Author Topic: Clack Valuation Thread  (Read 924648 times)

Offline cooldiscretion

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Convicted guilty of being totally rad.
Re: Clack Valuation Thread
« Reply #700 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 11:20:14 »
Hi all.  I am not sure if this is the correct thread,  but wanted to ask you all if you knew the names of these skulls?

Show Image

Thank you in advance.

Veteran, Miz Kite, Salute, OG Tri, GH Tri, Jack O' Lantern.

Full mark on the clack knowledge test. Woohoo~

Thank you!!!  Right,  I am no officially in love with the Veteran and Miz Kite  ;D

Hands down, those have to be the top 6 sickest looking clacks. Isn't this Naasfu's pic?

Although, it would be even better if Noisy's Spumoni was there to.

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #701 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 11:24:07 »
Hi all.  I am not sure if this is the correct thread,  but wanted to ask you all if you knew the names of these skulls?

Show Image

Thank you in advance.

Veteran, Miz Kite, Salute, OG Tri, GH Tri, Jack O' Lantern.

Full mark on the clack knowledge test. Woohoo~

Thank you!!!  Right,  I am no officially in love with the Veteran and Miz Kite  ;D

Hands down, those have to be the top 6 sickest looking clacks. Isn't this Naasfu's pic?

Although, it would be even better if Noisy's Spumoni was there to.

That is indeed his pic,  I should have credited naasfu. Great pic.

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #702 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 15:10:12 »
if noisy sends me spumoni, i can take another pic. :)
a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

WANTED: gib clacks        post your mspaints!        post your rubber domes!

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #703 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 21:17:35 »

That would be incredible! Do it Noisy!
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
« Reply #704 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 05:03:05 »

That would be incredible! Do it Noisy!
Chances are he won't get it back  ;)
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #705 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 18:59:16 »

Show Image

Thank you in advance.

This is the thread you want https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=39794.0

The answer as it relates to this current thread would be $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

And a very, very large number of $$$$$$$
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #706 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 02:34:25 »
 :blank:

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #707 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 02:47:26 »

how much is my tangerine skull worth?  what about my ketchup red skull?
a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #708 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 03:03:03 »

It's an Orangesicle right? I do like the tangerine name though. :)

Offline Belfong

« Reply #709 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 03:08:45 »

Never heard of tangerine and ketchup. I think you have been duped! Sounds like name K3KC comes up with :p

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #710 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 03:28:59 »

I'll trade you my clementine and mustard skulls for those two bro

Offline whizzard

• whizzard got ur gizzard
    • LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #711 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 10:31:32 »
Sorry for being a noob... but what is an "OG" clack?  I see it from time to time referenced and I have no idea. 

Also, is the value basically based on how many colors it has, like the solid colors are worth less than a clack with a color along with the white or grey or whatever skull?  Or is it based on age?  Just curious, thanks... I am just guessing more color = more value, but not really sure.

Offline btctopre

« Reply #712 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 10:46:22 »
Sorry for being a noob... but what is an "OG" clack?  I see it from time to time referenced and I have no idea. 
OG Tri is the black base, white face, red eyes clack skull (it's bottom left in the picture of the six clacks above).

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #713 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 10:46:44 »

Also, is the value basically based on how many colors it has, like the solid colors are worth less than a clack with a color along with the white or grey or whatever skull?  Or is it based on age?  Just curious, thanks... I am just guessing more color = more value, but not really sure.

That's the OG Tri-Color Clack.  Trigger warning for pricing of OG Tri at EK.  :))

All else equal (equal rarity), you are correct.  Ultimately, value of Clacks is a combination of rarity and number of colors.  A great example is the 3D Clack, which is technically a tri-color, but it valued equal to a Mint Gum and HO due to its prevalence.

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #714 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 10:53:05 »
That one you linked is really sweet... does clack factory ever make more OG's or was that a one time thing?  Are there only like 50 known caps or something?  Thanks for the fast replies!

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #715 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 10:57:04 »

That's the OG Tri-Color Clack.  Trigger warning for pricing of OG Tri at EK.  :))

All else equal (equal rarity), you are correct.  Ultimately, value of Clacks is a combination of rarity and number of colors.  A great example is the 3D Clack, which is technically a tri-color, but it valued equal to a Mint Gum and HO due to its prevalence.

$16 LOL ..... then again, bread was 10c a loaf and gas was $1/gallon ......

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #716 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 11:01:43 »

$16 LOL ..... then again, bread was 10c a loaf and gas was $1/gallon ......

:))   Yep.  I remember talking to someone who said their wife thought they were crazy for spending $16 on a keycap.  And now it's worth $300.   :eek:

That one you linked is really sweet... does clack factory ever make more OG's or was that a one time thing?  Are there only like 50 known caps or something?  Thanks for the fast replies!

I haven't seen any appear since then.  He tends to make new colorways a lot, rather than remake previous ones (excepting holidays/themes), but I could be wrong about the OGs.  And I don't think anyone knows exactly how many (other than maybe EK), or at least no one will share that.  ;)

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #717 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 13:45:20 »
Can someone tell me the approximate value of these keys?

(click more.. didn't want to suck up too much space)

More

Just wondering if they are super expensive or worth going after.

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
« Reply #718 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 17:16:04 »
Can someone tell me the approximate value of these keys?

(click more.. didn't want to suck up too much space)

More
Show Image

Show Image

Just wondering if they are super expensive or worth going after.
skull is approx 150-175
mint gum wasd + blank maybe 100-125

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #719 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 18:00:43 »
Where does the Vader Clack sit on the trade value scale? Tough to not sound like I may be getting one and I may want to trade it, but I haven't even seen it yet and might want to keep it for a layout I have, either way it would appear on my classifieds if I did trade it, but I digress... any thoughts on value compared to other bi/tri color clacks?

Picture Credit: eth0s

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
« Reply #720 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 18:06:26 »
Where does the Vader Clack sit on the trade value scale? Tough to not sound like I may be getting one and I may want to trade it, but I haven't even seen it yet and might want to keep it for a layout I have, either way it would appear on my classifieds if I did trade it, but I digress... any thoughts on value compared to other bi/tri color clacks?

Show Image

one sold for 200 eur like 2 days ago, so that would be a good stand point I think

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #721 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 18:14:01 »

Show Image

one sold for 200 eur like 2 days ago, so that would be a good stand point I think

Not sure I trust sold prices so much (eg: Single Color sells for US $284.00 on eBay), I was really asking for where everyone sees it on the trade food chain, so if for example (hypothetically speaking) I was going to trade for it, would I give up any old single color clack, a bi color, or maybe a tri color?

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #722 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 18:17:12 »

Show Image

Not sure I trust sold prices so much (eg: Single Color sells for US $284.00 on eBay), I was really asking for where everyone sees it on the trade food chain, so if for example (hypothetically speaking) I was going to trade for it, would I give up any old single color clack, a bi color, or maybe a tri color?

Tri IMHO
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
« Reply #723 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 18:21:08 »

Show Image

Well it was up for a day or two, but it would be wort as much as a bi skull

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #724 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 18:25:57 »

Show Image

Just so you remember there are fakes of this so I highly recommend you see backside pictures of it before hand to avoid disappointment :X As for the value I will leave that to others
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #725 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 18:27:59 »
Normally they have been traded out here or sold for $200 to fellow GHers if I recall it correctly. You can probably get a trip color on the lowe r end but it would be a bit difficult depending on the cap and the owner. (Some users night decline a Vader trade for their drunken skull bi color)

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #726 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 19:13:26 »
Normally they have been traded out here or sold for $200 to fellow GHers if I recall it correctly. You can probably get a trip color on the lowe r end but it would be a bit difficult depending on the cap and the owner. (Some users night decline a Vader trade for their drunken skull bi color)

:D flattered you have had a look at my classifieds Mr... I am still wanting them White and Grey gasmasks... but I wouldn't trade a Vader for them though (if I had one), so don't get any ideas ;)

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #727 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 19:16:59 »
I actually saw this in the watched since I have this thread as a watched.

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #728 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 19:19:53 »
I actually saw this in the watched since I have this thread as a watched.

Oh yea me too... no I meant that you knew that I wanted a drunken skull ;) ha ha...

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #729 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 19:20:47 »
Was just lucky that I used it as an example.

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #730 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 08:55:21 »

Show Image

To add to price discrepancy,  the Vader went for 195 and a tri went for 90... Suggesting two tri skulls to a Vader?  So given below discussions, were the tri clacks cheap or Vader expensive?

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
« Reply #731 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 11:22:34 »

Show Image

To add to price discrepancy,  the Vader went for 195 and a tri went for 90... Suggesting two tri skulls to a Vader?  So given below discussions, were the tri clacks cheap or Vader expensive?
tri clacks were really cheap. they usually go for 300 usd +

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #732 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 06:20:22 »
Those prices were more than fair, I would love to see more CC's go for fair prices and get used by people than seeing inflated ones end up in hoarders collections. I cap must be used and enjoyed not tossed in a box  :thumb:
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
« Reply #733 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 10:51:17 »
Looks like there will be no Clacks for me ://////////////////////////

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #734 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 11:23:48 »
Show Image

:)) :))

Wow. Pretty much exactly what I'd expect from Reddit.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline ImpendingxDoom

• * Maker
  • MF the SuperVillain
« Reply #735 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 11:58:57 »
Show Image

That's what I get for using eBay for PCs

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #736 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 13:01:46 »
Show Image

Exactly.  What a ****.  If you make a deal, you keep it.  And just because some dumbasses drive up the prices on eBay like that doesn't mean that that's the value.  It honestly seems like it's Reddit driving up the prices now, not GH like some people over there insist.

Anyways, I'll continue my at cost tirade and continue to only buy and sell at or damn near cost.

Do you have any Clacks Signature?

Offline justify

• Great news!
« Reply #737 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 13:05:41 »
Show Image

Exactly.  What a ****.  If you make a deal, you keep it.  And just because some dumbasses drive up the prices on eBay like that doesn't mean that that's the value.  It honestly seems like it's Reddit driving up the prices now, not GH like some people over there insist.

Anyways, I'll continue my at cost tirade and continue to only buy and sell at or damn near cost.

How is it 'reddit' that's driving up prices? There's just as much people selling at marked up prices on GH than on reddit, please dont bash reddit just because of a few users letting reddit down. This is why 2 communities can't exist, because each just tries to 1up each other, and it's getting annoying, can't we all just play nice for once?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #738 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 13:12:48 »
I've mostly seen ridiculous prices in /r/mechmarket.  Most the people in here who put them on sale for ridiculous prices get called out and the eBay auctions get mocked. My point was that that person on Reddit was a **** for backing out of the deal due to dollar signs in their eyes, not bashing a community as a whole.  All I stated was that it appears that most of the price inflation appears to be due to Reddit.  For example, I was pissed when I saw some of my early caps being sold for 3x what I sold them for with shipping and shipping wasn't even included in the price. 

Most of the hate seems to come from r/mk though.  I'm fine with them, just not the vitriol toward GH I see so often.  Anything regarding Clacks tends to include a few statements: 1. "Geekwhackers" are retarded idiots and 2. Counterfeiting is okay and should be supported.
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 March 2015, 13:16:46 by nubbinator »

Offline justify

• Great news!
« Reply #739 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 13:18:30 »
I've mostly seen ridiculous prices in /r/mechmarket.  Most the people in here who put them on sale for ridiculous prices get called out and the eBay auctions get mocked. My point was that that person on Reddit was a **** for backing out of the deal due to dollar signs in their eyes, not bashing a community as a whole.  All I stated was that it appears that most of the price inflation appears to be due to Reddit.  For example, I was pissed when I saw some of my early caps being sold for 3x what I sold them for with shipping and shipping wasn't even included in the price. 

Alos, have you been in r/mk lately?  Anything regarding Clacks tends to include a few statements: 1. "Geekwhackers" are retarded idiots and 2. Counterfeiting is okay and should be supported.
I am on both reddit and geekhack. All I care about is great keyboard content, not counterfeiting and calling geekhackers geekwhackers. There are plenty of people on here that do auctions via PM (that have contacted me - agreed a price, then backed out because someone offered them more), aswell as on /r/mechmarket. Price inflation occurs because of ebay if anything. I understand that you feel upset because a cap you made sold for more $, as its your work being sold and you making no return, however that doesn't 'justify' (:P) saying it's 'reddit's' fault, it's just 1 user. You never know, that guy might be a popular guy on GH that just uses reddit to keep his identity hidden, you never know these days. I know that's probably not the case but it's not reddits fault for that. Why should you get upset that you are all called geekwhackers? You shouldn't care really, it's just a name, afterall.

I dont want to rant as this isnt the right place to do so but I just hate it when redditors get all the flack for problems not directly/indirectly caused by it. We/them are people too :)

Offline ImpendingxDoom

• * Maker
  • MF the SuperVillain
« Reply #740 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 13:22:59 »

Most of the hate seems to come from r/mk though.  I'm fine with them, just not the vitriol toward GH I see so often.  Anything regarding Clacks tends to include a few statements: 1. "Geekwhackers" are retarded idiots and 2. Counterfeiting is okay and should be supported.

I am that ****, and let it be known that I backed out of nothing. I was looking for a trade and have no interest in getting money for it.

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
« Reply #741 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 13:23:42 »
Show Image

Not atm ;)

Offline ImpendingxDoom

• * Maker
  • MF the SuperVillain
« Reply #742 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 20:59:59 »
Despite being the butt of the joke, I would love some valuation. I never intend to make a dollar off of this Clack, but I would love to be informed of whether or not I would be trading it fairly.

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #743 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 23:46:38 »
f2 reds are one of the most common skulls.  they usually sell for $90-100... not $285.  they are a nice color though and have some variations in shade.

Offline tbc

« Reply #744 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 23:47:19 »
Despite being the butt of the joke, I would love some valuation. I never intend to make a dollar off of this Clack, but I would love to be informed of whether or not I would be trading it fairly.

Show Image

Show Image

what's the deal with the 2 holes?  that means 'reviewer sample' correct?

they should be a 'real' color and not an f2 offcolor right?
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #745 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 23:52:07 »

Show Image

Show Image

No, no, the number of holes corresponds with the number of defects.  One hole is color defect, two holes is an aesthetic defect.

I'm totally making **** up.

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #746 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 23:58:10 »
i'll believe anything that you say, nubbs.  :-*

the seller told me these were "factory seconds" from CF, so it seems like these were sold via the F2 sales.  maybe someone who was actually around during that time would know.

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #747 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 23:59:04 »

Show Image

Show Image

No, no, the number of holes corresponds with the number of defects.  One hole is color defect, two holes is an aesthetic defect.

I understand that you feel upset because a cap you made sold for more $, as its your work being sold and you making no return, however that doesn't 'justify' (:P) saying it's 'reddit's' fault, it's just 1 user.

I'm totally making **** up.

This guy thinks you are u[set at people selling your caps exponentially higher because you are not making any profit on it. Good logic much?  :p He doesn't realize that you are against selling at severely inflated prices because of principle and not because of profit or w/e.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #748 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 04:08:04 »
Yeah F2's for like $60-100 reasonably, depending on whatever and stuff  :cool:

Offline TypoVampire

« Reply #749 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 07:10:41 »
I've been out of the keyboard business for a while, but atm I'm a bit money strapped, and I still have a 3D MX CC lying around. Can someone give me a valuation or maybe even an offer?