), so a regular dongle or such for mice etc should fit.

230772-0
230774-1
230781-2

Most likely, only the prototypes will be black, next revisions in green. Harder to troubleshoot black boards and 0402 and sot-3 is tiny enough without adding difficulties  ;D

I can't wait to see a Thunderbolt 3 HHKB controller… That'll be interesting.
Yeah, thunderbolt would be cool  ;D
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 November 2019, 06:35:44 by Applet »

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 26 November 2019, 09:47:07 »
Oh wow that's awesome!

Offline Xerpocalypse

• (◡ ‿ ◡ )
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 11 December 2019, 16:11:15 »
Really happy to see this project coming along! I'd consider buying another HHKB Pro 2 for home use specifically if these controllers are made available for purchase at some point.