Author Topic: -Unusually warm winter ?  (Read 3228 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
-Unusually warm winter ?
« on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 09:22:01 »
What's wrong with the weather ?

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
Re: -Unusually warm winter ?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 09:58:48 »
We had tornados last night due to the sudden warmness and storm rolling through.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 10:47:06 »
It got to 5°C here today, don't think the frost cleared all weekend though and it snowed at least three times on Sunday (it was too wet to stick around and be fun :() so can't say I'd call it warm.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 11:20:02 »
It's 18c/64f here in GA, not complaining, other than the 2am 'nado siren wake-up call this morning.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 12:19:12 »
I has been cold in Knoxville, Tennessee, for most of the last couple of weeks but spiked up today.

We are seeing 66F/19C but in less than 72 hours we will be back down to 23F/-5C.

This season we have had at least a couple of snows that accumulated at least a couple of inches and lasted at least overnight, but nothing like it used to be in the 1950s-1960s when I was a kid.

But yes, of course, the world is getting warmer than ever faster than ever. If you are curious to see Miami, you had better plan to do it in the next few years.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 14:22:12 »
What is this mythical creature you speak of called snow, lol.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 14:27:00 »
Too bad you weren't in Cobb County about 10 years ago. We big snows 2 years in a row.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 16:31:17 »
10 years ago I was in Dunwoody area, lol.  I currently live up in Acworth -  I was in Atlanta for the Ice-poclypse where GA 400 looked like a scene from The Walking Dead, was on the hwy the next morning and it was just me in my 4Runner and National Guard Humvees (laughing at the officer in the Crown Vic losing traction).

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 17:44:01 »
Ice is melting at a crazy rate this year. Measurements are literally off the charts. Ocean's warming up.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 17:52:47 »

Measurements are literally off the charts.

It should get people's attention when they start talking about icebergs/glaciers in terms of sizes of states, but I guess deniers just deny, it's what they do.

Offline Dongulator

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 18:30:03 »
yes.. the world is getting generally warmer, also every year is different. The world is changing, the next 100 years are going to be interesting to say the least and after that it will probably be chaotic in terms of weather. I feel bad for our Children and our Children's Children..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 19:04:48 »
yes.. the world is getting generally warmer, also every year is different. The world is changing, the next 100 years are going to be interesting to say the least and after that it will probably be chaotic in terms of weather. I feel bad for our Children and our Children's Children..

wish it were children'children,    Climate change unabated will catalyze the apocalypse within 15 years.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 19:24:47 »

Measurements are literally off the charts.

It should get people's attention when they start talking about icebergs/glaciers in terms of sizes of states, but I guess deniers just deny, it's what they do.

I really do wonder what percentage is human-caused and what percentage is the natural progression of Earth shifting into another age. I'm sure human influence is speeding it up exponentially, but I also think Earth shifting back and fourth between cold/warm states is natural. I don't know enough about Ice Ages and how shifting polarity changes weather, but I know it is cyclical.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 19:29:57 »
I really do wonder what percentage is human-caused and what percentage is the natural progression of Earth shifting into another age. I'm sure human influence is speeding it up exponentially, but I also think Earth shifting back and fourth between cold/warm states is natural. I don't know enough about Ice Ages and how shifting polarity changes weather, but I know it is cyclical.

The only reason we "NOT" in an ice age now, is BECAUSE humans interfered with the natural cycle.

We cut down trees to graze animals and build cities for 10,000 years.  The removal of the trees is what thwarted the natural cooling (which would've resulted in another ice age). 

This is fortunate when it started,  but now we've gone down the OTHER end, and it's way too warm. and the entire biosphere is collapsing.

The extinction event is happening right now, we're in the middle of it.

https://climatehealers.org/the-science/animal-agriculture-position-paper/

Offline Dongulator

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 19:59:34 »

wish it were children'children,    Climate change unabated will catalyze the apocalypse within 15 years.

you could be right, but people have been making these predictions for a very long time. What makes you think it's 15 years, and what do you consider the "apocalypse"? like, is everyone going to die, or what? I know you can see the future, I just need more details.. please TP4 HALP!!!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 20:19:54 »

you could be right, but people have been making these predictions for a very long time. What makes you think it's 15 years, and what do you consider the "apocalypse"? like, is everyone going to die, or what? I know you can see the future, I just need more details.. please TP4 HALP!!!

The experts project alot of things.

From Tp4's perspective, rising sea lvls and unusual storms could decimate coastal reactors, the meltdowns causing wide spread contamination.   All of the world's reactor are near bodies of water.

It took 1 million workers to just barely wipe up after chernobyl.   

Jpn is also in its worst crunch yet due to incessant cost in its triple meltdown in fukushima,  massive increase in childhood cancers, heart degeneration, food contamination. The government has covered it up by rejecting patient treatment if their doctors writes down the cause as steming from radiation damage. Doctors who challenge the coverup has had their licenses suspended.

This is the greatest threat, because in cases where any 1 nation incurs multiple meltdown sites,  be it terrorism, weather,  mis-management,  covid.  No economy can take the nuclear blight.

We will have massive economic depression and potentially millions of displaced refugees.

This is the most plausible danger in the short term 10-15 years.

Crop failures could occur within 15-30, but it is less of an issue for the United States, but other less advanced/ accessible nations could starve, leading to political power vacuums, carpetbagging predatory states, etc.

Then there is the CME event (statistically overdue, Nasa), which will send the United states back into the stone age within 2-4 weeks.  We do not have the electrical infrastructure in place to prevent disaster. the CME will blow out our grid transformers.  Each one of these transformers take a minimum of 1-3 year to build at the BEST of times when everything works.

Offline Dongulator

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 20:27:46 »

The experts project alot of things.

From Tp4's perspective, rising sea lvls and unusual storms could decimate coastal reactors, the meltdowns causing wide spread contamination.   All of the world's reactor are near bodies of water.

It took 1 million workers to just barely wipe up after chernobyl.   

Jpn is also in its worst crunch yet due to incessant cost in its triple meltdown in fukushima,  massive increase in childhood cancers, heart degeneration, food contamination. The government has covered it up by rejecting patient treatment if their doctors writes down the cause as steming from radiation damage. Doctors who challenge the coverup has had their licenses suspended.

This is the greatest threat, because in cases where any 1 nation incurs multiple meltdown sites,  be it terrorism, weather,  mis-management,  covid.  No economy can take the nuclear blight.

We will have massive economic depression and potentially millions of displaced refugees.

This is the most plausible danger in the short term 10-15 years.

Crop failures could occur within 15-30, but it is less of an issue for the United States, but other less advanced/ accessible nations could starve, leading to political power vacuums, carpetbagging predatory states, etc.

Then there is the CME event (statistically overdue, Nasa), which will send the United states back into the stone age within 2-4 weeks.  We do not have the electrical infrastructure in place to prevent disaster. the CME will blow out our grid transformers.  Each one of these transformers take a minimum of 1-3 year to build at the BEST of times when everything works.

Well lets hope your predictions don't come true, none of that sounds like fun. Personally I think it's going to take a little more time then that, and expect worst case's to happen in 100 to 200 years.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 20:31:27 »
They had snow in Malibu, California and Scottsdale, Arizona. 20 inches up in Flaggstaff, Arizona.

Cold just took a vacation, enjoy it while it lasts
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 20:34:17 »
Well lets hope your predictions don't come true, none of that sounds like fun. Personally I think it's going to take a little more time then that, and expect worst case's to happen in 100 to 200 years.

We absolutely do not have that much time. Climate change has to be taken care of within 15 yrs or else it is in run-away.   Kind of like when the CPU exceeds the cooling capacity of your heatsink, in an instant the increase in heat will burn it out.   It could take you arbitrarily long to get to that point, but once you cross it,  It is IMPOSSIBLE to add additional cooling in time to save the CPU.       

You can think of humans this way, because we can't just tell people to STOP Living / Consuming.     We can only Strongly suggest that we must all live VERY DIFFERENTLY BEFORE  burning out.

The primary way is adopt a Whole Food Plant Based Diet.   This solves the majority of the climate change issue, as Animal Agriculture is responsible for 87% of net man made Green House Effect.

Methane/ Co2/ Co2 sequestration/ Deforestation/ Fossil Fuel use. 

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 20:36:58 »

The only reason we "NOT" in an ice age now

I really do wonder what percentage is human-caused

It is all human-caused. The evidence is overwhelming. Only a Q-anon-level moron would deny it. Even the oil companies knew all about it decades ago.

https://www.greenpeace.org/usa/global-warming/exxon-and-the-oil-industry-knew-about-climate-change/exxons-climate-denial-history-a-timeline/

In the natural cycle it would be about time for another ice age about now.

Offline Dongulator

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 20:43:15 »

We absolutely do not have that much time. Climate change has to be taken care of within 15 yrs or else it is in run-away.   Kind of like when the CPU exceeds the cooling capacity of your heatsink, in an instant the increase in heat will burn it out.   It could take you arbitrarily long to get to that point, but once you cross it,  It is IMPOSSIBLE to add additional cooling in time to save the CPU.       

You can think of humans this way, because we can't just tell people to STOP Living / Consuming.     We can only Strongly suggest that we must all live VERY DIFFERENTLY BEFORE  burning out.

The primary way is adopt a Whole Food Plant Based Diet.   This solves the majority of the climate change issue, as Animal Agriculture is responsible for 87% of net man made Green House Effect.

Methane/ Co2/ Co2 sequestration/ Deforestation/ Fossil Fuel use. 

So what I'm seeing is that we have to go to near 0 in 15ish years. Then after that 15yr mark (2035), the climate will start to decline to a point where the earth will become inhabitable. Is any of that wrong in your eyes or am I reading it wrong?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 20:44:16 »

The only reason we "NOT" in an ice age now

I really do wonder what percentage is human-caused

It is all human-caused. The evidence is overwhelming. Only a Q-anon-level moron would deny it. Even the oil companies knew all about it decades ago.

https://www.greenpeace.org/usa/global-warming/exxon-and-the-oil-industry-knew-about-climate-change/exxons-climate-denial-history-a-timeline/

In the natural cycle it would be about time for another ice age about now.

It's also important to remember that fossil fuel use is a RECENT event.  It is a major contributor of course. 

However, the primary contributor to climate change is DEFORESTATION.   The primary driver of Deforestation is Animal-Agriculture,  90% of the deforestation in the Amazon is done to graze Cattle.

We've only been burning fuel for ~200 years,   We've been cutting down trees for 10,000.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 21:17:26 »
To partially derail the off-topic topic for a moment, I come from the generation that was astonished and appalled about pollution.

Not that it has gone away, or that the two are not Siamese twins born from the same evil, but, as a topic, "pollution" has been dramatically pushed into the back seat in recent years - as if there is only room in the headlines for one major conversation.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 21:54:23 »
To partially derail the off-topic topic for a moment, I come from the generation that was astonished and appalled about pollution.

Not that it has gone away, or that the two are not Siamese twins born from the same evil, but, as a topic, "pollution" has been dramatically pushed into the back seat in recent years - as if there is only room in the headlines for one major conversation.

The most dangerous, most invisible, tasteless, odorless pollution is Radiation.  It knows no borders, it bio accumulates in the ocean, Fukushima even TODAY, continues to unleash irradiated water into the pacific.  The cores are in direct contact with ground water.

They capture as much as they can, but a large quantity still leaks through. 300Tons per day of this water is getting out.

https://player.vimeo.com/video/133683521

Offline mustardgreens

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 27 January 2021, 18:57:58 »
This has been the warmest winter I can remember. Toronto got some snow around Nov 25, Dec 25, and Jan 25. That's pretty much been it. 3 snows and a lot of rain, which is sad to see. Never had rainy Januaries growing up in the '90s.

Offline funkmon

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 28 January 2021, 21:48:59 »
This happens a lot of winters, though in Michigan it's been fairly normal. I remember I think it was the winter of 09 we didn't get snow until February.

Offline peterlewis

• EduHelpHub
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 29 January 2021, 09:57:27 »
The climate change is real my friends. And it doesn't matter how much we tell ourselves that it is far away in the future, but it is not. We can literally feel the difference in the environment around us. :(

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 29 January 2021, 22:08:43 »
We had tornados last night due to the sudden warmness and storm rolling through.

Damn you good?

Offline alphanoob

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 11 February 2021, 11:55:25 »
I live in the desert so I am probably biased :)

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 11 February 2021, 13:39:17 »
last I checked it can get pretty cold in the evenings/nights in the desert. .

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 11 February 2021, 16:37:48 »
It's barely got above freezing here this week and my phone weather thing has said there will be lots* of snow tomorrow or Saturday. 

*Don't think it's a UK based weather company so maybe that atually means a lot rather than the usual three-inch end of life as we know it 'lots'.  It's not wet so I'm hopeful!
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 11 February 2021, 19:56:49 »
I can't be mad, the weather yesterday was amazing - sun was out and high was around 71f/22c and of course it will be dropping back again after this rain we just had today.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 11 February 2021, 21:14:44 »
the snow around here lately looks like seaweed and smells like spaghetti sauce

Offline funkmon

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 21:50:41 »
Okay first of all, you might have had a stroke. Secondly this is one of the coldest weeks on record here in Michigan so that shows what we know.