Author Topic: 2 Piece vs 1 Piece IBM Caps  (Read 6135 times)

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
2 Piece vs 1 Piece IBM Caps
« on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 21:41:36 »
How does the feel compare? 1 piece is 100% solid but 2 piece doesn't seem too wobly

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: 2 Piece vs 1 Piece IBM Caps
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 21:42:42 »
They feel the same to me. I can't tell a difference.

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 11:39:37 »
Same to me as well. The design of the 2 piece is very solid.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 11:51:46 »
The one piece caps feel vastly superior. Anyone who tells you different is wrong.

Offline Parak

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 12:05:25 »
The two piece caps feel vastly superior. Anyone who tells you different is wrong.

idontactuallyhaveanopiniononthismatter

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 12:05:33 »
I think that there is a difference, but it is very subtle.

Whatever additional tiny chatter there may be is washed away in the "catastrophic buckling" of the spring and the pivot plate rocking up and down.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 12:19:13 »
Honestly, the only advantage I've found to the one-piece caps is that I can rock colemak without the home row keys in weird places.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 12:34:58 »
I don't notice any difference in feel.

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 12:35:49 »
The only 2 piece caps on my board are the 1.5x modifiers; they have no additional play that I can feel.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 15:06:38 »
I have both and I have not notice a difference.  The one piece leave a tad more space between the keys, but the two-piece are easy to move around if I want to do an alternative layout.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 13:30:33 »
I never noticed a difference between them.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 17:11:24 »
I have not noticed any difference in the feel.

But one thing 1-piece keycaps have over 2-piece is that you cannot lose the top piece.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline sleepy916

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 17:33:57 »
I prefer the 1-piece because the ones that I have seem to have darker/bolder lettering. To me the dye sub was better back then. The feel is unnoticeable for me though.

Offline ShawnMeg

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 06:12:30 »
I can't tell a difference.  I do like the 2 pieces in that changing the keycaps is fast and easy.

IBM Model F122 X 2 internal Soarer's || IBM Model M122 internal Soarer's || AEK II SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||  AEK M0115 SKCM Orange ALPS click mod external adb_usb converter || AEK M0115 SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 08:43:19 »
I like one piece better.    Caps don't come flying off with my blazing fast 55wpm speed!! 

AT-F one piece > Model M SSK one piece >  Model M two piece.    Two piece caps much more common. 

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 19:05:18 »
I have never had the top half of a 2 piece keycap come off accidentally :eek:
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 22:01:26 »
kids know the difference. because they like pulling off and rearranging the caps, and obviously two piece are far easier to remove
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline nameistaken1

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 22:06:56 »
kids know the difference. because they like pulling off and rearranging the caps, and obviously two piece are far easier to remove
But this makes cleaning SO much easier. Assuming one is the obsessive type that clean their keycaps constantly. I don't.

I can't tell a difference when typing. The two piece keys don't move around, if that's what you're thinking. The fit tightly, with clips on the bottom.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 02 August 2014, 22:58:32 »
But this makes cleaning SO much easier. Assuming one is the obsessive type that clean their keycaps constantly. I don't.

I can't tell a difference when typing. The two piece keys don't move around, if that's what you're thinking. The fit tightly, with clips on the bottom.

when typing they do make a difference, if the kids have gotten their hands on the keycaps. that's how I end up without a single buckling spring keyboard that has a full set of keycaps of the same color. the kids pull everything off and rearrange to their liking and they transplant between keyboards with keycaps of a different color scheme

this is something that can't be done with adult fingers (too big to fit in the spaces between keys, so it's hard for an adult to remove a 2-piece top cap).
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline orihalcon

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 19:19:25 »
Might be a little difference when it comes to the 1.5 sized keys like the "\|" key, but for the regular ones, I can't tell the difference.