Author Topic: Lack of ISO Tilde/Hash Keycap?  (Read 1725 times)

Offline coelacanth

• cheesed to meet you 💪😎
Lack of ISO Tilde/Hash Keycap?
« on: Sun, 05 November 2023, 17:59:51 »
Why are there a lot of keycap sets that provide an ISO option, either in the base kit or in a separate ISO kit, but without the ISO hash key? Instead you often end up having to use a 1u pipe in it's place. It seems like a massive oversight in a hobby that primarily focuses on full customisation.
Geonworks Frog F13 TKL | Gateron <3  —  1984 Volvo 240 DL 2l OG Redblock Owner 

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
Re: Lack of ISO Tilde/Hash Keycap?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 06 November 2023, 02:44:30 »
Because Hobby is ANSI centered and people don't give a **** about ISO nor understand what ISO support is.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 06 November 2023, 03:25:57 »
I believe most people accommodate for terminal iso, which might be different to something like uk iso, which has the key.

I feel that a lot of the more popular sets have the option, whether it's uk iso in the base/extensions kit or a nordeuk. You can definitely tell who is inexperienced in kitting if there is just terminal iso support or even any iso support at all (only excuse that's acceptable is if it's a set that definitely not sell well, like a niche dcs set)

Because Hobby is ANSI centered and people don't give a **** about ISO nor understand what ISO support is.

I feel that more experience designers do care about iso users, however a lot of the new designers don't care since they most likely use ansi, which isn't great.

There are some designers catering sets to iso users and europeans, like gmk blanc sur noir and NorDe (which is instock on oblos website which is neat) which is cool to see, love seeing these options available even if I don't use them personally.
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 06 November 2023, 06:40:42 »
The best sets usually have full ISO support. The good side of it, is it helps not spending too much on this hobby, by filtering out ANSI-only sets and keyboards ;)