Author Topic: help fix leaning cherry space bar  (Read 6042 times)

Offline typo

help fix leaning cherry space bar
« on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 18:26:47 »
I have a well used deck legend frost clear. I always hit the space bar on the right. now it is tilted to the right. higher on the left. how can I fix it?

thanks

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: help fix leaning cherry space bar
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 18:50:18 »
You might need to check the stabilizers.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 18:53:40 »
pull it off and reseat it. You may have just put it off center by hitting the ends too hard

Offline typo

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 19:07:47 »
yeah I am sure that is it. there is one problem. if I pull any harder with the key puller something is going to break. the left switch it is stuck on the post for some reason. for right now my lousy fix is to not press it all the way on the right switch post. luckily I am by both tg3 and cherry. so before I break something I guess I better see if I can stop in either one Tuesday. they are both pretty nice so I bet they will fix something that simple while I wait. I just don't know why it won't come off. it is not the stabilizer holding it but the switch plunger. I probably should have said that first. thank you for replying though.

btw, this thing is so good. apparently the spacebar is abs. it has thousands of hours on it and is not one bit shiny. I have actually worn out a realforce lol.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 20:23:03 »
To remove a space bar, I remove the keys either side, and then very gently wriggle the space bar up by lifting alternate ends very slightly.

If yours is already raised on one side, that stabiliser has probably already popped out.

Do these have Costar or Cherry stabilisers?  If Costar, you can put a bit of tape, or plastic sandwich bag, over the stem under the space bar before you reinsert the stabiliser insert - should stop it from falling out again too quickly.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline typo

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 21:04:38 »
it appears the left plunger is on so good that it will require enough force to probably break something. I better not make any more attempts. the stabilizer is fully seated. it is not costar. the board is made in Kenosha Wisconsin,usa. well they were. the new ones are overseas. I can just bring it to them because this is something like a nos model m. I mean not something I wish to break.

i just can't seem to get it off the plunger. usually pretty easy. the stabilizer must be bent. on the right where i hit it there is a lot of play but not on the left. the left oddly is the side that will not come off. i have an idea though. if i remove the left alt i can use my finger. if it feels like too much i am going to quit while i am ahead.

Offline typo

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 21:28:09 »
I got it off! that was scary. so it turns out there is no stabilizer! there is a non moving dummy post on the left and right and the switch is in the middle. crummy design or innovative design? anyways, once I put it back on it is much better. I guess it just needed to be reseated. so all of you were right with your ideas.

thank you for the advice guys. it was taking off the alt and fn and using the puller in combination with my fingers that did it. it still has play but with no stabilizer I guess that is the nature of this beast. at least it sits level now. man I was breaking a sweat. both that I did not want to break this and the force required!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 21:35:27 »
I got it off! that was scary. so it turns out there is no stabilizer! there is a non moving dummy post on the left and right and the switch is in the middle. crummy design or innovative design? anyways, once I put it back on it is much better. I guess it just needed to be reseated. so all of you were right with your ideas.

thank you for the advice guys. it was taking off the alt and fn and using the puller in combination with my fingers that did it. it still has play but with no stabilizer I guess that is the nature of this beast. at least it sits level now. man I was breaking a sweat. both that I did not want to break this and the force required!

Nice to hear!

The first few times you remove a keycap are always the worst, after that is just become routine.

Make sure you have a good wire keycap puller if you are going to remove many keycaps :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline typo

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 22:57:54 »
thanks. I have a good puller. I have removed caps before but hardly ever do. this keyboard is my dream. I have had it a few years already. I watched them make mine.  I did find it odd there is no stabilizer. being a handmade $225 cherry board I am sure they thought it was better. I am so happy I fixed it. they even made me a custom esc key.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 23:24:49 »
thanks. I have a good puller. I have removed caps before but hardly ever do. this keyboard is my dream. I have had it a few years already. I watched them make mine.  I did find it odd there is no stabilizer. being a handmade $225 cherry board I am sure they thought it was better. I am so happy I fixed it. they even made me a custom esc key.

You watched them make it?  Did you tour the factory?

Offline typo

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 00:38:43 »
well he showed me around the place. it is not really a factory per se. they have a design team. then there are a few machines that make the ds/dyesub caps. then a injection machine that makes the case. a machine that etches the plate. then there people that stand at a long table and solder them together. the keys come from cherry down the street with the leds already on them. except the space bar they solder the leds to the plate. getting custom caps is a huge order but he was nice and did me one. I have also been to cherry but the factory is in Germany. they just have offices and a warehouse in Kenosha. both companies have real nice people and I have just gone back to visit a few times because the deck guys are gamers. now they have so many orders for tg3 products deck had to have them made overseas. according to them when they were made in Kenosha they lost money on every one sold. I can believe that. with the caps it takes about a day to make one. tg3 products are still custom made there.

other than Korean customs I think this is the finest cherry board. I like it much better than realforce. even the whole case is pbt. it is a flat profile and I like that. so is my realforce. when it was made here they actually encouraged people to take it apart and mod it. when it was made here I thought it was really unique. the new ones do more stuff for gaming but I am sure they are mass produced. something really unique is the police car board with the splash guard. it is like a cross between topre and cherry feel. before I got this I had a cherry board,steel series and das. for one thing I like the clears much better than the blues. I use a topre all 55g so I like them heavier. they do not click like blues but they are plenty clacky.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 01:35:40 »
Sweet :)

THanks for the details!