Author Topic: [GB] Universal TKL plate (Filco/phantom/CM quickfire compatible)  (Read 122658 times)

Offline gnubag

Re: [GB] Universal TKL plate (Filco/phantom/CM quickfire compatible)
« Reply #250 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 12:58:56 »
l0l

next time just buy more plates so they act as reinforcements huehuehue jk

bending it back should be ok.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #251 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 13:01:38 »
Sometimes I actually think postal services try and **** up packages..

To straighten it you'll need to bend it the opposite way.. you can't just flatten it as it'll never be fully flat that way.

Yeah... I assumed just bending it would be the obvious way to do it  but now I'm scared that while I'm bending it, it's going to give way I'm going to create like this huge fold into it....... this is pretty retarded.

Thanks for the tips though....
Just do it nice and slowly, don't rush it. Bend it the opposite way slightly, see how it looks, and repeat until it looks flat. Don't go overboard and bend it loads at once.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #252 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 13:01:44 »
Well, if you're too worried about damaging it further and if you have a local metal or machine shop, perhaps they can run it through their metal roller thingy and straighten it out for hopefully a small fee?

I've never done this, just an idea
I stay busy with work and family these days, but I'm still around, lurking.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #253 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 13:01:53 »
l0l

next time just buy more plates so they act as reinforcements huehuehue jk

bending it back should be ok.

Yeah... I'll give that a shot first. I'll post results later :)) Thank you though.

Just do it nice and slowly, don't rush it. Bend it the opposite way slightly, see how it looks, and repeat until it looks flat. Don't go overboard and bend it loads at once.

Will do :)

Well, if you're too worried about damaging it further and if you have a local metal or machine shop, perhaps they can run it through their metal roller thingy and straighten it out for hopefully a small fee?

I've never done this, just an idea

Ooo, worst case scenario, I'll try that :) Thanks! I guess if the bending doesn't work as well, I can try take it to the school and go to the workshop and see if a friend can do it :)

Also, thanks WFD for the awesome plate! The finish on it as just as pretty as the aluminum one!
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 July 2013, 13:04:10 by VesperSAINT »

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #254 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 13:02:36 »
Sometimes I actually think postal services try and **** up packages..

To straighten it you'll need to bend it the opposite way.. you can't just flatten it as it'll never be fully flat that way.

Yeah... I assumed just bending it would be the obvious way to do it  but now I'm scared that while I'm bending it, it's going to give way I'm going to create like this huge fold into it....... this is pretty retarded.

Thanks for the tips though....

My Poker plates arrived like that (almost..), I think some of the curvature is due to the raw stock.  I used a 2x4, bent them flat gradually, trying to move across the area being bent, to avoid creasing them.  Worked fine, got them both nice and flat. 

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #255 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 13:08:40 »
My Poker plates arrived like that (almost..), I think some of the curvature is due to the raw stock.  I used a 2x4, bent them flat gradually, trying to move across the area being bent, to avoid creasing them.  Worked fine, got them both nice and flat. 

Thank you for the information! Good to know that others have been able to fix this issue perfectly at home. I shall give it a shot as soon as I can today! Time to go gather heavy text books.

Thanks guys :)

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #256 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 14:31:59 »
VesperSAINT, if you can't fix it, send that one back and I'll send you one of the leftovers I have. For the time being, TRY THIS (at 46m 58s). If you can't do it, then I'll try to salvage it.

I know Beast's source for plates come bent because they way they are processed, but all mine are shipped perfectly flat and ready to be installed. I paid the manufacturer extra for the brushed finish, and for them to NOT bend it. A bit sad to see the post office handling it like this.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #257 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 15:06:50 »
My plate is in my Filco with everything soldered in!  No issues that I can discern.  The Costar stabilizers are SLIGHTLY more loose in the steel plate vs. the stock plate, but seems fine.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #258 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 16:16:50 »
Got my plates in today. They look great! Thanks, WFD. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #259 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 19:32:56 »
VesperSAINT, if you can't fix it, send that one back and I'll send you one of the leftovers I have. For the time being, TRY THIS (at 46m 58s). If you can't do it, then I'll try to salvage it.

I know Beast's source for plates come bent because they way they are processed, but all mine are shipped perfectly flat and ready to be installed. I paid the manufacturer extra for the brushed finish, and for them to NOT bend it. A bit sad to see the post office handling it like this.

I shall leave it straightening over night, but if it's bad even tomorrow, I'll be sure to let you know if I send it back :)

Thank you for the kind offer! I'll be sure to take you up on it when/if needed!

You're jawesome!
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 July 2013, 21:04:28 by VesperSAINT »

Offline turtle

« Reply #260 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 09:34:08 »
WFD,

If you have any extra i would like to buy one. thanks in advance!

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #261 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 16:41:32 »
got mein, nice and straight :) thanks WFD
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
    • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #262 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 16:52:03 »
we have been conversing via PM's about plates. I wanted to post here to make sure that I am in line somewhere.
:)

Offline gnubag

« Reply #263 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 17:14:29 »
mine just arrived.
even with the sticker...

it is bent. .... so sad...
hopefully I can straighten it out decently.

Offline Turkishrambo

« Reply #264 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 17:17:48 »
mine just arrived.
even with the sticker...

it is bent. .... so sad...
hopefully I can straighten it out decently.
They usually come like this. however its usually very easy to straighten it

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #265 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 17:22:59 »
My plate arrived today. I was outside when the mailman came, he said it has a do not bend sticker "I didn't bend it". It is a very nice quality & flat, Thanks WFD, MJ

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #266 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 00:20:57 »
mine just arrived. it is bent. .... so sad...

Dammit  >:D . I'll have to start insuring these packages. That'll be cheaper than buying tons of reinforcements. These plates are expensive and I can't afford many replacements. I'll shoot you a PM in a bit.

Offline gnubag

« Reply #267 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 00:26:08 »
mine just arrived. it is bent. .... so sad...

Dammit  >:D . I'll have to start insuring these packages. That'll be cheaper than buying tons of reinforcements. These plates are expensive and I can't afford many replacements. I'll shoot you a PM in a bit.

It's ok. I managed to bent it straight (just took a while)

I was just surprised that the steel plates got that much bent since the alu plate I got from you was perfectly straight with about the same packaging.
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 July 2013, 00:28:54 by gnubag »

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #268 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 01:11:53 »
Just reporting that I got the plate straightened out fairly flat. Just spent the entire day modding my QFR. Happy to say that the mod was successful! Only thing that bothers me is the blemishes the plates arrived with but I assume these happened during manufacturing :\ Right, WFD?

Now I have 2 custom/modded keyboards! One aluminum and the other stainless steel! Thanks WFD.

The blemishes :( At least I won't see them with keycaps on :)

Offline Kempher

« Reply #269 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 01:38:20 »
Just reporting that I got the plate straightened out fairly flat. Just spent the entire day modding my QFR. Happy to say that the mod was successful! Only thing that bothers me is the blemishes the plates arrived with but I assume these happened during manufacturing :\ Right, WFD?

Now I have 2 custom/modded keyboards! One aluminum and the other stainless steel! Thanks WFD.

Show Image
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Looks good, you can barely see the marks, and those def wont show once its all back together.
SQ-1800 /w Gateron Blacks

Offline gnubag

« Reply #270 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 01:39:37 »
mine did not have any marks but the aluminium plate from the first round was covered in blemished (i didn't mind it too much)

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #271 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 01:48:17 »

Show Image
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

No, blemishes and large scratches are not suppose to be there, especially like how your last picture shows. The manufacturer was careful not to put scratches on the surface after the brushed finish, because I told them these are final products and won't be powder-coated later. I also spot checked all the ones I sent out so far when I packaged them, and none of them were like that.

First pic shows you laying the stock black plate on top with a tone of stuff on top to straighten it out. I think that's where the scratches came from. Maybe try to take a towel to scrub off those marks to see if they're removable.

mine did not have any marks but the aluminium plate from the first round was covered in blemished (i didn't mind it too much

The first round aluminum ones, I will admit did have some scratches, especially the leftover ones. That's how bare stock metal comes, and I did not pay extra for them to do surface finishing, and I did not tell them the plates were final products. They assumed I was going to have them painted to media-blasted elsewhere.
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 July 2013, 01:50:40 by WhiteFireDragon »

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #272 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 01:56:12 »
mine did not have any marks but the aluminium plate from the first round was covered in blemished (i didn't mind it too much)

Both of mine had blemishes but oh well :\ Not a big deal if I can't see it :))

Show Image
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

No, blemishes and large scratches are not suppose to be there, especially like how your last picture shows. The manufacturer was careful not to put scratches on the surface after the brushed finish, because I told them these are final products and won't be powder-coated later. I also spot checked all the ones I sent out so far when I packaged them, and none of them were like that.

First pic shows you laying the stock black plate on top with a tone of stuff on top to straighten it out. I think that's where the scratches came from. Maybe try to take a towel to scrub off those marks to see if they're removable.

mine did not have any marks but the aluminium plate from the first round was covered in blemished (i didn't mind it too much

The first round aluminum ones, I will admit did have some scratches, especially the leftover ones. That's how bare stock metal comes, and I did not pay extra for them to do surface finishing, and I did not tell them the plates were final products. They assumed I was going to have them painted to media-blasted elsewhere.

The scratches were on there from the start (I swear, I have no reason to lie as I built the keyboard anyway) but they may be a result from the shipment seeing that mine were super bent too... :( .. I only placed the black plate on top of that thing after it was already mostly straightened out, and I made sure for no movement between the two... Now I wish I just sent it back to you and got it replaced... :P I don't blame you for the scratches, but I hope you believe me too... *sigh* Just bad luck, I guess... can't really do anything about it seeing that I already made the keyboard.

All in all, awesome plates, WFD! :)

Note: WFD is the man.
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 July 2013, 03:08:21 by VesperSAINT »

Offline shadewolf

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #273 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 15:05:35 »
Got mine in as well, and it's also got a nice bend in it and on one of the corners, but I'm sure I'll be able to straighten it out before I get the rest of the parts together to get my Filco modded. Or maybe whoever mods it will straighten it for a small fee :D

Thanks WFD :)

Edit: Maybe going forward you could offer to ship these in a medium flat rate box if people want to pay for it to avoid them getting roughed up...or if you could source smaller boxes that would fit the plate better...anyways just a thought :thumb:
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 July 2013, 15:07:43 by shadewolf »

Offline Turkishrambo

« Reply #274 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 20:58:27 »
Any left WFD? I need one for my phantom. Not going to wait any longer for bavman.

Offline turtle

« Reply #275 on: Fri, 19 July 2013, 16:03:23 »
I hope so I would love one. Just picked up a qfr >.<

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #276 on: Fri, 19 July 2013, 16:11:15 »
I might have to get another batch, because I don't have enough leftovers for everyone.

Maybe this time around, I'll have Beast cut it to save on costs. But Beast's local source will definitely come already bent, and finish is not as nice. So it'll come down to unbending it yourself and less nice surface finish, or pay a little more for smoother brushed finish and ready to install.

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
« Reply #277 on: Fri, 19 July 2013, 16:14:17 »
I might have to get another batch, because I don't have enough leftovers for everyone.

Maybe this time around, I'll have Beast cut it to save on costs. But Beast's local source will definitely come already bent, and finish is not as nice. So it'll come down to unbending it yourself and less nice surface finish, or pay a little more for smoother brushed finish and ready to install.

whatever is easier for you man.  Beast plates are pretty good quality and bend isn't really that bad.  in the end, its a plate.  who's going to be looking at it?
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #278 on: Fri, 19 July 2013, 16:26:03 »
Out of curiosity, what do you guys use to open the switches once they are mounted onto the plate?  In the absence of the Beast's tool?  Bent staples?  Photos or a video would be great.

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
« Reply #279 on: Fri, 19 July 2013, 16:28:19 »
Out of curiosity, what do you guys use to open the switches once they are mounted onto the plate?  In the absence of the Beast's tool?  Bent staples?  Photos or a video would be great.

used a jeweler's flathead with some success.  nothing beats the switch tool.  its easier, faster and doesn't mar the switch house nearly as much as a screwdriver.
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #280 on: Fri, 19 July 2013, 16:29:46 »
Before my switch removal tool, I used tweezers like this:

I only had one so it got tricky at times but if you had 2, it'd probably work just as well as the switch removal tools. They should be fairly cheap online too.
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 July 2013, 16:31:22 by VesperSAINT »

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #281 on: Fri, 19 July 2013, 16:31:58 »
Thank you.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean

Offline turtle

« Reply #283 on: Fri, 19 July 2013, 16:45:50 »

whatever is easier for you man.  Beast plates are pretty good quality and bend isn't really that bad.  in the end, its a plate.  who's going to be looking at it?

^^agreed. Thanks wfd! Lmk!

Offline UniClown

« Reply #284 on: Fri, 19 July 2013, 17:03:49 »

Some people have success with binder clips like these

remove the black part and bend it for the right angle. I haven't done this, but I think nubbinator does.

Offline oluf

• formerly olaph
« Reply #285 on: Fri, 19 July 2013, 19:53:10 »
I received my plate today. Nice and straight and blemish free... Thank you WFD!

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #286 on: Sat, 20 July 2013, 14:42:49 »
I have a spare TKL plate availible. I ordered a plate from WFD then later I got a Phantom pcb with a plate. PM me if interested sell for what I paid. M.J.
EDIT HAS BEEN SOLD !!!!!
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 July 2013, 13:12:38 by MJ45 »

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #287 on: Sat, 20 July 2013, 14:50:57 »
I have a spare TKL plate availible. I ordered a plate from WFD then later I got a Phantom pcb with a plate. PM me if interested sell for what I paid. M.J.

You gon' git lotsa PM's, bro.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #288 on: Sat, 20 July 2013, 15:04:40 »
On a semi-unrelated note, what do you think is a good way to fancy up stock Filco plates?  I have 2 now, without use.  Wondering if sanding and using engine enamel (+baking) would result in sturdy finish.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #289 on: Sat, 20 July 2013, 15:07:25 »
On a semi-unrelated note, what do you think is a good way to fancy up stock Filco plates?  I have 2 now, without use.  Wondering if sanding and using engine enamel (+baking) would result in sturdy finish.

That be a good question, man. I have 2 unused plates not too ~ Hmmm. The QFR one is already pretty and red but the Filco one is kind of ugly. Keep us posted on what you do with them :D Also, update your avatar with the spacebar! :P

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #290 on: Sat, 20 July 2013, 15:09:42 »
I'll look into it.  There are lots of cool engine enamel colors, from metallics to glossy shades.  I've been using one of the plates as a lubing station. Also great for playing with switches.  Like I have a batch of vintage blacks now, mounted on an empty plate, just to play with.

Offline maxmalkav

« Reply #291 on: Sun, 21 July 2013, 13:33:12 »
Still waiting my order :S (2 ISO plates). Are there still pending shipments? I hope so, otherwise something went wrong with my order.

I'm moving soon to a new address and I'll like to know when I can expect the package to arrive and so leave instructions about what to do with it.

Offline gnubag

« Reply #292 on: Sun, 21 July 2013, 17:03:54 »
Still waiting my order :S (2 ISO plates). Are there still pending shipments? I hope so, otherwise something went wrong with my order.

I'm moving soon to a new address and I'll like to know when I can expect the package to arrive and so leave instructions about what to do with it.

wait. there are ISO plates?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #293 on: Sun, 21 July 2013, 17:05:21 »

If I got mine on July 15, in the U.S., then it's entirely possible that yours are still traveling, given that you are in Spain.

Offline maxmalkav

« Reply #294 on: Sun, 21 July 2013, 17:46:06 »

If I got mine on July 15, in the U.S., then it's entirely possible that yours are still traveling, given that you are in Spain.

Thanks for your reply. Knowing that they are still dispatching plates around USA let me know it's just a matter of time :)

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #295 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 04:55:59 »

Thanks for your reply. Knowing that they are still dispatching plates around USA let me know it's just a matter of time :)

maxmalkav, wrong GB. Although this plate is compatible with phantom PCB, this GB is unrelated to logistics of the Phantom GB.

For your specific situation of the Phantom GB, bavman has your stuff and it's out of my control. If I had known he was going to go AFK for this long (I sure hope he is ok), I would have personally shipped it myself. I told him I'd be willing to help him ship out stuff he was suppose to take care of, but bavman insisted on shipping your stuff since it was his mistake to ship out your PCB separately.

Offline maxmalkav

« Reply #296 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 06:42:36 »

maxmalkav, wrong GB. Although this plate is compatible with phantom PCB, this GB is unrelated to logistics of the Phantom GB.

For your specific situation of the Phantom GB, bavman has your stuff and it's out of my control. If I had known he was going to go AFK for this long (I sure hope he is ok), I would have personally shipped it myself. I told him I'd be willing to help him ship out stuff he was suppose to take care of, but bavman insisted on shipping your stuff since it was his mistake to ship out your PCB separately.

D'oh! I apologise for the confusion. WhiteFireDragon, thanks a lot for the info ;)

Offline kekkon

« Reply #297 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 12:24:09 »
I received my plate with no bend at all, thanks to WFD  ;D and the postman  :p

One question though, can I power coat the plate?  ;D

Offline eyesmiles

« Reply #298 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 19:25:26 »

You can powder coat the plate as I've had it done to Beast's poker plate. I was going to have WFD's plate powder coated but I thought about it and felt it would be a waste especially since WFD had it brush finished. It looks great as it is :)

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #299 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 07:34:11 »

You can powder coat the plate as I've had it done to Beast's poker plate. I was going to have WFD's plate powder coated but I thought about it and felt it would be a waste especially since WFD had it brush finished. It looks great as it is :)

I've had some motorcycle parts powder-coated, and I recall that the coating is fairly thick.  Did you mask off the key switch openings, or is there enough clearance to fit the keys even after the coating is applied?

Could be the brand of coating the shop applied, too.  I was having wheels and a swing-arm coated, they may have laid it on pretty thick.