Author Topic: Lost an entire computer  (Read 5750 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Lost an entire computer
« on: Fri, 14 October 2016, 14:34:24 »
How ?

Tp4 haz too many computers..

It's just gone..  Where is it ??...  .. //pulling hairs out..   

Offline fanpeople

Re: Lost an entire computer
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 14 October 2016, 14:42:01 »
How ?

Tp4 haz too many computers..

It's just gone..  Where is it ??...  .. //pulling hairs out..   

Show Image

Cant be important, just make a cup of ramen, put your cheezenips on and surf gh using the dox.

It you love something, set it free, if it comes back to you.... bla bla bla

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 14 October 2016, 14:56:27 »
Whatever happened to the basement servers that took down the neighborhood power grid?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 14 October 2016, 20:37:07 »
Whatever happened to the basement servers that took down the neighborhood power grid?

They're still doing their thing..  Only one is on full time.. pretty expensive to keep them on..

The computer I lost is my opteron 185  nforce4 system... sigh...........

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 14 October 2016, 20:47:58 »
I don't understand why a single person would need more than one desktop, one portable computer, and perhaps a work terminal as well. Just make your one desktop really freakin' nice.

Unless you're doing some shady-ass **** on a never-networked device....

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 14 October 2016, 21:29:28 »
Found it..  phew...

It were under some boxes of old cobol books

Only have a spare gtx670 ,  guess it'll have to do.. 450watt psu should handle it without any harddrives

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 15 October 2016, 02:35:09 »

Just joking around. Glad you found whatever it was. GTX something. Some kind of Nvidia product I guess? idk

Offline Wannabe

• Independent Adjudicator
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 15 October 2016, 10:38:35 »
I liek keyboards

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 17 October 2016, 20:53:21 »
Um I have (at least) 4 operational desktop computers, 3 operational servers, 2 non-operational servers (well, operational, but decommissioned), and 2 non-operational desktops.

I occasionally find one where I forgot I'd moved it to when cleaning up the last time.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 14:58:29 »
Found it..  phew...

Only have a spare gtx670 ,  guess it'll have to do.. 450watt psu should handle it without any harddrives

How many pc's do you have tp?  :eek:
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 19:03:55 »
Found it..  phew...

I was under the impression that I was among like individuals..

Does not every geekhacker haz a minimum of 30 computers.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 19:17:55 »
Found it..  phew...

I had, but cleaned out my apartment. Now it's only Macbook Pro 2010 (soon hackintosh addition), MacBook Air 13", PS4, iPad 3 (if you consider that a computer). Oh and my raid 6 i5 16gb server.

I KNOW I DISAPPOINT. Please don't hit me (too hard) tp..

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 18 October 2016, 19:45:24 »
Found it..  phew...

I do tp4, dont feel alone!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 19 October 2016, 14:12:39 »
Found it..  phew...

I used to have about double that, but I seriously downsized last time I moved house.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 19 October 2016, 14:56:28 »
Found it..  phew...

I used to have about double that, but I seriously downsized last time I moved house.

I had a closet full of computers at one point. Just not enough desk/floor space for all of them. 30 is a whole bunch of computers, though. Come to think of it I probably had a Model M in that closet :'( The pain..

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 19 October 2016, 20:45:22 »
Found it..  phew...

I had a closet full of computers at one point. Just not enough desk/floor space for all of them. 30 is a whole bunch of computers, though. Come to think of it I probably had a Model M in that closet :'( The pain..

Oops I forgot 5 servers in the one of the racks in the garage.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 20 October 2016, 14:45:09 »
Found it..  phew...

What do you DO with all that hardware?? Do you have a use for it or just for spares / funz?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 20 October 2016, 15:56:28 »

What do you DO with all that hardware?? Do you have a use for it or just for spares / funz?

They are the closest thing Tp4 haz to friends...   

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 20 October 2016, 18:58:08 »

Show Image

Yeah... I kinda know what you mean. I do have a GF though, but what's the point? When I tell her I went for 3000 instead of 3400 MHz RAM coz the 6700K may not take 1.32-1.33 V stable and that I have to do an ADA 64 for at least 2-4 hours to see if the system is stable at 4.7 GHz, the only response I'm getting is "ok hun, whatever you say". Basically, for tech stuff, GH is my social life. I have *zero* geeks (real nerds, not hipsters) in real life. They are either extinct around me in my neighborhood or I don't know what.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 20 October 2016, 20:52:01 »
Found it..  phew...

Some of it was opportunistic purchases - I always wanted a Cobalt Raq, now I have three of them.  Work bought me an old IBM XServer, and I got a second one for parts, but haven't needed any parts, so I have 2 working servers now.  That's what's in the main rack.  The other rack just has a switch or two in it.

I used to have a small cluster of servers, but I downsized to just 1, which ended up saving quite a bit of electricity.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 21 October 2016, 04:05:32 »

Show Image

Yeah... I kinda know what you mean. I do have a GF though, but what's the point? When I tell her I went for 3000 instead of 3400 MHz RAM coz the 6700K may not take 1.32-1.33 V stable and that I have to do an ADA 64 for at least 2-4 hours to see if the system is stable at 4.7 GHz, the only response I'm getting is "ok hun, whatever you say". Basically, for tech stuff, GH is my social life. I have *zero* geeks (real nerds, not hipsters) in real life. They are either extinct around me in my neighborhood or I don't know what.

/ So jelly. ..

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 04:21:07 »
Reminds me of this classic post from bash.org
First thing I thought as well when I read the title.
Same here man. There are 0 nerds near me.
My best mate is a pretty big nerd but it's 100% video games, no tech, no gadgets & no hardware. So I go on GH as well to 'hang out' with my fellow nerds. :D

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 06:10:18 »
My best mate is a pretty big nerd but it's 100% video games, no tech, no gadgets & no hardware. So I go on GH as well to 'hang out' with my fellow nerds. :D

Mhm, my nerdiest friend likes console games and Star Wars but that is about it.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 17:28:15 »

GH is best!

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 17:29:40 »

Mhm, my nerdiest friend likes console games and Star Wars but that is about it.

Although I respect gamers, I come across a lot of gamers who believe all the razor hype and the lot and don't understand tech a bit. It can be very frustrating. Not saying that all gamers are like this, but many of my "gamer friends" are like this.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 17:44:54 »
Although I respect gamers, I come across a lot of gamers who believe all the razor hype and the lot and don't understand tech a bit. It can be very frustrating. Not saying that all gamers are like this, but many of my "gamer friends" are like this.

Most of my friends that were hardcore gamers when I was at school no longer play games. The ones that do are very cost aware and would not spend anything more than what is necessary on a keyboard/mouse.

One of my friends bought a razor headset and was telling me how good it was so I started feeding him **** about being a razor fanboi (we would pretty much rip on each other for anything and everything). You know what he did, turned around and fed me right back for spending hundreds of dollars on a 27 year old IBM keyboard.

Everything is a matter of perspective, I mean the headset was probably good and he was happy with it. If people are happy with their Razor stuff so be it.

Doesn't mean we cant rip on it, but I would not take it personally if someone rates their Razor command station higher than your beige IBM keyboard that is as old as you, has this strange plug on the end and cost more than their lightshow.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 18:15:01 »

Most of my friends that were hardcore gamers when I was at school no longer play games. The ones that do are very cost aware and would not spend anything more than what is necessary on a keyboard/mouse.

One of my friends bought a razor headset and was telling me how good it was so I started feeding him **** about being a razor fanboi (we would pretty much rip on each other for anything and everything). You know what he did, turned around and fed me right back for spending hundreds of dollars on a 27 year old IBM keyboard.

Everything is a matter of perspective, I mean the headset was probably good and he was happy with it. If people are happy with their Razor stuff so be it.

Doesn't mean we cant rip on it, but I would not take it personally if someone rates their Razor command station higher than your beige IBM keyboard that is as old as you, has this strange plug on the end and cost more than their lightshow.

Good points made. Everybody has its one "focus" / addiction in tech and is willing to spend good money on it. Mine are keyboards/mice and DSLRs (bodies, lenses) etc. mostly. For instance, I just dropped some good money on a new camera bag from f-stop. It was around 400 dollars. Many people called me crazy. But it does exactly what I need it to do. I guess most of us are willing to pay large sums of money for over engineering, whatever the tech is.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 22:20:27 »

Good points made. Everybody has its one "focus" / addiction in tech and is willing to spend good money on it. Mine are keyboards/mice and DSLRs (bodies, lenses) etc. mostly. For instance, I just dropped some good money on a new camera bag from f-stop. It was around 400 dollars. Many people called me crazy. But it does exactly what I need it to do. I guess most of us are willing to pay large sums of money for over engineering, whatever the tech is.

No, razer can go die..

Razer = worst crap ever.. 

//////h8888888888888888888888888

Offline YoshiCaps

• yes, oh god no.
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 02 December 2016, 18:58:59 »

No, razer can go die..

Razer = worst crap ever.. 

//////h8888888888888888888888888

only thing i use from razer is kabuto mousepad
hi.