Author Topic: What did you do today?  (Read 1418772 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: What did you do today?
« Reply #8950 on: Tue, 19 July 2022, 06:23:21 »
It occurred to me this morning that yesterday, I had posted both positive and negative posts about a tech at different forums. Both are technically accurate (AFAIK), but I'm apparently not consistent in my opinions.

Digital pianos are a ripoff

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8951 on: Tue, 19 July 2022, 08:05:08 »

posted both positive and negative posts about a tech

So what is it actually - 100% good or 100% bad?
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8952 on: Tue, 19 July 2022, 08:08:29 »

posted both positive and negative posts about a tech

So what is it actually - 100% good or 100% bad?

Piano industry is 100% bad.

Offline yui

« Reply #8953 on: Fri, 12 August 2022, 04:43:15 »
fixed a megadrive2 (genesis 2 for the us) with a broken power port, and a lot of petting and other pet related activities :)
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #8954 on: Fri, 12 August 2022, 14:52:40 »
Tried alcohol-free Guinness beer. Won't do that again ...

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #8955 on: Fri, 12 August 2022, 16:38:35 »
After saving money for over a year I went to a surgery consultation, only to basically be told I was still to poor, did not save enough, and don't qualify for financing.
Yet another dream denied after doing everything I could to make it happen.

I am such an unlucky piece of **** loser. Guess that's how it will always be. The more I try the more I fail, for 10 years, one failure after another.

Offline iri

« Reply #8957 on: Fri, 12 August 2022, 17:18:58 »
After saving money for over a year I went to a surgery consultation, only to basically be told I was still to poor, did not save enough, and don't qualify for financing.

I am such an unlucky piece of **** loser. Guess that's how it will always be. The more I try the more I fail, for 10 years, one failure after another.
It's not your fault that you were born in one of the 15 countries in the world that doesn't have a normal healthcare system.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #8958 on: Fri, 12 August 2022, 17:34:39 »

It's not your fault that you were born in one of the 15 countries in the world that doesn't have a normal healthcare system.

Seriously, the free healthcare in the US is literally worse in many cases than not having any insurance at all. It is so messed up over her.
Now many entry level jobs do not offer healthcare either, and specifically offer workers one hour under the full-time weekly requirement in hours just to avoid shelling out for insurance.

Offline atarione

« Reply #8959 on: Fri, 12 August 2022, 20:47:30 »
Mostly wished it was`t so freaking hot.. but also played with my birthday presents (some of them at least)

Got new Deity Highside 50 rise 35mm (diameter) handlebars for my emtb : Giant Trance E+ Pro 1     also new Deity supracush grips (love these grips ..had old pair that needed replacing so got a new pair as a gift along with handlebars.)...  also got new brake rotors and Smith riding sunglasses as gifts.. so that is nice
290222-0

And then shortly after getting home my birthday gift (from myself basically) arrived from Japan,  This ARCHISS Quattro TKL with Trackpoint.. keyboard (mx-browns).
290224-1

messed around with it some, and figured out how to get it working properly (enable JIS format on Windows 11)... so far I like the keyboard, the layout is going to take a bit of adjustment?

Now waiting for my friends to come over for my delayed till the weekend birthday party...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8960 on: Fri, 12 August 2022, 23:09:19 »
Nice keeb atrione, make sure to scan for hot particles.

Tp4 recommends, IMI Inspector Alert V2 Geiger Counter .

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #8961 on: Wed, 07 September 2022, 22:28:56 »
Today I learned about myself that apparently I'm demisexual. Unless I've got an emotional connection to the other person, no matter hot absurdly hot and out of my league, if I don't dig them as a person there's no point to anything. This would explain how things have been lately, and all these doubts in my mind. Since I don't generally put myself out there, I'm not forming those emotional connections with other people. It's not that I'm broken, I haven't felt any attraction because I've not made any attempts to know anyone better on a personal and emotional level. I'm gonna start working on that more. Honestly the hottest thing is listening to someone go on and on about their hobby or passion and seeing how excited they get talking to someone about it. Sex is just whatever, it's not even an that enjoyable an activity to me if it's just ****ing. I'm not built for modern society.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8962 on: Thu, 08 September 2022, 07:47:56 »

no matter how absurdly hot

I would say that "absurdly hot" is a visual and/or manufactured trait that is essentially fantasy. Looking at that movie star up on the screen allows you to build an imaginary scenario inside of your head where you and they are in a "relationship" and what the 2 of you might do together.

When it comes to you and someone else, both warm living breathing creatures, actually being inside of each other's personal spaces, the fantasies are dispelled and reality sets in. In my life I have lusted visually after thousands of women, but I have only been intimate with ones that I cared about.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #8963 on: Fri, 09 September 2022, 00:08:20 »

no matter how absurdly hot

I would say that "absurdly hot" is a visual and/or manufactured trait that is essentially fantasy. Looking at that movie star up on the screen allows you to build an imaginary scenario inside of your head where you and they are in a "relationship" and what the 2 of you might do together.

When it comes to you and someone else, both warm living breathing creatures, actually being inside of each other's personal spaces, the fantasies are dispelled and reality sets in. In my life I have lusted visually after thousands of women, but I have only been intimate with ones that I cared about.

Yeah, I'd never casually hooked up with anyone before, I learned a lot about myself and what quantifies attraction to me personally. She was SO MUCH hotter than I am, and that's what really told me that looks and horniness are not fulfilling enough for me. Wish I'd realized that 10 years ago, perhaps by now I'd be happy in a long-term thing.
Better late than never discovering your inner workings. Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

Offline yui

« Reply #8964 on: Mon, 12 September 2022, 13:53:31 »
Unless I've got an emotional connection to the other person, no matter hot absurdly hot and out of my league, if I don't dig them as a person there's no point to anything.
so today i have learnt that i am not alone in that :) good to know there is a word for it too i guess.
i also yesterday(ik ik not today) found at least one thing wrong with my old Atari ST, there is a hole in its 68901 peripheral io chip, as long as there is no atari custom chip dead it should be a cheap repair.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #8965 on: Fri, 30 September 2022, 07:57:41 »
Uhhhh I uhhh ummm uhhhhmmm errrrm uhhhh...

Nothing. I'm sick :(
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline Pretendo

« Reply #8966 on: Sun, 16 October 2022, 15:50:28 »
I:
- Went shopping
- Cleaned house
- Called some family members
- Journaled a bit
- Planned out a bit of my father's upcoming visit for the Chicago Pinball Expo.

Pretty mundane weekend for the most part.
IBM Model F-122 6110347 -- September 13th, 1984
IBM Model M 1391404 -- April 14th, 1988
Rosewill RK-9000

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #8967 on: Tue, 25 October 2022, 22:57:45 »
Cocktail experimentation to create a delicious cocktail from this horrible rare booze I got called Batavia Arrack. It tastes absolutely awful, but I created something that actually compliments the flavors very well. Better than any recipe I've seen for using this liquor.

::Mint Turtle Arrack::
1oz Arrack
3/4 Light Rum
1/2 oz lemon juice
1/2 oz Pineapple juice
1/2 oz simple syrup
Dash ang. bitters
shake with ice
strain into glass with ice and muddled mint
fill to top with Ginger Beer

Super refreshing  :thumb:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8968 on: Wed, 26 October 2022, 11:29:19 »
so exotic,  tp4's solution to all liquors, put it in sprite.

Offline Pretendo

« Reply #8969 on: Thu, 27 October 2022, 21:19:43 »
- Found adding machine.
- Fixed adding machine.

It was $2 at the local thrift shop. Being a sucker for old mechanical junk, I had to have it.  At two bucks, even if it just provided a single afternoon's entertainment it was worth the investment.

For reference, it's a Sears Model 158.58010 manual adder. It's capable of adding and subtracting numbers with two decimal places of precision in a range between 0 and 9,999,999.99. Going under 0 will cause an underflow. It can also hold your current number with the 'R' key for repeating values (the '66 Sears catalog advertises this as "multiplication" which... sort of, technically), clear numbers currently in the variable register with the 'C' key, print subtotal lines with the 'S' key (prints out the current total with an 'S' next to it, retains total amount in the result register) and grand total lines with the 'T' key (prints the total with a 'T' next to it, clears the result register.)

The only documentation I could find on it were the advertisements in the 1965 and 1966 Sears catalogs:

It was the more expensive of two models at $69.65 in 1965 (about $660 adjusted).  The price was slightly dropped to $66.88 in '66. The cheaper model omitted subtraction and only operated up to 999,999.99.  The catalog number was 3 A 5801N.

Mine arrived to me with a damaged paper bail, a non-functioning paper advance, and a non-functioning ribbon advance. I fixed the ribbon advance by taking it apart, cleaning it with gun cleaner, and applying gun oil for lubrication (this is my go-to for anything mechanically complex like typewriters and adders; it seems to work well enough now that "typewriter oil" is no longer a thing.) I fixed the paper advance by applying a very thin layer of silicone gasket maker to the rubber rollers and allowing it to dry.  For good measure, I cleaned and re-lubricated the rest of the machine as well. There's nothing to be done about the paper bail, so it remains damaged.  It also appears to have originally come with a top case, which mine is missing.

To its credit nothing inside has rusted, and it all appeared to be in remarkably good shape. After a few operations, everything except the issues listed above worked great.  It seems to have been a very well built machine.  Everything inside is solid metal.

And of course, like everything of the era it has double shot keys:

It also appears to be a near internet virgin. Aside from that catalog page, it looks like this adder has only ever been mentioned one other time on the web. One was potentially listed on shopgoodwill a year ago, but the pictures don't work anymore so I can't verify that. Otherwise it seems to be a pretty rare model. It would've been the very tail end of manual adding machines for sure. They were no longer being advertised by 1967.

I wanted to quickly write it up here so there's some record of it that comes up if anyone ever googles one again.

But yeah, that's what I did today.

Edit: Fixed one detail. I assumed the adder was capable of negative numbers, but it's not.
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 October 2022, 08:04:03 by Pretendo »
Rosewill RK-9000

Offline Pretendo

« Reply #8971 on: Thu, 27 October 2022, 21:58:48 »
Tax Accuracy +25

Actually... -500 from even a modern smart phone. But mechanical linkages +6000!
Rosewill RK-9000

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8972 on: Fri, 28 October 2022, 08:03:24 »
Tax Accuracy +25

Actually... -500 from even a modern smart phone. But mechanical linkages +6000!

you need those magnifier goggles and a pen protector to complete the kit.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #8973 on: Sat, 05 November 2022, 05:13:14 »
I've always hated Campari, but I learned today I LOVE Aperol. It pairs so well with so many things without being overly bitter like Campari is. Pair Aperol with a cocktail utilizing grapefruit juice, and oh my Heavens! It's like the bitterness cancels itself out and becomes sweet. Demerara syrup helps too, of course  ;)

Offline smarmar

• My other Dell Quiet Keys is a Model M
    • Short Stories to Read in the Dark
« Reply #8974 on: Tue, 08 November 2022, 19:39:05 »

Remember: "Trying" is the first step towards failure. :thumb:
I feel you, man. For a long time now, I've been feeling like a failure, I've been feeling despair, dread, you name it. I can't seem to find a way out of it.
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #8975 on: Fri, 11 November 2022, 10:46:23 »
Cleaning and prepping my desktop and gear to go to a LAN tomorrow (hosted by South East Gamers). . Hyped for this as it's been too long since I was able to go to a LAN with that group.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8976 on: Fri, 11 November 2022, 12:39:29 »
Cleaning and prepping my desktop and gear to go to a LAN tomorrow (hosted by South East Gamers). . Hyped for this as it's been too long since I was able to go to a LAN with that group.

will there be attractive females attending?

Offline smarmar

« Reply #8977 on: Sat, 12 November 2022, 18:45:11 »
I had a blast at ye olde Lady of the Lakes renaissance faire. Good music, mead, and friends. HUZZAH! :)
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #8978 on: Sun, 13 November 2022, 02:46:16 »
Basically just woke up, but I've had my coffee so far! :D

Offline smarmar

« Reply #8979 on: Mon, 14 November 2022, 13:15:22 »
I made a list of things to do today. It's 2:14pm and I have yet to cross anything off.  :blank:

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #8980 on: Mon, 14 November 2022, 20:53:58 »
Basically just woke up, but I've had my coffee so far! :D

Same. Woke up at 5pm, ordered a pizza, currently sipping coffee and toking a bowl while watching British game shows, waiting on my pie, and petting my napping kitty in my lap.
I love Saturday's

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #8981 on: Sat, 26 August 2023, 15:30:47 »
I rode my bicycle to the pharmacy, but afterwards the cable lock did not open. The key worked, and the cylinder turned but the lock would not open, no matter how much I yanked it in different directions.

So I took the subway home, and got back to the bike with a hacksaw and some oil. The hacksaw cut through the cable like butter. I got it in two pieces in less than two minutes.
I'm a bit miffed that all these years that I have used the lock, its security has been this low.

And yes, I got lots of weird looks from people passing by.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8982 on: Sat, 26 August 2023, 15:40:04 »
I rode my bicycle to the pharmacy, but afterwards the cable lock did not open. The key worked, and the cylinder turned but the lock would not open, no matter how much I yanked it in different directions.

So I took the subway home, and got back to the bike with a hacksaw and some oil. The hacksaw cut through the cable like butter. I got it in two pieces in less than two minutes.
I'm a bit miffed that all these years that I have used the lock, its security has been this low.

Plot twist, Findecanor is a serial bike thief, and he's only written this post so he can point to it while he's under investigation by the police.

Online Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #8983 on: Sat, 26 August 2023, 18:46:35 »

The best protection that these locks provide is the illusion of protection. Same with masterlocks. If someone is intentionally targeting your bike of a locker than they don't do much, but they deter most people from just taking stuff because it has a lock and it would be more trouble than it's worth.

Remember, the most common way for thieves to break into peoples houses is open doors/windows and not lock picking. They want the easy way most of the time and If a house looks protected they simply won't bother.
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline mohawk1367

« Reply #8984 on: Wed, 13 September 2023, 08:07:14 »
school  :'(

senior year is so boring i struggle to keep my eyes open.

on the plus side after school im going to pick up my first (and probably last) BEAM SPRING!!! :D
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Online Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #8985 on: Wed, 13 September 2023, 18:01:45 »

on the plus side after school im going to pick up my first (and probably last) BEAM SPRING!!! :D

Have a biology and maths sac (which is like a test but actually important today) and then chem tomorrow and them I'm done til end of year exams I guess.

Great find on the beamspring, hope you enjoy it.
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline mohawk1367

« Reply #8986 on: Thu, 14 September 2023, 06:50:06 »

Have a biology and maths sac (which is like a test but actually important today) and then chem tomorrow and them I'm done til end of year exams I guess.

Great find on the beamspring, hope you enjoy it.

biology and chem at the same time?? thats crazy

and yeah its my new fav definitely, i regret nothing

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #8987 on: Sat, 16 September 2023, 05:38:36 »
Went to dentist, felt pain when eating with one tooth.
He found two teeth needed fixing, which he said was causing the pain.
Fixed it. £315.
Two days after, pain came back, exactly same, reaction to cold food....
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8988 on: Sun, 17 September 2023, 07:35:34 »
Went to dentist, felt pain when eating with one tooth.
He found two teeth needed fixing, which he said was causing the pain.
Fixed it. £315.
Two days after, pain came back, exactly same, reaction to cold food....

Acidic foods tend to make this sensitivity worse.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #8989 on: Sun, 17 September 2023, 20:54:09 »
Slept 'till 1.30 pm. Woke up and cooked some Thai basil pancakes & nam jim while sipping some local roasted French press. Took an edible, then went food shopping. Watched the newest Red Letter BotW. Tri tip fajitas for dinner, then Baldur's Gate 3 until bed time paired with a nice Islay single malt and some Granddaddy Pluto.

The day would sure be improved upon if I had someone to spend it with, but at least I know what I like and can maximize my own self indulgence.  :rolleyes:

Offline mohawk1367

« Reply #8990 on: Mon, 18 September 2023, 07:05:44 »
Slept 'till 1.30 pm. Woke up and cooked some Thai basil pancakes & nam jim while sipping some local roasted French press. Took an edible, then went food shopping. Watched the newest Red Letter BotW. Tri tip fajitas for dinner, then Baldur's Gate 3 until bed time paired with a nice Islay single malt and some Granddaddy Pluto.

The day would sure be improved upon if I had someone to spend it with, but at least I know what I like and can maximize my own self indulgence.  :rolleyes:

Sounds like a great day. you only live once lol

Offline phinix

« Reply #8991 on: Mon, 18 September 2023, 13:40:59 »

Sounds like a great day!
What's Granddaddy Pluto?
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #8992 on: Mon, 18 September 2023, 16:30:58 »

Sounds like a great day!
What's Granddaddy Pluto?

Offline phinix

« Reply #8993 on: Mon, 18 September 2023, 17:35:43 »
mmmmmmmm.......

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8994 on: Mon, 18 September 2023, 19:36:37 »

mmmm ....

Uninvited guests crashing the party.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #8995 on: Mon, 18 September 2023, 19:44:20 »

mmmm ....

He is exactly three inches high, and it is a very good height indeed!

Offline phinix

« Reply #8996 on: Tue, 19 September 2023, 03:05:32 »

mmmm ....

MMMMMMMMMmmm....

fohat, you are growing nice veggies there  :D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8997 on: Tue, 19 September 2023, 08:44:29 »

mmmm ....

MMMMMMMMMmmm....

fohat, you are growing nice veggies there  :D

How do you think he raised all those mini humans and sends them to the collage.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8998 on: Tue, 19 September 2023, 08:50:03 »

Nope, all clean during child-rearing years.

Offline mohawk1367

« Reply #8999 on: Tue, 19 September 2023, 09:16:51 »

Nope, all clean during child-rearing years.

idk if you're comfortable answering this, but do they know? lol