Author Topic: [IC] Ergo Dox parts GB  (Read 30817 times)

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
[IC] Ergo Dox parts GB
« on: Sun, 09 September 2012, 23:23:45 »
Gathering interest for a mass order of components for the ErgoDox keyboard project.
This will be an order for those of us in the US.  :cool:

Here is a list of the parts we will be potentially ordering:
http://ergodox.org/Hardware.aspx

*This does not, for the present, include Switches (through Sherryton?)/ PCBs/ Plate/ Cases/ Keys (though we will probably do GB for these through WASD or potentially someone who can do PBT)

I'll update this with the pricing tiers ASAP, for now please register you interest in the Google form, below and feel free to add any comments, etc.

Interest List:
JesuswasaZombie
The_Beast
TheProfosist
DanGWanG
mushrew
sherryton
heuristicist
REVENGE
judascleric
wiredPanda
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 September 2012, 21:04:41 by JesuswasaZombie »

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: [IC] Ergo Dox parts GB for CONUS
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 09 September 2012, 23:31:09 »
I am interested

I have been interested in grabbing an ergo dox when it's complete. Does this US GB include Canada? If so I'm interested.
Specifically, no, but as long as there aren't too many orders, I'd happily forward them to north America.

I am sure having another person do EU Distribution will be much easier and cheaper for everyone than having me mail individually from the USA
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 September 2012, 23:42:50 by dorkvader »

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 09 September 2012, 23:33:30 »
I have been interested in grabbing an ergo dox when it's complete. Does this US GB include Canada? If so I'm interested.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 00:30:18 »
Interested in the ergo dox as well hard to follow everything sice its mainly talked about on deskthority though.

Offline dirge

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 00:39:20 »
Us only, ****ing wonderful.
Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 00:44:53 »
I'm sure someone will probably run one for Europe, I guess I'm just lazy and don't want to handle the logistics...

Offline dirge

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 02:10:31 »
Post removed, not having a Go just it annoys me when none Americans are excluded ;)
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 September 2012, 02:12:35 by dirge »
Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 02:17:12 »
well maybe I should include everyone.

I would need someone to voluteer to do distribution over there however.

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 02:47:04 »
I can handle the switches if you guys need.  I can also get springs, stickers, lube plates, and imsto cherry replica keys at a lower cost.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 03:01:38 »
That would be awesome. thanks, Sherry! So it looks we will be able to include switches in this buy.

Do you think it would be possible to order keys from Imsto that would fit Ergo Dox?

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 07:08:14 »
No plate or cases makes this meaningless to me :/

Is this considered the "official" gb by dox?

Cheers,
IBM Model M 1390120, Otaku Unicomp+RGB, CM QFR Green, Ducky YOTD Red, SSK MKII,
ErgoDox Blue, ErgoDox White

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 08:31:21 »

Cheers,
Agreed I kinda need the case, PCB, and plate. Those are the main parts of the keyboard.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 11:17:48 »
Not "official" but a sanction from Dox is more than welcome. Like I stated in the OP, this is for parts and not anything else. I'm just a fan trying to help push the project forward so I can sell all my other keyboards :cool:

And this is just a way for you to get cheap parts to build it with, not a GB for the whole kit. I could potentially do a whole kit but that is something that I would have to get figured out with Dox. As it stand right now this GB would be for just the parts that are required to put the thing together.

AFAIK there will be group buys for PCB (based of DV interest list), case and plate as well. The purpose here is just to get everything else you might need in one buy.

Cheers,
Agreed I kinda need the case, PCB, and plate. Those are the main parts of the keyboard.
So the PCB will be made in Europe and distributed AFAIK.

Maybe someone like Oneproduct could help us make cheap but good quality plates if that isn't already going to be included in the initial PCB order.

When it comes to cases, that I'm not sure about. DorkVader and I were talking about trying to source a manufacturer. I personally, would really like something akin to the Ti KMAC case (CNC).
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 September 2012, 11:27:58 by JesuswasaZombie »

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 11:24:22 »
Any clue when the GB for the main parts is going to pop up?

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 11:27:16 »
Any idea with the Ergo-Dox PCBs will be made? I'm just looking for a general time line so I have a better idea of what's happening since I'm 100% lost on this project because it started before I was  Geekhacker :D
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 11:30:19 »
I guess if we have the file for the PCB we could start a run over here with Dox's permission. So to me it's sounding like everyone mainly wants complete kits and the expensive hardware like plate/ case...

Tempted to turn this into more than just small parts and do a kit, I'll have to ask Dox about it though.
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 September 2012, 11:32:23 by JesuswasaZombie »

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 11:41:33 »
I could help with the plate. I recently got a quote for a TKL sized plate that was $25.00 per plate (the more you order the cheaper they get) and he would use .063” 5052-h32 alum with a tolerance of +/-.002"

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 11:44:16 »
I could help with the plate. I recently got a quote for a TKL sized plate that was $25.00 per plate (the more you order the cheaper they get) and he would use .063” 5052-h32 alum with a tolerance of +/-.002"
Just got a quote for my custom Phantom plate at right about $50 for 2 plates in stainless with a tolerance of +/- 0.005. I doubt that is the best price that can be gotten but it was good enough for me being that I only needed 2 plates and want something relatively quick and local.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 11:44:58 »

What kind of pricing drops does he offer based on quantity? I imagine two smaller plates might still be more expensive than one TKL right?

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 11:47:53 »
The ErgoDox plates are identical aren't they?  Just flip one over to get the other hand.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 11:50:27 »
They are but identical but you would still need 2 of them.

At 2 per order for even just 30 orders they could be fairly reasonable,  Beast can you get another quote maybe?
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 September 2012, 12:14:46 by JesuswasaZombie »

Offline JustCallMeCrash

• ErgoDox Lover
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 12:07:01 »
Do you have an estimate?  I figured about $35/full set of all electrical parts (minus switches and caps, of course) when I was pricing for 2 full boards.
ErgoDoxen 6 total: Cherry MX Browns, Cherry MX Clears, NovelKeys Box Royal, 80g Gateron Yellows, NovelKeys Pale Blues, NovelKeys Box Navy.
Preonic 2 total: OG Gateron Yellows (GMK silencer clips), TBD (unassembled v2).
XD-75 (mixed Gateron Yellows, MX Blacks, MX Clears on layer toggles).
Das S Professional (was MX Blues, now Ghetto Reds).
G80-11900.
ML-4400 (2x) Cherry MY boards.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 12:15:32 »
It really depends on how many people were interested but no one has touched the form so I'm figuring plates and cases are what people want mainly.

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 12:21:42 »
It really depends on how many people were interested but no one has touched the form so I'm figuring plates and cases are what people want mainly.

Zombie,

I'd strongly suggest you contact Dox and ic07 before proceeding with this GB. The reason I suggest this is he may not want things distributed over differnt GB's, as this will only raise costs for everyone (as opposed to 1 super large order). I know this may mean we have to wait, but IMO I'm for getting everything at the lowest cost possible with the largest number of orders. Maybe he doesn't care (the project is open source), but I'd like some input before I pony up.

Cheers,

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 12:21:45 »
Order form link is hard to find. Im interested in everything possibly twice over but i think that depends on what the total cost of one keyboard is going to be.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 12:24:51 »

Zombie,

I'd strongly suggest you contact Dox and ic07 before proceeding with this GB. The reason I suggest this is he may not want things distributed over differnt GB's, as this will only raise costs for everyone (as opposed to 1 super large order). I know this may mean we have to wait, but IMO I'm for getting everything at the lowest cost possible with the largest number of orders. Maybe he doesn't care (the project is open source), but I'd like some input before I pony up.

Cheers,

Already PMed him, I wasn't under the impression that they had any interest in running a large order for parts however. He posted the list so people could start getting parts ready, correct?

I realize some little things might change in the BOM but hence why this is an IC and not a GB, yet.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 12:43:21 »
They are but identical but you would still need 2 of them.

At 2 per order for even just 30 orders they could be fairly reasonable,  Beast can you get another quote maybe?

I need a DWG file of the plate at a 1:1 scale with everything you need. I can send it out to be quoted today and he should get back to me within ~2 hours.

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 16:42:05 »

Zombie,

Cheers,

Already PMed him, I wasn't under the impression that they had any interest in running a large order for parts however. He posted the list so people could start getting parts ready, correct?

I realize some little things might change in the BOM but hence why this is an IC and not a GB, yet.

I don't know what the motivations were. My understanding is the initial group buy would offer everything BUT assembly.

Cheers,

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 16:56:26 »
I think after the difficulties with the Phantom that anyone that ran it would suggest against a massively collective GB of all parts.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
[IC] Ergo Dox parts GB for CONUS
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 18:08:16 »
well when Dox gets back to me, I'll be sure to let you know OJ.

If it does end up being a free for all for parts I'll run this, if Dox has it planned already then that's fine. Either way let's get this show en the road.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 18:12:00 »
well when Dox gets back to me, I'll be sure to let you know OJ.

If it does end up being a free for all for parts I'll run this, if Dox has it planned already then that's fine. Either way let's get this show en the road.
im with you, groupbuys dont need to take forever.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 18:12:26 »

What kind of pricing drops does he offer based on quantity? I imagine two smaller plates might still be more expensive than one TKL right?

He didn't specifically say when the prices would drop, I can ask once you send me the plate DWG.

Offline Dox

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 21:04:25 »
I should have the layered plate case design finished by Sunday. Then, we should get some quotes and get this going.
Having all the options/components in one group buy is good if the people that want only the PCBs don't have to wait till the end to get them.
The group buy should also be worldwide with some "distributor" in Europe and Asia if there is enough demand.
ErgoDox x2 | DoxKB x2 |   IBM SSK   | HHKB pro2

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: [IC] Ergo Dox parts GB
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 22:12:48 »
sounds good to me glad to hear that the project is coming along

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 22:21:45 »
I should have the layered plate case design finished by Sunday. Then, we should get some quotes and get this going.
Having all the options/components in one group buy is good if the people that want only the PCBs don't have to wait till the end to get them.
The group buy should also be worldwide with some "distributor" in Europe and Asia if there is enough demand.
Excellent, thanks Dox!

Yes, I'm happy to forward parts to people out of the US, no problems! But having a real distributor for EU is a must. (Also UK or Canada, if there are enough orders).

Has there been any interest for this in Korea, or do they eschew ergo?

Offline dirge

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 01:06:18 »
Interest check for an Alps version of the dox! Matias new switches are here soon.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: Re: [IC] Ergo Dox parts GB
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 01:08:39 »
Interest check for an Alps version of the dox! Matias new switches are here soon.
make one and see if u get enough people interested an you should specify wether u mean the dox or the ergo dox. Though i assume u mean ergo dox since you posted in this thread.

Offline heuristicist

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 17:06:35 »
As usual it depends on cost. I'm in for one keyboard assuming total cost of parts (including everything except a case) is less than $200 (or $250 if we need to push it), and if it goes even cheaper I would be in for two.

I am, however, Canadian, so I would appreciate whoever wants to forward it on. If needed, I'm also happy to help distribute parts within Canada. If there's no way of getting Canadians in on it, I can also have stuff sent to family in the US although I'd obviously rather avoid this option.

...seems like I'm going to have to go practice my soldering! (And maybe use this as an excuse to finally buy a soldering iron.)

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 22:47:28 »
As usual it depends on cost. I'm in for one keyboard assuming total cost of parts (including everything except a case) is less than $200 (or $250 if we need to push it), and if it goes even cheaper I would be in for two.

I am, however, Canadian, so I would appreciate whoever wants to forward it on. If needed, I'm also happy to help distribute parts within Canada. If there's no way of getting Canadians in on it, I can also have stuff sent to family in the US although I'd obviously rather avoid this option.

...seems like I'm going to have to go practice my soldering! (And maybe use this as an excuse to finally buy a soldering iron.)
AFAIK your price range is doable. The case will be really expensive no matter how it's done AFAIK ( >$100).

Cheers,

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 13:03:33 »
Well if PCB and parts are <$70 the challenge to keep it under 200 is almost realistic but it all depends on getting cheap machine time for the plate and case.

Offline jil_jil32

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Tokyo Press <3
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 14:38:56 »
Stay tuned to this! :3

Offline sordna

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 13 September 2012, 21:13:10 »
Regarding switches, Kinesis sells brown and red switches (PCB mount, with built-in diodes) in 15-packs but they could probably do larger volume for cheaper.
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 September 2012, 21:23:53 by sordna »
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline dirge

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 01:21:39 »
7bit is very handy for switches.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 01:32:18 »
If you don't mind waiting a long time. Ask dimik, he got clears cheap and fast

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 01:35:40 »
I got all my current switches (minus the vintage blacks) from 7bit in the Phantom Grouplbuy and they did take a while....

Offline bisl

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 01:44:48 »
I'm extremely happy to stumble on this thread, and that Dox has weighed in. Like indescribably excited.
Also has there been a thread mirroring this one made on deskthority? Or at least some way to direct all those people here? Seems like a good way to increase volume.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 01:47:28 »
I believe DOX has been more active on deskthority last time i checked their build thread was pretty active so they may already have a thread like this or not need one... If you want you could make a post there directing people here though I dont know how well that would go over....

Offline bisl

« Reply #47 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 01:52:50 »
Yeah, to be honest I was a little iffy about the legitimacy of this thread until Dox replied and didn't shut it down. Just so, since I'm totally uninvolved with the process I'll leave it to someone who is to create the DT thread. :)

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #48 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 02:00:31 »
Yeah, to be honest I was a little iffy about the legitimacy of this thread until Dox replied and didn't shut it down. Just so, since I'm totally uninvolved with the process I'll leave it to someone who is to create the DT thread. :)

:/ okay dude with 50 posts... Legitmacy... right.

Offline bisl

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 02:33:29 »
:/ okay dude with 50 posts... Legitmacy... right.

Don't take it personally, man. It's Dox's project, not your project. I'm happy you're getting the ball rolling but the thread looked pretty unofficial until Dox weighed in.