Author Topic: ISO someone to assemble new keyboard  (Read 1956 times)

Offline bettablue

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Geeks with a Grudge. Gotta Love'em
    • All Things DOS
ISO someone to assemble new keyboard
« on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 21:03:29 »
I am searching for someone to recreate as closely as possible, an IBM Model M keyboard with modern keys but somewhat unique tops.  I already know this wont be a super cheap, but the keys should be a bit stiffer around the actual numbers and numbers.

I also want the board to be the same size and shape as the original Model M too. This is very important.

Keys should be black with white legends.

So, is anyone out there willing to build this board for me?  How much will it cost me in parts?  And how much would you charge for labor?

Please send me a private message with your replies. 

Thanks. 
Vintage Computer user, and collector, specializing in the IBM 5150 Personal Computer, the World\'s first REAL PC!
Keyboards - IBM Model M X 2, IBM AT X 2, IBM KB8923, Apple IIe, and Mac SE boards. 

-----------------IBM Think!---------------------

Offline JohanAR

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: ISO someone to assemble new keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 14 October 2017, 03:43:14 »
Not volunteering but I looked into it out of curiosity when I was bored. Do you need it to be winkeyless with a gap between Ctrl and Alt? I saw some modern boards looking like this but they were TKL and maybe you were expecting a full size board, though I think Model M was available as TKL too. How important are the switches to you? Would it be ok to use for example MX Blue instead of buckling spring switches?

You could contact Matt3o and ask if he ever got anywhere with the buckling spring to MX adapters he was working on. If you could get a set of adapters you could put them on an original Model M and use whatever modern keycaps you like

Offline bmmcwhirt

• Trade Count: (1)
    • KB9YEN
Re: ISO someone to assemble new keyboard
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 23:45:11 »
I am searching for someone to recreate as closely as possible, an IBM Model M keyboard with modern keys but somewhat unique tops.  I already know this wont be a super cheap, but the keys should be a bit stiffer around the actual numbers and numbers.

You are looking probably for multiple people. You need an electrical engineer to design you a board to specifications.
I also want the board to be the same size and shape as the original Model M too. This is very important.

Assuming you get a Modem M keyboard you can just reuse the case.

Keys should be black with white legends.

So, is anyone out there willing to build this board for me?  How much will it cost me in parts?  And how much would you charge for labor?

Please send me a private message with your replies. 

Thanks. 

If you want to use the same profile as the Model M you might be able to just use Signature Plastics SA profile keys. I think thats pretty close if not exactly what the Model M is. There are other manufactures out there so investigate that.

If you want to do this all from scratch your looking at more money than you think. Probably a few thousand US dollars. If you just re-use a Model M case and get someone to design you a board to fit it your probably at a few hundred dollars.

JSYK I still have a full sized wired Model M in my ad.   https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=92113.0   Or if you are just wanting the case I can pull an SDL unit without a cable. However if you are wanting an SSK you have to get in line.

Once you decide exactly how you want to go about it we can probably better find the right people to help you out.