Author Topic: Let's talk about comics  (Read 12804 times)

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
Re: Let's talk about comics
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 11:00:51 »
So you are reading them first to make sure the content is suitable for them. Good mom!
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 11:11:46 »
My son went to the comic book store with a friend of his and came back with a Mass Effect one as well as another one I can't remember.  The one I can't remember turned out to be okay but I wanted to peak a little more at the ME one and sure enough, there was five or six curse words within the first couple pages so my 8 year old will have to wait to read that one.

I have taken him a couple times to look at comics and he didn't seem that interested in them, but maybe having a friend who likes them will get him more interested.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 11:27:35 »
I just tried the digital comics thing on my dad's kindle fire. My eyes suck. I can't read them for ****. Plus it just doesn't have that feel and look of glossy paper that became more widely used in my youth.

Then I went to the comic book store and all they had was 9208340982 different Harley Quinn comics.
Harley Quinn is in a lot of books right now. I think it has to do with suicide squad coming out. They are decent reads though, I just don't pick them up because my list is full enough as is.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 11:49:44 »
I just tried the digital comics thing on my dad's kindle fire. My eyes suck. I can't read them for ****. Plus it just doesn't have that feel and look of glossy paper that became more widely used in my youth.

Then I went to the comic book store and all they had was 9208340982 different Harley Quinn comics.
Harley Quinn is in a lot of books right now. I think it has to do with suicide squad coming out. They are decent reads though, I just don't pick them up because my list is full enough as is.

I opened up a couple of them. Half of it is her getting her clothes mostly ripped off. I dunno if the animated Batman series anticipated her as this sex symbol. Suicide Squad better be great.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 11:51:20 »

I opened up a couple of them. Half of it is her getting her clothes mostly ripped off. I dunno if the animated Batman series anticipated her as this sex symbol. Suicide Squad better be great.
Yep pretty much. The writing isnt bad though. N

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 12:55:56 »

She was definitely played as a sex kitten from the beginning, though appropriately muted for an essentially PG-rated kids' show.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 16:21:22 »

She was definitely played as a sex kitten from the beginning, though appropriately muted for an essentially PG-rated kids' show.

There have been a lot of iterations of that character- she's been notoriously sexualized in her later incarnations.

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/articles/the-evolution-of-harley-quinn/1100-152821/
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/14/a-visual-history-of-harley-quinn

Offline crovax3000

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 21:12:58 »
I just finished Nameless by Grant Morrison. I have no idea what the hell just happened. In keeping with the space theme, I think I'll start reading Trees next.

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 00:45:17 »
I could for some reason never get into American comics.  Growing up, I had a fondness for Uncle Scrooge, not Superman.

More recently, I bought a few of the big volumes of The Darkness and got turned off in the middle when it had a note indicating "this subplot continues in *some other series*."  I keep trying to convince myself to try Deadpool, but I'm not even sure where to break into a lot of these long-running series-- there's either no clear "This is No. 1 of this storyline" or there is and it costs as much as a G80-5000 because it's collectible.

Right now, I do follow three manga series-- One Piece, Dance In the Vampire Bund, and Monster Musume.  Make of that what you will.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 20:22:39 »
Just started Red Son. I really like Lex Luthor in this.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 29 September 2016, 04:52:27 »
Its been awhile. Anyone reading civil war? I gave up on most marvel, I still read the street level books but nothing more. Marvel has been doing a bad job since the "reboot". DC, on the hand, has been killing it imo with rebirth. There are some **** books, but way more good books than bad.

Offline Grona

« Reply #61 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 13:25:03 »
Before I had to cancel my pull list while I was finishing up college I was reading:
East of West
Saga
Fables
C.O.W.L
Nailbiter

Offline Dr_Alphabet

« Reply #62 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 13:47:29 »
Its been awhile. Anyone reading civil war? I gave up on most marvel, I still read the street level books but nothing more. Marvel has been doing a bad job since the "reboot". DC, on the hand, has been killing it imo with rebirth. There are some **** books, but way more good books than bad.

I guess this thread was revived so feel free to delete the comic thread I started. I saw this one before I created it but assumed it was dead as it hadn't been updated in months. In fact, I was going to contribute to this thread originally but got a flag suggesting I start a new one.

Anyway, yea Rebirth is dope. I was never into the main stories of DC or Marvel really until Rebirth which got me so into it, that I decided to go back and read all the events leading up to it. But the completionist in me couldn't just stop there so I decided I needed to know all the events that lead up to those events and so on until I was all the way back at flashpoint.... I actually just finished flashpoint and am now reading through some of the events that lead up to Convergence which most people say to just skip, but I'm not. It seems like a cool story to me. Flashpoint was a bit tedious for me tbh, but understanding some of the character changes that happened was really my only goal.
Look at me. Look at me. Look what I can do. I'm amazing - Peter Gabriel

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 13:59:54 »
Only tangential, but anyone watching Luke Cage?

Offline Dr_Alphabet

« Reply #64 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 14:04:00 »

just finished it last night. I love the blaxploitation vibe it has going on. I didn't enjoy it as much as Jessica Jones, but it was certainly a good watch. Jessica Jones had the single greatest villain in television history imo. 

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 16:50:27 »
Before I had to cancel my pull list while I was finishing up college I was reading:
East of West
Saga
Fables
C.O.W.L
Nailbiter
Im reading East of West still.  It is still one of my favorite books.

I guess this thread was revived so feel free to delete the comic thread I started. I saw this one before I created it but assumed it was dead as it hadn't been updated in months. In fact, I was going to contribute to this thread originally but got a flag suggesting I start a new one.

Anyway, yea Rebirth is dope. I was never into the main stories of DC or Marvel really until Rebirth which got me so into it, that I decided to go back and read all the events leading up to it. But the completionist in me couldn't just stop there so I decided I needed to know all the events that lead up to those events and so on until I was all the way back at flashpoint.... I actually just finished flashpoint and am now reading through some of the events that lead up to Convergence which most people say to just skip, but I'm not. It seems like a cool story to me. Flashpoint was a bit tedious for me tbh, but understanding some of the character changes that happened was really my only goal.
I didnt know you had made a new thread, sorry about that.

There are still plenty of DC events that I have missed.  I would like to start collecting Absolute editions sometime soon to catch up on some of the older stories I missed.  I read a lot of books when the new 52 happened, but am enjoying rebirth so much more.  There are about 4 or 5 books im not reading, but the ones I am are way better than their new 52 counterparts.  I am looking forward to see where things go.

I do hate the double shipping though.  Nightwing feels like its a weekly book these days.

Offline Dr_Alphabet

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 16:53:18 »
East of West
Saga
Fables
C.O.W.L
Nailbiter
Im reading East of West still.  It is still one of my favorite books.

I didnt know you had made a new thread, sorry about that.

There are still plenty of DC events that I have missed.  I would like to start collecting Absolute editions sometime soon to catch up on some of the older stories I missed.  I read a lot of books when the new 52 happened, but am enjoying rebirth so much more.  There are about 4 or 5 books im not reading, but the ones I am are way better than their new 52 counterparts.  I am looking forward to see where things go.

I do hate the double shipping though.  Nightwing feels like its a weekly book these days.

All I care about is that there is an active comics thread, really don't care who the creator is  :thumb:

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 16:58:19 »
Yeah i'll try and post each week.  I am behind about three weeks right now though  :'( 

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #68 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 18:48:07 »

just finished it last night. I love the blaxploitation vibe it has going on. I didn't enjoy it as much as Jessica Jones, but it was certainly a good watch. Jessica Jones had the single greatest villain in television history imo.
I actually like it better than Jessica Jones,  though I have to admit it stumbled in the middle on the transition from  the front half to the back half,  but finished pretty strong. It's a different type of story,  so I think people are going to have wildly different opinions.   I like the face that the city is a character,  and they pay attention to the immersion qualities,  though the writing in Jessica Jones was admittedly better.

My ordering:

Luke Cage
Punisher S0 (dd take out the hand)
Jessica Jones
DD s1
DD s2