Author Topic: [IC] MT3 Extended 2048  (Read 121195 times)

Offline thornkin

Re: [IC] MT3 Extended 2048
« Reply #100 on: Sun, 21 June 2020, 02:39:55 »
What does the A in the icons kit stand for?

Offline radam

« Reply #101 on: Sun, 21 June 2020, 08:48:52 »
are the nomad spacebars convex?

Edit: Nevermind. I guess just the 6.25 is.

Only 6u, 6.25u, and 7u keycaps are.

Gonna echo what others are saying about spacebars. The concave R4 spacebars feel atrocious and it would be greatly appreciated if you could explore other alternatives.

For MT3 Serika, Zambumon said here, here, and here that MT3 Serika's 2U spacebars are convex.

This kind of annoys me because they definitely weren't. I hadn't seen him comment on this before. I assumed they were convex because they were listed as spacebars, but they are clearly not labeled with C, and I thought it was my fault for not paying attention.

If the community calls something a spacebar it really better be convex. Otherwise label it as a blank. I'm not buying any more 40s or spacebar kits without clearly marked convex keycaps. It's not that hard.

Offline VoodooBear

« Reply #102 on: Sun, 21 June 2020, 09:08:58 »
Some day ePBT 2048 R2 will happen, some day.  :'(

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #103 on: Mon, 22 June 2020, 07:26:12 »
Definitely in!but why put the  legends on the center ? that is not "apple" 😔 . and any chance for katakana kit?=) :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I will work on a katakana mono alphas kit :thumb:

I love Extended 2048 and MT3 is my favorite profile. I have dev/tty and godspeed which are awesome, but I just got Serika and the row 4 bottom row on ortho feels really bad in comparison to row 5.

Totally interested, any chance you can make row 5 bottom row happen?

I will add R5 keys :thumb:

colevrak kit

yes

MT3 in PBT? wow! Any chance of having blanks?

yes

Any plans to include the Mac functions set?

yes

1.25u on home row needed for the 40s kit, please!

I will add it.

Any chance of an R1 Pause/Break key in the numpad kit, to support full 1800 style layouts?

yes

Consider adding the following keys:
  • Move R0 Delete from Numpad to Base, in order to support certain 75% layouts.
  • Add a second 1u Alt to Base and Accent Mods, in order to cover Mac bottom rows (2× 1.5u Cmd, 1u Alt required).
  • Add an F13 to Base.
  • Add a second B to Spacebars.
Compatibility looks fantastic otherwise.

Great feedback, I will consider that :)

Awesome, love seeing this in mt3! Two suggestions  though: space bar kit with a second B and  R5 bottom row Option like /dev/tty

B will be added in the spacebars kit and the spacebars will be convex.

I will come back with a massive update as soon as possible!
Thanks for the amazing feedback.

<3

Offline Hell-es

« Reply #104 on: Mon, 22 June 2020, 12:42:15 »
Again big  :thumb: for your ICs - with Biip ICs I always have the feeling that it is about the feedback, not just to start the advertisement .

And  ;D for Katakanas and Blanks ... this could end as „bad“ as with Milkshake Kits ...

Really have to test MT3 before the gb

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #105 on: Mon, 22 June 2020, 13:10:23 »
I just noticed that there are R1 End and PgDn in the mods kit. These can be removed as you wouldn't really see these keys used on 75% boards, and for them to be used on 1800/CP/96-key layouts, they would need to be R0 and accompanied by a numpad (both of which are already covered by the numpad kit). So these two keys are a surplus.

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #106 on: Tue, 23 June 2020, 02:53:21 »
I just noticed that there are R1 End and PgDn in the mods kit. These can be removed as you wouldn't really see these keys used on 75% boards, and for them to be used on 1800/CP/96-key layouts, they would need to be R0 and accompanied by a numpad (both of which are already covered by the numpad kit). So these two keys are a surplus.

True!
Thanks a bunch :)

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #107 on: Tue, 23 June 2020, 08:19:17 »
True!
Thanks a bunch :)

My pleasure! Another minor thing: the pipe on the regular \| keys seems to be the only symbol that isn't italicized. Compared to, say, the pipe on the |§ key in the intl kit, which is. Is this by design, or are you going to make the regular pipe italic as well, to give it a bit more contrast compared to \ (atm it's like \| — they both look sort of straight).

Offline roblon

« Reply #108 on: Tue, 23 June 2020, 08:45:31 »
These are beautiful  :thumb:

What is the board used in the prototype photos anyone?

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #109 on: Tue, 23 June 2020, 08:57:53 »
These are beautiful  :thumb:

What is the board used in the prototype photos anyone?

RAMA Koyu in Milk finish.

Offline pcire

« Reply #110 on: Tue, 23 June 2020, 15:16:04 »
Definitely in!but why put the  legends on the center ? that is not "apple" 😔 . and any chance for katakana kit?=) :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I will work on a katakana mono alphas kit :thumb:

A man of the people!

Offline vurtomatic

« Reply #111 on: Tue, 23 June 2020, 15:24:47 »
Getting more excited with every update to the set, this is gonna be amazing  :eek: :p

Offline thelaughingman

• Simultaneously the most starry-eyed idealist and t
« Reply #112 on: Thu, 25 June 2020, 19:39:12 »
I'm in for Alphas + Mods + Superhoming kit (whenever that is added). Question: why is the alphas kit R2-3-4-4? It should be R1-2-3-4 instead

Offline pan

• Massdrop
« Reply #113 on: Fri, 26 June 2020, 04:30:23 »
Just reading the IC title, I knew I was going to buy this.
RAMA U80-A Milk, Holy Panda, GMK9009

Waiting on:
G60 NCR

Offline Spuzzy

« Reply #114 on: Sun, 28 June 2020, 22:59:24 »
Here’s a pic on drop of mt3 Serika using the key from the 40’s kit.

And here’s on one of my boards:

What keyboard is this, pray tell please ?

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #115 on: Sun, 28 June 2020, 23:42:48 »
Love the color mods.  Wish you could run those color mods on the EC set some time  :p
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 June 2020, 23:45:06 by pixelpusher »

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #116 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 00:23:13 »
Here’s a pic on drop of mt3 Serika using the key from the 40’s kit.

And here’s on one of my boards:

What keyboard is this, pray tell please ?

Prime_E

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #117 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 02:11:22 »
Love the color mods.  Wish you could run those color mods on the EC set some time  :p

Definitely!

Offline proelio

« Reply #118 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 02:30:06 »
Looks really nice. Good that it’s scheduled for December, better for my wallet lol.
Is there any chance that you will add alternative alphas such as katakanas or alphas with japanese sublegends?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #119 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 03:07:43 »
Looks really nice. Good that it’s scheduled for December, better for my wallet lol.
Is there any chance that you will add alternative alphas such as katakanas or alphas with japanese sublegends?

Katanaka mono alphas is planed :thumb:

Offline proelio

« Reply #120 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 03:08:26 »

Katanaka mono alphas is planed :thumb:
Gonna buy :)

Offline Alpacacino

« Reply #121 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 06:44:19 »
This is it.  This is my end game set.  Alpha+Mods+Numbers please!

Offline geewiz

« Reply #122 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 15:38:46 »
Got the ePBT set, got the EC set, gonna get the MT3 set, too.

Offline aWarmWalrus

« Reply #123 on: Sun, 05 July 2020, 23:01:29 »
Definitely hopping on the ergo set and the katakanas if they come out!! Any chance you can post an ergo render?

Offline thornkin

« Reply #124 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 01:55:03 »
What happened to the Vim keys of the earlier profiles?

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #125 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 02:20:28 »
What happened to the Vim keys of the earlier profiles?

I won't offer dual legends alphas since I don't like the look of em on spherical keycaps :thumb:

Offline delvix

« Reply #126 on: Tue, 07 July 2020, 10:11:58 »
Any chance you could swap out the R2 computer icon from the Icono kit for one of the other icons? Maybe the magnifying glass or the coffee cup. That way you can fill a full 3x4 macropad like a Romac with no repeating keys.

Super excited for this! I was in for every kit on the EPBT set and it's one of my all time faves, running it in MT3 was a stroke of genius

Offline biip

• @biipmk
Re: [IC] MT3 Extended 2048 (kits update)
« Reply #127 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 04:18:15 »
Hey, here is the update.
I'm still considering blanks alphas + mods, and Colevrak kit :thumb:
I might to an R0 media icons kit as well.

The set now features row 5!
All spacebars will be convex.

Kits

Alphas kit

Katakana Alphas kit

Modifiers kit
For any layout between 60 and 110%

Accent Modifiers kit
Modifiers kit color extension

Nomad kit
For any layout below 60%

Accent Nomad kit
Nomad kit color extension

Icono kit
Novelties

Ergo kit

Numpad kit

ISO Intl kit
Covering most of European layouts

ISO UK kit

Spacebars kit

Homing addon kit

« Last Edit: Wed, 08 July 2020, 05:10:25 by biip »

Offline KB_Taro

« Reply #128 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 05:32:24 »
Great updates!!  :D
Plz add r2 up arrow to MODIFIERS like MT3 Serika.

Offline thelaughingman

• Simultaneously the most starry-eyed idealist and t
« Reply #129 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 05:34:35 »
no scooped G and H in Homing kit?  :(

EDIT: nvm, just realized Serika doesn't have it also

Offline radam

« Reply #130 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 06:25:33 »
Very nice update (Thank you for r5 and marking spacebars <3). Would it be possible to get 1 more 1u cmd key in nomad? As an ortho Mac user, I like having a cmd key on either side of my spacebar.

Offline blaqbern

« Reply #131 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 06:48:36 »

That was my first thought as well, but then realized the scooped G and H are included in the alpha kits.

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #132 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 06:58:35 »

That was my first thought as well, but then realized the scooped G and H are included in the alpha kits.

F and J *.

Offline blaqbern

« Reply #133 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 07:02:46 »

F and J *.
My bad! Now I see what thelaughingman was talking about. Ignore me!

Offline Phazis

« Reply #134 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 07:12:29 »
I dunno why, but this gives me serious milkshake vibes. Would definitely buy if price isn't too high!

Offline kidviddy

• 駄日記
« Reply #135 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 10:26:55 »
I'd still like to see JIS compatibility keys get added to the international kit so that standard alphas are an option for JIS users, but failing that could you at least include the required keys in the katakana kit?  The currently missing keys are:

• R1 ー
  • R2 ゜
  • R3 む
  • R4 ろ

There have been a couple of threads about JIS support recently, awareness about the issues involved is increasing, and support for JIS layouts in monolegend sets at least is on the rise: GMK Masterpiece blazed a trail which has been followed by GMK Sumi, GMK Shoko, KAT Monochrome, GMK Oni, and others. It's relatively easy to add support -- just four more keys in this case, one of which is also required for correct kana layout for non-Mac ANSI machines as well -- and makes all the difference when it comes to usability for JIS users, who are, after all, the people most likely to actually make use of kana input.

Please, do consider it.  Thank you.

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #136 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 10:37:27 »
I'd still like to see JIS compatibility keys get added to the international kit so that standard alphas are an option for JIS users, but failing that could you at least include the required keys in the katakana kit?  The currently missing keys are:

• R1 ー
  • R2 ゜
  • R3 む
  • R4 ろ

There have been a couple of threads about JIS support recently, awareness about the issues involved is increasing, and support for JIS layouts in monolegend sets at least is on the rise: GMK Masterpiece blazed a trail which has been followed by GMK Sumi, GMK Shoko, KAT Monochrome, GMK Oni, and others. It's relatively easy to add support -- just four more keys in this case, one of which is also required for correct kana layout for non-Mac ANSI machines as well -- and makes all the difference when it comes to usability for JIS users, who are, after all, the people most likely to actually make use of kana input.

I'll add — 1u R1 key.
The RO legend is in the ISO UK kit.
There is no other missing key since these characters are katakana and the layout is based on AEKII :thumb:

Offline kidviddy

• 駄日記
« Reply #137 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 11:28:59 »
I'll add — 1u R1 key.
There is no other missing key since these characters are katakana and the layout is based on AEKII :thumb:

Thanks for the reply.  I did a bit of research on the AEKII, and you're quite right!  The Japanese version of the Apple Extended Keyboard II specifically used an unusual ANSI-style layout like the one you have.  Here is an image for anyone else who is interested: http://www.mac-s.co.jp/images/useditem/513/0310231-4b.jpg.

Other Apple keyboards from a similar period used something closer to the modern Japanese Mac layout; here is the Apple Keyboard II, for example (not extended): http://www.mac-s.co.jp/images/useditem/513/0310231-1c.jpg. It includes all four of the keys I mentioned.

Anyway, I concede the point; since you are paying homage to a specific model of Apple keyboard and not to Apple design and iconography in general, supporting only the layout that that keyboard did is not unreasonable.  It would be nice to have the flexibility to support more modern layouts as well if adding the extra keys does not cost too much, but I at least understand the argument behind not doing so for this particular set now.  Thanks for explaining your reasoning!

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #138 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 13:00:28 »

• R1 ー
  • R2 ゜
  • R3 む
  • R4 ろ

I'll add — 1u R1 key.

I'd like to weigh in on this issue. I'll be using standard row numbering (R1 = number row) like you guys did.

In this case, adding a R1 1u ー wouldn't help since some of the other characters would be in the wrong position. That's because, as you said, this kit is based on Apple's ANSI JP layout. You would have to add all of the following keys to make it compatible with JIS (see this link for a visual comparison of the layouts):
  • R1 1u ー
  • R1 1u ヘ
  • R2 1u ゜
  • R3 1u ム (different from the one in ISO UK)
  • R4 1u ロ
It may or may not be worth it to add these keys to the ISO Intl kit (separate from the two keys in the ISO UK kit, since they are different).
But adding just ー on its own won't help.

However, there is another issue with the current katakana kit: the Japanese AEKII layout doesn't have a kana legend on the `~ key. This makes the inclusion of a R1 ロ key inaccurate. At the moment, the kit is essentially a hybrid between the Apple ANSI JP layout and the standard ANSI JP layout. But removing this key would leave users without a much-needed top-left R1 key.

I have a different suggestion, which solves the above issues and covers all of the use cases, including JIS, but requires changing the katakana kit from the Apple layout to the standard one. Now, I know that doesn't sound like it would make sense at first (seeing as this whole set is inspired by Apple keyboards), but hear me out — you are already using non-Apple layouts everywhere else in the kit. The UK keys, the international keys, even some of the modifiers: all use standard positions rather than Apple's. So this option may be worth considering.

If you change the katakana kit to match this layout (see my visual guide), you can fully cover ISO and JIS with just three extra keys on top of the ANSI keys in the kit:
  • R3 ム
  • R4 ロ
  • R1 ー
R3 and R4 keys are already in the ISO UK kit, so you would just need to add a R1 ー key to it to cover everything, in case you go with the standard layout.

If you stay with the Apple layout, I'm afraid adding JIS support is more complicated (see the first list) and might not be worth doing at all.

In case you decide to stay with the AEKII layout, I recommend changing the R4 ロ key in the current ISO UK kit to R4 ー, otherwise ISO users are going to have a duplicate ロ legend on the `~ and <> keys :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 July 2020, 20:30:23 by konstantin »

Offline ullr

« Reply #139 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 13:17:32 »
I would also like JIS compatibility.

Offline thedavefulton

« Reply #140 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 14:29:50 »
Apologies for not catching this before, but would it be possible to add a 1u Ctrl for Row 4? I like to run HHKB with a Ctrl key to the right of RShift, rather than a Fn key. I know I could use the R5 1u Ctrl, but that's not perfect 😜

If you feel that's not appropriate for the Modifiers kits, perhaps it's something that could be added to Nomad? Thanks and, again, LOVING the set!

Be well 🖖

Offline missylo

« Reply #141 on: Sat, 11 July 2020, 03:12:01 »
This is really exciting R5!!!!! After getting MT3 godspeed, I have not looked back. Waiting for my MT3 Dev/tty (with R5). (the serika, devtty R2 and susuwatari don't have R5, and it's not very comfortable to have r4 as the bottom row).

Will you be considering an ortho kit? I am so down for this!!!

If not, which sets will i need to get to cover a peronic? Or is there a 40s kit and I missed it?

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #142 on: Sat, 11 July 2020, 03:15:07 »
This is really exciting R5!!!!! After getting MT3 godspeed, I have not looked back. Waiting for my MT3 Dev/tty (with R5). (the serika, devtty R2 and susuwatari don't have R5, and it's not very comfortable to have r4 as the bottom row).

If not, which sets will i need to get to cover a peronic? Or is there a 40s kit and I missed it?

Nomad kit offers 40% coverage :)

Offline missylo

« Reply #143 on: Sat, 11 July 2020, 03:20:02 »

Nomad kit offers 40% coverage :)

OH my... of course. Thanks biip!

I CAN'T WAITTT...

Offline tanega

« Reply #144 on: Sat, 11 July 2020, 03:26:08 »
I really hope the Colevrak kit will make it.

Also if the ergo kit 2u are concave, could you add another convex 2u in the spacebar kit? That would be awesome for the boardwalk users.

Offline WorldExclusive

« Reply #145 on: Sun, 12 July 2020, 12:38:17 »
nice and interested

Just rejoined GK after a few years. Missed out on the Cool Kids set. My wife would have loved it.
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 July 2020, 14:41:45 by WorldExclusive »
Leopold TKL White w/ Red Switches and Red on Black DS Caps

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #146 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 02:28:03 »

Also if the ergo kit 2u are concave, could you add another convex 2u in the spacebar kit? That would be awesome for the boardwalk users.

Definitely.
Or would you prefer 1 extra 2u convex spacebar in the Ergo kit?

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #147 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 10:32:51 »
Renders have been updated with R5 :thumb:
Huge thanks to Obloztky.

Rama M65-A

Rama M65-A

Offline 100 percent horse

« Reply #148 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 10:49:24 »
New renders are beautiful. I'm absolutely in for the Alphas, Modifiers, and Accent Modifiers kit when the GB starts. Been looking for pretty neutral but still interesting caps to use at work and these fit the bill tremendously well.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Offline vsrnth

« Reply #149 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 12:28:04 »

Definitely.
Or would you prefer 1 extra 2u convex spacebar in the Ergo kit?
+1 on the colevrak kit. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk