Author Topic: [IC] CNC Aluminum Case for Topre RealForce TKL keyboards  (Read 147190 times)

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
Re: [IC] CNC Corian/Aluminum Case for Topre RealForce TKL keyboards
« Reply #150 on: Mon, 26 June 2017, 05:14:48 »
I now have the anodized aluminum case prototype in hand, and I couldn't possibly be happier. This is also the first time I've made a design for something involving substantial amounts of reverse engineering where I managed to nail all the details on the first try. Everything lines up and fits perfectly. :D

Frankly: I really, really like how this turned out. Radii everywhere, and no visible seam! Totally worth the fuss.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I'm now sending the verified design to the Corian manufacturer to see if they can pull off this design in that material. If that falls through, however, I'm delighted to observe that aluminum makes for a fantastic option. In that latter scenario, we could have a group buy rolling in just a couple of weeks.

Note that this doesn't have the PCB and magsafe cable. Those are on the way soon hopefully.

Also I've shown it here with the risers installed. Unlike the original RF itself, It can also be used dead flat (my own preferred orientation).

I look forward to hearing what you all think!

This looks phenomenal, really hoping a WKL version works out :D

Also absolutely loving the bottom of it
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 June 2017, 05:17:06 by dgneo »

Offline fine_italian_leather

« Reply #151 on: Mon, 26 June 2017, 07:35:24 »
Prototype looks great, hope WKL is possible.

Offline neon_tom

« Reply #152 on: Mon, 26 June 2017, 07:47:31 »
Wow, that prototype is stunning. I'll be very tempted by this when the GB comes around.

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy
« Reply #153 on: Mon, 26 June 2017, 08:27:38 »
I now have the anodized aluminum case prototype in hand, and I couldn't possibly be happier. This is also the first time I've made a design for something involving substantial amounts of reverse engineering where I managed to nail all the details on the first try. Everything lines up and fits perfectly. :D

Frankly: I really, really like how this turned out. Radii everywhere, and no visible seam! Totally worth the fuss.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I'm now sending the verified design to the Corian manufacturer to see if they can pull off this design in that material. If that falls through, however, I'm delighted to observe that aluminum makes for a fantastic option. In that latter scenario, we could have a group buy rolling in just a couple of weeks.

Note that this doesn't have the PCB and magsafe cable. Those are on the way soon hopefully.

Also I've shown it here with the risers installed. Unlike the original RF itself, It can also be used dead flat (my own preferred orientation).

Wow! Some of the other cases trying to do this have been awkward to say the least, this has nice aesthetics! Also thank god your not utilizing the nova touch with this one! Most likely in for one! Would be amazing to get black anno (or other interesting colors) to match my EK edition!

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #154 on: Mon, 26 June 2017, 08:28:00 »
I cannot believe I'm seeing something like this so soon. The 55g is my daily work horse. To give it something to make it stand out is a delightful dream of mine.
The Digilog case is out of my reach, and I wasn't too impressed by the colors. I am so ecstatic for this GB, however, because of the options and more-updated design.

Sorry if I missed it, but will there be options for the top of the case? I remember there was a poll and you asked for options on what to put up there. I remember entering a wood finish with grooves for writing utensils, etc.

As someone who owned a digilog for a very long time, you aren't missing out. The quality of the breakout board was sub-par, the anodizing scratched if you looked at it funny, and the feet were awkward as hell. This looks amazing though. I'm super excited for this design. It's gorgeous.

I've heard mixed feelings about it. Like, people would want it because it was one of two alu cases made for the Realforce, but after receiving it it seems like people weren't impressed.

Offline dblack

• Formerly ZuXzu
« Reply #155 on: Mon, 26 June 2017, 10:33:24 »
Prototype looks great, hope WKL is possible.

Would also love WKL, not sure if it would make that 84U build easier, need to find out.

Offline Troif

• Carpe Diem!!!
    • Daniel Ferrer
« Reply #156 on: Mon, 26 June 2017, 15:36:35 »
Please go from [IC] to [GB] ASAP!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
--
Filco TKL Ninja Blues / CODE Greens / Pok3r Clears / HHKBpro2 / RF 87U 55g / Novatouch TKL / KC60 Clears / SSK and also regular Model M

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #157 on: Mon, 26 June 2017, 17:49:09 »
This is absolutely fantastic Norbauer. You should be proud of yourself; it's one of the best looking cases I've ever seen.

Offline Burt Macklin

« Reply #158 on: Mon, 26 June 2017, 18:04:26 »
I wholeheartedly agree, simply brilliant  :thumb:

Offline sodiumjoe

« Reply #159 on: Mon, 26 June 2017, 22:09:59 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

wow, I've mostly been lurking for more news on an fc660c case, but that looks great, I think I'm going to have to get one for my 87u.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline bciamny

« Reply #160 on: Mon, 26 June 2017, 22:20:33 »
that prototype norbauer... wow. i don't own a topre board and i think i'll get one to just have that case. that is really an amazing piece you've designed.

is the portion of the case that gives it a slope removable or is that part of the frame greater?

Offline Blek

« Reply #161 on: Mon, 26 June 2017, 22:49:25 »
Is it at all possible for us to use our existing cables instead of the pcb?

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
« Reply #162 on: Tue, 27 June 2017, 00:57:10 »
Wow. Thanks for the kind words everyone! :D

is the portion of the case that gives it a slope removable or is that part of the frame greater?

Yes, absolutely. It can be used completely flat, unlike the RF itself.

Is it at all possible for us to use our existing cables instead of the pcb?

You can use an existing USB-C cable rather than the one that will be included, but you'll still have to go via the PCB included with the case.
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 June 2017, 01:03:44 by norbauer »

Offline Blek

« Reply #163 on: Tue, 27 June 2017, 01:01:27 »
Oh thats too bad, I just got a new cable with the Realforce connectors :(

Offline Darknight00z

« Reply #164 on: Tue, 27 June 2017, 05:12:59 »
Looks great, but I feel the bezels are a hair too thick on the sides (left right bottom). What do you guys think? I am buying either way... he hehe

Offline madindehead

« Reply #165 on: Tue, 27 June 2017, 08:17:49 »
Damn. That case is gorgeous. I think I need to buy a RealForce 87U just so I can buy one of these!

Offline norbauer

« Reply #166 on: Tue, 27 June 2017, 11:25:14 »
Looks great, but I feel the bezels are a hair too thick on the sides (left right bottom). What do you guys think? I am buying either way... he hehe

Unfortunately, due to the way the plate is designed, I don't have much wiggle room there, so I decided to embrace the technical constraint—"a feature not a bug"—and go for the bold sort of design with a formidable bezel that you see. If I decrease the thickness of the bezel at the bottom at all, we get a super thin wall in one area near the corner where I have to give clearance for the plate hold-down screws. It's already pretty thin in that area as it is.

A thinner wall there would make the case more likely to be damaged, both in transit and an use. This was an issue I encountered on early prototypes of my Novatouch case, and one I'm keen to avoid in future, as you'd imagine. I could technically decrease the bezel on the left and right sides, but then it starts to look weird and imbalanced.

So, yeah, what you see above is the result of lots of technical compromise and experimentation and my best attempt at balancing all the constraints of minimal bezels, no seam line on the sides, fitting the plate snugly, etc. If I were designing the plate and PCB from scratch, we'd have a lot more design freedom. Maybe someday. :)
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 September 2017, 11:45:39 by norbauer »

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #167 on: Tue, 27 June 2017, 12:45:09 »
norbauer, would you consider modifying the design to allow for different pcb overhang "inserts" to be installed? not sure if that would increase machining complexity

Offline Troif

• Carpe Diem!!!
    • Daniel Ferrer
« Reply #168 on: Tue, 27 June 2017, 15:52:28 »
Wow... my norbatouch is incredible... but I do jot even own a RF55 as I sold it... but I will buy one again!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
--
Filco TKL Ninja Blues / CODE Greens / Pok3r Clears / HHKBpro2 / RF 87U 55g / Novatouch TKL / KC60 Clears / SSK and also regular Model M

Offline FSund

« Reply #169 on: Wed, 28 June 2017, 05:59:50 »
Holy hell that looks amazing.

What color is the anodizing on the prototype?
Join the Mechanical Keyboards Norway Discord server

Offline nurupism

« Reply #170 on: Wed, 28 June 2017, 09:11:29 »
I think the prototype looks amazing at the moment, that's some great work.

Simultaneously, I'd love to have my Realforce feel as heavy as some of the Korean customs. I noticed talks of a brass weight on the first page, is that something that can still be considered?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #171 on: Wed, 28 June 2017, 11:45:15 »
Holy hell that looks amazing.

What color is the anodizing on the prototype?

Thanks!

The color is just clear anodizing, which could be considered "silver," but the color is really just the color of aluminum with a clear oxide layer on it. :)

Offline Jumie

« Reply #172 on: Fri, 30 June 2017, 10:24:25 »
Absolutely stuning.. can't wait for the gb to start..

Offline axtran

« Reply #173 on: Fri, 30 June 2017, 23:20:49 »
You're a wizard, norbauer!
MX Silent > MX Vintage Black > Everything Else

Offline Username?

« Reply #174 on: Sat, 01 July 2017, 03:24:34 »
This is a beauty!

I have your warm gray Novatouch case and I love it.
It seems that I need to buy me a realforce 88U to complement my realforce 105U. Otherwise I do not have anything to put in your new case. :)
/mynameis

Offline vulup

« Reply #175 on: Sat, 01 July 2017, 13:26:56 »
Looks incredible.

Offline ihalatch

« Reply #176 on: Sun, 02 July 2017, 04:41:38 »
Looks fantastic. I don't know it's just my working class aesthetics I'd like to see something on that big ass top bezel - metallic sticker .. badge?

Offline Username?

« Reply #177 on: Sun, 02 July 2017, 05:15:07 »
Looks fantastic. I don't know it's just my working class aesthetics I'd like to see something on that big ass top bezel - metallic sticker .. badge?

I imagined more of a recessed discrete logo on it.
Although a recessed metal badge would look awesome.
/mynameis

Offline avid

« Reply #178 on: Sun, 02 July 2017, 11:35:20 »
Probably the most beautiful case ive ever seen. Rather than someone who wanted thinner borders, i say this looks much better and adds to the uniformity of the board.

How heavy is the case? As someone said, brass/SS weights would be incredible.

Are you still toying around with the wood/quilted overhangs?

Now i need to get a white RF.
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 July 2017, 11:56:56 by avid »

Offline axtran

« Reply #179 on: Sun, 02 July 2017, 16:13:15 »
Probably the most beautiful case ive ever seen. Rather than someone who wanted thinner borders, i say this looks much better and adds to the uniformity of the board.

I like how you're asking about weight when this is about to be made of Corian. ;)

Offline avid

« Reply #180 on: Sun, 02 July 2017, 16:21:09 »

I like how you're asking about weight when this is about to be made of Corian. ;)

Assuming corian works out, i thought it would be availible in both aluminum and corian and thus the interest in weight (for alu version)

Offline axtran

« Reply #181 on: Sun, 02 July 2017, 16:27:47 »
Assuming corian works out, i thought it would be availible in both aluminum and corian and thus the interest in weight (for alu version)

I dunno, if stone works out, I'm in for a granite or obsidian weight. norbauer can make anything happen at this rate!

Offline thebabyparrot

« Reply #182 on: Sun, 02 July 2017, 21:06:38 »
How much are we looking for an approximation of cost? I'm definitely interested and I have a pretty good idea for a keyboard I'd love to do.   The only issue is trying to decide between Corian , Aluminum , and the colors :).

Offline consolation

« Reply #183 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 02:19:59 »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO..........................................

Offline norbauer

« Reply #184 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 18:59:16 »
How much are we looking for an approximation of cost? I'm definitely interested and I have a pretty good idea for a keyboard I'd love to do.   The only issue is trying to decide between Corian , Aluminum , and the colors :).

Given the increased significantly weight and machining complexity, along with the custom PCB and cable, all I can confidently say is that it'll be more than my last round of Novatouch cases, but I can't be more specific than that because I haven't yet gotten quotes for volumes any higher than one-off prototypes. I wanted to make sure that the design was finalized before approaching factories about production quotes—and I'm still waiting for the PCB prototype to arrive. =\

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #185 on: Mon, 03 July 2017, 19:46:39 »

Given the increased significantly weight and machining complexity, along with the custom PCB and cable, all I can confidently say is that it'll be more than my last round of Novatouch cases, but I can't be more specific than that because I haven't yet gotten quotes for volumes any higher than one-off prototypes. I wanted to make sure that the design was finalized before approaching factories about production quotes—and I'm still waiting for the PCB prototype to arrive. =\

I can't speak for everyone, but considering how long I've been waiting for a Digilog case to be available and considering how much I would have been willing to pay for it before this thread came along, definitely don't stress about this taking too long or being too expensive.

Offline FSund

« Reply #186 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 02:45:43 »

Any idea how Corian will compare to aluminium in terms of final price?
Join the Mechanical Keyboards Norway Discord server

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #187 on: Tue, 04 July 2017, 10:07:53 »
Proto looks amazing.   Count me in for at least one of each if aluminum and Corian will be available.   Great job!!

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #188 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 14:08:08 »
Interest registered in a black case.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #189 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 16:05:59 »
As much as I'd like a color different than what Topre already offers, I too will probably go for black. Or dark gray, if offered.

Exciting stuff! I keep checking this thread to see if there are more updates regarding the Corian option or any GB news!
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 July 2017, 16:37:53 by romevi »

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #190 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 16:25:16 »
I'll be grabbing dark grey for sure, but if we get some other color choices, they'll definitely be considered
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #191 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 17:06:39 »
I would buy one if it is made in Corian even I don't have a topre. I have always wanted a case that is not plastic or aluminium.

Offline Devkey

« Reply #192 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 19:59:48 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

This looks fantastic. How does it sound?

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #193 on: Mon, 10 July 2017, 06:15:22 »
This looks so good. I like big bezels and I cannot lie. i went and felt the corian pen holder in the Apple Store, not sure if I prefer it to aluminium but either way, I hope my wallet will let me in on the GB.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #194 on: Mon, 10 July 2017, 10:48:47 »
Just curious, what are the chances of getting a WKL one off?  :)

I've an 86u and have been hunting for a WKL case for a while (this one in specific).

If and when a GB happens, I'm seriously considering offering a Winkeyless option—if the economics make it feasible to do two designs.

I just noticed this. Please make this happen!
If I have an 87u, I don't need anything else, right? It's just the case that makes the difference? I guess space bar, too. Where do I get a longer Topre space bar?

Offline PerniciousPony

« Reply #195 on: Mon, 10 July 2017, 15:34:49 »
If I have an 87u, I don't need anything else, right? It's just the case that makes the difference? I guess space bar, too. Where do I get a longer Topre space bar?

You can use an 87u with blockers.  It'd look like this.  It's not symmetrical, but it works.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #196 on: Mon, 10 July 2017, 15:36:49 »

You can use an 87u with blockers.  It'd look like this.  It's not symmetrical, but it works.

What would you use?

Offline Stresemann

« Reply #197 on: Fri, 14 July 2017, 08:00:42 »
Looking foward to both Corian and Aluminum so baddd

Offline Auk

« Reply #198 on: Fri, 14 July 2017, 08:12:36 »
Realforce 87u on Massdrop
  • available 14th - 21st July
  • uniform 55g or variable weight
  • black or white case
  • PBT spacebars pack included (dark gray, light gray, blue & red)
  • $205, free shipping within USA
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 July 2017, 08:32:19 by Auk »

Offline stillzman

« Reply #199 on: Fri, 14 July 2017, 09:08:16 »
Realforce 87u on Massdrop
  • available 14th - 21st July
  • uniform 55g or variable weight
  • black or white case
  • PBT spacebars pack included (dark gray, light gray, blue & red)
  • $205, free shipping within USA

Man, really considering getting another one in white since I already have it in black, but do I really need to spend the money?? Because that means I'll have to buy 2 corian cases...

Btw how durable is corian? Obviously not at the same level as Alu, but if the case is dropped in some freak accident does that mean RIPieces?