Author Topic: Greetings from Australia!  (Read 791 times)

Offline Sammagoat

• Baaaaa.
Greetings from Australia!
« on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 03:44:41 »
Hey everyone!

I'm Sam, and I'm a 26yo professional procrastinator from Australia. Thanks to my nerd of a father, I've grown up with tech around all my life. I was lucky enough to have my first computer at the ripe old age of 7, running Windows 98! Man I miss those good ol' days, and man do I wish I'd kept my Compaq rollerball mouse...

I've since built a few of my own computers, most recently last year. As I've brushed up against the 'gaming' community I've come to learn about commercially-available mechanical keyboards, and lately I've been on a real kick with researching into customs. With the recent acquisition of a full-time desk job, I also see the potential benefits I could get to my productivity and enjoyment of my job by replacing the $20 ACER membrane keyboard I have in the office with something more suited to my needs.

So, here I am. Making my foray into what feels like the real heart of the custom keyboard community (r/mk feels - to me at least - like the very pretty/memey surface layer), in the hopes that I can foster my current curiosity into some actual knowledge or a real hobby, and hell, maybe even a side-hustle of some sort. Custom keyboards, to me, feel like a perfect mesh of my interests: mechanical and technical stuff, as well as pretty aesthetic plastic things that go click-clack and cost WAY too much money.

Aside from keebs, my hobbies and interests include a reasonable reduced amount of video gaming, Dungeons and Dragons and/or board games with friends (math rocks go click-clack too  ;D ), and Taekwon-do. I have a pet cat and a pet bird and a pet boyfriend. Yeah.

Looking forward to learning ALL the things and hopefully making some cool friends along the way.

P.S. Current keyboard is a Logitech G512 with MX Browns. Don't kill me. We all have to start somewhere.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Greetings from Australia!
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 04:54:31 »
Welcome to geekhack!

Your office life will certainly be enhanced by a nice keyboard, do you have space to ignore colleagues and make as much clacking noise as you like?  That's the first consideration, if in doubt take in your browns and see if anyone complains first.

We have a pet thread somewhere I can't find on my phone, if you have pics you should post them :) (ignore the old thread warning - pets are for life not a couple of months...)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod