Author Topic: MassDrop Sentraq 60% DIY Keyboard Kit  (Read 27716 times)

Offline Pdub

MassDrop Sentraq 60% DIY Keyboard Kit
« on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 08:21:22 »
Ordered two!  ;D

Hope someone else might like this as well!  :llama:

MassDrop Sentraq 60% DIY Keyboard Kit

Mod edit: removed referral link
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 January 2016, 21:26:21 by user 18 »

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.

Offline Pdub

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: MassDrop sentraq 60% DIY Keyboard Kkit
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 08:30:25 »
The base kit comes with a choice of Gateron switches, a choice of universal 60% plate, plate-mounted Cherry stabilizers, a universal PCB, and a case. There's also an option to add on a set of black-on-dark-gray dye-sub PBT keycaps (+$20). For those with their own switches or cases, those can also be removed at checkout.

Wonder how those are supposed to work with the universal plate, which has no mounting points for stabilizers?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
Re: MassDrop Sentraq 60% DIY Keyboard Kit
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 08:32:47 »
The base kit comes with a choice of Gateron switches, a choice of universal 60% plate, plate-mounted Cherry stabilizers, a universal PCB, and a case. There's also an option to add on a set of black-on-dark-gray dye-sub PBT keycaps (+$20). For those with their own switches or cases, those can also be removed at checkout.

Wonder how those are supposed to work with the universal plate, which has no mounting points for stabilizers?

Must be a typo, it says PCB-mount every where else on the page
I love Elzy

Offline Pdub

Re: MassDrop sentraq 60% DIY Keyboard Kkit
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 08:36:56 »

Hmmm
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 January 2016, 08:39:52 by Pdub »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 08:41:27 »

Isn't this where the stabilizers go? or do you mean Enter and Shift?

I meant that those holes are just holes, with no mount points. Which require PCB-mount stabilizers. But as Sifo correctly pointed out, it must be a typo. Further down the page it says this:

Included

• Plastic case
  • Plate
  • PCB
  • Mini USB cable
  • Set of PCB-mounted Cherry stabilizers
  • 65 switches
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Crapiface

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 13:42:31 »
Somebody knows if the PCB supports LED backlight ?

Offline joey

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 13:42:54 »
Somebody knows if the PCB supports LED backlight ?
It doesn't.

Offline Pdub

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 13:42:56 »
I don't think it does. But still check.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 13:45:34 »
I really want to grab one. But I know I would butcher it with my $20 soldering iron.

I think it would be cool to buy pre soldered pcbs for a little higher fee for us newbs =(

Offline Pdub

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 13:46:22 »

I really want to grab one. But I know I would butcher it with my $20 soldering iron.

I think it would be cool to buy pre soldered pcbs for a little higher fee for us newbs =(
That is what I am working with. Should be fine.

Offline doodersbrother

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 15:10:54 »

It is presoldered! All you have to do is solder the switches

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 15:29:28 »

It is presoldered! All you have to do is solder the switches

even that I am scared of doing o.o

But I need to learn to do it sometime.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 15:48:38 »
why get this when you can get the parts for a GH60RevCN aka Satan GH60 aka GH60INO (In name only) for the same cost if you source the parts correctly and more features RIGHT NOW from taiwan on ebay or through others.

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 16:10:12 »
why get this when you can get the parts for a GH60RevCN aka Satan GH60 aka GH60INO (In name only) for the same cost if you source the parts correctly and more features RIGHT NOW from taiwan on ebay or through others.
Maybe because the PCB designer (a.k.a. me) can read your opinions and develop newer PCBs with better features? ;)

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 16:29:17 »
Maybe because the PCB designer (a.k.a. me) can read your opinions and develop newer PCBs with better features? ;)

I don't know how to reply properly to that other than just look at the Nerd60, thats how a 60% board should be in almost every way, and the Satan GH60 which has the LEDs facing the right direction for back-lighting. i own both.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 16:42:07 »
and before i look like the bad guy (probably too late), let me explain what you got right, the layout options are correct and TMK firmware is great, so if you don't need any sort of lighting and TMK is OK, this board is absolutely fine it would seem without owning the board myself.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 16:58:27 »

You should be proud of your design! Also, I don't think people knew before today that VinnyCordeiro = Sentraq. :)

in memoriam

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 18:19:54 »
You should be proud of your design! Also, I don't think people knew before today that VinnyCordeiro = Sentraq. :)
I am not. I'm just the PCB designer, doodersbrother is the one who runs the show.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 18:29:20 »
Wish I could buy pcb only love the 1.75 +1 spliting
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline joey

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 18:34:09 »

I don't know how to reply properly to that other than just look at the Nerd60, thats how a 60% board should be in almost every way, and the Satan GH60 which has the LEDs facing the right direction for back-lighting. i own both.
What do you like about the Nerd60 in particular?

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 18:35:09 »
EDIT: content deleted.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 18:36:09 »
I am not. I'm just the PCB designer, doodersbrother is the one who runs the show.
Ah, okay gotcha. LeandreN had told me that, but I forgot who all the players were.

in memoriam

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 18:40:48 »
My problem with LED lighting is that it is pretty hard to do without frying your USB port and having a nice lighting level.

I do have an idea to solve this, thanks to Ben Heck's Phantom Keyboard video last week, but I have to test it before commiting to the PCB design. Unfortunately, USD to BRL exchange rate skyrocketed in the past year, it is too expensive for me to prototype things now. :(

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 19:40:19 »
Will this come with 7x space bar stabilizers?

Offline neverused

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 19:51:16 »
My problem with LED lighting is that it is pretty hard to do without frying your USB port and having a nice lighting level.

I do have an idea to solve this, thanks to Ben Heck's Phantom Keyboard video last week, but I have to test it before commiting to the PCB design. Unfortunately, USD to BRL exchange rate skyrocketed in the past year, it is too expensive for me to prototype things now. :(
Yeah that was pretty creative, I have to try it myself.

Offline Pdub

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 20:40:32 »

dear god i hope so 

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 20:54:42 »

dear god i hope so

Me too o.o that's the only space bar I got for my cherry set

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 21:11:02 »

I ****ed up by dissing a community member's board, I don't want to derail this more, the backlight discussion is valid but I'm not going to start selling GON's stuff here, I've already made myself sick for acting like an ass.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 21:21:26 »
While most boards require you to desolder each individual switch to do something as simple as replacing a spring, the S60-X’s special cutout lets you easily remove switch tops. Replace stems, swap springs, lubricate switches, and more with ease.

What does Massdrop exactly mean by "special cutout", are they talking about the plate?
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 21:34:04 »
While most boards require you to desolder each individual switch to do something as simple as replacing a spring, the S60-X’s special cutout lets you easily remove switch tops. Replace stems, swap springs, lubricate switches, and more with ease.

What does Massdrop exactly mean by "special cutout", are they talking about the plate?
Yeah, I would assume that they are referring to the notched plate for switch top removal, a feature this plate does have. And thank goodness. I don't know how people deal without that. Like, why even bother?
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 21:36:30 »

I would assume so. Looking at the plate, it seems that the cutouts are wider than normal for a Cherry switch, which should theoretically leave enough space for a switch tool to open the switch without desoldering. I would recommend PCB mount switches though, as you lose a lot of stability from this type of plate (Massdrop doesn't seem to specify whether the included switches are PCB-mount or plate-mount).

E: Beat by inanis :(
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 21:38:39 »

I ****ed up by dissing a community member's board, I don't want to derail this more, the backlight discussion is valid but I'm not going to start selling GON's stuff here, I've already made myself sick for acting like an ass.

To be fair you didn't know and your opinion is valid. I am sure had you known that a geekhack member was actively helping with the board you would have had different thoughts. If that was just a plain Jain Unknown PCB I would agree with you.

Also can anyone confirm this comes with multiple style stabilizers?

i.e: spacebar
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 January 2016, 21:40:38 by Bromono »

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 08 January 2016, 21:44:56 »

Yeah, I would assume that they are referring to the notched plate for switch top removal, a feature this plate does have. And thank goodness. I don't know how people deal without that. Like, why even bother?

I would assume so. Looking at the plate, it seems that the cutouts are wider than normal for a Cherry switch, which should theoretically leave enough space for a switch tool to open the switch without desoldering. I would recommend PCB mount switches though, as you lose a lot of stability from this type of plate (Massdrop doesn't seem to specify whether the included switches are PCB-mount or plate-mount).

E: Beat by inanis :(

Thanks for the responses, in my opinion the ability to remove switch tops should be the standard. It seems that most customs do not support it for some reason, I know that my Jane and Orion v2 do not. :(

It just seemed a little weird to me that Massdrop did not specify that it was the plate and the picture seemed to give extra room to support it but at the same time it looked different than the plates that I'm use to seeing that provide switch top removal. Best of luck Vinny! :thumb:
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline f1xedgear

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 08:54:37 »
Since nobody has mentioned this yet, livingspeedbump has a kit already and will be doing a build log/AMA over here.

Offline doodersbrother

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 08:52:03 »
We have dropped the MOQ in order to get these out there. It is at the minimum price of $99.99 + Shipping  ;D