Author Topic: I have some questions about "capacitive keyboards"  (Read 1564 times)

Offline weqinoran

I have some questions about "capacitive keyboards"
« on: Sat, 22 July 2023, 02:23:01 »
I don't know much approximately keyboards, however i am interested by complete 6KRO and NKRO and i heard approximately "capacitive keyboards". I've a few questions that I attempted to look up but I couldn't discover the solution so i'm able to ask right here.

I've study that "capacitive keyboards" absolutely keep away from the trouble of ghosting. Does this mean that in addition they have 6KRO/NKRO by default?

I would love to know some examples of capacitive keyboards. I realize that there may be Topre which has their personal patented type. I would like to pay attention approximately other examples due to the fact I couldn't discover any.

This I randomly discovered while searching up NKRO keyboards. This "KB-801N", I couldn't discover any reviews, so I do not know if it is reliable. It says it is a "capacity keyboard". Is that this a capacitive keyboard? I noticed it's far very compact. I do not assume i can purchase it, but i'm simply nonetheless curious.

Are there any laptops with NKRO, which includes from a "capacitive keyboard"? Wouldn't it even be possible to fabricate the sort of pc? This is the most crucial question.

The cause I ask is that I want to buy a excessive-give up computer but I hesitate due to the fact they've bad keyboards, and if it's miles viable to make one with at least 6KRO then i will see if i will ship remarks to producers. The sensation is a low priority for me. Buying an outside keyboard may be a final hotel because i'm able to tour with my laptop and i might prefer to have one less element to hold round and plug in.

Offline Findecanor

Re: I have some questions about "capacitive keyboards"
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 22 July 2023, 07:48:11 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

I've study that "capacitive keyboards" absolutely keep away from the trouble of ghosting. Does this mean that in addition they have 6KRO/NKRO by default?
Capacitive keyboards don't need anti-ghosting, no, so they will have 6KRO or NKRO by default.

Keyboards with electric switches use diodes or "blocking" for anti-ghosting: blocking limits key rollover to 2 (worst case on the keyboard).
(Keyboards with actual ghosting are very rare to find: they disappeared with the 8-bit home computer era.)

There have been some Topre clones out there. If it is labeled as "capacitive" and it has Cherry MX-compatible keycaps, then it could be and they would be worth checking out more info about it

You could also look at keyboards with "hall effect" switches and "optical" switches. Those also tend to have a smooth feel and not need any diodes for anti-ghosting.
Most of these have linear feel, whereas Topre are tactile like rubber domes — because they are, only very nice ones. The lighter Topre switches feel closer to linear.

This "KB-801N", I couldn't discover any reviews, so I do not know if it is reliable. It says it is a "capacity keyboard". Is that this a capacitive keyboard?
No. "Capacity" is used as a brand name, apparently.

Are there any laptops with NKRO, which includes from a "capacitive keyboard"? Wouldn't it even be possible to fabricate the sort of pc? This is the most crucial question.
There are some laptops "for gaming" that have mechanical gaming keyboards, so I assume that those would have 6KRO/NKRO.
Those tend to be quite large, heavy and expensive though.
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 July 2023, 07:34:37 by Findecanor »

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 24 July 2023, 19:30:56 »
I don't know much approximately keyboards, however i am interested by complete 6KRO and NKRO and i heard approximately "capacitive keyboards". I've a few questions that I attempted to look up but I couldn't discover the solution so i'm able to ask right here.

If you are talking about EC [electro-capacitative] keyboards, they are fairly commonly-available. [*When compared with obscure, out-of-production keyboards.]

Topre is the fancy one. Only made by a company HQed in Japan. You can buy the branded 'Japanese' Topre boards, or try ones made by a solid partner like Leopold.

A more accessible point of entry are Niz keyboards. They are a Topre-like keyboard made in China. They aren't built to as high a spec, and are cheaper. There used to be the ABKO Niz boards, which seemed built better.

Any Niz or Topre board should be suitable for gaming, as they will have multi-key rollover.*

I don't know much about the "KB-801N." It seems to be a scissor-switch or rubber-dome keyboard with multi-key rollover. It may be suitable for your needs, but I don't think it's EC.

If you want laptops with NKRO, you can buy one with an integrated mechanical gaming keyboard. These are often Cherry-style keyboards, not EC. But they will be suitable for gaming.

If you search on Reddit under MechMarket, you can probably find used Topre and Niz keyboards for sale. Some of them are very gently used, and good deals. Something like a used Leopold FC660C or similar would be great, if undamaged. You can also buy Niz or BKE domes from certain retailers in small packages, which will give you an indication of what those keyboards feel like.

People who tour with laptops often purchase Leopold FC660C.

*EC boards often have 6KRO. Keyboards based on MX switch designs can be found with NKRO.
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 July 2023, 19:38:37 by HungerMechanic »

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 24 July 2023, 19:45:07 »
Topre keyboards inherently have the ability for NKRO. The design of the EC switches enables NKRO.

However, there is a barrier in the form of the USB interface. The USB limits the Topre keyboard to 6KRO when communicating with the computer. You would have to use something other than USB in order to achieve NKRO with a PC, and non-USB Topre keyboards are not commonly available.

I have read that software updates may have enabled NKRO with Topre keyboards via USB, but I am not sure. I don't own any Topre keyboards right now, only one Niz.

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 24 July 2023, 20:11:42 »
If you search on Reddit under MechMarket, you can probably find used Topre and Niz keyboards for sale. Some of them are very gently used, and good deals. Something like a used Leopold FC660C or similar would be great, if undamaged. You can also buy Niz or BKE domes from certain retailers in small packages, which will give you an indication of what those keyboards feel like.

Another thing to mention is that if you are looking for good deals on topre boards, another place to search is japanese marketplaces, which can have great deals and is certainly better than buying new from amazon.