Author Topic: [GB] GMK Oblivion V3.1 - COMPLETED - V3.2 tentatively in September 2023  (Read 108748 times)

Offline clik_clak

Re: [GB] GMK Oblivion V3.1 - Launches early July 2021
« Reply #150 on: Tue, 08 June 2021, 18:26:39 »
Oblotzky,

Thanks for the extension kit. It kinda sucks that you add an extension kit and all of a sudden you have 10 people *****ing about you making more money. I know its hard to please everyone or anyone in this community, but I do appreciate you changing your stance and at least having the opportunity to buy them.

It's really not hard to please anyone...Just add the keys people are asking for to the kits people want them in without being a whiney c*** and everything is fine.

The way he went about adding the extra keys is the most excessive, stupid possible way for him to do it. Saying he hates the extra complexity of additional kits while not looking to make extra money is the most idiotic thing I've read in this tread. Closely followed by all the people standing up for him and his terrible decisions.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 June 2021, 18:33:38 by clik_clak »

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #151 on: Tue, 08 June 2021, 18:29:50 »
Here are the changes I would make:

+ add a second r2 1u mod for 13u so you dont have to use the git novelty. Delete would be the usual choice here
+ add a mod color quote key, quote is commonly used on the right side of planck and looks out of place when it's alpha color

- remove 2.25u shift, any 4 row boards that use this key should be supported by the base kit
- 1.75 bar should either be removed, doubled, or replaced with a second 2u bar for ortho. the only board that uses one of these is Vortex Core and this isn't popular among 40s GMK buyers

Excluding the 1.75 r2 key, here's what the 40s suggest:

- second r2 1u mod for 13u so you don't have to use the Git novelty
- mod color quote key
- remove 2.25u shift
- 1.75 bar should either be
  - removed
  - doubled
  - or replaced with a second 2u bar
(Only 1 semi-mainstream 40% board uses 1, 1.75u bar exclusively)

a simple list of additions and subtractions with clear reason for why that change should be applied, that's all I asked for this entire time. thank you.

- both of you have requested a second r2 1u mod key to be added but there already are two, Git (text not novelty) and Reset. the Git novelty is a third key
- mod quote key, ok
- 1.75u and 2u spacekeys doubled. my idea was to have one of each as a basis, and those opting for layouts with two of either (e.g. planck double space) could have gotten the spacebars kit to get a second one. but I guess it's not that big a deal to add, the fact you won't have to buy base + 40s extension for this set should still make it a comparatively attractive price
- 2.25u shift is for pearl (can't do the r2 2u backspace though as that mold does not exist)

Offline azzipa

« Reply #152 on: Tue, 08 June 2021, 19:56:13 »
quick question re: macro kit...

... would it make sense to replace duplicate "M1" key with R1 "M3"? this could replace three keys on right side of F-row (for fullsize or TKL)

i think this might have been overlooked. or not.  ;D

Offline Azernith

• board enjoyer
« Reply #153 on: Tue, 08 June 2021, 21:06:58 »
 ̶E̶X̶T̶E̶N̶S̶I̶O̶N̶  Novelties kit

Offline CodeMayhem

« Reply #154 on: Tue, 08 June 2021, 21:41:15 »
can we all stop fighting now  :'(

Offline CodeMayhem

« Reply #155 on: Tue, 08 June 2021, 21:46:55 »

... would it make sense to replace duplicate "M1" key with R1 "M3"? this could replace three keys on right side of F-row (for fullsize or TKL)

i don't think so, because if you get two base sets you can use each set of macros for a different board assuming one needed M1-M10 and the other M1-M5. kinda like adding an extra tab key in extra alpha kits.

Offline Vala

• :smork:
    • Vala Supply
« Reply #156 on: Tue, 08 June 2021, 23:17:53 »
Happy to see you're working on one of your own sets again! This will be the first Oblotzky original to run on oblotzky.industries, correct? GLWB & count me in! :D

Offline Lufenia

« Reply #157 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 02:31:08 »
Oblotzky,

Thanks for the extension kit. It kinda sucks that you add an extension kit and all of a sudden you have 10 people *****ing about you making more money. I know its hard to please everyone or anyone in this community, but I do appreciate you changing your stance and at least having the opportunity to buy them.

It's really not hard to please anyone...Just add the keys people are asking for to the kits people want them in without being a whiney c*** and everything is fine.

The way he went about adding the extra keys is the most excessive, stupid possible way for him to do it. Saying he hates the extra complexity of additional kits while not looking to make extra money is the most idiotic thing I've read in this tread. Closely followed by all the people standing up for him and his terrible decisions.

And calling someone a cun* will definately get them what they want, right? That's some next level 200IQ thinking right there.

I'm only in for the Salvun Caps and I do disagree with some of his decisions on the kitting. But holy moly you guys just keep on bit**ing nostop. 

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #158 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 04:00:11 »

i don't think so, because if you get two base sets you can use each set of macros for a different board assuming one needed M1-M10 and the other M1-M5. kinda like adding an extra tab key in extra alpha kits.

This is the correct answer, sorry for missing the initial post. The duplicate key allows for using the kit on up to two boards, for example if you got an Onyx and a Zenith.

PS: We launch July 2nd.

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #159 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 04:32:39 »
Thank you for the extension kit oblo :)
Obviously it would be more affordable if the mod colored pipe and tilde would be included in the base kit, but at least there's a choice now.

I'll considering buying a set now and support the cause! :)

Offline santela

Re: [GB] GMK Oblivion V3.1 - Launches July 2nd 2021
« Reply #160 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 05:50:44 »
I’m just glad I already own a set of Oblivions so I don’t have to be furious about spending extra $25 just to have the mod pipe/tilde.

It is interesting to see one of the most respected names in the hobby wants to die on this hill though.

Then again, business is business, whether people feel it’s predatory or not, everyone still got a choice to not buy the set. People might wanna trick themselves into thinking this hobby is decided by a community, but at the end of the day, the seller decides what he wants to sell. If you are truly furious, vote with your wallet I guess, that’s how market economy has always worked.

Offline Dhaz

« Reply #161 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 06:52:02 »
PS: We launch July 2nd.

Can’t wait!

Offline XiXora

« Reply #162 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 08:23:28 »
Oblo always pulling through. I graciously thank you for the extension kit!
I wish more sets had them for the more "esoteric" layouts.

I always pay the extra for the intl kits even if its only for 6 keys usually.
No one told me that custom keyboard hobby was cheap… happy to support!

Offline xmaviik

« Reply #163 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 09:16:25 »
Is it possible to add Portuguese support for the International Kit?

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #164 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 09:40:50 »
Is it possible to add Portuguese support for the International Kit?

The international kit will cost 72€ in GB, which is already a huge sum. I am not confident in adding Mediterranean layouts as well as that would drive the price to around 85€. We would gain single digit customers by adding the keys, but lose double digit numbers from the price. That's my expectation.

Offline autocast

« Reply #165 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 09:44:59 »

Mac kits sell very very poorly, so I chose not to offer one, as we are at 11 kits already.

A Mac kit is not desirable at all. While a Mac kit (Command, Option 1.5u modifiers) would fulfil the initial ask, it is unnecessarily specific and unwanted.

You will now find those keys here.

Thank you Oblotzky for including R4 1.5u Super and Code modifier keys in the Extension kit to cater to MacOS/HHKB!

Looking at this Extension kit a bit closer now. Code is blue here, but red in the Regular Base kit. It was like this in V2 Regular Base as well — intentional choice to keep the bottom row simple in all blue for extended layouts or nah?

Looking forward to Monochrome, Extension, and ASCII and Vim.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #166 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 11:44:02 »
Looking at this Extension kit a bit closer now. Code is blue here, but red in the Regular Base kit. It was like this in V2 Regular Base as well — intentional choice to keep the bottom row simple in all blue for extended layouts or nah? Looking forward to Monochrome, Extension, and ASCII and Vim.

Red keys in the bottom rows are similar to accents, to break up the all blue row if desired. So as blue is the primary color of the bottom row, any key added to that row is added in blue first, only then I would add a red version but that would make the kit too big.

Offline platypusduck

« Reply #167 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 13:12:14 »

Show Image

- 1.75u and 2u spacekeys doubled. my idea was to have one of each as a basis, and those opting for layouts with two of either (e.g. planck double space) could have gotten the spacebars kit to get a second one. but I guess it's not that big a deal to add, the fact you won't have to buy base + 40s extension for this set should still make it a comparatively attractive price

2x 1.75u bars? It's like Christmas. Thank you very much! Excited for the GB :thumb:

Offline yuutsu

• Consumer of Brioche Loaf
    • Desktop Designs
« Reply #168 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 17:17:24 »
no 1.75u backspace in 40's? Cringe, you just ruined any VAN layout support.

Offline SpinningHook

• "I can't know how to hear anymore about tables!."
« Reply #169 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 19:08:23 »
If feasible, I would like to politely request 2.25 and 2.75 space bars in base kit for Alice layout.
"Brevity is the soul of wit."

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #170 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 19:42:21 »
If feasible, I would like to politely request 2.25 and 2.75 space bars in base kit for Alice layout.

I would absolutely add those keys to a base kit that does not have a spacebars kit or extension kit, but with this kitting, I feel getting Alice support through a affordable child kit is okay. This stance may change in the future when the adoption rate of Alice layouts has increased.

Offline SpinningHook

• "I can't know how to hear anymore about tables!."
« Reply #171 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 19:46:57 »

I would absolutely add those keys to a base kit that does not have a spacebars kit or extension kit, but with this kitting, I feel getting Alice support through a affordable child kit is okay. This stance may change in the future when the adoption rate of Alice layouts has increased.

Understood. On my end, I would rather pay a little extra (roughly +$5) for a base kit that includes it, as opposed to paying roughly +$10 to $30 extra for an additional kit, when possible.
"Brevity is the soul of wit."

Offline Szei

« Reply #172 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 22:14:31 »
Thank you Oblotzky for adding the mod pipe/tilde to an extension. Of course, it would have been preferable to have it in the base, but it is what it is. Better than nothing.

This is intentional. Oblotzky has a vendetta with the original van keyboard maker and therefore refuses to support the layout. Perhaps justified before, but van keyboards is no longer owned by the person Oblotzky is boycotting so continuing to do this now just feels like a slap in the face of the community.

Offline _IanOfEarth

« Reply #173 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 23:03:40 »
Monochrome base is too good, bravo!!

Could you add two 1.5u OS keys and another 1u alt to the base kits for macOS users on HHKB and 7u layouts? Or even add them to another kit? Happy to pay for it if that's what makes it work.

Feedback where feedback is due! Thanks for adding the extensions kit, I will be buying Monochrome Base + Extensions!!

« Reply #174 on: Thu, 10 June 2021, 14:57:22 »
R5 is something I have in mind for V4, but no promises yet. Let's get V3.1 and V3.2 made first.

Just saw the rankings for kits sold on CRP from Syrup Labs and R5 was their 4th best selling kit out of 39 different kits. So R5 gang are here! I'll shutup about this now. Thanks for considering it.

Offline yuutsu

• Consumer of Brioche Loaf
    • Desktop Designs
« Reply #175 on: Thu, 10 June 2021, 17:09:39 »
Thank you Oblotzky for adding the mod pipe/tilde to an extension. Of course, it would have been preferable to have it in the base, but it is what it is. Better than nothing.

This is intentional. Oblotzky has a vendetta with the original van keyboard maker and therefore refuses to support the layout. Perhaps justified before, but van keyboards is no longer owned by the person Oblotzky is boycotting so continuing to do this now just feels like a slap in the face of the community.

I agree, not to mention I believe two more Van layout keyboards are in IC right now iirc, and the Mini-Van from TKC is lauching tomorrow, but then again it's TKC so it'll probably flop with a horribly color matched white or something.

Offline sagarsiddhpura

« Reply #176 on: Mon, 14 June 2021, 10:02:31 »
1) Pipe and Tilde keys in base kit
2) Makeshift support in base kit

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #177 on: Mon, 14 June 2021, 13:47:30 »

Could you elaborate what that is? Can't really find something specific on google, I only get DIY keyboard articles and stuff.

Offline Neely_12

« Reply #178 on: Mon, 14 June 2021, 14:20:45 »
Classic set. Im looking forward to this

Offline MicroPepega

« Reply #179 on: Mon, 14 June 2021, 17:09:15 »
Any chance you could include an alternate functions base like in R2? I'm sure I'm not the only one that likes a more uniform top row, but I don't know how that compares to the Hagoromo situation
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 June 2021, 18:47:32 by MicroPepega »

Offline acerb

« Reply #180 on: Tue, 15 June 2021, 06:55:13 »
Monochrome base is just perfect.

Indeed, too bad we can't buy those blue accents caps separately ^^

Offline score62

« Reply #181 on: Tue, 15 June 2021, 07:59:56 »
Many thanks for adding accent arrow keys to monochrome base. I'm in.

Offline yaya

« Reply #182 on: Tue, 15 June 2021, 08:34:03 »
Monochrome base is just perfect.

Indeed, too bad we can't buy those blue accents caps separately ^^

As someone with the monochrome modifier kit from round 1, this hits home.  But, I will live and add another set of alphas to my oblivion collection.

Offline acerb

« Reply #183 on: Tue, 15 June 2021, 10:42:16 »
Glad to see it's not only me!
I would honestly order more kits if the blue keys were sold separately and git icon ones too ;)

Offline sagarsiddhpura

« Reply #184 on: Tue, 15 June 2021, 11:00:17 »

Could you elaborate what that is? Can't really find something specific on google, I only get DIY keyboard articles and stuff.

Sorry for the typo. I meant makeshift alice support in base kit (with shift key)

Offline AshF

« Reply #185 on: Tue, 15 June 2021, 17:25:25 »
Great set and might dive in for this one

I am scratching my head though as cannot see UK ISO '@' Keycap on international

Sent from my ASUS_I003D using Tapatalk

Offline XiXora

« Reply #186 on: Tue, 15 June 2021, 20:33:22 »

R3, 3rd from the left.

Offline harlekein

« Reply #187 on: Wed, 16 June 2021, 03:04:25 »
Wait! What? 40s kit and Colemak DH? And actual git themed mods!?  :eek:

And here I thought I was never going to get a GMK set again.

I'm into this.

Don't want to stir up anything, but with the 40s kit, isn't 7 R4 1.25u keys a bit... excessive. Since these are ambiguous mod legends. (which I love)
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 June 2021, 03:42:19 by harlekein »

Offline AshF

« Reply #188 on: Wed, 16 June 2021, 03:21:46 »

R3, 3rd from the left.

Thank you, I should have been clearer to be honest especially with international kitting. The ISO UK @' key is missing.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #189 on: Wed, 16 June 2021, 04:50:02 »
Wait! What? 40s kit and Colemak DH? And actual git themed mods!?  :eek:

And here I thought I was never going to get a GMK set again.

I'm into this.

Don't want to stir up anything, but with the 40s kit, isn't 7 R4 1.25u keys a bit... excessive. Since these are ambiguous mod legends. (which I love)

It's 7 if you add them all together yes. 4 blue keys are for the bottom row of layouts such as Golbat, Sebright or Minorca, two with red accent color in case you want to use accents, and the yellow one is for the shift position. Legends are interchangeable because they are ambiguous as you said, but colors are not.

Offline busytimmy

« Reply #190 on: Wed, 16 June 2021, 18:26:46 »
ne F13 or extra B avail? ASCII coloured mods would be cherry on top  :p

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #191 on: Wed, 16 June 2021, 18:59:00 »

F13 is in the Base Kits, second B in the Spacebars kit which you need for any layout that has two B's

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #192 on: Wed, 16 June 2021, 19:58:51 »

The calls for alpha colored mods or (my fav) hagoromo mods have been heard by the big guy. You're not alone! Mod kits are always a bear price wise, but I'd buy the hell out of mod colored alphas and alpha color mods (Noivilbo? The first two letters are the likely response...)

Offline Raytios

« Reply #193 on: Wed, 16 June 2021, 23:45:29 »
Hello is South East Asia region included in zfrontier or for China only? Because I think there is a different site for China only in zFrontier. Thanks!

Offline haplopoda

« Reply #194 on: Thu, 17 June 2021, 02:00:47 »
Hello is South East Asia region included in zfrontier or for China only? Because I think there is a different site for China only in zFrontier. Thanks!
I'm from SE Asia and have joined a few GBs from zFrontier's English site (en.zfrontier.com) without a problem!

Sent from my GM1900 using Tapatalk

Offline XiXora

« Reply #195 on: Thu, 17 June 2021, 07:20:39 »
Thank you, I should have been clearer to be honest especially with international kitting. The ISO UK @' key is missing.

Maybe my head is going… It is definitely there (Note my location)

Hopefully, this clears it up for you.

Offline AshF

« Reply #196 on: Thu, 17 June 2021, 08:48:48 »

Maybe my head is going… It is definitely there (Note my location)

Hopefully, this clears it up for you.

Dammm eyes, let me down again!! Thank you so much for idiot proofing this for me - panic is over  ;)
ps. Thank you for taking the trouble and replying as well, you're a gent

Offline vladimir108

« Reply #197 on: Thu, 17 June 2021, 11:34:53 »
just idea (stupid) for v3.3: icon modifiers ;-) .... Git colors/monochrome

a'la GMK ASCII:

or GMK Space Cadet:

... and of course promised hiragana :-D

source: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=105408.0;all

Offline XiXora

« Reply #198 on: Thu, 17 June 2021, 20:51:44 »
Dammm eyes, let me down again!! Thank you so much for idiot proofing this for me - panic is over  ;)
ps. Thank you for taking the trouble and replying as well, you're a gent

Haha, no. I'd rather you do check and ask.

Wrong examples can seed others and then us ISO users are sad forever like using partial UK or just multiple pipe keys.

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #199 on: Thu, 17 June 2021, 23:45:42 »
just idea (stupid) for v3.3: icon modifiers ;-) .... Git colors/monochrome

a'la GMK ASCII:
Show Image

or GMK Space Cadet:
Show Image

... and of course promised hiragana :-D
Show Image

source: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=105408.0;all

yooo! is that hiragana gonna be a thing Oblotzky? I'll def hold out for that set if it is!