Author Topic: Any horror movie fans out there?  (Read 4284 times)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Any horror movie fans out there?
« on: Sun, 02 September 2007, 01:47:09 »
I love them. Old or new, it doesn't matter. I like original ideas as much as good old tried and true slasher antics.

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
    • http://andrew.wingedwheel.net
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 04 September 2007, 20:15:21 »
One thing I really like about a good horror movie:  Suspense!  but...most horror movies are only about how much blood they can show and how graphic that display can be.  It may be cinematography, but it's not really movie-making.  There are a lot of good movies out there that have really good suspense that aren't necessarily horror.

Panic Room
Mr. Brooks
Premonition
Dead Calm

...like that.  Suspense is a subtle genre that few can do without horror.
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 04 September 2007, 22:30:37 »
So you're not into the Saw movies then, huh? Are you opposed to gore?

I like Japanese horror, and if you like the suspense you may want to check them out. Here are some good ones, I watch them with subtitles but a lot of people can't stand that, so be warned.

Reincarnation
The Eye
Ju-Rei (not to be confused with Ju-On, which was remade in America as The Grudge)

As for American horror, I love a good zombie movie and some bad ones to, and I am not against the gore. Here is a list of some of my favs:

Event Horizon
The Abandoned
The Scream trilogy
(Guilty pleasure alert) The Saw movies and the Final Destination movies
The Shining (the original one)

And now the zombie flicks:

Day of the Dead
Both Night of the Deads
28 days later
Shawn of the Dead (NOT horror)

That's enough for now, let me know if you like any of those or if you think I'm nuts
 :lol:

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
    • http://andrew.wingedwheel.net
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 04 September 2007, 23:29:29 »
I can't say that I am opposed to gore, just gratiuitous gore.  If it fits in with the plot (300, Gladiator, Braveheart) then it's fine.

Of all the movies you list, I think I've seen the SHining.  Long time ago.  Classic King, put a normal guy in a wierd situation and let the supernatural, or appearance of the superatural, drive him over the edge.   Christine, Pet Semetary, alot of his great books did exactly that.
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 05 September 2007, 00:02:13 »
I understand about the excessive gore thing, I don't endorse it but I can see it's place. I cheer when people in Final Destination get splattered and I cringe when stuff happens in Saw, so there is different ways to do it and when the gore is placed as a substitute for plot then they should just scrap the project. Funny, that is the same way I feel about nudity in movies - in B movies, there is no place for it, but in Black Snake Moan, it was close to necessary in some places.

I just got a copy of Duel, by the way. ashort, this is one you'd probably enjoy, am I right?

Offline tincansoldier

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 11 October 2007, 08:02:03 »
how about hostel? its a kick arse horror flick!
experience the quality of your escape

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 11 October 2007, 09:56:40 »
I hated Hostel and Hostel 2 wasn't as bad as one, but still a waste of money, time and air.

Offline roaduck

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 13 October 2009, 19:11:21 »

I absolutely adore horror films but I abhore formulaic safe teens in peril, fake blood , **** CGI and dripping goo hollywood offerings with every monster noise sounding like a lion's roar even for a T-rex "sound effect".

I can read quickly and I'm a speed reader (two different techniques) so subtitled films are no bar to my enjoyment plus I know a bit of French.

Have a look at cinema from directors like Michael Haneke from Austria or Gaspar Noé from Argentina, Italians Dario Argento and Lucio Fulci, French women Virginie Despentes and Coralie Trinh Thi and the guys, Alexandre Aja, Kim Chapiron, Fabrice Du Welz, David Moreau and Xavier Palud, Xavier Gens, Alexandre Bustillo and Julien Maury,
Pascal Laugier as a start.

They are not run of the mill or predictable film makers and their films leave a lasting impression.The Eastern European directors will make wes craven and tobe hooper films look like cartoons in comparison - I'm talking extreme cinema and themes like suicide,  necromancy and incest are par for the course.These latter films are not for the squeamish.
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 October 2009, 20:25:05 by roaduck »
BS : IBM 1391406
Other keyboards - don\'t ask

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 13 October 2009, 19:45:45 »
i wouldnt call that horror

but he is a topre guy
for sure
being locked away for 15yrs makes you realize what is important
so he realized during his imprisonment that BS is just a relic that people get attached to
and that topre is the true way

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 13 October 2009, 19:52:49 »
I saw Paranormal Activity two weeks ago. Scared the ****balls out of me

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 18 October 2009, 07:38:17 »
Quote from: xsphat;57152

And now the zombie flicks:

Day of the Dead
Both Night of the Deads
28 days later
Shawn of the Dead (NOT horror)

That's enough for now, let me know if you like any of those or if you think I'm nuts
 :lol:

If you liked Shawn of the Dead you MUST add Plaga zombie: Zona mutante (2001) to your list.
It's retarded/wacko/LoFi/Low budget/off beat and totally hilarious.
It's actually a sequel. I didn't see the first one (1997)

I’d say it compares with Peter Jackson early years (Bad Taste)
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 18 October 2009, 07:42:31 »
I watched Trick ‘R Treat yesterday.
It’s new, and now on DVD.

Best Halloween movie in years.
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 18 October 2009, 09:43:22 »
for stupid/crappy (resulting in funny) type of zombie movie add "wild zero" to the list

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 18 October 2009, 21:30:12 »
Zombieland worth seeing...

Sorry Shawn Of The Dead, you're no longer the funniest Zombie flick.
Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline InSanCen

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 19 October 2009, 19:42:49 »
Quote from: xsphat;57152
So you're not into the Saw movies then, huh? Are you opposed to gore?

I like Japanese horror, and if you like the suspense you may want to check them out. Here are some good ones, I watch them with subtitles but a lot of people can't stand that, so be warned.

Reincarnation
The Eye
Ju-Rei (not to be confused with Ju-On, which was remade in America as The Grudge)

How about Dark Water? One of my personal favourites.

I have a fairly large set of the Tartan Asia Extreme editions. Another few I have imported (Hence my DVR being region free, and bought specifically for the ease I could play imports). The missus watched one (Ring-u, later remade into a watered down and sanitised version for the US called "The Ring"), and still thinks I am crazy.

I find it's one of the few genres that can truly scare the **** out of me. And other than Sci-Fi and the odd comedy, that's what I want out of a Movie.

The Saw movies? Ok.. a gore-fest, but nothing that truly get me out of my seat, or stabbing the pause button while I remind myself it's just a bloody movie. An awfully large percentage of Japanese Horrors will do that, they seem to get the "oh shiiii.... nah, it's ok... he'll live... WTF???" factor just right for the most part.
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 October 2009, 19:47:30 by InSanCen »
Currently Using :- IBM M13 1996, Black :
Currently Own :- 1391406 1989 & 1990 : AT Model F 1985 : Boscom 122 (Black) : G80-3000 : G80-1800 (x2) : Wang 724 : G81-8000LPBGB (Card Reader, MY) : Unitek : AT102W : TVS Gold :
Project\'s :- Wang 724 Pink-->White Clicky : USB Model M : IBM LPFK :
Pointing stuff :- Logitech MX-518 : I-One Lynx R-15 Trackball : M13 Nipple : Microsoft Basic Optical\'s
:

Offline MsKeyboard

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 19 October 2009, 20:12:46 »
I really like the Stephen King kind of horror, "The Stand" being the top of his game.  Movies from his books are kind of weak, but "The shining" and "Misery" were awesome.

I also liked:

Dead Calm
Rear Window (the original)
No country for old men
The Scream series (gotta love irony)
and
Jaws ( the first one)

almost forgot............Aliens

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 19 October 2009, 20:42:58 »
Horror films don't really impress me much, I watched too many as a kid and I became desensitised to them. Modern horrors either seem too tame or too over the top.

There was a short (15 minute) film I saw a few years ago about a dentist.

< Edit Spoilers deleted as I found it on youtube for you :-) >

That was quite effective. Made me think twice about visiting the dentist later, lol.

One film I enjoyed recently was Blindness. Not a horror, I know, but very watchable. I think it might have been even better if it didn't have quite so many famous actors. But the fact it was so good despite having so many big names in it is impressive.

Edit> Aha. The dentist movie was "On Edge". Enjoy.
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 October 2009, 20:57:38 by Rajagra »