Author Topic: Magicforce 68 - Basic/Cheapest Version  (Read 8515 times)

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
Magicforce 68 - Basic/Cheapest Version
« on: Wed, 23 August 2017, 12:29:52 »
I've seen this keyboard around A LOT and it seemed to be a pretty awesome choice for a budget friendly first time buyer keyboard. I picked it up this past Amazon Prime day and it hasn't disappointed me. If I could change one thing about it, I'd want the screws more easily accessible. I don't like peeling feet.

Here are my opinions on this cool keyboard.

Offline hayt

• * Maker
Re: Magicforce 68 - Basic/Cheapest Version
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 25 August 2017, 07:42:50 »
Nice review and intro :)

Just purchased one of these with blue switches for my Dad, and needless to say, he was blown away with it after years of typing on a wireless dell membrane. Great value and an easy recommendation for someone looking to upgrade their board at home or work.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 25 August 2017, 17:47:09 »
I've been wanting to try a 60% ish layout for awhile and I'm not really a fan of Outemu switches (the new ICE switches are nice, though!) so this is a great option.

Offline FloFoer94

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 01:24:41 »
Nice video as always merlin. 
Got the version with the dip switches, backlit and gateron browns. I hated the stock keycaps - they are not great, like you said - and replaced them with Tai-Hao PBT Backlit ones. Have yet to fix the stabilizer rattling. Then it's awesome. Just wished the spacebar wouldn't use gat browns, it should be heavier. I'm no expert on keyboard modding/building (yet). Is it possible to desolder and replace a single switch?

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 11:34:20 »
Got the version with the dip switches, backlit and gateron browns. I hated the stock keycaps - they are not great, like you said - and replaced them with Tai-Hao PBT Backlit ones. Have yet to fix the stabilizer rattling. Then it's awesome. Just wished the spacebar wouldn't use gat browns, it should be heavier. I'm no expert on keyboard modding/building (yet). Is it possible to desolder and replace a single switch?

Totally! I'd look up soldering/desoldering videos on YouTube before you attempt to do it. The first time is always the most difficult.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 11:35:38 »
I've been wanting to try a 60% ish layout for awhile and I'm not really a fan of Outemu switches (the new ICE switches are nice, though!) so this is a great option.

I think my favorite outemu switch is the black, they feel really nice to me for some reason even though they're supposed to be heavier than regular Cherry MX Blacks which I don't like lol.

Offline FloFoer94

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 12:07:54 »

Totally! I'd look up soldering/desoldering videos on YouTube before you attempt to do it. The first time is always the most difficult.

I soldered a bit before (no expert), should be no big problem. Desoldering is what i'm mostly afraid of :D The times i tried that in the past i sucked hard at it. But i think my solder sucker is garbage, always struggeld with that. Doesn't remove the old solder very good and thereby it's hard to get the old component off.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 18:56:36 »

I think my favorite outemu switch is the black, they feel really nice to me for some reason even though they're supposed to be heavier than regular Cherry MX Blacks which I don't like lol.
blegh, haven't tried the blacks but I have the reds and they are pretty awful. a little worse than the kailh reds I tried awhile ago.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 19:08:43 »
Great review.  My basic Magicforce 68 with Outemu browns is currently my DD now that I changed out the stock keycaps.  I had some SP doubleshots and it felt good, but recently picked up a set of thick dyesub pbt from Massdrop and now like the board even more.  The layout is perfect and the feel from the Outemu switches is very good, not scratchy or soft like cherry browns.  I really like this board with the pbt caps and a little lube on the space bar stabilizers.   

With SP doubleshots:
176897-0   

Current with PBT: 
176899-1                                                                                                                     
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline Koobaczech

• Don't forget to smile :)
    • Pearlboards
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 12:33:41 »
Nice ol review pal :D

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 12:55:30 »
Great review.  My basic Magicforce 68 with Outemu browns is currently my DD now that I changed out the stock keycaps.  I had some SP doubleshots and it felt good, but recently picked up a set of thick dyesub pbt from Massdrop and now like the board even more.  The layout is perfect and the feel from the Outemu switches is very good, not scratchy or soft like cherry browns.  I really like this board with the pbt caps and a little lube on the space bar stabilizers.   

With SP doubleshots:
(Attachment Link)    

Current with PBT: 
(Attachment Link)                                                                                                                      

Hey Badwrench! That first set looks like the Hellfire set or something that Originative was selling.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 12:55:48 »

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 16:11:37 »

With SP doubleshots:
(Attachment Link)    

Current with PBT: 
(Attachment Link)                                                                                                                      

Hey Badwrench! That first set looks like the Hellfire set or something that Originative was selling.
The black and red set is Sanctuary by SP.  The Dyesub PBT is the most recent set from Massdrop. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline Prothrin

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 04:30:27 »
Nice review. Unfortunate about the rattling, though.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 19:57:30 »
Thanks for the review! Mine arrived today (outemu blues) and it was totally fine upon arrival. I've used full size boards all my life but for the price (new) Magicforce 68 seems like the most logical option atm.

edit - One week later. Yep, the rattle is real and if you move your keyboard around a bunch the cable may occasionally fall out of the routing channel. Needs caps.
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 October 2017, 17:42:34 by csmertx »