Author Topic: [GB] FRiED Keyset - Now Available!  (Read 4561 times)

Offline Krizie

[GB] FRiED Keyset - Now Available!
« on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 04:11:10 »
Hi All

The FRiED keyset is now available on SP. Hopefully this will be of interest to some of you!

http://www.pimpmykeyboard.com/deals/fried-keyset/
|
SteelSeries G6v2|KBT Poker 2

Offline Jersern

• Australian Keyboard Modding and Repair Service
Re: [GB] FRiED Keyset - Now Available!
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 05:21:22 »
I want it but ugghhhh 76 dollars :( and I live in Australia so awful exchange rate right now :( out of curiosity,  if I pay the 76 now will I get refunded if the buy drops to for example 53 dollars. Also what does the base set come with. Sorry,  I can't see anything since I'm using mobile phone.

Offline Krizie

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 08:15:56 »
Hi Jersern

If for example the base set reaches 50 buyers the cost will reduce to $63. You will be charged the cheapest price at the time the deal expires.
There should be a note when you view the deal.
"If you purchase this deal you will only be charged the final group price, when the deal expires, and only if it reaches the tipping point (MOQ)." - pimpmykeyboard.com

The base keyset consists of all keys needed to cover a TKL board. You would need the numpad child deal to complete a full keyboard. I would also recommend the orange pack to liven it up a bit!  ;D

Thank you for your interest!
|

Offline Retirba

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 10:01:19 »
I want it but ugghhhh 76 dollars :( and I live in Australia so awful exchange rate right now :( out of curiosity,  if I pay the 76 now will I get refunded if the buy drops to for example 53 dollars. Also what does the base set come with. Sorry,  I can't see anything since I'm using mobile phone.

I would have to agree here. I'm not in Australia, but for an ABS set, this does seem a bit expensive even at 63. If it were a PBT DSA set, however, I'd be jumping all over it and some extra individual keys for my ErgoDox.

Offline -blind

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 17:09:33 »

I would have to agree here. I'm not in Australia, but for an ABS set, this does seem a bit expensive even at 63. If it were a PBT DSA set, however, I'd be jumping all over it and some extra individual keys for my ErgoDox.

It can't be PBT because you can't doubleshot mold PBT, therefore you will never have bright legends with dark caps as PBT.  I don't understand the PBT elitism so prevalent these days - it is just another type of plastic.  If you're not going to be boiling the damn keys or wiping them with acetone & solvents, you won't notice the difference at all - in fact the ABS legends will be more resistant to wear than the PBT dye-sub ones.

Offline fknraiden

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 17:13:56 »
Vortex makes double shot pbt

IBM SSK 87'     ReAlForce 55g Silent 10AE

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 17:26:54 »
SP does not do PBT Doubleshot except for DCS top row keys, such as novelty keys, so they don't do full sets in PBT Doubleshot. Vortex uses a different manufacturing process I am guessing that allows them to do full sets, obviously this isn't the forum to discuss that though.

I think this set looks fantastic, its a shame I cant afford to join any keycap group buys for awhile. good luck!

Offline -blind

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 02:18:00 »
Vortex makes double shot pbt

Is Vortex SP?  I've never seen SP do a PBT doubleshot ever, they don't have the tooling as far as I know - so you will not see one
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 October 2014, 02:22:13 by -blind »

Offline Krizie

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 04:48:33 »
Melissa from SP got in touch regarding the font used and it looks positive.
"The font will be our standard Signature Plastics or Wyse type font - the sizes are ok, which I think is what makes this set look unique, but the type should maybe be closer to Ariel..."

Hopefully this wont put people off, ill see if I can put together a mockup using Arial at some point today.
|

Offline Data

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 08:04:06 »
I suspected that would be the case.  No worries, still planning to get this one.  Thanks for the update Krizie.

Offline soymic

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 21:01:23 »
Any news about the tsangan set?

Offline ArchieTect

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 22:10:35 »
Using my first post to say i'm in on this. Good Luck :thumb:

Did any recent GB have the Signature Plastic font? Would like to research what that looks like.
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 October 2014, 22:16:06 by ArchieTect »

Offline Data

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 08:00:07 »
It's Gorton Modified; a sans-serif font similar to Arial and Helvetica.

http://www.keycapsdirect.com/faq.php#15

Look in their keyshop if you want to see samples of keys using the in-house font.

Offline Data

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 04 November 2014, 10:18:47 »
Krizie...  There doesn't seem to be a lot of interest building here.  This set is definitely being held back by an inaccurate mock-up.  What can we do?

Edit: Wording may have been too strong there.  It might be held back by the mock-up.  Something about the presentation isn't what it could be.  That's what I meant to say.
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 November 2014, 12:57:09 by Data »

Offline Zebadule

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 21:47:42 »
I just happened to click on the IC for this again, and I swear it looks completely different!

I'm really liking the looks, but the lack of homing keys is a bummer. If there's any way for a homing pack with colemak keys to be added, I can promise to go in for two base sets. Not sure if that's possible/worth it for you, but it'd get things a little closer to tipping.

Offline ItsWhatIDo

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 18:56:01 »
I'm not familiar with group buys. I purchased base and orange mods. Will this happen no matter how many people order? Or does it need 25 total within the posted time period, and any orders that hit checkpoints beyond that lower the cost?

Offline Zebadule

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 09 November 2014, 22:39:55 »
I'm not familiar with group buys. I purchased base and orange mods. Will this happen no matter how many people order? Or does it need 25 total within the posted time period, and any orders that hit checkpoints beyond that lower the cost?

The second of the things you said. It looks like the organizer for this group buy went MIA, so I'm not optimistic about it succeeding at this point.
This color combination has a lot of potential though; I really hope someone tries something similar in the future.

Offline ItsWhatIDo

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 00:39:01 »

The second of the things you said. It looks like the organizer for this group buy went MIA, so I'm not optimistic about it succeeding at this point.
This color combination has a lot of potential though; I really hope someone tries something similar in the future.

that sucks. I'm pretty pumped for this, and I want it to happen. *sigh* need to find places to advertise this at I guess lol

Offline Data

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 15:46:11 »
No activity from Krizie since 2014-11-04, 05:30:30.  His last post on the forums was on 10/23.  It's not looking good, fellas.