Author Topic: What did you purchase/trade for today?  (Read 30675 times)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: What did you purchase/trade for today?
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 19:55:42 »
Coming soon...Leslieann's Custom Case Shop :)
Unfortunately, it's not as cheap as people think to make larger stuff (plastic is $25 a pound plus machine time). I do want to see about making some decent GH60 cases. I have a few ideas for other things as well. 

Where it becomes a real benefit to the community is special one off items, and testing designs before they are send off to a machinist to be done in aluminum.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 20:02:06 »
3d printing is cool for prototyping, but it really isn't a replacement for a finished good especially at the hobbyist end of the spectrum
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 20:25:10 »
Just ordered several hundred dollars worth of plastic, belts, motors and electronics...

It's the basis of my 3d printer, capable of printing up to 400mm objects.

Why pay $40 for a GH60 case when you can pay lots more and make one yourself! ;D
Actually, 400mm is large enough for all but full size cases.

I'm jelly donuts right now.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 21:18:35 »
3d printing is cool for prototyping, but it really isn't a replacement for a finished good especially at the hobbyist end of the spectrum
It's still very much in it's infancy, in car terms, we aren't even at the Model T yet, but that is what makes it exciting.

You might be surprised at the finishes you can achieve if you want it. The problem is how much time, money and effort it takes to get that finish, and how much detail you will get along with it. For those reasons, you won't see it replace injection molding anytime soon, however, there are a few warehouses already full of them cranking out products that don't need that level of detail and finish and items that can't be made using other methods.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 05:46:43 »
wow Leslieann, you got a 3d printer? How much did it all cost you? This could be very useful :D

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 05:54:18 »
My body is ready for a makerbot on GH! Cannot wait to see what comes out of the LeslieAnn Laboratory :D

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 07:58:00 »
Got my folks an eGfit card to longhorn steakhouse for their 25th wedding anniversary! :cool:

Offline jcrouse

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 08:25:22 »
Nice. Longhorn is my favorite chain steak house, along with Logan's Roadhouse. Their fillet is awesome.

John

PS ... My avviversary is next week  :)

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 08:36:20 »
Happy early anniversary to you and your wife! How many years, if you don't mind my asking?

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #59 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 10:30:34 »
It's still very much in it's infancy, in car terms, we aren't even at the Model T yet, but that is what makes it exciting.

You might be surprised at the finishes you can achieve if you want it. The problem is how much time, money and effort it takes to get that finish, and how much detail you will get along with it. For those reasons, you won't see it replace injection molding anytime soon, however, there are a few warehouses already full of them cranking out products that don't need that level of detail and finish and items that can't be made using other methods.

Don't get me wrong, I love 3d prints. But at this time, they're no replacement for finished consumer goods

Good luck getting everything setup just right. My friend spent months getting everything setup just right to where he was getting consistent prints every time (or with minimal adjustment)

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #60 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 10:40:10 »
Happy early anniversary to you and your wife! How many years, if you don't mind my asking?
Agreed, congrats!

Offline Lowconabarth

« Reply #61 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 10:57:34 »
I purchased 2 Foscam F18906 W outdoor security cameras and do not have a clue how to hook up and use. They are suppose to be able to view from remote location. Problem is where I want to install there is no cable system available. I was thinking of a mobile hotspot but that might cost to much because of the amount of data. What do you guys recommend?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 18:14:47 »
wow Leslieann, you got a 3d printer? How much did it all cost you? This could be very useful :D
Most of the older style printers (Prusa, Mendel, Reprap, Makerbot, etc...) can now be built for as little as $400. Considering how well documented these are, and that you can occasionally even pick up used ones for that, it's a fairly good estimate. These are what most people are talking about when they talk about cheap 3d printers. These are still improving, but the pace has slowed dramatically, they face a design limitation in terms of precision. Remember, these were meant to be cheap and easily made.

Now, while you may think $400 isn't bad, but keep in mind that it can take months to get them sorted, and many, many people flat out give up before they get them working well, some before they even have all of the parts (you can get good deals that way). So while it may "only" be a few hundred dollars, it can be money down the drain.

This is the typical print quality you get for the above printers and what The_Beast is referring to. There are ways to smooth out the print so it looks better but they can be difficult, time consuming and sometimes risky. (Photo by bilsef on Thingiverse)

Mine is a newer Delta style, and while a typical model can be done for a little over $500, getting you similar or slightly better prints than the above picture (at faster rates). Unlike the older printers, these respond to upgrades better, most start out basic and then upgrade it as they can and as people find better ways to do things. Instead of buying basic then upgrading (a waste of money), I'm taking advantage of their knowledge and investing in the better parts from the start. I'm in for around $450 and I figure it will be another $200 or more in bearings, framework and extruder before I'm ready to buy the plastic to make something. 

This is what my goal is for print quality (nearly identical machine to mine), those ridges are nearly paper thin, and minor finish work should result in a perfectly smooth finish. (photo by Flateric on SeeMeCNC)
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 May 2013, 18:18:11 by Leslieann »
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 19:16:44 »
Can you print me one of this on your 3D printer?

Keyboardless

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #64 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 19:19:06 »

One shot only, more a example of what 3d printers can do rather than a usable gun

and yes I've seen the 3d printed AR lower

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #65 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 19:21:12 »
Print your own magazines!!

« Last Edit: Tue, 07 May 2013, 19:23:06 by mmmty »
Keyboardless

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #66 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 19:29:12 »
No.

First off, in order to sell it, you need a firearms manufacturers license.
Then there is the fact that it's only designed to be used one time, and often breaks when you do. It's probably only lethal from about 4 feet as well (the barrel is 1/4in and really just the shell casing). It's almost as lethal to the person firing it, as it is to the target. That gun was meant as a technological demonstrator, it's not a real gun in the traditional sense.

There is also the matter of price... Most people are charging a $25 setup fee, plus $10-$15 an hour machine time, and that would likely take around 15 hours. So your cheap, one time use gun would cost you at least $175 plus shipping (disregarding the firearms manufacturer license). You can buy a used gun and ammunition for that and it will actually shoot the entire box and then some.

Mostly though, I'm just not going there.  If you want a gun, go through a background check and buy a gun the right way. Preferably one that won't kill you.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 May 2013, 19:31:33 by Leslieann »
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #67 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 19:31:09 »
No.

First off, in order to sell it, you need a firearms manufacturers license.
Then there is the fact that it's only designed to be used one time, and often breaks when you do. It's probably only lethal from about 4 feet as well (the barrel is 1/4in and really just the shell casing). It's almost as lethal to the person firing it, as it is to the target.

There is also the matter of price... Most people are charging a $25 setup fee, plus $10-$15 an hour machine time, and that would likely take around 15 hours. So your cheap, one time use gun would cost you about $175 plus shipping (disregarding the firearms manufacturer license). You can buy a used gun and ammunition for that and it will actually shoot the entire box and then some.

Mostly though, I'm just not going there.  If you want a gun, go through a background check and buy a gun the right way. Preferably one that won't kill you.

I thought the print time on the little one was around an 2 hours. The lower would easily be 15 hours, maybe even a day depending on the printer

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #68 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 19:32:51 »
I thought the print time on the little one was around an 2 hours. The lower would easily be 15 hours, maybe even a day depending on the printer
Honestly, I haven't looked at the internals. Print time also depends on desired finish.

Even if it was $45 to make, it's still $45 per shot with a high risk of personal injury.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #69 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 19:35:18 »
Honestly, I haven't looked at the internals. Print time also depends on desired finish.

Even if it was $45 to make, it's still $45 per shot with a high risk of personal injury.

I understand. There's no way I'd print a gun for use (I'd do it for fun/never to use) if I did have a 3d printer just on liability alone

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #70 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 19:42:46 »
F*ck guns, I wanna see custom cases and caps and other accessories I never even dreamed of :D

Btw LeslieAnn, my coworkers run the SLA Printers at my workplace. If you need me to ask questions, let me know.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #71 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 19:47:00 »
I understand. There's no way I'd print a gun for use (I'd do it for fun/never to use) if I did have a 3d printer just on liability alone
I get why they are doing it, I just wish people were more informed about the legalities and risks involved.

It's become way over sensationalized.
The only thing this really effects is manufacturers, who are the ones behind most of the uproar.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
« Reply #72 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 20:12:40 »
Found and bought an 8x8 Tipro MID matrix board today. I'm not sure what I'll use it for, but I'll definitely give it a sweet new look! Hopefully I can use the controller to fix up my 16x8 matrix that is currently not programmable.
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #73 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 20:49:28 »
I guess I'll just stick with my regular guns.
Keyboardless

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #74 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 00:33:45 »
i guess im the only one that took it as a joke?

they dont understand your sense of humor mmmty :(
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #75 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 00:47:19 »
mmmty likes guns mmmk?

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: Re: What did you purchase/trade for today?
« Reply #76 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 01:16:02 »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #77 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 08:07:07 »
Had to buy a new set of cordless phones for home, we still use our landline quite a bit and of the three handsets we had, one kid dropped on in the toilet, another washed one in the sink and the third one well.....we can't even find it.

Also about half a dozen of my subscribe and save items just hit renewal.

Offline TreeSc2

« Reply #78 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 15:46:37 »
I'm trying to purchae and trade today but it says that i do not have enough posts to do SO!

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #79 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 15:47:34 »
I'm trying to purchae and trade today but it says that i do not have enough posts to do SO!

So that's why there is an influx of smiley faces...

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #80 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 15:48:58 »

So that's why there is an influx of smiley faces...

Took for him to say that for you to notice? Sloooow moooose

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #81 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 15:57:47 »
No, I saw it. But for all I know, he just liked to smile a lot. Who am I to judge? But when a person comes right out and says it, that's a different story. And maybe others didn't see it, so thought I'd point it out is all. Moose are only slow until you piss them off. Remember that.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #83 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 16:32:20 »
Double shot alps keyboard with white alps for my korean alps keyboard

"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline TreeSc2

« Reply #84 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 07:38:16 »
Just bought a Ducky dk9067 TK Purple Led with cherry mx reds should be here by tuesday! very excitedd :)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #85 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 16:30:57 »
More 3d printer bits....

I'm down to just needing general hardware bits (screws, nuts, bolts) and some wood now, I should have all of the parts by middle of next week, though I think my mail lady hates me now.

Don't believe it when they say you can build one for $500 (unless you are talking Euros). I'm not saying you can't but you will be cutting some important corners and replacing parts very soon or you have someone flowing you some quite expensive parts for nothing. The kits for sale that seem over priced compared to build your own, aren't nearly as over priced as you might initially think. Save yourself the headaches and hassle and go that route. You will eat up a lot of that difference in shipping, and all of it in research.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #86 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 16:32:32 »
More 3d printer bits....

I'm down to just needing general hardware bits (screws, nuts, bolts) and some wood now, I should have all of the parts by middle of next week, though I think my mail lady hates me now.

Don't believe it when they say you can build one for $500 (unless you are talking Euros). I'm not saying you can't but you will be cutting some important corners and replacing parts very soon or you have someone flowing you some quite expensive parts for nothing. The kits for sale that seem over priced compared to build your own, aren't nearly as over priced as you might initially think. Save yourself the headaches and hassle and go that route. You will eat up a lot of that difference in shipping, and all of it in research.

One of the professors at school found a printer online for $400. Worked out of the box but needed a lot of adjustment. However the print area is only 5"x5"x5"

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #87 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 05:14:42 »
One of the professors at school found a printer online for $400. Worked out of the box but needed a lot of adjustment. However the print area is only 5"x5"x5"
I'm going to go out on a leaf here and say it was used.
It usually takes about $300 just for the motors and control board, and there is a whole lot more to get.

More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #88 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 12:06:24 »
I'm going to go out on a leaf here and say it was used.
It usually takes about $300 just for the motors and control board, and there is a whole lot more to get.

It was a Gen1 without the protective sides (which were $100) http://store.solidoodle.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=56

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #89 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 12:08:41 »
I quite like those 3D printers. My dad has access to an SLA machine, so I've been meaning to ask if I could use it to create a case, but just haven't gotten that far.

Offline foxer

• Formerly wadeu
« Reply #90 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 12:30:18 »
So, how far did you get? "Dad, can I" then just went back to your room? o_o
Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #91 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 13:08:17 »
So, how far did you get? "Dad, can I" then just went back to your room? o_o
Naw just haven't asked. Been busy with school.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #92 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 13:12:02 »
One of my favorite bands, the Acacia Strain, put my hometown on a shirt of theirs. I never bought a shirt so fast in my life....well except for the Albany Hardcore shirt Born Low sells.

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #93 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 14:31:02 »
Oh yes, it will be mine!
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #94 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 14:31:38 »
yesterday i purchased 2 claxx!

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #95 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 14:33:05 »
yesterday i purchased 2 claxx!

moneybags!

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #96 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 16:56:24 »
It was a Gen1 without the protective sides (which were $100) http://store.solidoodle.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=56
Oh okay, new old stock. They seem to be phasing out the second gen at this point as well.

Those are all based on the older Cartesian design, that was one of the original designs for printers, and it's a simpler system to get dialed in since each axis is handled separately. The newer Deltas are more fickle to tune, but generally offer equal or better speed, accuracy and build volume, along with a smaller footprint.

I primarily wanted the extra build volume, but the second biggest factor was seeing how a Delta works. Not the best reasoning, but it was a newer design and one that is still making great strides in development (Cartesian development has slowed). The latest improvements on quality and speed killed any doubt about my choice. Even if it is 15% over budget.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #97 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 11:05:59 »
DT770M!

I'm afraid I have another addiction...

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #98 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 11:38:19 »
DT770M!

I had some of those once...if I remember they were super comfy.

For today I've just been giving stuff away!

Hoping to find some stuff I want but so far nope.

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #99 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 22:00:56 »
DT770M!

I agree. The more I read about headphones, the more I want... GH needs AA style meetings.  :))
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015