geekhack Community > Ergonomics

VHD Designer Keyboard is better than 98% of split board?

<< < (2/10) > >>

vexchow:

--- Quote from: jamster on Thu, 06 August 2020, 02:20:16 ---I could be wrong, but BT split concave cases seem to be very rare. A significant premium for BT doesn't seem unreasonable.

--- End quote ---

I believe wireless devices is the future.
And all the final version products will become wireless.
So, I designed Designer Keyboard, split bluetooth and concave case.

Some people know the cost of split bluetooth and concave are expensive.
That's why they said the pre-order price is cheap.

--- Quote from: jamster on Thu, 06 August 2020, 02:20:16 ---More to the point though is whether there is demand for wireless in this already sub, sub niche of the keyboard market. BT seems to be a popular thing that people keep asking for in the mech board market,
but when I started a thread several months ago asking whether people really use their small keyboards in a portable fashion, only one person mentioned that they really required portability. The rest of the respondents were firmly deskbound to one location. This led me to conclude that people clamouring for Bluetooth are more interested in aesthetics than really needing the functionality to carry around and use with phones or tablets, so paying an extra $150 or so might not make sense for many prospective buyers.

--- End quote ---

Alright, Bluetooth is not only good for travel.
For example, Designer Keyboard can connect to most bluetooth products, such as iphone, ipad, mac, E-ink-reader and TV.
And easy switching to connected devices.
Wired devices make your desk messy, bluetooth keep a neat desk.

The split design keeps wrists at a neutral angle.
Also creates a golden space for your notebook, document and coffee ... etc.

You see, split bluetooth is powerful!

--- Quote from: jamster on Thu, 06 August 2020, 02:20:16 ---The design with the rests for other devices is definitely very cool.

--- End quote ---

Thanks, haha :thumb:

vexchow:
Hi Jerry,

I know your points are reasonable but sorry I don't reply to it one by one.
I try to make it simple, so I made a table for comparing split ergo keyboards on the market.

I try to make a beautiful, powerful, comfortable... and off course good price keyboard for user.
I hope you love it.

If you don't, I will keep work hard and improve my design.
Maybe one day you will love it. :thumb:

-Jerry-:
Yes, I noticed that on your web page, though I can't seem to find it now, so thank you for providing it.

I notice that some of the things you've put there are extremely subjective and are definitely what I'd call marketing speak .

'Beautiful Form Design' - I find particularly weird, I'd say that the the Keyboardio has a particularly beautiful wooden form and the Ergogox Ez is pretty nice on the eyes. Why the X for them?

Thin Edge Slim - Compared to what? The Keymouse has almost no edge and the Ergogox's wrist wrest is the same rough shape as yours. Why the X for them?

Pro Stand For Other Devices - Sure, but this is a unique feature, so it's not really a fair thing to put on a comparison. Also, according to your website, those are 'optional' so I assume they cost extra and therefore shouldn't be included as part of a price comparison.

Two-Handed Work Style - This seems pretty unspecific. I'm using a two handed work style typing on a 60% board right now, in fact I almost always use two hands. Are the Ergodox or Keyboardio Model 01 not two handed? Maybe you mean that you don't ever have to take your hands off? Well then the Keymouse is definitely two-handed in that case. Also, since you have to buy your pro stand AND provide your own mouse or trackpad, you can't really offer that as a selling point in a price/feature comparison.

Switching To Connected Devices - You don't really expand on this, so I assume you mean that the BT chip can store five different device profiles? Fair enough, that's a good feature. There's not really any reason the Keymouse can't be connected to from any device though.

I'd argue that you also highlight unique features about your board, while not indicating anything that those boards have that yours doesn't. Things like LEDs might not be important to you, but the Model 01 and the Ergodox Ez both feature those and that is arguably a part of their value. In fact, if you're not putting that on the chart, the Ergodox Ez should be $325, not $354. For that price, the Ergodox also has adjustable tenting, rather than a fixed angle, so that's worth mentioning, I feel.

I'm not in any way criticising the design of you board, I think you've done great work designing it, have come up with a great website, and are clearly good at marketing it. I just feel that it's important to be transparent about things and not go too heavy on those kinds of comparisons that aren't entirely fair or honest, in my opinion. Tables like that, skewed in a positive fashion towards your product without highlighting any positives of any of the others may be good marketing, but it doesn't seem very classy.

Edit: Also, just because I'm still curious, you didn't answer how the two halves communicate with each other, can you explain?

Maledicted:

--- Quote from: vexchow on Thu, 06 August 2020, 15:37:17 ---I believe wireless devices is the future.

--- End quote ---

And I do not. If anything would be for me, it would be RF, since I can just plug in a dongle and go. Even then I need to worry about recharging some battery that will eventually fail and need replacing, which may be some kind of proprietary unobtainium pack of cells you may end up having to try to desolder yourself and rebuild. Bluetooth pairing is a hassle, switching between devices once paired is really the only significant benefit if you ask me.

Logitech's unifying receivers are probably my favorite for wireless peripherals, since you can mix and match whatever you like, configure once, and swap to whatever computers you like from there so long as you keep the dongle with those same peripherals.

At the end of the day, I will always prefer just plugging in a cable and using the board they way it is for 10+ years.

This reminds me of the people who said smartphones would replace computers, touchscreens would replace traditional peripherals, etc. There were even people who said that laser-projected keyboards would replace physical ones. Some things are just already better the way that they are.

Also, bluetooth communication was already a cheap feature of just about anything 10+ years ago. If it isn't, it is just markup. Supply and demand may justify that to some, not to me.

Just an outsider's opinion. I don't even care about ergo boards. The board looks cool. I wish you luck.  :thumb:

Polymer:
I like the design...I think you're filling in a niche where a few people would really like something like this...

But it is expensive...I'm sure there are some things that make it expensive but it'll be tough for people to risk it unless they know it'll work out for them..and that's a big unknown. 

So you take an unknown company making what looks like a cool keyboard but no way of knowing if you'll really like it (and if you're selling it that means no).   And when someone said it was a 3D printed case it was like meh...

But I do hope this works out for you...this is one of those things I'd love to try out and if it worked out I'd definitely be interested in buying one.....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version