Author Topic: OLED screens for Gamboy DMG mod  (Read 4015 times)

Offline QuincyJones

OLED screens for Gamboy DMG mod
« on: Wed, 13 July 2016, 13:26:23 »
So after finding an old Gameboy DMG at a junk sale for £1 (I never had one as a kid!) I've been scratching my head with what to do with it. Sure it is / was a beautiful design and has a cult status, and after connecting up some batteries it does work. However, with no carts it's kind of useless to me. Now, I could either pay £3-4 for one game, or I could gut it and put a Pi Zero in and run an emulator.

I'm thinking I'd like to put in a Zero, attach up buttons add two more, and the speaker (perhaps I will need an amplifier for that if I can't use the existing one) and a few other features:

- add in another Micro SD card internally which I could use as a flash drive when USB is connected
- maybe act as an MP3 player when headphones are connected - is it possible for the zero to power itself up like this?
- after seeing what other people have done, I really like the idea of putting a LiPo battery inside a game cart. It makes the gameboy look complete and is an easy way to replace a dying battery!

I'm guessing as I can load all the games I'll ever need on to the zero's micro sd card, they'd be no need to externally access it, nor with the flash drive card, so they can all be chucked inside.

However, the biggest part (and most expensive) will be the screen - Has anyone done a piboy mod with the zero? Any screen recommendations?
SENT FROM MY TRKA-100-ULTRA-PRO-1R WITH FLASHY MULTI-COLOURED LEDS FOR MEGA ULTRA COOLNESS
(please like me)

Offline DeTommie

Re: OLED screens for Gamboy DMG mod
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 07:47:41 »

Offline QuincyJones

Re: OLED screens for Gamboy DMG mod
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 16:44:04 »
Something like this: https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/game-boy-zero/?

Kind of. But, using a cart as a battery pack, not using a teensy (his is at the top centre of the case) and getting the pi to do more than just behave as a linux computer running the emulators.
SENT FROM MY TRKA-100-ULTRA-PRO-1R WITH FLASHY MULTI-COLOURED LEDS FOR MEGA ULTRA COOLNESS
(please like me)