Author Topic: Black backlit Portal keycaps are great and all, but what about White?  (Read 8968 times)

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
Am I the only one who would want a set of white backlit Portal Keycaps (1x1.25)?

Just curious?

Also, who makes custom ABS backlit keycaps for Ducky's anyways...
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
Re: Black backlit Portal keycaps are great and all, but what about White?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 15:16:56 »
http://www.originativeco.com/collections/keycaps/products/portal-polycarbonate-modifiers

There is these. I think they would mesh nicely with white, being the character is white.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 15:26:36 »
White Portal keys?

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51489.0

Get 'em while they're hot!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 16:54:22 »
White keycaps with backlit legends would be ideal, but I could settle for either of the already mentioned keycaps... :thumb:

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 18:48:33 »
You mean translucent polycarbonate blue/orange first shot, wrapped in white/black? I like the idea

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 19:38:02 »
You mean translucent polycarbonate blue/orange first shot, wrapped in white/black? I like the idea

We might be seeing them soon, Looking at all the progress in polycarbonate keys

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 22:47:28 »

No, just regular ABS plastic white Ducky keycaps with translucent legends of the portal guy going into/outof a portal. But, in the meantime...

http://www.originativeco.com/collections/keycaps/products/portal-polycarbonate-modifiers

There is these. I think they would mesh nicely with white, being the character is white.

I like these... :thumb: with a white LED behind them... ;D

Offline Fullcream

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 01:08:19 »
By "Ducky keycap" do you mean you just want keycaps that will be compatible with a ducky? keep in mind I'm quite certain those portal modifiers from originative are Cherry profile so assuming you intend to put those on a ducky with the rest of its standard keycaps being OEM profile. The height won't match.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 09:44:19 »
By "Ducky keycap" do you mean you just want keycaps that will be compatible with a ducky? keep in mind I'm quite certain those portal modifiers from originative are Cherry profile so assuming you intend to put those on a ducky with the rest of its standard keycaps being OEM profile. The height won't match.

What I mean is that Ducky makes translucent keycap sets that allow the legends to shine through, and what I am wondering if there could be some like these:

http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=573

Only I would want them to be White...and preferable either 1x1 or 1x1.25... :D

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 09:46:28 »
The only way you would see those is if Ducky makes them on their own, or one of the other manufacturers that makes those style caps (like Max, apparently). Nothing done around here is in that style of cap.

Maybe try talking to Max or MK and see if they'll talk to them and propose the offer?

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 10:48:46 »
Maybe try talking to Max or MK and see if they'll talk to them and propose the offer?

We are MK, lol. Check my sig...We don't yet manufacture keycaps...:blank:

Though, this would be a reason to start our own line of Ducky caps...if we ever deal in plastic molding... :p

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 11:10:27 »
Ah, I didn't see that. But I never said you manufacture keycaps. I said perhaps you guys could talk to the person who you're getting the other caps from (and I said Max, because that's what the ones in the link you posted say).

I think your best bet in one of those regards to talk to Ducky or other manufacturers that get those caps and maybe they can direct you to who they get them from, or if they're the company that actually produces them, if they'd be willing to help you out on that regard.

Didn't you guys get them to make some spacebars for you for a the Snake?

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 12:37:14 »
Didn't you guys get them to make some spacebars for you for a the Snake?

True... :rolleyes:

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 15:33:01 »
Can anyone show pics of what a double shot keycap looks like with backlit LED? Trying to decide on Portal keycaps...

What I mean is what a double-shot polycarbonate key like this:

...would look like with an LED behind it. I am considering putting a white LED behind each one, but I would like to see what it looks like before I do.
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 November 2013, 15:58:17 by 00zeRO »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 17:24:55 »
Can anyone show pics of what a double shot keycap looks like with backlit LED? Trying to decide on Portal keycaps...

What I mean is what a double-shot polycarbonate key like this:

...would look like with an LED behind it. I am considering putting a white LED behind each one, but I would like to see what it looks like before I do.

Not as good as you might think, depending on the quality and consistency of the first shot.

From the Cherry Replica Legends Fundraising thread:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=42659.msg1064631#msg1064631

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=42659.msg1065469#msg1065469
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 13:42:51 »
Those have white as the first shot... other way around  :confused:

I still like the idea of blue/orange colored polycarb legend, and white or black base, especially if the light would pass through :p too bad I don't have a backlit kb although I would probably buy some anyway

edit; looks like its been done. from jcrouse's black friday sale http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51592.0

« Last Edit: Thu, 28 November 2013, 13:56:19 by Lu_e »

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 14:22:37 »

Not as good as you might think, depending on the quality and consistency of the first shot.

From the Cherry Replica Legends Fundraising thread:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=42659.msg1064631#msg1064631

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=42659.msg1065469#msg1065469

Thanks for that. I think I am going to bite the bullet...

Here's the set up...Shine II Blue LED (Red Cherry MX) w/white Shine II keycaps on Black case. I was thinking of buying the two Poly-carb Portal 'caps and then putting a White LED behind only those two. I think it would look really cool that way, regardless of the backlighting. It would only be two versus the entire 'board.

What do you think?

Offline t2russo

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 14:39:50 »
They would add a bit of pop to the board, and I don't think you would have a similar situation as the Cherry replica set since the main body of the key is translucent and would radiate light/color more evenly compared to the opaque white.  The only area where you might not be happy is if there is significant contrast between the top of the key where the first shot of white ABS forms a grid, and the sides of the key, where there is no material to diffuse the light, but I don't have a picture of these keys backlit to know how they play with LEDs.  The idea sounds neat to me, it would definitely add a nice highlight to a backlit board.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 29 November 2013, 15:18:17 »
I will be sure to post pics once I do the mod...

Stay tuned...