Author Topic: Foolish ideas for optimal ergonomics  (Read 6850 times)

Offline KnowArt

Foolish ideas for optimal ergonomics
« on: Thu, 16 September 2021, 04:43:28 »
Just a few random (and probably stupid) thoughts I had just now. It might just inspire some weirdos among you. Leave your own down below.  ;D

1. As long as you press a letter, the letterboard is mirrored, allowing the other hand to press the keys that would normally cause repeat hand use.
2. Have an few extra keys on each side of the letterboard that constantly change to the letters assigned to the last pressed finger. Allowing 100% finger alternation.
3. When a key is pressed, the key next to it changes to the same letter, allowing for repeat-letter-rolls.
4. Automatically add a space and sticky shift after the most common punctuations. (no shift after comma of course)
5. Not every letter can follow every letter in a language. This leaves the door open for hyper-ergonomics where you have a unique layout for after each letter.
6. Modifier keys at your feet. Feetboard. Frees up your thumbs to alleviate your index fingers that had to move sideways like a pleb.

Have a nice one

Offline ergonaut

Re: Foolish ideas for optimal ergonomics
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 19 September 2021, 07:02:48 »
Number 6 is already available from Kinesis.

Offline hoggy

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 25 November 2021, 13:00:20 »
Automatically typing a u after a q.  Would only work for some languages and I can see it being a real pain for passwords.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline fortissim2

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 27 November 2021, 12:31:40 »
Automatically typing a u after a q.  Would only work for some languages and I can see it being a real pain for passwords.

I've tried this out inb4 and it's actually pretty convenient, you could also eliminate the UE bigram with words like question, queen, queer, queue (not really), etc. if you're using a keeb layout like Colemak!
And for typing Q separately, you could use AltGr, who knows :p