Author Topic: WhiteFox Kaihua Speed Silver?  (Read 6792 times)

Offline LoveYouFyi

WhiteFox Kaihua Speed Silver?
« on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 09:41:50 »
Hey guys, has anyone here used a whitefox with Kaihua Speed Silver switches?  I'm looking for a switch with least resistance.  Right now I'm using gateron clears, which work pretty well for me.  I'd like to try the whitefox, but don't want to get yet another keyboard if its switches aren't as easy to press down as what I'm using now.  I know there aren't many whitefox keyboards around...

Offline Harms

Re: WhiteFox Kaihua Speed Silver?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 14:10:50 »
The silvers will feel heavier than the clears by a good amount. It is 35g actuation of a clear vs 50g of a silver. 15 extra grams is quite a jump.

Offline LoveYouFyi

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 14:15:02 »
I must be missing something... it says Kaihua Silver Actuation force = ~27gf ....is that not similar to 27g?  I suppose  the "f" indicates something I'm not familiar with?
https://input.club/the-comparative-guide-to-mechanical-switches/linear/kaihua-silver/

Offline Harms

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 20:04:49 »
I must be missing something... it says Kaihua Silver Actuation force = ~27gf ....is that not similar to 27g?  I suppose  the "f" indicates something I'm not familiar with?
https://input.club/the-comparative-guide-to-mechanical-switches/linear/kaihua-silver/
I got my 50g actuation from :
https://www.novelkeys.xyz/product/kailh-speed-switches/

However, I tried both switches and the silvers do not feel like 27g lol. They feel even heavier than MX red for some reason :P. Gateron clears feel much lighter in comparison.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Offline llisandro

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 20 October 2017, 12:09:21 »
I've never used clears, but I use kaihua speed silvers for mod keys on a board with speed coppers, and I've got a DSI left hand with Cherry Reds, so I can compare to those. Short answer is I'd guess Silvers probably feel way more like Blacks than Reds or your Clears if you're just slowly pressing a key to bottom-out, but if you've trained to not bottom out clears, I wonder if Silvers might feel light and cushiony to you.

The Speeds have a very light initial force to overcome to move the key (~20g), and they bottom out a little shorter (3.6mm). Subjectively these things combined change the feel a lot versus reds. I always bottom out hard with reds, but the silvers' force curve is much steeper and I bottom out a lot less. With reds, they don't feel like the stiffness is increasing much at all after overcoming the initial bump to get the key moving, it just feels like a smooth slide until I bottom out. With Silvers, since they actuate so high, I know that I basically just have to get the key to move at all to actuate, but the stiffness after actuation helps slow my fingers down gently. I can rest my fingers lightly on a silver without it actuating, so it's not that much of a hair trigger, but they're pretty light.

Compare the force curves and this makes sense- Silvers depress at about 20, and bottom out a tad over 50, but at only 3.6 mm total travel, so the slope is about 9g/mm. Gateron Clears and reds slope is more like 5g/mm (bottom-out force is less too), so the silvers are a lot steeper, and bottom-out force is higher. Thus, there's a lot more work (area under the curve) required to bottom out a silver than a Gat clear and it'd feel a lot heavier if you hammer on the keys.

This feature of the Speeds is actually why I like Coppers, which is the tactile version-, for typing. About the same force curve as the Silver, but a small tactile bump that's way high up. I bottom out a lot less with these, because they actuate very light, but since they actuate early, most of the stiffness is after actuation, so there's less of a "freefall" sensation like I feel with Browns/Blues- the tactility lets me know it's actuated, but then the spring gets pretty heavy to cushion my fingers, and it helps me reduce bottoming out. Someone with stronger fingers might blast all the way to the plate with Coppers, but for those who prefer light switches, Coppers feel "cushioned" to me. 

ok, that was a lot of words, hope they help. I'd definitely recommend trying some some Speeds- they might not be your thing, but the feel is definitely different than most MX clones, I think mostly due to force curve slope, so it's probably love or hate.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 20 October 2017, 14:15:20 »
Thank you for the very detailed descriptions!  I learned something new.   :thumb:

Those coppers sound like something my hands would like.  ;D

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 21 October 2017, 05:18:27 »
Thank you for the very detailed descriptions!  I learned something new.   :thumb:

They're interesting but the tactility is super wimpy.

Offline llisandro

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 21 October 2017, 09:40:03 »
I agree that the tactility is very light, but to me it's a sharper, more well-defined bump to me than a Cherry Brown for example. For a person coming from gat clears, I'd guess the bump would be noticeable.

From what I've read, Coppers aren't very popular, but I wonder how much of this is because the average user prefers a much stiffer switch than a Copper. My board I use at home is a Matias QC, and THAT is tactile! It feels crazy stiff after acclimating to Coppers.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 21 October 2017, 13:55:54 »
I didn't try coppers for long, but to me they felt like off brand browns with a lighter spring to me. Some off brand browns have a tighter case, which makes the brown switch feel a bit different, and that is how the copper felt to me. It was no were near the tactility of clears(Cherry MX clear, not Gateron clears, which are totally different), just a bit more of a consistent bump. However, the higher actuation point did feel a bit different.
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 October 2017, 13:58:50 by rich1051414 »
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 21 October 2017, 15:59:03 »

They're interesting but the tactility is super wimpy.
On second thought, I think my hands may not like them, especially when blues even seem light at times.