Author Topic: Fixing my Ducky Shine 2  (Read 1832 times)

Offline CaMeMbIrD

Fixing my Ducky Shine 2
« on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 20:44:58 »
Hi everyone,

I joined this forum seeking some keyboard wisdom. I have a Ducky Shine 2 from 2012 that I really really really like. Unfortunely it's stopped working recently. It wasn't just one or two keys or a row or column but everything has stopped working. When I plug it in no keys work, but the num lock, scroll lock, and caps LEDs stay partially lit/flicker. I can't control any of the keys LEDS either.

This makes me think one of the microcontrollers are broken. As opposed to a damaged column or row. The larger (main) microcontroller below the molex connector looks to be in good condition. I will update the thread with the code written on the chip later.  The smaller microcontroller next to the "QC" sticker looks a bit corroded on the contacts. I will post the code shortly.
Overall the bottom edge of the board has some corrosion, which can be seen in the photos. Most of the passive components with corrosion on their joints seem to work still.
I have soldering and electronics skills to fix this. All the switches work still. I have contacted Ducky asking for help but they are useless! Won't even send me schematics for this keyboard as if they delete all their old IP... And their current techniains don't know how to fix these older model keyboards... *face_palm*

What advice do people have for fixing this? See photos below.
many thanks to anyone who wants to help :)

256053-0256055-1

Offline CaMeMbIrD

Re: Fixing my Ducky Shine 2
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 20:46:30 »
more photos

256057-0
256059-1
256061-2

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 21:30:08 »
A bit corroded?
Get that under some magnification, it's deceptively bad.

Clean all that off with some rubbing alcohol, and then see what remains of the leads, I won't be surprised if multiple parts are more corrosion than part, that whole area is a disaster zone. It may be salvageable but it may require replacing quite a few components as well as traces. Clean it up, do an eval, then decide how far down the rabbit hole you want to go.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline wiresquad

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 28 November 2020, 15:17:25 »
Looks like the board was shorted - A few resistors are clearly blown. R52, R51, R50 along with a lot of corrosion.

It's probably fixable but would require re-soldering.