Author Topic: Microsoft Trackball Explorer issue  (Read 11739 times)

Offline heretyk

Microsoft Trackball Explorer issue
« on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 14:33:08 »
Recently I bought Microsoft Trackball Explorer from a pawnshop for about $8 and was happy as f**ck until today when I received my package. At first glance it looks like it has never been used but it has some strange issue. I founded out there some high friction between ball and buttom surface that makes this device uncomfortable in use and inaccurate.

As I founded on the internet the problem may be caused by flat spot on three steel balls supporting main ball. Not sure that's the point but I founded that these balls got stuck - I can't rotate any of them so my question is - are these steel balls stationary or they should move freely?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
Re: Microsoft Trackball Explorer issue
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 16:38:57 »
I've seen ebay listings of ceramic bearings for these trackballs. Could be an option if you have the time. Nice score btw

Offline dante

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 17:12:55 »
Yes look on ebay; there is a guy who will restore them for you to near NOS condition.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 11:56:22 »
Awesome score!  You may be able to free and clean them out with some various cleaners.  Personally, I like Murphy's Oil soap cleaner (NOT the oil soap) as well as Pledge.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 01 February 2019, 13:25:05 »
Sorry to necro this thread, but I have a similar issue with mine, also bought second-hand. The rolling friction is very high.

In my case it looks like the bearings are actually crushed into the plastic a bit (as if someon dropped something heavy on top of the ball while it was installed), which could explain why they don't quite work right. I'll see if they can even be removed, and will update here if and when I am able to test out replacement bearings.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards