Author Topic: [IC] MLDS Low Profile Keycaps for Kailh Choc Switches  (Read 5114 times)

Offline ice9js

[IC] MLDS Low Profile Keycaps for Kailh Choc Switches
« on: Sun, 27 February 2022, 07:18:28 »
Howdy!

Let me present to you:

The MLDS keycap

283131-0

I created the profile to make full-size low-profile custom keyboards possible. That said, the actual sets that would go on sale in case of a group-buy haven't been finalized yet and this IC will help me make those decisions.

Please take a moment to fill the IC form: LINK

Features:

- The keycaps fit Kailh Choc v1 (PG1350) switches only.
- Backlight support.
- The keycaps are designed with traditional mx-spacing in mind (19x19mm center to center). They will not fit on choc-spaced boards where the spacing is narrower, usually 18mm horizontally and 17mm vertically.
- They would be made from injection molded ABS, painted, with the legends laser etched.
- All keycap sizes except for the space bar feature a spherical sculpt.
- The profile also includes a convex profile for 1u, 1.25u and spacebar keycaps to be used across the bottom row or in thumb clusters.
- The profile includes an ISO enter key.
- The spacebar features two sets of stabilizer mounts so it can be used with stock Choc stabilizers, or dedicated 100mm wire.
- Large dish are allows for larger, evenly backlit legends, without the switch stem interfering.
- Manufactured in the EU.

Pricing:

Around €30 for a full-sized set (~100 keys), including VAT.
If there is enough interest, it could potentially be noticeably cheaper still.

Expected order fulfillment time would be around 3 to 4 months after the group-buy ends.

Rationale:

My main goal with this project is to provide the most complete solution for Choc low profile switches, where full aftermarket sets including all standard modifiers are unfortunately still lacking.
I understand that the chosen material and manufacturing method make it less of a collectors' item but my greatest hope is getting a complete set out there will help kick start a whole bunch of projects that weren't previously quite possible due to the lacking keycaps and great things will follow.
Another benefit of laser etching is it allows for potentially much lower quantities of any given legend to be produced, making it economically feasible to add things like ISO support.
I went with mx-spacing for mainly cosmetic reasons as I noticed in my own project the rectangular shape really starts to skew the proportions of the entire keyboard the larger it gets. I'm also hopeful this would make it slightly more straight forward to adapt existing PCB designs for Choc switches as the spacing wouldn't change.

Next steps:

- Finalize the actual sets and legends that will go on sale.
- Make arrangements for packaging.
- Start group-buy.

Thank you for your time and consideration. Feel free to drop any questions or concerns you have below and I'll be answering them in the best way I can.
Also consider joining Low Profile Keyboards discord if you'd like to stay up to date on the progress or chat about it in general.

Gallery:

283133-1 283135-2 283137-3
283139-4 283141-5 283143-6
283145-7

283147-8 283149-9

283151-10
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 February 2022, 07:22:30 by ice9js »

Offline lukelex

Re: [IC] MLDS Low Profile Keycaps for Kailh Choc Switches
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 27 February 2022, 10:59:53 »
I’m in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline psxndc

[IC] MLDS Low Profile Keycaps for Kailh Choc Switches
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 27 February 2022, 21:27:49 »
I like the concept, but don’t understand why you’re making caps that you know won’t fit many boards specifically designed to use choc switches. How many boards out there use choc switches but not “choc spacing?”
Ortho. Always.

Offline ice9js

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 28 February 2022, 02:37:14 »
Thanks y'all for taking a look!

I like the concept, but don’t understand why you’re making caps that you know won’t fit many boards specifically designed to use choc switches. How many boards out there use choc switches but not “choc spacing?”

This is a valid concern, and is part of the IC form as well. Here's my current view:

I understand that there are a lot of choc-spaced boards out there but there also are quite a few popular ones that still choose to use mx-spacing. I believe Corne LP would be one of those, to give an example.
Choc-spacing seem to be most popular with the ergo- community where:

a) A lot of these boards use quote exotic layouts and generally don't seem to be offered as in-stock items. Some still are.
b) These layouts most often consist of just 1u keys with single modifiers in any. If you want to build or design a board like that MBK has already got you covered - as in, even if not ideal, there is an option.

Choc-spacing affects PCB design as well. Most of the ergo- designs feature at least some areas that aren't populated by the switches and can be used to place larger components.
Choc stabilizers require fairly large PCB cutouts which leads to chokepoints in your trace layout as there's only so much usable space around them.
Designing a 'standard' choc-spaced 60% wireless PCB might be borderline impossible due to the lack of space for a wireless module which have very strict requirements regarding their placement and direct environment. The cheap ones significantly exceed choc row height in length while the smaller ones will often cost two- or three- times that - most of which would also require an upgraded PCB manufacturing process.

My hope with this project was it would eventually, hopefully, help bring in more people into low-profile switches that maybe aren't quite ready for something like a 3x6 split, and see more low-profile projects in general.

But the existing community is still important hence I try to highlight the fact and ask about it. I could be entirely wrong in my assumption, in which case I will reconsider it.
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 February 2022, 02:39:26 by ice9js »

Offline jagger27

• ne 1.5U supers???
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 01 March 2022, 09:31:16 »
nice

Offline Aristarco

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 28 June 2023, 21:22:00 »
Well, it's been a year and a half and this hasn't been updated. What happened? Were these keycaps turned into reality? If so, where can I get them? Was the IC successful? Please, say something.