Author Topic: WYSE with vintage blacks  (Read 3263 times)

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
WYSE with vintage blacks
« on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 02:21:53 »
Looking to find an old board to harvest vintage blacks from. But not really sure what model I am looking for. Also my option for a full board shipped to Canada are pretty limited price wise.
Any information would be much appreciated, thanks!

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: WYSE with vintage blacks
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 08:33:43 »
There are only two that work with a modern computer, the 900886 (Ps2) and 900840 (DIN). All the WYSE PCE keyboards have a "normal" layout, so you'd be getting a pretty full complement of switches. My WYSE PCE (terminal version of the above) is number 840358.

Other than that, you can get them pretty easily on ebay, but they have less switches, and not all the keycaps will work. I have a keyboard from a WY-30, with a sweet layout (like a poker with a tenkey and a 9.95x spacebar) model number 840013. A better bet is to get a WY50 or WY60 one. The Wy50's should have thicker keycaps, but the ones on mine were stepped. The WY-50 keyboard is 840059.

If you want, It would probably be possible for me to to mail forward you one from ebay. I could take the casing and keycaps off, and it'd be under 4 lbs (First class mail international) for sure.

I have four, (one in just a set of keycaps), and I think I paid less than $20 shipped for each.

Only get beige ones, and don't get any with a windows key.

Here's two of them for $25. I want another WYSE, so I'd happily split you.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-EACH-WYSE-PCE-KEYBOARD-840358-01-/160879264229?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item257526c1e5

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 09:28:26 »
You just want the switches then? I have some old Triad terminal boards with vintage blacks laying in the closet right now. I'm getting ready to desolder all the switch after work today. Let me know if you want to reserve a quantity, I think I will sell the switches for $.20/each.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 13:43:22 »
I sent you a pm Lysol!

Dorkvader, I would love to split on that with you. But the only issue is getting a board to me in Canada. Even shipping 5 hours, a keyboard with some weight costs me about $30-50. Couldn't imagine it coming from the states to me. If you have a cheaper shipping method, then yes we can work out something with those boards! Just shoot me a pm if you have any ideas.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 19:58:44 »
I decided to PM instead :p

<SNIP>

Offline Magna224

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 09 September 2012, 03:11:16 »
I had an old terminal WYSE keyboard and the MX Black switches on it didn't feel like the vintage switches to me. They felt like regular MX Blacks.
If you live in AZ you can try my keyboards. I usually keep plenty of different ALPS and MX and buckling springs.