Author Topic: [IC] Viking keycaps  (Read 4051 times)

Offline KeebClack

[IC] Viking keycaps
« on: Tue, 09 May 2023, 12:00:15 »

Good morning, everyone! KeebClack is here to introduce a new keycap project to all of you.
Viking

Designed by ALAMI LAB
Manufacturer by WUkds

Intro

The inspiration for these keycaps comes from the legendary TV series about Vikings, which has always fascinated me with their fierce battles. The elements of shields, axes, helmets, longships, totems, and the sea all reflect the bravery and madness of the Vikings. I spent a lot of time refining the original design to capture these theme-defining elements. Based on the theme, unique sublegends have been designed.I hope you all like this creation, and I sincerely appreciate your support.

▼renders

Due to the manufacturing process of TDS, it is known that dark keycaps can stretch and become whitish during production. Therefore, I instructed the factory to adjust the prototype color to the closest deep blue shade as seen in the renders, without stretching. I believe that ALAMI LAB and WUkds have put their utmost efforts to deliver this design in the best possible condition to all players. Below are some real-life photos. Please adhere to the customs of the custom keyboard community when translating.

Specifications

Material: PBT material
Printing Technology: TDS (Thermal Dye Sublimation)
Profile: Cherry profile

Support

ANSI ISO Alice  61 64 68 71 75 80  87 980 104 108%

Q&A

When will the GB start?
We hope to start the GB in June 2023.

What will be the estimated pricing?
The estimated price is expected to be around $50

How long will it take to ship?
We aim to complete the shipment within 30 days after the group buy ends.

Gallery

Fill in Interest Check Form:
Join KeebClack’s Discord for latest update:
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 May 2023, 13:45:29 by KeebClack »

Offline TerraKeycaps

Re: [IC] Viking keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 10 May 2023, 06:00:18 »
I responded to the IC with some feedback and my contact for a collaboration. Please check it!! thank you.

Offline Cylent

• Formerly cylentshadows
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 10 May 2023, 07:06:06 »
Looks pretty good! My initial thoughts are that the alphas look misaligned (especially the sublegends, they look too far to the right) and that the arrow keys look massive compared to the small text mods.

Offline jiminojimi

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 10 May 2023, 08:33:27 »
I don’t know, just feel the “return” or “enter” … VIKING,

Doesn’t make it a Viking theme. Is there nothing else you can do to make it Viking without spelling out Viking ?

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 10 May 2023, 10:38:15 »
Have some thoughts on this

First writing vikings as a a novelty on a set with vikings is like me making a set about Japan and having a text novelty that says in all caps JAPANESE, it seems quite tacky and unsubtle and I would want to see a revision to that novelty.

Second I do have big problems with kitting, first there seems to be absolutely no split backspace key or Control where caps lock is, which is common on pretty much every keycap kit so I feel that is a must add, then I feel that there should be both plain and novelties for more tsangan layouts (so in this case add text options to the 7u bottom row and also have a plain spacebar like the 6.25 option) I think those options would be much appreciated. I also don't think there is a |\ key for iso support I feel that might be added (I'm not sure if that's 100% iso because I don't use it but I'm pretty sure |\ is used next to left shift for iso)

Maybe an option you could consider is maybe split the base-kit and the novelties into two separate options if you can

I also have some issues with the aesthetic of this as well, I feel that arrow keys and the number keys feel incredibly jarring compared to the rest of the set because of how big the are (The F-row has the size issue but not the alignment issue) and the fact that they are in the center and not to the top left like every other switch so adding consistency would be good there, I also feel that the modifiers look off as well because of them being smaller to the alphas, so a size correction would be nice there as well.

Another thing that has no bearing on the actual set itself is that I think you should separate the base kit and the novelties on the renders so it's much clearer to see the kitting.

I hope you can take some of the criticism here and apply it into the final product.

Offline vhaarr

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 11 May 2023, 13:30:45 »
As an actual viking I find this set offensive.

Because it looks horrendous.

1. How can you NOT offer NorDeUK for a viking-themed set?
2. How many fonts have been used in this design altogether? It looks like 6 to me. SIX fonts?
3. Who decided to aling things seemingly at random? For example F-keys vs Esc+cluster keys.
4. How many different font sizes are used here? 5? Not counting symbols of course.

I mean I could go on, but why beat a dead horse?

Of course this set will sell. Congratulations. Terrible.
Let the Holy Handgrenades rain.
Hammering on an old Happy Hacking Pro 2. Still going strong!

Offline Vaalbeast

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 11 May 2023, 20:25:36 »
The novelties are all over the place. I think really trimming those down and focusing on the seafaring theme and picking out a select helmet or weaponry could class up this set. See GMK Norse, which focuses more on the language/mythology than explicitly Vikings, but is a great example of less is more.

The "VIKINGS" text spelled out, please no.

Also, the number alphas seem...tiny?

Online keepoto

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 12 May 2023, 04:04:38 »

2. How many fonts have been used in this design altogether? It looks like 6 to me. SIX fonts?
3. Who decided to aling things seemingly at random? For example F-keys vs Esc+cluster keys.
4. How many different font sizes are used here? 5? Not counting symbols of course.

as an actual viking can you confirm if elaborate horned helmets are an authentic viking thing

Offline madrone

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 14 May 2023, 00:55:51 »
Way too many fonts.  Those arrow legends are much too large.  The waves running towards each other on the space bar is kind of weird.  Writing "Vikings" all over it is pretty heavy handed.

Seems like the idea could be good but it's poorly executed.  Needs to be toned down and seriously edited.

Offline KeebClack

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 14 May 2023, 05:47:32 »

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback on this keycap set. We will make sure to relay your comments to the designer.