Author Topic: heatware vs itrader?  (Read 2636 times)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
heatware vs itrader?
« on: Wed, 01 August 2012, 17:41:41 »
hey folks,

rknize and i were discussing the difficulty of implementing an itrader like extension given the other fires burning, and we were wondering, what are the concrete advantages that a forum-specific itrader-like extension would have over just standardizing on heatware?

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
Re: heatware vs itrader?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 01 August 2012, 17:57:55 »
Would it be possible to reuse any of the existing itrader data or is that gone?

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 01 August 2012, 17:59:40 »
I was just about to ask about this!

I personally am fine with heatware, especially since I know a mess of us frequent other nerdy forums. I'm sure it would benefit many. We could definitely ask them to add us to the drop-down list considering how much we love to test/trade boards and caps (still can write it in if not).

I don't know much about itrader, but I assume it would allow for a bit more moderation/control over any possible errors or exploitation. Guess that depends on if or how much you want to "police" it. Can you shed some light on how much control you would have? Or want to? Many forum admins and moderators don't want to get involved in disputes.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 01 August 2012, 18:00:52 »
I don't care, as long as I don't have to sign up for another site
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 01 August 2012, 18:20:30 »
itrader was the old feedback module we used on vB4. we still have the old feedback database, but there's no clean feedback module for SMF that we like, and even then, to recover that data we would have to put effort into translating between the table schemas.

heatware.com is the standard feedback website for pc enthusiast websites (eg, OCN, anandtech, hardforum, etc.). i am absolutely sure we could get added to the drop-down (in fact, i'm going to go ahead and request that now), the question is whether you, the users, have a concrete reason why we should prioritize building our own proprietary trader feedback system.

also, fyi, we did _not_ police the old itrader system (in fact in a year or two worth of data we had only a  handful of non-positive feedbacks, period)
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 August 2012, 18:24:09 by mkawa »

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 01 August 2012, 21:41:20 »
this is resolved as far as we're concerned. you're free to reference heatware/what-have-you, but we will not be providing any feedback mechanism as part of our forum software.