Author Topic: "Doubling" O-Rings  (Read 8114 times)

Offline Bludude4

"Doubling" O-Rings
« on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 13:12:20 »
O-rings are a mod that you can put on the stems of your keycaps to make bottoming out less "concrete" feeling.  They also reduce the travel by a small amount, but I was wondering if you could put two, maybe even three sets of o-rings per stem to make it so that right after you actuate the switch, it hits the o-ring.  That, and it may be not-quite-so noticeably softer to bottom out on, but for harder typists, the ones that really hammer their keyboard, me being one, maybe it would be less fatiguing on the fingers and wrists to hit the dual or triple o-ring set immediately after you actuate the switch.  Apologies in advance if a thread on this has already been created.
All hail Hall Effect keyboards!
I'm a QFR Blues noob.
WASD keycaps are terrible.

Offline cribbit

Re: "Doubling" O-Rings
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 13:52:19 »
Try it and see how you like it. You may have to do some fancy stuff so they don't stick though. I had to un-ring my arrow keys cause they would stick from pressing them hard continuously.
I typed this post on my Slanck. I also developed a stronger, cleaner, easier handwiring method.

Offline dantan

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 11:04:33 »
it sounds funny. Like making a child's toy. You know, those that have rings around a stick.

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 18:11:34 »
I do double orings, try to shorter the bottom out distance when playing competitive fps online games.
You could try put different size, thickness, until the key cannot register.
Yes, It feels mushy, less noise, less impact on fingers.
But you have to get used to the short distance.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 19:27:11 »
On Cherry switches, I like thin small rings to cushion just the bottom-out.

Depending on the caps and the profile, you can stack multiple rings on longer stems.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline jond_keyhack

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 08:38:45 »
I double o-ring cherry blacks and it is very nice indeed. It might be nice with browns but I wouldn't know