Author Topic: The best non-mechanical keyboard you've ever used, ever  (Read 10582 times)

Offline mogo

• handshoes and horse grenades
The best non-mechanical keyboard you've ever used, ever
« on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 10:27:00 »
In lieu of YoshiCaps' thread about the worst keyboard you ever used, ever, what is the absolute best non-mechanical (broadly defined as any kind of switch you would catch **** for on GH for calling mechanical) keyboard you've fingered, and why?

My favorite was the Logitech Wave. It was my mainstay board for almost a decade. I loved the ergonomic shape, the comfy wrist rest, the media/shortcut/function keys, and I never had an issue with the typing feel. Sometimes I still miss it.

Offline Cynamin

Re: The best non-mechanical keyboard you've ever used, ever
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 10:53:27 »
I really enjoyed the Microsoft wireless keyboard 800, it felt pretty good and looked alright with my setup at the time. I still have one kicking around for traveling, at least until I get a compact mech to replace it.

Offline Zobeid Zuma

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 11:28:22 »
Umm...   I was very devoted to the original Macally Icekey USB Slim Keyboard for a while.  It was one of the first full-sized keyboards that I ever knew with laptop style scissor switches.  However, it was not the most durable, and I went through several of them (and they weren't exactly cheap).  I got to where I always kept a spare one in reserve.  I don't remember exactly when I stopped using them, but I still have my last spare Icekey, unused, in its original box.

One amusing quirk of the Icekey was that it had an extra blank key on the bottom row.  The bottom row was. . .

[control] [alt/option] [⌘] [ --- space --- ] [⌘] [alt/option] [control] [blank]

And the blank key does nothing.  I mean really, it's dead.  It sends no code.

I also still have an iMac DV keyboard.  It's a compact(ish) layout with half-height arrow and F-keys, no nav cluster (the arrow keys are scrunched in below right-shift), but it does have a num pad.  The key action I used to think was pretty good, though it hasn't aged well.  These were notorious for coming with a very short cord, but I got one off fleaBay with a full-length cord, which must have been produced for some institutional customer.

Offline ImpendingxDoom

• * Maker
  • MF the SuperVillain
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 11:49:12 »
IBM KB-7953

Cup Rubber so quality it mind as well be Topre

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 13:50:45 »
Still the BTC dome with slider keyboards. The switches kick most modern switches' asses, and the boards are well-built to boot. Caps are crap, but MX-mount, too.

Scorpius boards feel slightly better even, but are built like poop on a stick.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 15:14:40 »
I love Elzy

Offline SixtyLife

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 15:22:57 »

logitech k800. feels better than hhkb to me.
Kishsaver, JP SSK, Displaywriter SSK, 360C, HHKB Type S, X60, Jane v2, Jane v2 CE

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 17:18:53 »
I don't mind a rubber dome. I can handle a bit of mushiness and weak tactility but what really bothers me is if they're too stiff or feel "slow" coming back up like those mid 2000's Apple dome boards. Honestly most of the mass-produced Dell keyboards aren't so bad imo. However the newer ones are very slim scissor switches which are OK but they basically feel like typing on nothing compared to even a rubber dome.

Still the BTC dome with slider keyboards. The switches kick most modern switches' asses, and the boards are well-built to boot. Caps are crap, but MX-mount, too.

I got one of these recently and yeah they are excellent. Caps are crap but they look like they are Cherry profile which is interesting. I've noticed the key feel degrades a bit with use and the rubber gets a bit less snappy :c

IBM KB-7953

Show Image

I want one of these for nostalgias sake. They are like the ones I used in the computer lab in elementary school. A lot of the computers in the lab used a mix-match of Windows 95 to Windows XP IBM PC's and I always kind of liked to use the older versions for some reason.

Offline mogo

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 19:15:22 »
Show Image

That BAE

literally the only reason why i can't use it anymore :(
I love Elzy

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 22:31:03 »
Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic or Logitech K410

honorable mention to the QSENN dt-35

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 09:13:28 »
Toss-up between IBM KB-8923 and early-generation Dell Quiet Key, with a slight nod going to the IBM. 8923 is similar to but better than 7953, in my opinion.

I actually use one at work now, because I need to keep quiet and it is always subject to abuse and damage.
I am using a black one with half a dozen caps transplanted from a beige one just to spruce it up a bit.

Honorable mention: Compaq SK-2800 media keyboard

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 10:15:36 »
Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000.

First 104 Apple Chiclet-style Aluminum Keyboard.

Translucent Apple Keyboard that came with the G4.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline Budman

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 13:46:26 »
Rubber Dome:  Steelseries Apex 100 -
  Only $30. Feel like more tactile and soft landing MX Browns. Just the keyboard is so large for my current tastes. Full size large and thick. If this thing was like Logitech K120 size or so I'd bought five of them for safekeeping. The new Apex 150 is supposed to even be small improvement on this switch.

Scissor: HP Elite V2 -
  Been using this thing daily for 8 months now. Very good feeling tactile scissor switch with just enough snap and low travel. Solid plastic base makes it feel quality. I'd even say this is better than Apple's wired aluminum and better than the tiny travel of their new butterfly. I have hard time justifying anything else until this thing dies. Fly on it and comfortable for extended typing. 

« Last Edit: Sun, 08 October 2017, 13:59:23 by Budman »

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 13:49:21 »
Btw, Lenovo X1 Carbon 5th Gen keyboard. I don't miss my 87UB 55g nor my HHKB when I type on it.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 18:43:41 »

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 19:14:44 »
Specifically I am using this Packard Bell with BTC Domes as my daily driver atm.

Besides the caps, it's a really nice board and also my first ISO board. I was surprised by the metal backplate! I got it brand new on eBay for $20 shipped ($13.50)

Offline dante

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 20:58:03 »
Fullsize: Dell KB-522
Tenkeyless: HP KU-0901

I was at the car dealership yesterday and in the waiting area tried out a HP SK-2120; it had a pretty good/gentle feel that I liked.  It made me even forget my #1 sin: Putting a function key next to the left control (why baby jesus why).  I might acquire one if I can find it cheap.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 21:12:36 »
The Logitech scissor switches are good, as are a few laptop keyboards.

IBM KB-7953

This... These were really good.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 02:22:58 »
I agree that the BTC domes with slider are nice. I usually use tactile MX Clear or MX Blue but then I tried a linear mech (Red) for a week. While I was using the linear one, I got my BTC 5140 up just to check one thing ... and noticed that I much preferred it over the keyboard with linear switches. (I had originally bought the BTC only for the keycaps.)

I like the key feel in the Logitech DiNovo and DiNovo Edge. I have mentioned them many times now.

I am surprised that no-one has yet mentioned Logitech Ultra-X.

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 03:43:52 »
Dell SK-8110
The rubber domes they used in this had the perfect amount of snap. It beats many mechanical keyboards I have tried.
179895-0
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 October 2017, 03:45:49 by rich1051414 »
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline dante

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 09:28:19 »
The Logitech scissor switches are good, as are a few laptop keyboards.

I am surprised that no-one has yet mentioned Logitech Ultra-X.

The Ultra-X is excellent and IMHO the best keyboard Logitech ever made.  Someone will point out the Logitech Illuminated as the next best thing but I felt like the plastic they used gave me a greasy feeling extremely quickly and always made my hands sweat.  YMMV.

I'll also give a thumbs up to the Enermax Aurora Lite and Siig Premium Aluminum models while I'm at it.

Dell SK-8110.  The rubber domes they used in this had the perfect amount of snap. It beats many mechanical keyboards I have tried.

I'd say it's more tactile than ANY mechanical keyboard except for Alps and Buckling Spring.  It's been a while since I tried Topre 55g but I'd say the SK-8110 also beats it based on memory.

I know someone back in the day loved it so much they transplanted the domes into a different chassis that they liked better.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 09:40:33 »
IBM SK-8820. Nice texture on the keycaps which have a nice sculpted profile.

I think Lenovo made clones of this.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 09:42:13 »
Topre (these are non-mechanical, for sure).  And the BRS (buckling rubber sleeves) of the M4 IBM keyboards.

Offline Riverman

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 14:04:06 »
My favorite non-mechanical was always the Logitech DiNovo for Laptops, or the identical DiNovo Macintosh edition.  Those keyboards had a lot more travel in their keys than standard scissor switches.  I think they called it "Perfect Stroke".  Logitech's previously mentioned Ultra-X is a close second for me.

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 03:31:01 »
Dell SK-8110.  The rubber domes they used in this had the perfect amount of snap. It beats many mechanical keyboards I have tried.

I'd say it's more tactile than ANY mechanical keyboard except for Alps and Buckling Spring.  It's been a while since I tried Topre 55g but I'd say the SK-8110 also beats it based on memory.

I know someone back in the day loved it so much they transplanted the domes into a different chassis that they liked better.

I find that fascinating. I thought there was something wrong with me for liking it so much, and was embarrassed to mention it. Then I find out there's a whole group of people that love it too.
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 04:28:45 »

I find that fascinating. I thought there was something wrong with me for liking it so much, and was embarrassed to mention it. Then I find out there's a whole group of people that love it too.
You're far from alone. I get great feedback from my rubber dome videos - there's lots of people who like them, and who like that attention is being paid to those keyboards.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline mudcakehoney

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 04:42:58 »
Dell Wyse 901715

I'm using one of these at work at the moment and I absolutely love it, for a rubber dome it's very solid and has a nice thuck sound when I type. Everyone is trying to replace theirs with thin chiclet style keyboards and I'm keeping a couple of them hidden for spares ;)

« Last Edit: Tue, 10 October 2017, 04:45:14 by mudcakehoney »

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 06:49:06 »

You're far from alone. I get great feedback from my rubber dome videos - there's lots of people who like them, and who like that attention is being paid to those keyboards.
That's the thing, I don't like most rubber dome keyboards I try. Something is different about the sk-8110(and possibly other models made around the same time). I don't see anything special in the rubber or anything, its that semi-translucent silicone sheet as expected, and the sliders are built into the caps like all the other cheap rubber dome keyboards, but there is something unmistakably pleasant about the amount of tactility. The rubber buckling is borderline harsh but then cushion at the bottom, which normally feels horrible, actually has a purpose and feels nice. It was probably one of those things which was crap in just the right ways as to end up making something wonderful by accident.

One day I plan on giving Topre a shot to see if they indeed mastered that rubber dome feel, but I have heard from more than one person that they don't feel as nice as the sk-8110, which is interesting to say the least. I also need to give btc's a go. My dad had a packard bell with the BTC rubber domes on sliders. I need to go through his attic to see if I can find it.
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 October 2017, 06:55:49 by rich1051414 »

Offline dante

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 08:18:56 »

I'm not sure how I can write this without insulting somebody so here goes. :D

Some of us are looking for the perfect typing experience for personal preferences.  So what we end up with may not have double shot keycaps, PBT keycaps, the case may be a little creaky, and it may weigh a pound or less - but that's ok.

Yea, I get a stiffy when someone shows off a terminal keyboard with spherical caps but in the real world it's not what I like typing on.

Nobody should feel guilty about what they like typing on.

Offline mogo

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 08:56:28 »
Dell Wyse 901715

Show Image

I'm using one of these at work at the moment and I absolutely love it, for a rubber dome it's very solid and has a nice thuck sound when I type. Everyone is trying to replace theirs with thin chiclet style keyboards and I'm keeping a couple of them hidden for spares ;)

Hell yeah. I've kept one of these around as well. I like the heft of the board and the typing is quite pleasant.

Offline Ceraon

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 11:28:06 »
IBM KB-7953

Show Image

I have just dug one of those out of the loft.  I put it up there at a time when using an old PS/2 keyboard with USB stuff wasn't so easy but now converters are cheap I thought I'd give it another go.

So far it is going pretty well.  The only things that is taking a little bit of getting used to if the fact it is a US layout keyboard and I am in the UK so more used to the UK layout.  There is only a very small number of keys that have different symbols but the one that trips me up if the return key being horizontal on the US layout and vertical on the UK layout.  I have used US layout keyboards in the past, though, so I am giving myself a fair chance to get used to the layout.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 October 2017, 18:06:30 by Ceraon »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 12:20:54 »
The IBM 8923 has better build quality and nicer design than the 7953, in my opinion.

It also comes in both beige and black.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 12:46:40 »
Realforce 87U 55g

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 15:21:26 »
Realforce 87U 55g

I can taste the salt! Clever..

Offline mapple

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 15:41:53 »
In God We Trust

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 15:49:14 »
my thinkpad x301 has the perfect tactility. makes my x220 feel like junk.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline mogo