Author Topic: Dual trackball Mouse.  (Read 2342 times)

Offline Ridingmac

Dual trackball Mouse.
« on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 07:22:59 »
Hi all. Ive had this idea for a while now. A dual trackball mouse. One for cursor mouvement and one for horizontal and vertical scroll. I ended up choosing blackberry trackball due to having built in leds and built in button wich would double as a left and right button. Finished the prototyping on the breadboard laat night. Im coding the firmware later tonight. Im hoping to have something working by this weekend.

Im debating on enclosures for my finished version. Thinking id ask for ideas. Heres what ive had so far.

1. Standard mouse type enclosure
2. Integrate into wrist rest below space bar to use with both tumbs.
3. Insert into my ibm model M where the lock leds are. They could double as lock leds. (blue led = on. Green led = off)

My only issue right now is these where ebay item from china and seem really bad quality. Im searching for better ones now.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Offline nevin

Re: Dual trackball Mouse.
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 10:19:49 »
love the concept & diy!

placement ideas....
- some kind of ergo hand rest, wouldn't need to move (3d printed?), i mean, if you're going to get creative with the device, don't shove your creation into a generic shell. or if you absolutely must use mass produced mouse shells, go vintage, bunch of them were more boxy, which would suit your components better. (modern mice....big arc in mouse shell, small trackballs, can't get boards close enough to surface..)
212775-0
- there are a couple guys working on a fantastically interesting, extremely ergo mouse here on the forum. take a peek, hope it will inspire you, they are looking at everything about a mouse differently. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=98360.0
- aprox. what are the dimensions? could you fit both of them in between the alpha block & the numpad above the arrows? just thinking closer to center/home row might be better if possible. reaching over numpad might be awkward.
- love the thumb trackball idea, one for each thumb...
- with the recent explosion of split keyboards, individual modules (one for each half of keyboard) to be placed about the middle of the center edges of both halves would be cool, then you could use index fingers (and they are a little more accurate than thumbs....
- take a look at some of the keyboards that had small trackballs on them.
- the ultimate hacking keyboard is a split staggered with an optional thumb trackball module

good luck! & make sure to post back with progress.
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline Ridingmac

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 10:50:54 »
Awsome idea. I do love the idea of using a vintagr mouse shell. Would fit great with my model m.

Ibwas planning of making an ergo dox ish keyboard in the near future. This also is a great idea.

Sadly these modules are a but too big ti put em above the arrow keys on my. Model m. This had crossed my mind.

Offline nevin

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 11:16:50 »
good. glad it was some inspiration.

some of the kensington trackballs had a ring around the ball for scrolling. just another thought if you try to make things smaller.

OR you could write it in the firmware that a modifier (say a tripple/quick click of the ball) changed the trackball from mouse movement to scroll wheel function (dual purpose, with one ball)
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline Ridingmac

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 11:18:13 »
OH!!! That is an awsome idea. Thanks

Offline nevin

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 15 February 2019, 03:06:35 »
let me know if you end up going the vintage mouse route. i'll dig around, i might have one or two, not sure exactly what you had in mind.

Offline equalunique

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 03 April 2019, 13:52:58 »
Good luck with the project! The concept seems ergonomic.