Author Topic: Keyboard Confessions - Post your keyboard confessions!  (Read 151151 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Re: Keyboard Confessions - Post your keyboard confessions!
« Reply #550 on: Thu, 13 July 2017, 00:55:13 »
for me it must have been over paying for a rusty, yes RUSTY dell at101w that was covered in food, literal chunks of food under the keycaps. to be precise, $50 or about £39. i did it because i lost about 5 dell at101w's in bidding and got so annoyed that instead of waiting, i bought it only to realize that if i simply typed at102 i would have found lots of cheaper ones from the UK with more appropriate english layouts  :blank: ...

Yikes, dude. You should hold out for an unused AT101W. Enough of them were made, and people are still sufficiently ignorant about them—perhaps because they have Windows keys, and to dealers that's usually a sign a KB isn't collectable—that they do do appear pretty cheaply now and then. I grabbed one for $35 shipped last year.

I accidentally dissolved a spacebar in EtOAc once xD .
Why did you put the spacebar in EtOAc?
I knocked the vial over and the spacebar was lying there and it dissolved half the top off it xD .

Take heart, dude. Chemist Charles Goodyear discovered synthetic rubber when he accidentally dropped some sulphur into something (it may have been a plum pudding). You could just as well have found a way to make new invulnerable spacebars that never got shiny. Well, it could be the next time... Don't stop trying!

For the longest time, I thought Chyros' username was spelled Chryos. :-X
You're not the only one, I must've seen at least a dozen people spell it like that :p .

The actual pronunciation of it is completely different from what almost everyone here will be expecting, too :p .

That's close, I expect most people to pronounce it closer to KAI-ros. It's actually pronounced "KHEE-ros" with "kh" being a hard G, the R a hard R (sounds a bit like a snarl), and the O short (doesn't like like the "oh" in double oh seven, but like the O in "pot").

About what I thought except for the "G" part. This is the Greek time god, isn't it?
No, that's Chronos. The G is similar to, but harsher than the Ch in Chronos.

Clearly there's enough interest and material to start a new thread on how people think Chyros's name is pronounced and how it's actually pronounced. Chyros could pretend to change the actual pronunciation from time to time just to keep everyone on their toes. Coy? Maybe, but it'd all be part of the legendary suavity, the mystique, the understated authority the MK world has come to adulate—in the form of the one, the only Chyros. (BTW, how do you pronounce that again?)
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #551 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 08:29:32 »
After 2+ years of perfect and firm GMK keycaps, I have a secret longing for flat and imperfect DSA's, and how soft they felt with lubed switches underneath them
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #552 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 16:06:58 »
My first keyboard is Das Keyboard 3 MX Brown because at the time it was the cheapest costar keyboard available, then later on I got a Filco ninja MX Red.

Fast forward maybe 8-10 keyboards later with different switches, korean springs, keycaps, form factor and different stabilizers.  I realize I still like my first 2 keyboards the best.  Not sure if it's different batch of MX Brown or maybe it's used but I haven't come across switches that smooth again.  Also after trying clipped Cherry stabs I still find myself liking costar stabs betyer, it's just buttery smooth after lubed.  I also couldn't use any other form factor because I use number pad a lot.  I also tried thick ABS / PBT but I find the stock thin ABS sort of have it's charm and it's a little bit more "clacky" than the thick keycaps.

Looking back, I probably could've saved myself a lot of money if I knew (like maybe $2500 down the line), but at the same time I'd never know until I try lol.  Now I went full circle and back to where I started.  Only thing I didn't regret trying is Topre, it's just different in its own way.

So I guess the journey is part of the fun (Just sucks for my wallet lol).  :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 August 2017, 16:09:22 by Hyde »

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #553 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 20:56:03 »
Back in 1999, I referred to a Key Tronic rubber dome keyboard as "clicky" on a big public message board.
I did not know better. What I really wanted to describe was that the tactile feel was good. A better word might have been "snappy".

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
« Reply #554 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 01:12:31 »
I also tried thick ABS / PBT but I find the stock thin ABS sort of have it's charm and it's a little bit more "clacky" than the thick keycaps.

Damn, I thought I was the only one who liked thin ABS :O
AMJ60 - 45g MX White | GH60 Rev. C - Ghost Gateron Blacks | DFK101 - Alps SKCM Cream | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL - 62g Vintage MX Ergo Clear

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #555 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 01:17:52 »
I also tried thick ABS / PBT but I find the stock thin ABS sort of have it's charm and it's a little bit more "clacky" than the thick keycaps.

Lol I know we're the rare breed.  I just find them "echo" better which translates to "more clacky".

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
« Reply #556 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 03:44:39 »

Lol I know we're the rare breed.  I just find them "echo" better which translates to "more clacky".

Yup. I love the sharp 'clack' it makes.
AMJ60 - 45g MX White | GH60 Rev. C - Ghost Gateron Blacks | DFK101 - Alps SKCM Cream | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL - 62g Vintage MX Ergo Clear

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #557 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 21:58:27 »
This one time, I was going to buy a Razor keyboard.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
« Reply #558 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 22:52:10 »

Yikes.

Offline 537Z3R

« Reply #559 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 01:45:42 »

You should have saved this one for the deathbed
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 August 2017, 09:48:48 by 537Z3R »

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #560 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 04:59:47 »
After 2+ years of perfect and firm GMK keycaps, I have a secret longing for flat and imperfect DSA's...

Maybe it'd suffice just to meet my wife's older sister.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline WhyYouLikeDis

« Reply #561 on: Mon, 21 August 2017, 01:43:17 »
Once I thought what it would be like to take a dremel to my keyboard case.

Ruined a spot of plastic so I went what the hell and took a wet sanding block and sanded the whole keyboard down to a nice matte texture.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #562 on: Mon, 21 August 2017, 14:40:56 »
I in poor practice often eat and drink beer, soda or whatever near my board and staying up past my bedtime doing whatever project I'm working on, fall asleep and spill my beverage and frack up the board and have to desolder everything and replace or clean the switches.  This has probably happened 5 times, well maybe more. At least once I've thrown it out and just bought a new one.  I've wisened up and haven't done this in a year.

Oh and of the 8 or 9 boards I own I only use two, the rest sit in storage.  I occasionally use them just so I don't feel guilty, but this last for only a day.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline zslane

« Reply #563 on: Mon, 21 August 2017, 15:10:55 »
I really hate cylindrical keycaps, but I just couldn't resist GMK Nautilus for some reason.  :-\

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #564 on: Mon, 21 August 2017, 15:52:25 »

Ruined a spot of plastic so I went what the hell and took a wet sanding block and sanded the whole keyboard down to a nice matte texture.

I recreationally sand a lot of things down to a nice matte texture, my best application yet is a lamy scribble mechanical pencil, also works great on removing the pad print on pad printed keycaps and turning them into silky smooth blanks
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline WhyYouLikeDis

« Reply #565 on: Mon, 21 August 2017, 21:38:58 »

I recreationally sand a lot of things down to a nice matte texture, my best application yet is a lamy scribble mechanical pencil, also works great on removing the pad print on pad printed keycaps and turning them into silky smooth blanks
Noice. Mine is a block of hardwood which happens to be my wrist rest.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #566 on: Tue, 19 September 2017, 09:11:55 »
I try a new tactile switch from time to time, in some cases like it, think it's great… and go back to typing on linears. Keeping it simple, I guess.

Offline E3E

« Reply #567 on: Tue, 19 September 2017, 11:31:50 »
I try a new tactile switch from time to time, in some cases like it, think it's great… and go back to typing on linears. Keeping it simple, I guess.

I'm pretty much the same way. I prefer linears the most, but it can be really fun to switch up into clicky or tactile for a bit. Contrast helps me appreciate the differences in my keyboards.

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #568 on: Tue, 19 September 2017, 16:24:16 »
I accidentally left my Hakko FR-300 (desoldering gun) on and hot, sitting on the edge of my table, for over a week... I only realized it was on because I happened to see the power LED blinking (I don't even know what that means but it can't be good)...

:confused:

Oh gawd. I get scared over the idea of forgetting about my soldering idea for a day, but a week... Damn! Good thing nothing got set ablaze!  :-X I think the worst thing that happened with me is leaving a soldering station while taking a two hour nap and I freaked a little when I woke up and noticed it on.
PROTIP: get a timed outlet. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FSQTSB8/

I accidentally left my Hakko FR-300 (desoldering gun) on and hot, sitting on the edge of my table, for over a week... I only realized it was on because I happened to see the power LED blinking (I don't even know what that means but it can't be good)...

:confused:

Oh gawd. I get scared over the idea of forgetting about my soldering idea for a day, but a week... Damn! Good thing nothing got set ablaze!  :-X I think the worst thing that happened with me is leaving a soldering station while taking a two hour nap and I freaked a little when I woke up and noticed it on.
PROTIP: get a timed outlet. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FSQTSB8/

I did this once.  However when I don't use it for a few minutes I turn it to the lowest setting which is 150 degrees or something.  I left it on onvernight.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Offline Duckyreddy

• Better skadoodle, poodle.
« Reply #569 on: Tue, 19 September 2017, 16:41:13 »
I was so close, so close from buying a Razer board with my pocket money (When I was 12...) that was back when they had Genuine Cherry switches and not their "Razer Greens"

The website I was ordering it from crashed on me and I never made the purchase.  :p

Now looking back, I'm glad I didn't get it, I'm glad I didn't fall in the Razer pothole.

Ducky One Cherry MX Silent Reds

Leopold FC660M MX Blue
Logitech G403/ Razer Naga 2014

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #570 on: Wed, 20 September 2017, 15:00:36 »

Yup. I love the sharp 'clack' it makes.

Yes after several key cap sets I have come to prefer stock ABS.  I feel the switch pop up faster than with heavier ones. Can't stand a generic Dell keyboard.  That is total crapola.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #571 on: Wed, 20 September 2017, 18:35:03 »
I in poor practice often eat and drink beer, soda or whatever near my board and staying up past my bedtime doing whatever project I'm working on, fall asleep and spill my beverage and frack up the board and have to desolder everything and replace or clean the switches.  This has probably happened 5 times, well maybe more. At least once I've thrown it out and just bought a new one.  I've wisened up and haven't done this in a year... Oh and of the 8 or 9 boards I own I only use two, the rest sit in storage...

OK, let me get this straight: You've spilled into boards 5 times or so, and at least once you've turfed it and bought a new one. But you actually use only two of the boards you own. So does this mean you've had to do this more than once with one or both of your working boards?

I'm just thinking about how I'd feel if I re-spilled into a board I'd already had to take apart and rescue.

I recreationally sand a lot of things down to a nice matte texture...

That's great, dude, but I do hope you remember to get out now and then.  :?)

Offline darren.beauchamp

« Reply #572 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 10:28:45 »
I buy keyboards just to try, then just pile them up.
Same here  ;D
I just cannot get past them in the store, swooning at the sight of them, shapes and colors... And think it would be great to have one for every day of the week (or to reflect the mood).
And then I just use my old shabby one, because I am too lazy to change them.

Offline Lazylewis

« Reply #573 on: Mon, 25 September 2017, 06:46:36 »
I've started buying keyboards and having them sent to work instead of home because I have too many at home. But now I've run out of draws at work.i bought my second pok3r (an RGB) and typed on it once just to see the led lighting and then boxed it up and never touched it again.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #574 on: Mon, 25 September 2017, 06:48:49 »
I've started buying keyboards and having them sent to work instead of home because I have too many at home. But now I've run out of draws at work.i bought my second pok3r (an RGB) and typed on it once just to see the led lighting and then boxed it up and never touched it again.
Might be time to start selling off a few? :D

Offline Lazylewis

« Reply #575 on: Mon, 25 September 2017, 07:10:54 »
Where do you sell them?mechmarket? I put the pok3r on eBay for about half what I paid for it and free shipping and it hasn't sold.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #576 on: Mon, 25 September 2017, 07:19:27 »
Where do you sell them?mechmarket? I put the pok3r on eBay for about half what I paid for it and free shipping and it hasn't sold.
Yeah mechmarket or the classifieds here.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #577 on: Mon, 25 September 2017, 12:14:46 »
I am typing this comment on a Dell rubber dome keyboard.

Offline zerobugz

« Reply #578 on: Thu, 28 September 2017, 03:36:33 »
I recently put my WASD v2 PCB inside an aluminum case off of AliExpress. I think it somehow shorted out after a week or so, now it's unusable. I'm using a Redragon with Outemu Blues (it doesn't suck, it's fullsize that's why I'm complaining). My RF 87 is used by my girlfriend until I get around to replace the switches on her CM MasterKeys Pro S - she spilled Coke on it.

And while building my Infinity ErgoDox I found out I don't have enough key caps to cover so I need to wait 3 weeks or so until a DSA set gets here from KBD Fans.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #579 on: Sat, 21 October 2017, 17:31:33 »
Don't know what is better... my X1C5 keyboard or my 87 UB 55G.

Also, not only did I flip my spacebar, I put some rubber under it COZ STOCK TOPRE SPACEBARS DRIVE ME MAD.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #580 on: Mon, 30 October 2017, 16:58:45 »
I can't forget DSA Dolch, I keep checking her pictures online

If she ever posts a picture with some macos add-ons and a fixed 1.75 Control, I don't think I can hold myself

Offline Fiery

• Click Clack Clock and a nice Thock
« Reply #581 on: Thu, 27 September 2018, 03:12:55 »
I spent a year building a nyquist keyboard  and getting the case 3d printed (the building is done, the case is not pretty but it's functional) but I have spent the last 6+ months just not using it because I don't want to program it as I don't want to fiddle with QMK and flashing it (I've had bad experience in the past not getting it to work and being a pain in the ass, on windows at least)
TP4 fanboy

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #582 on: Thu, 15 November 2018, 08:51:16 »
My E key isn't registering from time to time, but I'm too lazy to replace it, also I'm afraid the freshly lubed replacements' going to ruin uniformity compared to other loosened keys

« Reply #583 on: Thu, 15 November 2018, 16:44:45 »
I like the Outemu Blue switches more than Cherry MX Blue switches..

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
« Reply #584 on: Thu, 15 November 2018, 16:58:08 »
I ruined alps for myself by running the Nexus slider GB...I used to love them and because of how much work went into the GB, I can't look at them the same anymore. :(

Offline toby

« Reply #585 on: Thu, 15 November 2018, 22:48:43 »
i have some good(?) experience with two leopold fc750Rs, mstone groove t by breaking their pcb while trying to desolder them haha
but now that i think, they were a good testers(?) in order to get me ready for the customs or Kustoms haha

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #586 on: Sun, 18 November 2018, 16:55:32 »
at some point i was pretty knowledgeably when it came to modern mechanical keyboards and now i honestly have no ****ing clue anymore
I love Elzy

Offline portbaron

« Reply #587 on: Sun, 18 November 2018, 21:32:03 »
I sometimes throw away keyboards rather than go through the hassle of selling/shipping them.
| LIVING THE 1800 LIFE |

Offline frydaja

• "It's my last keyboard, I swear"
« Reply #588 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 02:17:45 »
I used a wrist rest and actually enjoyed typing on it.
Anne Pro 2 w/ Kailh Box Browns | CM Storm Quickfire TK Stealth w/ MX Browns | Unknown Chinese keyboard w/ Outemu Reds | Compaq-branded NMB RT101 | Gigabyte Force K81 w/Kailh Reds

Offline asphyxia

• i'm lovely
    • Twitter
« Reply #589 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 12:20:54 »
everything sucks besides linear mx(vints) and tactile alps

mt3 and other profiles are memes, the only good profiles are cherry and DCS

kbdfans ano is better than a lot of the top customs (lol)
TGR 910 CE / Kmac Happy HHKB / LZ CLS H / Duck Eagle V2 / Poly Singa / TX65 / DC60