Author Topic: nub artisan keycaps  (Read 2008 times)

Offline a Horde of Penguins

nub artisan keycaps
« on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 20:33:08 »
what heat should my plastic be able to withstand without getting melty? idk if 80 degrees Celsius is good enough, might have to look at other materials

Offline BlueNalgene

Re: nub artisan keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 20:40:29 »
The theoretical maximum will to heat without complete melting will be the glass transition temperature.  This will be unique for the polymer you are using, and can vary with additives, molecular weight distribution, copolymers, etc.  I suggest looking up the Tg of your specific polymer and staying below that to avoid deformation.  If you go above Tm you are completely screwed, so don't do that.  If you bought virgin polymer from a reliable source, there will probably be Tg and Tm listed on the packaging or with the properties sheet.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 21:27:02 »
why is it gonna be at 80C?
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline HipsterPunks

• Gangmember
  • * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 21:35:00 »
came for dolly's... disappointed
sell out and eat ass

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 22:39:09 »
Me too :(

Offline a Horde of Penguins

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 00:53:41 »
came for dolly's... disappointed

idk lol i doubt it ever would, but i was thinking how hot do peoples rigs get, and what if a random keycap was on the rig without proper cooling and melted. kinda an absurd scenario i guess

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 03:05:49 »
I'm so entirely confused.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Krytone

• * Maker
  • ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
    • Krap Shop
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 03:25:01 »
i think you need to update your thread title. Also got confused on the relevance of your title to your question. You might get better answers with a descriptive title  :thumb:
TGR Jane CE | TX-CP | ZZ96 | HHKB | Ducky Shine 3 | Atreus | Infinity Ergodox | IBM Model M | Smart Pad | Taobao Acrylic 96 | TGR910 SE | RGB96 | M4-A | Moon

Pending: Exent | EM7 | M-60 | Kira EXS | 910 Poly | Kn210 | Alice