Author Topic: What key caps for CM Storm QuickFire Rapid?  (Read 17932 times)

Offline 003

What key caps for CM Storm QuickFire Rapid?
« on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 01:37:03 »
Hey guys, so for my birthday my girlfriend is getting me a CM Storm QuickFire Rapid with Cherry MX green switches to replace the garbage keyboard I have now.  :D

I've used Cherry MX blue switches before, and liked them a lot, and the only qualm I had was that they were a tad too easy to press. Naturally, when I found out about the greens, I had to have a keyboard with them. I do a lot of typing, scripting and router programming, so a good keyboard is a necessity for me. Well, after doing some research, it seems that they key caps on the QFR are mediocre ABS types. Also, I find the font tacky and childish. Seeing as I am not paying for the keyboard, this obviously means I can spend the money on nice key caps instead.  ;D

I've never actually bought or even looked in to using different key caps, so I'm not to sure where I would even get them. Do key caps conform to certain standards, so that you will know that they all fit properly? If so, what kind do I need for the QFR?

And finally, what type should I be looking for? Reading these forums, "thick PBT" key caps seem quite popular, and from the pictures I've seen, they look very solid and sturdy. What do you guys recommend? Also, this isn't a requirement, but I have seen some keyboards that have the top of the keys blank, with the lettering on the side. Is something like that available? No big deal if not.

EDIT:
I live in the US and as such would like US layout keys.
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 April 2013, 01:39:32 by 003 »

Offline 003

Re: What key caps for CM Storm QuickFire Rapid?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 02:33:08 »
Will this set work on the QFR?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KBC-Blue-Gray-Combo-Dyesub-Thick-PBT-104-Keyset-Cherry-MX-Keycaps-/230952745348

The item description specifically mentions CM Storm brand keyboards, but it's quite expensive and I want to be 100% sure they will fit. I know there will be extras due to the QFR lacking a number pad, I am OK with that.

Offline Sai

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 02:52:49 »
yes. they will fit in with your QFR. :)
- WTB/WTT - Cotton Candy Brobot V2

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
What key caps for CM Storm QuickFire Rapid?
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 02:53:20 »
Will this set work on the QFR?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KBC-Blue-Gray-Combo-Dyesub-Thick-PBT-104-Keyset-Cherry-MX-Keycaps-/230952745348

The item description specifically mentions CM Storm brand keyboards, but it's quite expensive and I want to be 100% sure they will fit. I know there will be extras due to the QFR lacking a number pad, I am OK with that.

That set will definitely fit a QFR. Also, Feng has a vendor forum on here. If you message him here, it'll be a bit cheaper than his eBay store :)

Offline 003

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 03:45:52 »
Awesome, thanks for the tip! I've shot him a PM. Can't wait for the QFR + caps! :D