Author Topic: Are SSK switches different to Full Size Ms?  (Read 2233 times)

Offline sebk

Are SSK switches different to Full Size Ms?
« on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 13:24:41 »
I've finally acquired an SSK and compared to my big model Ms the feel is noticeably different. It feels like the keypress is a significantly lighter. Having said that, the SSK has much more use than my other Ms. Is there such a thing as wear on the springs? I think it's unlikely since all keys feel the same on the SSK.

Are different springs used on SSKs? Is there a mod which makes the keys slightly easier to press? What else could be the reason for the difference in activation force in my SSK compared to the other Ms?

Cheers.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: Are SSK switches different to Full Size Ms?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 13:25:14 »
I've typed on both, they're the same to me.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 13:27:17 »
Depending on the condition of your rivets in your M and SSK, it can change the feeling of your BS boards. Also bolt modding can change how your board feels.

My SSK pre and post bolt modded felt COMPLETELY different. And it feels different from this terminal M I have.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 13:27:33 »
Different years and different factories ended with different feeling actuation between multiple Model M boards. There is also the possibility one was bolt modded. Or one has broken rivets. Many things can change the feel.

Offline sebk

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 13:33:29 »
Interesting. I really like the feel of the SSK so if I could, I would try to replicate it on my big Ms. Most of the mods I've seen were concerned with noise though hence the question if there is a mod to achieve the slightly lighter touch...

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 13:36:06 »
Could always keep your SSK as-is then tune a bolt mod to your tastes.

Offline aref

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 18:54:59 »

Exactly. Bolt mods have to be tuned to the user's feel. CPTBadAss speaks the truth.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 23 May 2014, 05:41:03 »
One big factor affecting the feel in the weight of the keyboard behind the keys.  An older Model M is going to have heftier components all around, and the keys will feel different than a newer model produced in the mid 90's or a Unicomp model, for example.  In general, I find that the heavier the Model M, the lighter the keys will feel because those keys are sitting on top heftier components, which gives you a more solid base to type on.

And with SSK's, there is a lot less weight in the keyboard, so I would not expect it to feel the same as a full-size Model M.

Also, as mentioned before, the condition of the rivets will have an effect on the feel of the keyboard.  Loose rivets will make it harder to actuate some keys.  Send that keyboard to an experienced bolt modder, or learn to do it yourself to preserve that Model M for the next generation.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline sebk

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 23 May 2014, 08:44:26 »
Interesting. My "Big Ms" are in pretty good shape, one came still in the box that IBM had used to send it. It wasn't brand new but definitely had not seen much action. I have one M which is faulty so that will be my first Bolt Mod attempt for the upcoming holidays :)

Crazy how they simply but a stamp on the Box and sent it over from the UK. Now Amazon quadruple wraps everything. I guess Ms can handle it ;)
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 May 2014, 08:46:26 by sebk »

Offline 1391406

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 00:01:10 »
It's probably no different than the standard variation one finds amongst Model M's in general. Even my two Model F terminal boards (manufactured the same year) have different actuation levels.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 00:47:49 »
The Model M I've bought feels massively different to a terminal M we have at work. It's probably because I bought a ****ty old one that hasn't been looked after, and some of the keys are really hard to press :(
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 08:39:59 »
It's probably no different than the standard variation one finds amongst Model M's in general.

Every M/F I have ever used (at least a couple of dozen) has been different. It is really kind of amazing and puzzling.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 08:48:51 »
as fohat says, the different model numbers and production batches of Ms and SSK Ms all have slightly different qualities in their switches, largely due to running changes in materials and build, but the short answer is that yes, SSKs have the same switch technology as Ms

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 10:45:20 »

Exactly. Bolt mods have to be tuned to the user's feel. CPTBadAss speaks the truth.

HOw do you do tuning? I mean, the whole board is either 'just tight enough' or not. You can't tighten or loosen too much or else kb won't work properly.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 11:14:15 »

How do you do tuning? I mean, the whole board is either 'just tight enough' or not.

Not true at all. Each bolt can be tightened or loosened individually.

It is quite common to have some or all of the board near-perfect, and one or more keys "off" or not working at all.

Like tuning an instrument, different areas are put into various states of tension and compression.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 11:34:23 »
I have several 101-M and SSK boards. Each one has a unique personality. Note that the deterioration of the plastic rivets is probably more a function of age than of use. Therefore, even a NIB Model M might benefit from a bolt mod. My least-favorite IBM board in terms of sound and feel is the 122-key Model M -- the aircraft carrier of the Model M fleet. The 122-key definitely needs a bolt mod.

Recently, I have been using IBM Model F keyboards, and I much prefer the capacitive buckling springs over the membrane buckling springs used in the Model M boards. The Model F boards include the "Kishsaver", XT, AT, and 122-key Model F. I am typing this on an XT, which has become my new daily driver. The Model F boards do not have rivets, although some people install a few bolts in the 122-key if they do a mod that involves separating the metal plates to change the layout.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 20:09:04 »
Of my two Model M, one feels tight and mostly consistent across the board.  The other one feels loose and inconsistent across the board.  The loose one I know has lost at least a dozen rivets, and is probably hanging out for a bolt mod.  The other one I haven't dared to open yet, but there is nothing rattling around inside so I'm guessing it is mostly fine.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ