Author Topic: [IC] TGR Alice PCB (GB Live, Update: ARM MCU)  (Read 50154 times)

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
Re: [IC] TGR Alice PCB (Update: ALPS Support for PCB)
« Reply #100 on: Sun, 27 January 2019, 17:16:59 »
Firstly.. i'm going to buy this combo no matter what.
Secondly.. If it was my preference, i would rather pay extra for an ALPS specific plate that had alps (not costar or cherry) stabs clip holes.

I concur with this, once again. I'd rather not have to settle for something that requires a modification after I receive it in the mail, no matter how simple.

I'd settle on a specific, dedicated layout than accommodate for a "universal" type. The likelihood of desoldering and changing the layout, should I have a "universal" plate, would be pretty small.

Offline fireworm

« Reply #101 on: Sun, 27 January 2019, 17:24:36 »
Secondly.. If it was my preference, i would rather pay extra for an ALPS specific plate that had alps (not costar or cherry) stabs clip holes.

I concur with this, once again. I'd rather not have to settle for something that requires a modification after I receive it in the mail, no matter how simple.

I'd settle on a specific, dedicated layout than accommodate for a "universal" type. The likelihood of desoldering and changing the layout, should I have a "universal" plate, would be pretty small.
OK.

Do you want split backspace?

Do you want split right shift?

Edit how about a form: https://goo.gl/forms/X5vrIolhcx53qdMu1
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 January 2019, 17:37:03 by fireworm »

Offline Pemdas

• (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ᶠᶫᵒᵃᵗᶦᶰᵍ ᶫᶦᵏᵉ ᵃ ᵇᵘᵗᵗᵉʳᶠᶫʸ
« Reply #102 on: Sun, 27 January 2019, 17:56:28 »

Was actually working on an alps Alice build and really wanted to avoid hand wiring :))

Would be very interested in an alps compatible PCB! Form filled :thumb:
HHKB2 | Orion v2 | TGR-03 Proto | Octagon v2 | JD45 | BlackBird | Mira SE | Viper v2 | SX60 | E8-v1 | Alice | LZ GH v2 | No 1/65 | 910SE | Kyuu | LZ CLS ms | UNIKORN | PhysiX

Offline onefivenine

• Project Keyboard LLC
« Reply #103 on: Sun, 27 January 2019, 18:30:44 »
Show Image

Was actually working on an alps Alice build and really wanted to avoid hand wiring :))

That looks great! How are the tolerances?

Offline fireworm

« Reply #104 on: Sun, 27 January 2019, 18:43:40 »

OK.

Or I'll just provide some files and other folks can sort it out themselves....

Offline Pemdas

« Reply #105 on: Sun, 27 January 2019, 19:25:57 »
Show Image

Pretty great, placed a switch in and was able to use a key cap puller to remove a key cap without the switch popping out. Used laserboost for the cutter

HHKB2 | Orion v2 | TGR-03 Proto | Octagon v2 | JD45 | BlackBird | Mira SE | Viper v2 | SX60 | E8-v1 | Alice | LZ GH v2 | No 1/65 | 910SE | Kyuu | LZ CLS ms | UNIKORN | PhysiX

Offline fireworm

« Reply #106 on: Sun, 27 January 2019, 20:58:21 »
Show Image

Pretty great, placed a switch in and was able to use a key cap puller to remove a key cap without the switch popping out. Used laserboost for the cutter
Mx stabs though?

Offline Pemdas

« Reply #107 on: Sun, 27 January 2019, 21:39:35 »
Show Image

Mx stabs though?

Yup, I'm going to be using the Alps Throwback set for keycaps and they use mx style stabs.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=96448.0

Offline gabbbe

« Reply #108 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 18:59:59 »
I’m ready for this group buy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline fireworm

« Reply #109 on: Mon, 28 January 2019, 19:39:51 »

OK.

Or I'll just provide some files and other folks can sort it out themselves....

Yea, thinking more, I'm gonna do this:

Prototype mx / alps in acrylic. 

Then I'm gonna order five alps polycarb plates with split backspace, split r shift, and alps stablizers. 

If anyone wants one hit me up (it doesn't make sense to order one plate for $100+, when I can get five for significantly cheaper).

I can post files for any other folks (full backspace, full r shift), mx stabs, costar stabs, whatev.  But sweet Jesus, wrangling Alps preferences is like herding cats, since everything is incompatible with everything else!
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 January 2019, 19:43:07 by fireworm »

Offline gabbbe

« Reply #110 on: Fri, 01 February 2019, 15:31:00 »
PCB  GB when fellas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline weaston

« Reply #111 on: Fri, 01 February 2019, 17:13:36 »

Then I'm gonna order five alps polycarb plates with split backspace, split r shift, and alps stablizers. 

If anyone wants one hit me up (it doesn't make sense to order one plate for $100+, when I can get five for significantly cheaper).

I can post files for any other folks (full backspace, full r shift), mx stabs, costar stabs, whatev.  But sweet Jesus, wrangling Alps preferences is like herding cats, since everything is incompatible with everything else!

Just wanted to say to not get split backspace and split right shift alps plates cause the only people who will have the sets needed for that are the real alps hoarders or people using mx stab alps sets which are few and far between.  Getting standard backspace and shift will make them easier to offload after you confirm your fitments.
DK Saver | Kingsaver | OTD 360 Corsa | OTD 456GT | OTD Cheat | KMAC 1.3 | KMAC 1.2 | KMAC Happy | KMAC Pad | KMAC Mini (Revo) | Singa | HHKB Pro 1 | GSKT-00 | IBM 5251 | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model M | Dolch PAC | Kinesis Advantage

Offline fireworm

« Reply #112 on: Fri, 01 February 2019, 18:41:02 »

Just wanted to say to not get split backspace and split right shift alps plates cause the only people who will have the sets needed for that are the real alps hoarders or people using mx stab alps sets which are few and far between.  Getting standard backspace and shift will make them easier to offload after you confirm your fitments.

That right there is the conflict that Alps fundamentally presents, due to the stabilizer issues.  I can't have both [money] and [the plate I want].  :P

Offline Lormania

« Reply #113 on: Sat, 02 February 2019, 13:50:49 »
I would love split backspace and split right shift alps compatibility :)

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #114 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 14:17:12 »

As it is just one PCB, I think it was implied that it was going to have split right shift and backspace for alps too.

Offline fireworm

« Reply #115 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 16:25:05 »

Show Image

As it is just one PCB, I think it was implied that it was going to have split right shift and backspace for alps too.

Pcb support is the easier part.  The alps plate can't satisfy everyone though, due to the alps stabs...

Offline kw88

« Reply #116 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 19:05:29 »
Interested, I am in.

Offline bthezebra

« Reply #117 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 14:19:23 »
Can't wait for this

Offline hamilton

« Reply #118 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 17:12:32 »
Also interested in this.

Offline crykn

« Reply #119 on: Thu, 07 February 2019, 09:13:30 »
I would absolutely be down to get a PCB, hopefully it's not limited to 20 units. And if it doesn't affect cost, I think Black would be a good color for the PCB.

Offline airyimbin

« Reply #120 on: Thu, 07 February 2019, 10:59:58 »
I would absolutely be down to get a PCB, hopefully it's not limited to 20 units. And if it doesn't affect cost, I think Black would be a good color for the PCB.

He said 30-40

Is this still going to be limited to 20 orders only?
I am so in for this.

For this run, we would like to limit orders to 1 pcb per person. Maximum total units to about 30-40 to keep qc tight. No limit to plates though.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #121 on: Thu, 07 February 2019, 11:01:18 »
Whatever is cheaper, I think that was the point of no LEDs, no indicators, etc.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #122 on: Thu, 07 February 2019, 11:03:19 »
Any chance you can make one for the Jane v1?

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #123 on: Thu, 07 February 2019, 11:06:19 »

Offline reidd

« Reply #124 on: Thu, 07 February 2019, 11:14:46 »
Can anyone describe the carbon fiber typing experience compared to brass?

Offline kw88

« Reply #125 on: Fri, 08 February 2019, 01:32:13 »
Units: 35 (maximum)

What is the real reason for it? Is it only for your QC after PCBs arrival?
I mean, PCB do not looks complicated to manufacture at all - no underglow, no indicators, no in-switch leds etc. Not a serious task for big manufacturers, must be no problems. And if some PCBs will be defective, they are always can accept it and replace for new ones.
Demand for these PCBs is way bigger than 35 maximum.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #126 on: Fri, 08 February 2019, 02:41:37 »

I mean, PCB do not looks complicated to manufacture at all - no underglow, no indicators, no in-switch leds etc. Not a serious task for big manufacturers, must be no problems. And if some PCBs will be defective, they are always can accept it and replace for new ones.

hand assembly and QC

getting presoldered PCBs in quantities under 50 or 100 is generally prohibitively expensive

considering that there are only 60 or so alices in existence, it's not inefficient to limit to a certain number to keep costs down
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #127 on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 19:06:33 »
i ordered a plate, so want to keep an eye on this too - anyway we could get shipping to line up if we already have plate ordered or is the timeline way different?

Offline onefivenine

• Project Keyboard LLC
« Reply #128 on: Wed, 13 February 2019, 01:55:49 »

hand assembly and QC

getting presoldered PCBs in quantities under 50 or 100 is generally prohibitively expensive

considering that there are only 60 or so alices in existence, it's not inefficient to limit to a certain number to keep costs down

Puddsy's right as the limit on the pcb is due to hand soldering.

i ordered a plate, so want to keep an eye on this too - anyway we could get shipping to line up if we already have plate ordered or is the timeline way different?

Timeline would not match up and I didn't want to hold up any people on the plates that was in IC months before I posted about PCBs. If anyone wants to wait for their PCB to ship together, I will definitely ship them together but I can't promise the timeline for that yet.

Offline dangboy

• yes
« Reply #129 on: Wed, 13 February 2019, 02:27:50 »
Plate ordered. Just waiting on this now.

wooden alice soonTM

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder

Offline onefivenine

• Project Keyboard LLC
« Reply #131 on: Sun, 17 February 2019, 14:57:34 »
Just dropping in to let you guys know that we are reviewing all the interest & feedback and working out some details.
Stay tuned and I will post a major update of the project SOON™

Offline Lormania

« Reply #132 on: Sun, 17 February 2019, 15:04:04 »
Just dropping in to let you guys know that we are reviewing all the interest & feedback and working out some details.
Stay tuned and I will post a major update of the project SOON™

!!!

Offline onefivenine

• Project Keyboard LLC
« Reply #133 on: Thu, 21 February 2019, 07:36:55 »
Thanks for being patient. I have posted an update to the original post.

Offline airyimbin

What style of stabs do the PCB support?
Is it screw-in or snap-in style?

Offline Starston3

In.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
In.

Is the plate going to be 3mm? 5mm? 1.5mm with a support plate?
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline Legoo

• Hello
I would be very interested in an acrylic case with an ALPS pcb as well.
E6_V2 R2 | Time80RE | OTD The Cheat | J80 | Iron180 | Solenoid MX M0110A | ACR60 | HHKB Pro 2 | Brown Alps Duck Orion v3 | TGR Alice Polycarb proto | Duck Lightpad | Orange Alps Duck Raven | TADA68 | TX75 | LZ CLS MS

Offline CrazyNun

I know it's probably too much to ask....but, with the acyrlic case design/cad files is there any chance the design can be tweaked to resemble the outer shape of the OG Alice?  It's looking great rn, but i reckon it would be even better if it wasn't rectangular, but close to the dynamic shape of the original...just a thought and a personal preference, i've no idea what people on here would actually prefer.

Offline onefivenine

• Project Keyboard LLC
What style of stabs do the PCB support?
Is it screw-in or snap-in style?
PCB supports both.

In.

Is the plate going to be 3mm? 5mm? 1.5mm with a support plate?
Initial post contains a link to the documentation to the acrylic case that is a work in progress.

I know it's probably too much to ask....but, with the acyrlic case design/cad files is there any chance the design can be tweaked to resemble the outer shape of the OG Alice?  It's looking great rn, but i reckon it would be even better if it wasn't rectangular, but close to the dynamic shape of the original...just a thought and a personal preference, i've no idea what people on here would actually prefer.
This group buy is meant to obtain parts based on the Yuktsi's original files: replacement pcb, plates, and the acrylic case. We are not trying to replicate or clone the alu version of Alice by TGR.

Offline gorbachev

This is just getting better and better. Take my money already.

Offline NRbigfoot

In for pcb and acrylic case
HBCP | FLX Virgo | aanzee | Mira SE | Leaf 80 | HHKB pro 1 | qxp | Rukia | IDB60 | equinox | No1Rev1 | Whale | Montage | 268.2 | Anniversary Whale | Jer80 | Evolv

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
Acrylic case sounds exciting. Might consider in if the price is affordable.

Offline hamilton

Definitely in for this!

Offline swangful

yup, im in.

Offline swangful

**** does that mean i need to go hunt for a plate? or does this case have an integrated plate? shoulda just clicked the link, nvm :P

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
black acryl case please
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline fishinaspacesuit

Wow I'm definitely in for an acrylic Alice too! Thanks for running this!

Offline sarsaparillagorilla

I'm 100000% down for this mothertrucker. PCB plate and PCB I'm so frickin excited!!!1  :eek: :eek: :eek: :thumb: :p
Oh wow I'm a loser. I mean....
I still want the keyboard.

Offline AaronR

Could we get a usb c pcb for the new case?