Author Topic: PBT non-curvy spacebars (Leopold compatible)?  (Read 4276 times)

Offline absfac

PBT non-curvy spacebars (Leopold compatible)?
« on: Tue, 01 May 2012, 21:50:57 »
I have a bright white PBT keyset (from qtan) that's great in almost every way, except that the spacebar is curvy.  This is particularly a problem with Leopold-style stabilizers when I hit the spacebar near the edge:

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 49654[/ATTACH]

This doesn't happen with my ABS spacebars, which are straight enough that the stabilizer pegs get a solid grip.  As I understand it, bendy spacebars are just a hazard of PBT fabrication, so I didn't try to return this one.  Overall it's a minor annoyance because I usually hit the spacebar close to the center.  However, it's bothering me a little more than I thought it would.

So: has anyone found a supplier that can deliver really straight, Leopold-compatible PBT spacebars?  Preferably bright white or black?  wasd is rumored to have PBT caps in the pipeline but their FAQ says their spacebars are not Leopold-compatible; I'll certainly give them a shot if/when this changes.

p.s. Some of you might say that I should have gone Filco, whose stabilizers might perform better in this situation, but TKL Filcos with blue switches are currently way too expensive in the US.  I may yet buy a CM Storm if I can't figure out a better solution.

Offline limmy

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 01 May 2012, 23:40:11 »
You can use a hair dryer to straighten the space bar.

Quote from: limmy;534748
Large PBT keys not being straight seems to be pretty common. One of PBT shift keys ordered from Signature plastic had similar problem. However, this problem is easily fixable by using a hair dryer.

1. You put the spacebar on a flat surface.
2. Heat the spacebar with a hair dryer. Be careful not to over heat it. Heat it just enough so that you can straighten the spacebar by pressing down on both sides. The post where I saw this tip said 5 to 20 seconds will be enough although it depends on power of your hair dryer.
3. Now hold the spacebar down until it cools down.

I saw this tip here. http://www.kbdmania.net/xe/3511823

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 02 May 2012, 07:45:29 »
My Ducky PBT spacebar is very straight, you could cut the stems and mod one for Leopold.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens