Author Topic: Wurkplace keyboards are disgusting.  (Read 4599 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Wurkplace keyboards are disgusting.
« on: Sat, 14 March 2020, 09:23:39 »
Have ya'll noticed Peeps @ Wurk,  their keebs are greasy, there's always that gross shiny tackiness.

A Clean Keyboard is a Happy Keyboard. 

Tp4 recommends, 5% alcohol + 95% desalinated water cleanser + quality brand paper towel (the floofy kind is best, like Viva)

NE higher on the alcohol, you risk damage to the plastic finish. But you still need some for degreasing.

What do you guys use for cleaning ?

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
Re: Other people's keyboards are disgusting.
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 14 March 2020, 10:30:52 »
I use a cotton swab to clean my caps but i rarely need to clean only after a insane gaming session. Also wash your damn hands and then use your keyboard now with corona definitely was your hands  :-X
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline equalunique

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 14 March 2020, 11:00:58 »
I like my keys shiny and greasy. That's my natural lubricant. Helps me go faster.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 14 March 2020, 13:25:46 »
>_> <_< I haven't cleaned my DC-2014 or F AT at work other than a quick run-over of the externals with isopropyl. There's still decades-worth of stubborn grime on the caps of the DC-2014, for sure. I haven't cared to bother removing them all, but if I do with a board, I usually dunk the whole case and all of the caps into some warm soapy water overnight.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 14 March 2020, 14:00:31 »
I like my keys shiny and greasy. That's my natural lubricant. Helps me go faster.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Offline lolafineday

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 14 March 2020, 14:06:06 »
Water

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
Re: Wurkplace keyboards are disgusting.
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 14 March 2020, 21:26:46 »
Have ya'll noticed Peeps @ Wurk,  their keebs are greasy, there's always that gross shiny tackiness.

A Clean Keyboard is a Happy Keyboard. 
Show Image

Tp4 recommends, 5% alcohol + 95% desalinated water cleanser + quality brand paper towel (the floofy kind is best, like Viva)

NE higher on the alcohol, you risk damage to the plastic finish. But you still need some for degreasing.

What do you guys use for cleaning ?

We don't use anything

Time to get outemu blue keyboard because wireless stuff does not work with our 2008 hp compaqs.
Still can't believe that they are using dual core for solidworks.

Offline rxc92

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 15 March 2020, 00:48:50 »
I use a denture tab and warm water, it's been working pretty well for me. How's it compare to the 5% alcohol?

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 15 March 2020, 07:12:46 »

wtf

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 15 March 2020, 08:43:52 »
I use a denture tab and warm water, it's been working pretty well for me. How's it compare to the 5% alcohol?

Well even with 5% , there's some manual rubbing required.

I haven't tried denture tabs, don't have dentures.  does it require any manual scrubbing?

Offline mode

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 15 March 2020, 10:37:08 »
Regularly cleaning your work board is a perfect excuse to obtain more boards so you can cycle them around.

Honestly it's a feature, I kinda enjoy swapping and cleaning periodically.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 15 March 2020, 10:53:12 »

I usually dunk the whole case and all of the caps into some warm soapy water overnight.

Every time I buy a used keyboard, at the minimum, I pull all the key caps and wash them in soapy water. A spoonful of powdered laundry detergent (plus maybe a spoonful of Oxy-something) in hot water for 10-20 minutes will do just as much as an overnight soak.

I open the case and wash the shell in the kitchen sink, and how I clean the internals depends on what they are. At the minimum vacuum and blow out the board chow, and then usually 10 minutes with alcohol on Q-tips and paper towels.

Once "somebody else's" germs and dirt are gone, I can go a lot longer between cleanings, especially since I wash my hands frequently and there are no smokers or pets in the house.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline rxc92

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 15 March 2020, 18:49:12 »

Well even with 5% , there's some manual rubbing required.

I haven't tried denture tabs, don't have dentures.  does it require any manual scrubbing?

I don't have dentures either (thankfully) but had a dental retainer as a kid. No scrubbing needed, and the keys come out nice and clean.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 15 March 2020, 23:32:51 »
We don't use anything

Time to get outemu blue keyboard because wireless stuff does not work with our 2008 hp compaqs.
Still can't believe that they are using dual core for solidworks.

I have asked about this before. What exactly is it that you're trying to do wirelessly? It was something to do with bluetooth, right? There have been bluetooth bus drivers since at least Windows XP. I would be extremely surprised if you could not literally order any random generic bluetooth dongle from Amazon and not get it working on anything running the shipped operating system going back to the launch of XP ... in 2001, especially if you have a dongle that only supports fairly old Bluetooth standards, which is all you need for a keyboard. There's literally nothing inherent to the hardware of a computer from 2008 that would preclude it from working with anything at all that's designed to communicate over USB, and if you're running Windows 7 or newer, there should be drivers being written for your operating system for anything still being engineered today.

I usually dunk the whole case and all of the caps into some warm soapy water overnight.

Every time I buy a used keyboard, at the minimum, I pull all the key caps and wash them in soapy water. A spoonful of powdered laundry detergent (plus maybe a spoonful of Oxy-something) in hot water for 10-20 minutes will do just as much as an overnight soak.

I open the case and wash the shell in the kitchen sink, and how I clean the internals depends on what they are. At the minimum vacuum and blow out the board chow, and then usually 10 minutes with alcohol on Q-tips and paper towels.

Once "somebody else's" germs and dirt are gone, I can go a lot longer between cleanings, especially since I wash my hands frequently and there are no smokers or pets in the house.

I'm lazy, I like to just let it soak, rinse it off (maybe in a strainer), and unless there's actually anything left on it (usually not after an overnight soak) either rinse it again in alcohol if I want it to dry really fast, or leave it all out under a fan and come back again in another day or two. Saves me time in the long run, with some patience.

Offline typo

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 03:11:57 »
To use a community keyboard is a pretty low level position. I am surprised you are the OP TP4? Since I would figure you have a pretty good job.
Unless you mean just spying on your subordinates. Yeah, people are gross. I would tell them to take a shower first! Most people know you can put keeb in dishwasher. So long s it is 100% dry before you use it.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 07:32:44 »

if I want it to dry really fast, or leave it all out under a fan

My impatience trumps my laziness. I put key caps in a mixing bowl with the soap and how water for 10-20 minutes. At least a couple of times I stir them vigorously, then rinse them by pouring them through a colander, back into the mixing bowl with fresh water, back through the colander, about 3 times.

Then I lay a T-shirt on the bed and pick up the caps one by one, and sling the water out of them. When I am finished with that, I turn them all face up on the T-shirt and let the undersides drain for another 10-20 minutes.

At that point, they are ready to re-install in under an hour. I washed the case and cleaned the internals while I was soaking the caps.
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline rxc92

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 07:51:19 »
I'm lazy, I like to just let it soak, rinse it off (maybe in a strainer), and unless there's actually anything left on it (usually not after an overnight soak) either rinse it again in alcohol if I want it to dry really fast, or leave it all out under a fan and come back again in another day or two. Saves me time in the long run, with some patience.

A day or two? Jeez, I just shake most of the water off into a towel then let it sit for a few hours.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 07:57:37 »
My impatience trumps my laziness. I put key caps in a mixing bowl with the soap and how water for 10-20 minutes. At least a couple of times I stir them vigorously, then rinse them by pouring them through a colander, back into the mixing bowl with fresh water, back through the colander, about 3 times.

Then I lay a T-shirt on the bed and pick up the caps one by one, and sling the water out of them. When I am finished with that, I turn them all face up on the T-shirt and let the undersides drain for another 10-20 minutes.

At that point, they are ready to re-install in under an hour. I washed the case and cleaned the internals while I was soaking the caps.

Slinging caps in a t-shirt, that's a fantastic idea. A lot better than alcohol.

A day or two? Jeez, I just shake most of the water off into a towel then let it sit for a few hours.

I'm usually in no hurry. I often have a lot of concurrent projects, some that sit around for months.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 09:21:10 »
To use a community keyboard is a pretty low level position. I am surprised you are the OP TP4? Since I would figure you have a pretty good job.
Unless you mean just spying on your subordinates. Yeah, people are gross. I would tell them to take a shower first! Most people know you can put keeb in dishwasher. So long s it is 100% dry before you use it.

Am always afraid of cooties spreading from one place to another.  trans-contamination.

So for example, fohat using his mixing bowl and colander,  is he gonna make pasta later ?, because all surfaces have visible and microscopic porosity, where cooties could get in.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 14:40:55 »
I use dish soap and water in an ultrasonic cleaner. Then I dry them with a table fan overnight. If there's something particularly gross on them, I'll use alcohol on a Q-Tip to wipe it off. I also use alcohol and Q-Tips to clean the plate between the switches.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 15:35:27 »
I use dish soap and water in an ultrasonic cleaner. Then I dry them with a table fan overnight. If there's something particularly gross on them, I'll use alcohol on a Q-Tip to wipe it off. I also use alcohol and Q-Tips to clean the plate between the switches.

We are not allowed to do that at school.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 18:00:08 »

dish soap can make plastic cloudy, so double check your colors.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 18:11:07 »

Never heard of that. What types of plastic? I haven't seen dish soap hurt anything.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 18:13:16 »
Never heard of that. What types of plastic? I haven't seen dish soap hurt anything.

Yea, lots of people used dish soap on monitors, and it often turns the front yellow or cloudy on the cheaper monitors.

It'll depend on the monitor sure, but the reaction is unpredictable in these cases.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 10:11:30 »

Hm, I haven't noticed any changes when using dish soap. Isopropyl alcohol does create cloudy spots on my Coolermaster's case in certain spots though. They fade away after a bit though.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 12:49:05 »

Isopropyl alcohol does create cloudy spots on my Coolermaster's case in certain spots though.

Alcohol does not play well at all with certain types of paint. I have generally stopped using it on painted surfaces.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 20:42:36 »
I have seen formulas for combinations of dish soap and isopropyl, which is actually really good at killing bugs of just about any kind without the need for poison by the way. Maybe they were mixing isopropyl with the dish soap in the cases that there was discoloration.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 04:10:25 »
I'm a total freak when it comes to keyboard and mouse clean...
Since I started my adventure with computers when I was 8-9y old - I've been shouting at peeps when they touched my keyboard or mouse.
Nobody touches my keyboard or mouse - if they do, I can immediately sense it - I feel it on the mouse surface, I mean it!

So I keep my keeb and mouse clean all time. Use moist wipes to clean them, wash my hands all the time.
At work, I go and clean my hands like every hour, just to feel that fresh clean touch my caps... mmm....
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 07:52:24 »

just to feel that fresh clean touch my caps

I am not a freak but I like to keep clean.

Caps that have been worn slick just feel wrong to me - even it they are perfectly clean - they just feel greasy.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 08:30:32 »

just to feel that fresh clean touch my caps

I am not a freak but I like to keep clean.

Caps that have been worn slick just feel wrong to me - even it they are perfectly clean - they just feel greasy.

I love that feeling, lol. It has that nice worn-in feeling, like an old stick shift car.

Offline jacethesaltsculptor

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 25 March 2020, 21:42:40 »
Users as my current workplace are of the idea that bothering IT for any reason short of a fire is a bad idea, so we have some of the grossest peripherals I've ever seen in use. I've been shocked that some people even touch some of their boards.

It's become one of the ways I've met people in my new job, offer them one of the 100-200 boards we throw away every month because instead of letting them go to waste in a brand new box, at least hand them a clean one. They are often the same silver and black HP garbage that come with all their computers, but at least this one is a new piece of garbage.

I really wish we'd make this a regular thing, I hate seeing the wastage.

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 25 March 2020, 22:16:27 »
Users as my current workplace are of the idea that bothering IT for any reason short of a fire is a bad idea, so we have some of the grossest peripherals I've ever seen in use. I've been shocked that some people even touch some of their boards.

It's become one of the ways I've met people in my new job, offer them one of the 100-200 boards we throw away every month because instead of letting them go to waste in a brand new box, at least hand them a clean one. They are often the same silver and black HP garbage that come with all their computers, but at least this one is a new piece of garbage.

What? Seriously. At the very least, donate them or something. There's no reason to throw away brand new boards, even cheap OEM rubber domes.

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 25 March 2020, 23:15:41 »

What? Seriously. At the very least, donate them or something. There's no reason to throw away brand new boards, even cheap OEM rubber domes.

It's been apparently an on and off thing at the college I work at now for years, they once upon a time did, but then thought they could be liable if some went "missing" on the way to the schools they were being donated to. Which reeks of BS to me.

Nowadays it's lost in the Bureaucracy of the school, as just another thing that needs to be addressed. They only recently came around to selling older machines instead of throwing them into boxes and being sent to a recycler.

I wish I wasn't kidding.  :-[

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 25 March 2020, 23:44:13 »
It's been apparently an on and off thing at the college I work at now for years, they once upon a time did, but then thought they could be liable if some went "missing" on the way to the schools they were being donated to. Which reeks of BS to me.

Nowadays it's lost in the Bureaucracy of the school, as just another thing that needs to be addressed. They only recently came around to selling older machines instead of throwing them into boxes and being sent to a recycler.

I wish I wasn't kidding.  :-[

Our district does that with anything that could be considered an asset of any kind. It all gets recycled. The recyclers have gotten wise to that years ago now though. They take that old stuff and give it a new home if it is usable. We do it for the same reasons. Red tape, due to state government funds, so it is a lot less of a hassle to just recycle it all than to try to sell it.

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 25 March 2020, 23:56:43 »
I think it was the rise of mass electronic recycler/sellers here in Arizona that changed that, since I was told at one point that became a thing.

I would be all about those places, if it weren't a case of: They sell stuff, but usually in bulk, so if I wanted a computer, I'd be buying a pallet of 30 of them, instead of just one. The price may even be great, but I couldn't store 30 if I dreamed.

I did get a Mac Pro that way though, and I am quite happy with that purchase. They of course never have keyboards. :( (I was hoping since they recycle from other business, besides my institution.)

I'm actually now looking around my city for recyclers like yours, I know that one exists, but they are trying their best to hide. I'm living in Sahuarita AZ now, so I can get up to Tucson more, which means more recyclers maybe! :D

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 26 March 2020, 00:24:15 »
I think it was the rise of mass electronic recycler/sellers here in Arizona that changed that, since I was told at one point that became a thing.

I would be all about those places, if it weren't a case of: They sell stuff, but usually in bulk, so if I wanted a computer, I'd be buying a pallet of 30 of them, instead of just one. The price may even be great, but I couldn't store 30 if I dreamed.

I did get a Mac Pro that way though, and I am quite happy with that purchase. They of course never have keyboards. :( (I was hoping since they recycle from other business, besides my institution.)

I'm actually now looking around my city for recyclers like yours, I know that one exists, but they are trying their best to hide. I'm living in Sahuarita AZ now, so I can get up to Tucson more, which means more recyclers maybe! :D

I do think a lot of them don't like to advertise their location, at all, unless you're looking to hand them some money for things they may just scrap anyway. They usually don't have storefronts, and don't want people to try to break in and steal their scrap metals.

Offline rinkaan

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 26 March 2020, 01:23:20 »
I think there are people who use ultrasonic cleaner with a pcb cleaning solution.. U can prolly dunk the whole thing in but the drying will take ultra long with the caps on... Linus tech tips tried using a dishwasher... But u prolly need to wait for a long time to dry too...

Sent from my Redmi K20 Pro using Tapatalk

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 26 March 2020, 08:02:32 »

thought they could be liable if some went "missing" on the way to the schools they were being donated to. Which reeks of BS to me.

anything that could be considered an asset of any kind. It all gets recycled.

It is common practice to seek verifiable "chain of custody" which ensures that materials are destroyed if that is the stated intent or agreement, precisely so that "double-dipping" would not take place.

A few months ago I watched as thousands of dollars' worth of tools and fasteners were carted off as scrap to be destroyed for $0.04 per pound. [A new vendor had paid for our entire existing stock from another vendor so that they could re-stock our warehouse with their stuff.] I begged to be able to buy some of it myself (a $10 bill would have bought more than my van would hold) but it had to be inventoried and verified as destroyed.

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 26 March 2020, 09:19:47 »
It is common practice to seek verifiable "chain of custody" which ensures that materials are destroyed if that is the stated intent or agreement, precisely so that "double-dipping" would not take place.

A few months ago I watched as thousands of dollars' worth of tools and fasteners were carted off as scrap to be destroyed for $0.04 per pound. [A new vendor had paid for our entire existing stock from another vendor so that they could re-stock our warehouse with their stuff.] I begged to be able to buy some of it myself (a $10 bill would have bought more than my van would hold) but it had to be inventoried and verified as destroyed.

I do know that there is something like this governing what my institution does as well. I don't think it's completely ironclad as I've seen exceptions, But dear lord, sometimes I'm just in awe of the money wastage.

Damn do those exceptions get your hopes up that things will change with it too.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 27 March 2020, 02:35:10 »

I know for sure that recyclers destroy literally nothing that they think that they can resell. I know of our hardware going to a recycler, who then sold it to another recycler, who then ... most likely resold it to consumers. I know the guys that run that place though, they would destroy all data. I do know that.
I do know that there is something like this governing what my institution does as well. I don't think it's completely ironclad as I've seen exceptions, But dear lord, sometimes I'm just in awe of the money wastage.

Damn do those exceptions get your hopes up that things will change with it too.