geekhack Community > Reviews

Steelseries Apex M800 review (QS1 switches)

(1/3) > >>

chyros:
Today we look at the Steelseries Apex M800, a kind of semi-old RGB-focused battlecruiser keyboard from the mid-2010s. Hope you enjoy the video! :)

CaesarAZealad:
Bit of a thing chyros. People want MX compatibility for a plethora of reasons. The short list that comes to my mind is
- Interchangeability of parts
- Compatibility with multiple boards
- Keycap compatibility
Writing off having switches that are the same form factor as MX as to avoid  "confusing and enraging enthusiasts." is a bit disingenuous. I hate the r/mk crowd as much as the next guy, but we can't be building entire boards just for each new switch now can we?
Despite that it was a pretty entertaining review, though the running jokes are starting to get a bit long in the tooth. Maybe don't make an imperial units joke every time you make a review, there's only so many ways you can make it funny, you know?
Either way, can't wait to see what that 60% you were talking about is :)

chyros:

--- Quote from: CaesarAZealad on Sat, 13 August 2022, 17:30:48 ---Bit of a thing chyros. People want MX compatibility for a plethora of reasons. The short list that comes to my mind is
- Keycap compatibility
Writing off having switches that are the same form factor as MX as to avoid  "confusing and enraging enthusiasts." is a bit disingenuous.

--- End quote ---
Then why are switches being made that have no MX parts or board compatibility that still physically resemble MX switches?

looneyperson:

--- Quote from: chyros on Sun, 14 August 2022, 05:38:20 ---
--- Quote from: CaesarAZealad on Sat, 13 August 2022, 17:30:48 ---Bit of a thing chyros. People want MX compatibility for a plethora of reasons. The short list that comes to my mind is
- Keycap compatibility
Writing off having switches that are the same form factor as MX as to avoid  "confusing and enraging enthusiasts." is a bit disingenuous.

--- End quote ---
Then why are switches being made that have no MX parts or board compatibility that still physically resemble MX switches?

--- End quote ---
What switches would those be? The only ones I can think off of the top of my head are Matias/ALPS clones like APC switches, low profile switches, and topres, and some of the topre keyboards are using MX stems for better keycap compatibility. Maybe buckling springs but they don't really resemble MX switches in anyway.

CaesarAZealad:

--- Quote from: looneyperson on Sun, 14 August 2022, 10:22:32 ---
--- Quote from: chyros on Sun, 14 August 2022, 05:38:20 ---
- Keycap compatibility

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
What switches would those be? The only ones I can think off of the top of my head are Matias/ALPS clones like APC switches, low profile switches, and topres, and some of the topre keyboards are using MX stems for better keycap compatibility. Maybe buckling springs but they don't really resemble MX switches in anyway.

--- End quote ---
I think he's referring to stuff like bloody optical switches, analogue switches, and those snap spring clicky switches. Not trying to dismiss the argument, but those haven't really been the most successful or widespread switches, and I'm pretty sure the wooting has some people trying to make compatible PCBs so you can use the switches in other boards.
Not to say that something has to be successful for his point to be true, but at the same time if they're using the MX appearance to get easy sales from MX people then they've done a terrible job of it.
Don't get me wrong, I'd love some more out there stuff in this hobby. I love the Zeal Clickiez I'm typing on right now, and the vintage space is full of amazingly unique switches that are so fun to type on (A friend convinced me to buy a MMM board and it was surprisingly good.) but MX has established itself as the de facto "Standard" for most people, and if you want your switch to succeed then MX compatibility is a nice thing to have.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version