Author Topic: [IC] Wood palm rest - Prototype on page 2 - Update on pg 4 - Teaser pg 5  (Read 26523 times)

Offline Cynez

[IC] Wood palm rest - Prototype on page 2 - Update on pg 4 - Teaser pg 5
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 20 June 2012, 08:42:51 »
I'm definitely sold on getting one of these from you.  Thinking either Birdseye or Cherry at the moment ;)
KBT Race w/ Reds | HHKB Pro 2 | KBC Poker w/ Reds | IBM Model M '93 | Noppoo Mini w/ Reds | Filco Majestouch 2 w/ Browns

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 20 June 2012, 12:53:54 »
Quote from: jdcarpe;617388
Looking really good! I still like that heartwood maple the best. I can't decide if I like finished or unfinished better. I was thinking maybe a hand-rubbed oil finish (linseed?). Feel free to experiment! You can probably even sell your prototypes, as well as whatever you decide on for a "production" run.

This is the very kind of thing we need more of around here. Creative people making useful and beautiful "objets d'art" for the community to enjoy.

Straight/pure oil finishes are nice, but offer very little protection to scruffs, scratches.... The satin finish shown above is a oil/varnish mix. The oil brings out the grain pattern and the varnish protects it. I like this varnish because it has the most pro and least cons to using it verse a lacquer or shellac finish (shellac/lacquer look nice but can be hard to apply without a paint sprayer similar to what's used to paint cars [lacquer] or won't full harden for months [shellac]). Varnish on the other hand protects from wear, moisture, and heat within days or even hours of final application.

If you want to try a pure oil finish, go ahead and post pictures when done. They are very easy to apply, a rag, sand paper or steel wool and time is all that is needed. Only an idiot could mess then up, it's as simple as "simply wipe on with a rag, allow some time to penetrate, then wipe off the excess". If you get linseed, get boiled linseed or it will take forever to dry. Also consider Tung oil since it's a bit more durable than linseed and requires less upkeep (keep in mind that pure oil finishes have to be reapplied every so often). The only downside to tung is it dries slower than boiled linseed and requires multiple coats with sanding between coats. However, if you don't have to oil it every year (like linseed might), it would be worth it.

Here is maple with linseed:
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 53452[/ATTACH]

Here is Alder with tung:
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 53453[/ATTACH]

I'll look up some more info when I get home, an impromptu lesson on wood finishing is hard to type on a single lunch break ;)

Quote from: Cynez;617729
I'm definitely sold on getting one of these from you.  Thinking either Birdseye or Cherry at the moment ;)

Great, what size do you need? I might be able to make one with the "scraps" I already have. However I only have cherry "scraps", I have no birdeye ATM
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline inlikeflynn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • file not found
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 20 June 2012, 13:11:32 »
These look great man!

How far out from your keyboard do they extend? The prototype looks almost 3/4th of a keyboard extra now on the front of things?
----------- __o
--------- _`\<,_
BRAAP(>)/ (*)
************^^^^^^

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 20 June 2012, 13:46:58 »
The dimensions of the rest are: 17.3" long (changes based on fullsized, TKL or Poker length), 3.5" wide, ~.6" tall without feet. With the feet, it's very very close to be flush with the top front lip of the bezel of a Costar/Filco/Rosewill keyboard

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Cindori

• My Blog
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 20 June 2012, 14:10:11 »
I'm interested if you can make it like prototype #3 drawing on first page.
Anything else (like MileStone) is just... moving the discomfort of an edge from the wrist to the forearm...

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 20 June 2012, 16:29:45 »
Quote from: Cindori;617932
I'm interested if you can make it like prototype #3 drawing on first page.
Anything else (like MileStone) is just... moving the discomfort of an edge from the wrist to the forearm...

Check out page 2, I built a prototype using the 3rd profile on the first page

Offline Cindori

• My Blog
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 20 June 2012, 17:35:10 »
Would you be able to make it for KBT Race? I think it's similar to Poker in height just a bit wider.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 20 June 2012, 18:16:51 »
Quote from: Cindori;618095
Would you be able to make it for KBT Race? I think it's similar to Poker in height just a bit wider.

Give me a length and I'll cut it to that size

Offline royalsego

« Reply #58 on: Wed, 20 June 2012, 19:53:00 »
i'll take 1? how much?
FILCOmj287REDmx █ LEOPOLD104v1.0REDmx █ FILCOmj2CAMO87BRNmx █ DUCKY87GRNalps

Offline REVENGE

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 20 June 2012, 21:53:17 »
Hey Beast, let us know when you're ready to take orders, we'll PM you.
◕ ‿ ◕

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 20 June 2012, 22:35:35 »
Quote from: royalsego;618240
i'll take 1? how much?

~$50 + shipping and paypay

Quote from: REVENGE;618328
Hey Beast, let us know when you're ready to take orders, we'll PM you.

I'll be making some Saturday or Sunday and a new thread should soon follow. Should I put it in the GB section or the classified?

Offline REVENGE

« Reply #61 on: Thu, 21 June 2012, 01:00:00 »
Quote from: The_Beast;618359
I'll be making some Saturday or Sunday and a new thread should soon follow. Should I put it in the GB section or the classified?
I think GB would be more appropriate since this is a new, custom tailored product being produced and sold in batches, while classifieds is mostly used or 2nd hand individual sales.
◕ ‿ ◕

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 22 June 2012, 00:57:50 »
Great, I'm writing up the thread right now in notepad so I can start selling as soon as I get some made

Offline REVENGE

« Reply #63 on: Fri, 22 June 2012, 02:20:56 »
Quote from: The_Beast;619263
Great, I'm writing up the thread right now in notepad so I can start selling as soon as I get some made
Looking forward to it!
◕ ‿ ◕

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #64 on: Sat, 23 June 2012, 23:33:24 »
The_Beast day:
8am: wake up, get ready, eat cereal
8:30am: get to shop, work on desk
11:00am: finish working on desk desk, work on rests
1:30pm: finish rest, start sanding with palm sander
4:00pm: Go home
4:40pm: Get home, leave to do some light shopping
6:45: Finally eat pizza, continue hand sanding
11:00pm: finish hand sanding, finally sit down

Anyways, hurrrs a teaser picture:
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 53801[/ATTACH]

I'll have to push back the for sale thread, I could tomorrow but I'd like this to go smoothly. Prices may be a tad higher, it took a bit more time and sanding than I originally thought (10 rest, ~6-7 hours of sanding), however I an MUCH more pleased with the end results, and I'm sure you guys will be too. F5 the GB section Monday or Tuesday ;)

Offline REVENGE

Now that we're back, I believe it's time for me to shutup and for you to take my money! :P
◕ ‿ ◕

Offline inlikeflynn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • file not found
Now that we're back, I believe it's time for me to shutup and for you to take my money! :P

wait until you see the work he has done since GH was down....you'll be throwing money at him then :)
----------- __o
--------- _`\<,_
BRAAP(>)/ (*)
************^^^^^^

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏

wait until you see the work he has done since GH was down....you'll be throwing money at him then :)

I'll try to have it up again tonight ;D

(that's what he said)

Offline Cynez

Re: [IC] Wood palm rest - Prototype on page 2 - Update on pg 4 - Teaser pg 5
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 11:49:17 »
You still doing these Beast?  Haven't had a chance to get back on GH since it went down.  I'll PM if I don't hear back from ya here.
KBT Race w/ Reds | HHKB Pro 2 | KBC Poker w/ Reds | IBM Model M '93 | Noppoo Mini w/ Reds | Filco Majestouch 2 w/ Browns

Offline Harlequin

« Reply #69 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 11:51:35 »
damn.. i just made like $5 wood palm rest by myself with crappy unknown timber lol.

DK Saver Winkeyless | Leopold FC700R | Ducky DK9087 Shine 2

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #70 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 12:08:36 »
You still doing these Beast?  Haven't had a chance to get back on GH since it went down.  I'll PM if I don't hear back from ya here.

I've got a decent stock and I'm doing some custom orders
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=33017.0

damn.. i just made like $5 wood palm rest by myself with crappy unknown timber lol.

Whatever works for you bro ;D

Offline Cynez

« Reply #71 on: Thu, 09 August 2012, 12:47:17 »

I've got a decent stock and I'm doing some custom orders
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=33017.0

I'll have to look at the classified when I'm not at work so I can see the pics.  Was looking for one in Purple heartword and/or tiger wood previously, for a TKL and/or HHKB.  But yea, will PM you later when not at work :P