Author Topic: Where to buy a big ass enter key?  (Read 8481 times)

Offline TheSven

Where to buy a big ass enter key?
« on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 15:26:29 »
I just made this layout online, but if I was to make it I have no idea where to buy a big ass enter key. Here's the layout: http://goo.gl/2jdKf5
Thanks.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
Re: Where to buy a big ass enter key?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 15:36:46 »
Outside of finding a vintage board with a bigass enter, there aren't any places to find just the enter
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 15:38:57 »
yeah, practically zero chance you can just find one to buy... you'd have to get one manufactured, which would only be cost effective if done in bulk... and judging by past discussions, not many people like the bigass enter...

still, I wish you luck... maybe you can find a donor board to harvest one off of...
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 16:06:52 »
Looking through my Ebay watch list I found this
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 16:43:14 »
Are you looking for a Cherry MX-compatible key?

A photo would be helpful, to indicate mounts and stabilizers.

I have a few baggies of key harvested from "junk" keyboards.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 20:19:17 »
I've got a couple of those for buckling spring - but I would imagine you are looking for a different switch type.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 22:16:49 »
What type of switches? There are some nice Tai Hao doubleshot bigass enters on keyboards from the 90s in both MX and Alps mount varieties currently on ebay.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 04:50:13 »
SP does make big ass enter  keys for cherry. I got a couple in my crap bags, double shot. But good luck having them added to a group buy, almost certain that will never happen

Offline Bludude4

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 11 February 2015, 21:14:46 »
DuckyMyDucky posted a thread where he wanted to get rid of his big-ass enter key. I think the two of you might work something out.
Here's the link to the thread:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=68694.msg1637645#msg1637645

I also posted a reply on his thread pointing to you, because I read this thread, then I read his, and it simply seemed like a match made in heaven (At least to me. XD)
All hail Hall Effect keyboards!
I'm a QFR Blues noob.
WASD keycaps are terrible.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 03:22:07 »
This store:

Has these:

Oh! I thought you said, "Big ass entry key" ;)

Your layout editor link doesn't work for me, but if it's the "standard" big-ass Enter, then why don't you split it into the ANSI sized keys (1.5x on top of a 2.25x)? Will make geting caps for it MUCH easier.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline TheSven

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 11:01:40 »
This store:

Has these:
Show Image

Oh! I thought you said, "Big ass entry key" ;)

Your layout editor link doesn't work for me, but if it's the "standard" big-ass Enter, then why don't you split it into the ANSI sized keys (1.5x on top of a 2.25x)? Will make geting caps for it MUCH easier.
Haha. Yeah, I replaced it with this http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/##@@=&_x:-1%3B&=&_x:-1&w:1.5%3B&=esc&=f1&=f2&=f3&=f4&=f5&=f6&=f7&=f8&=f9&=f10&_c=%23ffffff%3B&=f11&=f12&=del&=%2F%2F&=*%3B&@_c=%23cccccc&w:1.5%3B&=%C2%AC%60%C2%A6&=1!&=2%22&=3%C2%A3&=4$&=5%25&=6%5E&=7%2F&&=8*&=9(&=0)&=%2F_-&=+%2F=&_w:2%3B&=bckspc&=prtscr%3B&@_w:1.5%3B&=tab&=q&=w&=e&=r&=t&=y&=u&=i&=o&=p&=%7B%5B&=%7D%5D&=~%23&_x:0.25%3B&=home&=-%3B&@_w:1.5%3B&=%7C%20%5C&=a&=s&=d&=f&=g&=h&=j&=k&=l&=%2F:%2F%3B&=%2F@'&_w:2.25%3B&=enter&=end&_h:2%3B&=+%3B&@_c=%23ffffff&w:1.5%3B&=shift&_c=%23cccccc%3B&=z&=x&=c&=v&=b&=n&=m&=%3C,&=%3E.&=%3F%2F%2F&_w:2.75%3B&=shift&_x:0.5%3B&=up%3B&@_w:1.5%3B&=ctrl&_w:1.25%3B&=win&_w:1.5%3B&=alt&_w:6.25%3B&=space&_w:1.5%3B&=altgr&_w:1.5%3B&=ctrl&=left&=down&=right

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 13:56:25 »
I’m happy to mail you a black-on-gray Tai Hao doubleshot bigass enter key for Alps or MX mount, if you’ll cover the shipping cost, and if you can wait for a few weeks (I’ll be out of the country starting saturday).

What are you planning to make your keyboard plate out of? I’m not sure how well various stabilizers for bigass enter keys clip into acrylic, so you probably want to cut a steel plate. I recommend 18 gauge stainless. Making the plate is going to be pretty expensive, probably $80–100 or more.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 February 2015, 13:58:30 by jacobolus »

Offline TheSven

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 12 February 2015, 15:16:00 »
I’m happy to mail you a black-on-gray Tai Hao doubleshot bigass enter key for Alps or MX mount, if you’ll cover the shipping cost, and if you can wait for a few weeks (I’ll be out of the country starting saturday).

What are you planning to make your keyboard plate out of? I’m not sure how well various stabilizers for bigass enter keys clip into acrylic, so you probably want to cut a steel plate. I recommend 18 gauge stainless. Making the plate is going to be pretty expensive, probably $80–100 or more.
It's alright, I've changed the layout the standard ANSI, but if I ever need one I know where to go :)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 15 February 2015, 08:38:52 »
I still have a few BoW and WoB bigass enter keys in DCS profile for sale, if anyone wants them.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.