Author Topic: DUMANG modular mechanical keyboard!!  (Read 10938 times)

Offline Scoox

DUMANG modular mechanical keyboard!!
« on: Tue, 07 May 2019, 01:02:13 »
Has anyone tried this? Looks pretty dope. The keys can be moved around freely to suit the user's hand. It relies on magnets to keep keys in place, not sure how well that works but it certainly looks very good for prototyping layouts. Here in China (where I'm currently working) a complete keyboard (two halves and 84 key modules) sells on Taobao for 1399 Yuan, about 206 USD. I'm really curious!

« Last Edit: Tue, 07 May 2019, 06:41:53 by Scoox »

Offline ErgoMacros

Re: DUMANG modular mechanical keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 07 May 2019, 01:16:35 »
News to me!
Amazon has them too. $204.99
  https://www.amazon.com/Custom-Keyboard-Magnetic-Mechanical-Portable/dp/B07KQ56KZR

There are 8 contacts at the base of each key module. Uses Cherry MT key caps (not included), 1u and 1.5u modules.
Free shipping.
Today's quote: '...“but then the customer successfully broke that.”

Offline Scoox

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 07 May 2019, 01:21:51 »
Just quikly looking through the specs, and I'm drooling:

• Per-key RGB LEDs
  • Custom layers
  • Custom macros
  • Machined aluminium base
  • Type-C USB connector
  • Strong magnets to keep keys in place
  • Tenting possible using detachable feet
  • Plans to release other modules in the future (other than keys) e.g. rotary encoder, trackball, track-point, mini joystick, small LCD display, 3D
    key clusters (e.g. for the thumb so you can push up, left, right and down), etc
Currently they make three different models of base: DK6, DK6 mini, DK6 Ergo (Ergodox-shaped)

218733-0

Looking at this pic, it doesn't even look like the key module has any electronics in it to identify itself to the base. Not sure how this works but it looks very clever.

I'm just about ready to play guinea pig.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 May 2019, 01:26:58 by Scoox »

Offline Scoox

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 07 May 2019, 01:47:11 »
Just talked to the official Taobao retailer here in China, apparently each key module has a small microcontroller in it that allows the module to uniquely identify itself, therby enabling users to move keys around freely whilst preserving the key's programmed function.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 May 2019, 02:10:09 by Scoox »

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 07 May 2019, 01:51:02 »
Holy ****, if this doesn't have longevity issues it might be my endgame

can you swap the switches?

Offline Scoox

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 07 May 2019, 02:23:11 »

Is the pope a catholic? You bet you can. The product is supplied with a small tool designed to pull out the actual switch out of the module, not just the cap. So basically you can install any switch.

Apparently the person I was speaking to on chat is the guy who designed the hardware. Says the product was released late last year. Must be a small company. Right now my Ergodox EZ is ****ting its pants  :D
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 May 2019, 04:13:30 by Scoox »

Offline Scoox

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 07 May 2019, 02:36:14 »
Apparently this keyboard, unlike Ergdox, doesn't use an i2c cable between the two "halves". Instead, each module connects directly to the computer via USB, and a driver brings it all together, so it's possible to press a key on one module to switch layers on another. The driver supports an arbitrary number of simultaneous modules. Assuming everything works as advertised, I think the fact that a driver is required might be my only tiny complaint. Compare that with the Ergodox EZ which is OS agnostic and requires no special drivers. Having said that, I only ever use it on my own computers, so I suspect in practice it shouldn't be a problem, other than the small hassle of having to update the driver every now and then. Don't know if it supports all major OSes, will ask. The other downside of relying on a driver is that there's a chance the product won't be supported one day. A HID-compliant device like the Ergodox EZ, on the other hand, is timeless. Can't have it all.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 May 2019, 04:33:26 by Scoox »

Offline kent.sx.lee

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 07 May 2019, 03:55:44 »
Thanks to Scoox to let me know this website, I'm one of the designer for DUMANG modular keyboard, and glad to answer questions here.

Offline Scoox

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 07 May 2019, 04:15:56 »
Thanks to Scoox to let me know this website, I'm one of the designer for DUMANG modular keyboard, and glad to answer questions here.

Welcome to the forum Kent :thumb: And congratulations on your keyboards—they look amazing!

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 07 May 2019, 04:29:08 »
The Dumang keyboard reminds me of the ErgoDex, which uses capacitive key switches on a tablet that allows keys to be positioned freely.

(ErgoDex is patented. I wonder if Dumang skirts around the patent claims by using conductive pins or if ErgoDex is gonna sue ...)

« Last Edit: Tue, 07 May 2019, 04:31:01 by Findecanor »

Offline kent.sx.lee

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 07 May 2019, 04:54:59 »
The Dumang keyboard reminds me of the ErgoDex, which uses capacitive key switches on a tablet that allows keys to be positioned freely.

(ErgoDex is patented. I wonder if Dumang skirts around the patent claims by using conductive pins or if ErgoDex is gonna sue ...)

The mechanism is different, DUMANG modular keyboard is also patented.

Offline Scoox

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 07 May 2019, 06:29:27 »

Depends on the scope of the Ergodex patent. I don't know much about how patents work but I assume an idea cannot be patented if its scope is too broad (such as a "device with mechanisms and electronics and things for doing stuff").

IMO +he Dumang keyboard is different in that it is modular not just at key level but also at keyboard level. Not only that, the way they've designed it, the keyboard base can be any shape imaginable i.e. the underlying electronics of the base are common to all models. You could quite literally grab a hack-saw and chop off a chunk of the base and be just fine, so long as you don't hit the controller bit.

Currently there's a limitation of between 44 and 50 keys per module (didn't ask how these numbers were arrived at) but it's in their plans to increase this limit—good for a more compact single-module keyboard (instead of two separate halves).

BTW the keyboard IS HID compliant and can function without the driver. The driver is needed for programming the keyboard and for cross-module layer switching. That means without the driver a module can only switch its own layers but no other module's. This is something they have thought about so it's possible future iterations of the product might have an extra connector or use a wireless link to inter-connect the modules.

Another novelty feature is support for other input modules such as trackpads, trackballs, etc.

Sorry if it looks like I'm promoting this thing—I'm not affiliated in any way with these guys but, as a devoted ergo-nut, this thing has really caught my eye.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 May 2019, 06:40:16 by Scoox »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 07 May 2019, 07:16:26 »

Depends on the scope of the Ergodex patent. I don't know much about how patents work but I assume an idea cannot be patented if its scope is too broad (such as a "device with mechanisms and electronics and things for doing stuff").
I have read a few US patents at work but I'm not a patent lawyer or anything.
You can't patent a general idea — only a specific idea for how to implement something. But the devil is in the details: how the claims are worded. They are written in a type of formal prose which can be a real headache to read ... so I don't want to try to make my own judgement in this case: I'll leave that to others.  :p
Two claims can look identical to a casual inspection but be different on a small detail that makes the difference between something being covered vs. not covered.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 May 2019, 07:22:26 by Findecanor »

Offline Scoox

Re: DUMANG modular mechanical keyboard!!
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 07 May 2019, 07:59:05 »
In the end, patents ensure the ideal product never comes to fruition.

Offline xorian

• A nondescript lurker
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 03 June 2019, 08:50:13 »
A co-worker of mine actually bought one of these and posted a write-up about it on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/bvzpjz/dumang_dk6_scorpion_venom/

I haven't spent much time with it personally, but having seen it and laid hands on it I've got to admit it seems like a solid build with decent quality.  I probably won't pick one up for myself (since I have 3 ErgoDoxes and a few other keyboards), but other than the proprietary firmware and accompanying configuration app I can't really see much to complain about.

Offline sypl

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 19:42:41 »
This thing is wild! I gotta have one! Putting it on the shopping list for China visit next month.

Looking on taobao there's even funky right angle modular units and ergodox shape bases.

Every now and again I'm just blown away by someone's innovation. If this works well this would be the first place I'd point people interested in creating their own keeb, to test out possible layouts. I remember when I first tried I'd print out layouts and pretend type on them. Positively prehistoric compared to using something like this.

Repositionable, hotswappable. I suppose the only other thing that could be done for that last bit of customisation is somehow getting the keys off a plane. Like, if someone wanted to create the Maltron "bowl" shape that'd be out the question. Still though, this seems a mighty product.

Offline Chaselicious17

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 19:50:44 »
What A Beautiful Dumang

Offline LazyDog

• My personal site
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 05 June 2019, 12:26:17 »
For me the first question would be, how strong are the magnets? Like, what's the force when they're in contact with each other?
<-- Epilepsy and music autoplay warning there

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 05 June 2019, 12:32:13 »
what a beautiful dumang

Offline swedishpiehole

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 05 June 2019, 15:01:09 »
Damn that thing looks cool af. I want one. But I don't need one.

Offline sypl

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 02 August 2019, 19:22:44 »

Hi Kent. I did pick up one of these on my China trip, and as I imagined, it's freaking awesome! My only question is, do you intend to make the configuaration software work on anything other than windows? I don't even have a windows machine so am unable to use it  :'(

Offline Scoox

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 11:57:54 »

Hi Kent. I did pick up one of these on my China trip, and as I imagined, it's freaking awesome! My only question is, do you intend to make the configuaration software work on anything other than windows? I don't even have a windows machine so am unable to use it  :'(

I‘ve refrained from buying new toys for a bit just so I can get stuff done, now thinking about getting one of these. Would love to hear more from you.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 12:01:37 »
News to me!
Amazon has them too. $204.99
  https://www.amazon.com/Custom-Keyboard-Magnetic-Mechanical-Portable/dp/B07KQ56KZR

There are 8 contacts at the base of each key module. Uses Cherry MT key caps (not included), 1u and 1.5u modules.
Free shipping.

Wouldn't mind if i do.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 12:01:53 »
A co-worker of mine actually bought one of these and posted a write-up about it on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/bvzpjz/dumang_dk6_scorpion_venom/

I haven't spent much time with it personally, but having seen it and laid hands on it I've got to admit it seems like a solid build with decent quality.  I probably won't pick one up for myself (since I have 3 ErgoDoxes and a few other keyboards), but other than the proprietary firmware and accompanying configuration app I can't really see much to complain about.

Hmm.. looks good.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 12:04:06 »
Damn that thing looks cool af. I want one. But I don't need one.

LMAO i can't afford one.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 12:04:37 »

Is the pope a catholic? You bet you can. The product is supplied with a small tool designed to pull out the actual switch out of the module, not just the cap. So basically you can install any switch.

Apparently the person I was speaking to on chat is the guy who designed the hardware. Says the product was released late last year. Must be a small company. Right now my Ergodox EZ is ****ting its pants  :D

That looks really cool!

Offline sypl

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 15:28:55 »

I‘ve refrained from buying new toys for a bit just so I can get stuff done, now thinking about getting one of these. Would love to hear more from you.

Oh hey there. So I've had this for months now, but honestly haven't used it loads, for a couple of reasons:
- It is not particularly portable, as it's heavy. That's good, as the aluminium base is SOLID, but if you have two of these, you'd have to carry both with you, so that's TWO mini plastic cases you'd be carrying around, totalling 3kg I'm guessing. Even in keyboard-freakery land, toting two keyboards looks really odd.
- Second, I can't use the software configurator as it's Windows only. Reading back on my previous post, what I wrote seems a bit misleading. I _can_ use this on my computer, but I can't use the configurator to do anything fancy, like one shot keys. All keys are 'as is'. Can still have fun trying out different layouts, but nothing high level, not until I can get hold of a windows machine anyway.
- It needs two USB ports, and I only have two on my machine, and generally one is occupied. A cable between the two would be a better solution maybe? Bluetooth would make me lose my mind.
- Finally, and maybe most importantly, I'm not sure if this is a daily drive type of keyboard. If you have a madcap idea for a new layout and want to try it out, this is perfect. No soldering iron, no wires even, not even hot swap sockets. Just push things around and you got your new layout. It really is a bit of a marvel.

Some random notes:
- Like I said, this is a hefty chunk(s) of metal. The base is aluminium and the key blocks themselves are solid units.
- Each block is held in place by fairly strong magnets, and under each block is a layer of tacky rubber to add extra friction.
- The ones I got, with the rectangular base (not the ergodox-shaped ones) are just over 10u by 7u. Doesn't mean you can fit 70 keys on a panel, I think max is 48.
- The keycaps that come with it aren't amazing. They have a 'gamer' font on them and are very sharp-edged. My thumbs weep. It appears to be a standard TKL set. Keycaps appear to be doubleshot, FWIW. White caps, clear legends.
- Another reason this keycap set is odd is that they're scuplted. Now, if you expect people to move keys around a lot between rows, I would have thought a uniform profile set would have been the choice.
- Swap the switches out to your heart's content. I got mine with Kailh whites, if I recall correctly there were several other options. But it doesn't matter does it anyway, cos er, swappable!
- I also bought a set of teeny-tiny ballbearings from the vendor, which you can stick in the shaft of Kailh switches to reduce travel. Though I was rather sternly informed that they WILL NOT WORK with white switches.
- The legs on each base board are curious mechanisms, plastic tubular legs that you can rotate in increments to set different heights. A clever method to be fair. I think the material could be nicer though, feels like they might break if I dropped this heavy baseboard from any kind of height with a leg extended.
- Set legs at different heights to get an asymmetric tilt. Flip the board 180 to get a downward tent.
- Unfortunately, they can't be removed, and there are two legs, both at front side of board. If, like me, you prefer your keyboard to lay completely flat, you're out of luck.

Overall, I'm delighted with my purchase, a very happy addition to the collection. I'll be sure to drag it out whenever I want to rapidly prototype a layout idea. If you have any questions, lay them on!

Offline ErgoMacros

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 16:58:55 »
- Second, I can't use the software configurator as it's Windows only. Reading back on my previous post, what I wrote seems a bit misleading. I _can_ use this on my computer, but I can't use the configurator to do anything fancy, like one shot keys. All keys are 'as is'. Can still have fun trying out different

Overall, I'm delighted with my purchase, a very happy addition to the collection. I'll be sure to drag it out whenever I want to rapidly prototype a layout idea. If you have any questions, lay them on!

First of all, thanks for the update!
Fun to watch his.

WRT the config. I was assuming that to get the "fancy" functions you'd need to be on a windows machine. And their driver (or whatever) to merge the input from the 2 halves.

Does seem like it's almost(?) worthwhile to have as a "stand-alone" prototyping device!
Thanks again.
Today's quote: '...“but then the customer successfully broke that.”

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 19:50:31 »
I honestly wouldn't mind the typing angle, would cut off feet instead.

Most of the time the angle turns me off on the majority of keyboards i'm looking to purchase