Author Topic: RT101+ Space Invaders Board (standard winkeyless layout) $40 shipped  (Read 15060 times)

Offline Rayndalf

https://www.ebay.com/itm/323641121267?
Not the greatest deal, but depending on the switch type it could be good fun. Space invaders are similar to box switches (clickbar(?) on clicky variants + more stable but less smooth than vint blacks... no idea how they take lubrication though).

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: RT101+ Space Invaders Board (standard winkeyless layout) $40 shipped
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 22 May 2020, 08:39:19 »
I think that would be black Space Invaders (the "+" is usually a give-away) and that is a good price.

Be very careful removing the caps when you clean it!
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 22 May 2020, 16:53:57 »
I picked it up for $35. Thanks for sharing. My collection needed some Hi-Tek 725s.

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 22 May 2020, 18:22:17 »
Glad someone else found a home for it. I aleady have a RT8255CW+ which seems to be a clicky RT101 with winkeys and a split spacebar.

I also have a linear space invader terminal board that is still waiting to be rewired. I haven't tried tactile space invaders, but all the space invaders I have tried have been a little scratchy but very stable and consistent especially given age and condition.

Offline funkmon

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 22 May 2020, 20:07:06 »
I picked it up for $35. Thanks for sharing. My collection needed some Hi-Tek 725s.

goddammit

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 22 May 2020, 20:47:08 »
If this turns out to be a rubberdome I'mma be really embarassed

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 23 May 2020, 14:41:34 »
Glad someone else found a home for it. I aleady have a RT8255CW+ which seems to be a clicky RT101 with winkeys and a split spacebar.

I also have a linear space invader terminal board that is still waiting to be rewired. I haven't tried tactile space invaders, but all the space invaders I have tried have been a little scratchy but very stable and consistent especially given age and condition.

You should post that RT8255CW+ in the "What keyboard are you using now?" thread. It sounds really cool.

I have felt the black clickies before, and those felt pretty smooth to me, even though it was pulled out of a gaylord at a recycling facility. That was only very briefly though.

goddammit

Sorry about that. The next time I see a 725 on Ebay, I'll let you know, if I remember to. Any kind you specifically want? Probably clicky?
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 May 2020, 14:21:01 by Maledicted »

Offline funkmon

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 23 May 2020, 17:28:35 »
The louder the better! Love them clickies! Space Invaders are profoundly underrepresented in my collection.

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 23 May 2020, 17:56:42 »
Here's the RT8255CW+
And a sound test between Aristotle in kailh halo housings, clicky space invaders and (old but almost unused) cherry blues. The space invaders are easily the least annoying (almost like a muted box switch, the switch doesn't collapse after the click)
243312-0243314-1* 20200523_175145.mp4 (29118 kB - downloaded 112 times.)

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 14:22:54 »
Here's the RT8255CW+
And a sound test between Aristotle in kailh halo housings, clicky space invaders and (old but almost unused) cherry blues. The space invaders are easily the least annoying (almost like a muted box switch, the switch doesn't collapse after the click)

Yeah, that sounds about right. Cool keyboard. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 05:34:59 »
I really hope I didn't accidentally cause someone to purchase a NMB slider over dome board by mistake :-[
Apparently they where made with the same case and keycaps as the space invader models
https://www.ebay.com/itm/174254770504

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 09:03:30 »
I really hope I didn't accidentally cause someone to purchase a NMB slider over dome board by mistake :-[
Apparently they where made with the same case and keycaps as the space invader models
https://www.ebay.com/itm/174254770504

I just assumed that it had space invaders switches, which is out of character, since fohat called black clickies just based on caps. I don't know that I have ever seen him be wrong about a keyboard. That one's FCC ID matches the other, but the part number is different, and a quick Google search leading to some random Japanese website suggests it should have Space Invaders. Not knowing for sure is half of the fun. It is like a keyboard mystery box.

Even if they're just NMB dome with slider, then I have decent old domes again. It is just $35 dollars. Don't worry about it.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 17:22:38 »

fohat called black clickies just based on caps. I don't know that I have ever seen him be wrong about a keyboard.

I am far from perfect, and the "MEMB" part of this makes me a little nervous. However, I have had several "AQ .... " models that were all black NMB Hi-Tek "Space Invaders" and I have heard many times that the "+" in the RT101+ is the defining mark for clicky.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 11:35:05 »

fohat called black clickies just based on caps. I don't know that I have ever seen him be wrong about a keyboard.

I am far from perfect, and the "MEMB" part of this makes me a little nervous. However, I have had several "AQ .... " models that were all black NMB Hi-Tek "Space Invaders" and I have heard many times that the "+" in the RT101+ is the defining mark for clicky.

The one he most recently linked has got domes, and that's an RT101+. The FCC ID matches the one I ordered, but the part numbers are different. I think it is already waiting for me at home, so we'll see. It may be a learning experience for us all.

Update:

FCC ID: AQ6MEMB-74004
Model: RT101+
P/N: CMA-650F2 REV. A

has ... NMB domes with sliders. Oh well. If they weren't so dirty, I imagine they wouldn't be too bad for domes. The ball's back in your court, funkmon. Stay on the lookout for some clicky space invaders for me.
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 May 2020, 17:38:34 by Maledicted »

Offline funkmon

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 31 May 2020, 18:46:58 »
Man I hope mine has the right switches. That being said, NMB dome with sliders aren't bad.
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 June 2020, 19:24:02 by funkmon »

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 01 June 2020, 11:33:38 »
Man I hope mine has the right switches. That being said, NMD dome with sliders aren't bad.

Good luck with the space invaders lottery. I have a Topre board now as well. I can't say I get the hype yet with just a weekend's worth of typing on it, but it is certainly the best dome board I have felt. I can tell that the NMBs have potential though, if they weren't so dirty.

Offline TheInverseKey

• You can run but you cannot hide!
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 01 June 2020, 12:28:51 »
Man I hope mine has the right switches. That being said, NMD dome with sliders aren't bad.

Good luck with the space invaders lottery. I have a Topre board now as well. I can't say I get the hype yet with just a weekend's worth of typing on it, but it is certainly the best dome board I have felt. I can tell that the NMBs have potential though, if they weren't so dirty.

Just to spread some light on the NMB keyboards as I have loads of them. The FCCID is the best identifier. In this case the MEMB means membrane therefore domes. You can look the FFCID up on DT to help you better identify what board you are looking at.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 01 June 2020, 12:48:16 »

Just to spread some light on the NMB keyboards as I have loads of them. The FCCID is the best identifier. In this case the MEMB means membrane therefore domes. You can look the FFCID up on DT to help you better identify what board you are looking at.

Is that one specifically on there? I thought I couldn't find the exact one. There are usually gaps. I did just snatch it without a thought though when fohat thought it was black clickies. lol